News Rockruff Evolution and Ultra Beasts Shown in CoroCoro!

I really like the Midday Rugarugan, and it will very probably be in my Sun Team. The Midnight Rugarugan is OK, but I'm not sure whether I'll use it on my Moon Team or not...
Concerning their typing I'd guess Midday will be Rock/Normal, Rock/Fairy or Rock/Psychic (I don't really think the last one, but who knows?), while Midnight probably will be Rock/Dark, Rock/Fighting or Rock/Ghost.

UB-02 looks nice, both Beauty and Expansion. The Ultra Beasts are making me wonder what their story are. Will they be catchable or not? Do we have to fight them, or will they help us?

The Pokémon Sun & Moon animé looks awesome (I have a feeling that Ash will get all the three Starters!)

Rockruff's evolutions look awesome! I just hope they're not version exclusive since I kind of like the Sun version more.

There's nothing to suggest it will be, I think it's pretty likely that it will just evolve depending on whether it's day or night.
It does mean that it will probably be a bit easier to get nighttime Rugarugan in Moon and daytime Rugarugan in Sun, but that won't make it that difficult to get the one you want in whichever version you have.

I've been reading translations of this news everywhere when I should be getting ready to leaveeeee...

Anyway, I'm loving Rugarugan. I want both of those forms so badly. I also love the contrast between the two with the day form being so dutiful and ready with fur that goes outward, ears going up, a long tail, and spiked rocks vs how the night form has a much more menacing and evil presence, the rocks curling around it, the tail shrinking and mane expanding, becoming bipedal, and having those glowing red eyes against those normal blue eyes too. I'd love to see more of these two on the 14th! Or was that supposed to be when the corocoro comes out...
Oops! Almost forgot that I'm willing to bet that the day form will be Rock/Fighting and the night form being Rock/Dark with both sharing the same abilities as Rockruff but with the hidden abilities being Justified and Intimidate respectively. Also going to do a stupid guess for their english names and say Coawolycan (Coal, wolf, lycanthropy) Star and Crescent forms.

The UB's I'm indifferent about. Beauty makes me think of Vexes from My Life as a Teenage Robot and Expansion reminds me of the mosquito lady and Killer Kabuto from One Punch Man so... I don't have anything to day about them otherwise. Well, except that I like how Expansion's body is constricted by the black and dark red parts but looks like it's bulging a lot to emulate muscles.

With Type: Null being there, I'm willing to bet it's saying something like "It's true form will be revealed!!" or something. I'd be able to translate if I could read kanji... I need to finish learning Japanese so badly so I can help translate for the site... But, if it's saying that, then I can't wait! I bet it's face looks like this image I found last night. Or, at least similar to this, I hope.
type_null_unmasked_by_emdy93-dah1flq.jpg

Last thing is that I read on a couple sites that the Sun and Moon anime is Ash in school learning to be the best trainer or something? Then again, what doesn't he do that's the best? And if this is true, I feel like he'd be doing it because of the events of the Kalos League and Lumiose disaster. Also, Tapu Koko is in it so I'm guessing he'll be like, "Your Pikachu needs a nerf. *Zap!*" as per usual. Let's see.... It's nice to see a new animator for the team! Well, the character design overall seems much more modern, resembling Pokemon Origins even! Next, I honestly want Ash to change clothes at some point in the new series since Trainer Customization is back and they missed that chance with XY and XY&Z. Finally, I feel the odd feeling that Ash's female companion will not be Serena, Luna, or Lillie. In fact, I feel like his companions will be Hau and a trainer based on Luna along with a few others. That is, if it is a school anime.

Now, if you don't mind, I must go eat or I'll starve all day because Pokemon is more important than my classes lol.

Last edited:
basically confirmed that mega evolution will be in sun and moon if it wasnt already?

I like the fact Rockruff has a time based evolution (like Eevee had with Espeon/Umbreon). Their forms should not be totally different from each other like Espeon/Umbreon. I don't think they should be that much different; outside of their looks (and maybe some possible stat distribution differences).

Ahh my sweet Keaton is now a Pokemon!! I love it!!!

Fangirling aside, I wonder if the formes are permanent upon evolution or if they shift between day and night. Luckily these two do disprove many "leaks" and strengthen the few remaining.

Also what's with the Ultra Beasts looking like Aether Foundation members, I smell a conspiracy theory here * cue the x-files music*

Really loving the Rockruff evo forms. I was sure I was going to hate a "werewolf" type evo, because werewolves are always built to be big and beefy and masculine, but I really like how the Midnight form came out as well as the Midday form. Both look feral, bipedal or not.

With the Ultra Beasts, the tall one definitely resembles Lusamine from the Aether Foundation and UB-01 as Lilly.

Im very disappointed to see no Serena in the anime poster.... :( I like the art style though, and Ash's new look. He looks like he got a bit of a haircut too. Id like if the poster art was the same as the anime art. Im interested to see how the interactive Rotom Pokedex will play out in the anime. It seems like Ash is getting Rowlet, but it could also go either way and he gets all 3.

Does this mean the starters will have two different final evolutions?! Since there's a secret shared between Rockruff + the starters and this is the only thing close to a secret about Rockruff we've heard... this could actually happen.

I keep hearing about this rumor a lot, but where was "the starters share a secret with Rockruff" ever mentioned? Is there a source for it at all? Was that an official mention or a fan rumor?

Last edited:
I was a fan of rock ruff when I first saw it. Now it can evolve into either a werewolf thing or a powerful looking wolf thing. Can't complain.

Ultra beasts instantly make me think monster hunter. I don't know why. They just do.

Also The ultra beasts can easily be related to Gideon, aether foundations president, and lillie. I would be shocked if they are revealed to have nothing to do with them.

I feel like ultra beasts will have to be fought, depending on the version of the game you are playing. After all, if they are the secret forms of characters themselves, it would not make sense to be able to catch them.

One more thing. Has anyone noticed how Gideon's pose is very similar to owains from fire emblem?

Love the new Rockruff evolutions.
Still unsure how to feel about Ultra Beasts...

*looks at anime page*
... Yokai Watch got a new season! :D

The beasts are people that have been experimented on either by themselves, against their will or unknown to them.

The head scientist of that foundation will be the main villain, my guess. They not only 'care' for pokemon but do 'research project'. She will be the skinny beast we see.

The little jelly fish like beast is going to be the little girl, she probably doesn't know why that happens to her at first in the story.

Unrevealed character is probably going to be the macho mosquito, if not the scientist with green accessory.

Null is an all pokemon experiment.
Beast is a human and pokemon hybrid experiment?

To be honest did they really need to have these 'beasts? Alolan form pokemon would've been enough alongside the new pokemon.

Last edited:
When everybody talks about Ultra Beasts and you're just sitting here waiting to see UB-40...

I keep hearing about this rumor a lot, but where was "the starters share a secret with Rockruff" ever mentioned? Is there a source for it at all? Was that an official mention or a fan rumor?
It was from the CoroCoro issue, I think, that debuted Rockruff. Possibly the first or second issue after the revelation of the starters.

Also, it wasn't stated that they share a secret, but that the starters ALSO HAVE a secret. Whether it's the day/night forms or the rumored Z-forms is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Ok I'm getting both of Rockruff's evolutions, UB-02 Beauty is a bad bitch and I will defeat her she is also Lusamine, ultra beasts are clearly aliens and wanna take Pokemon away. They said Pokemon Go will be compatible some way I'm here for that, Me and Popplio will destroy UB-02 expansion and Ash looks like a stone cold dumbass I miss when the anime was good and FUNNY.

...I no longer want the UBs to be catchable Pokemon. Yikes. And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, but these new ones are giving me much more of a Pokestar Studios boss vibe.

Even though Rugarugan's midnight form is kind of your standard-issue edgy bipedal Shadow the Hedgehog sort of design, I like it a lot! I think its face is cute. :p The wording about the evolution method is still very curious. I don't think it will be as simple as evolving during the day or night, since they already explored that territory with Espeon/Umbreon.

Hmm, so this strengthens the speculation that the UBs are Lillie (01), Lumasine (02-Beauty), and Gladion (02-Expansion). Though the difference in 02 between versions makes me wonder if the story will be a lot different in each version. It also adds to the speculations that the UBs are invading if they are attacking the Guardian Tapu Koko.

As for Rockruff, while the forms are pretty awesome, we all saw it coming a mile away.

I'm curious as to why 02 is based off a cockroach though.

I suppose the rockruff evolution does lend credence to that idea of the starters having split evolutions, even though that would complicate a lot the arguably easiest to understand pokemon in the game.

I still don't like these ultra beasts without knowing what the hell they are; they don't look like pokemon at all; if you're going to make a world full of magical creatures, you shouldn't bring things that are similar but not at all those things.
Really strange. And let's hope for heaven's sakes they don't go that proposed route of experiments and human-pokemon hybrid or whatever; alien 3 did it and it was utterly disgusting; nothing good ever comes out of that. Pokemon and body horror don't mix, really.

That said, hello, another reason to get Moon; I do hope you're catchable, or at the very least, good. Also, please don't be lusamine, either.

Ash looks even dumber than usual in that picture; so does pikachu.
However, I don't care, because lillie seems to own an alolan vulpix. Hm... would her owning a pokemon discredit that theory of her being UB-1, or will you people start the rationalization machine again, I wonder. Let me guess; vulpix is an extension of her body. Or an illusion. Holograms, perhaps?

Rockruff's evolution is known of my favorite Pokémon. I really like how it has multiple formes. Also the new Ultra Beasts are pretty awesome. Also, RIP Amourshipping :)
*proceeds to run around like an idiot* I TOLD YOU AMOURSHIPPING WOULDN'T BE CANON!! I TOLD YOU!! WOOOOOO!! NO MORE SERENA HALLELUJAH!!! (Sorry, just got super excited there)

As previously stated, I am RIDICULOUSLY happy that Amourshipping won't be canon, and that Serena will be gone FOREVER. The whole "Ash going to school" thing seems weird to me, mainly because there are a bazillion other anime that have done the same plot. I also hate the art style in the anime poster and-Ugh, it's so weird...
Anime rant aside, I love the day form of Rockruff's evo (forgot the name). Definitely adding it to my team. The Ultrs Beasts are freaking weird. As someone said, they look like rejected Digimon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back