• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Darkness Toolbox - First Deck Help

Ubertako

Aspiring Trainer
So this is the first deck I have ever built to try and play competitively. I haven't played the game since I was a kid always wanted to play but friends told me to play other card games with them. This year I decided I'm doing my thing and have come back to Pokemon. This is my deck I took it to a tournament last night (didn't realize it was an expanded tourney til to late). But still came in second so that was fun. Any tweaks or advice is appreciated!

Pokemon - 15
3 - zorua BKT
3- zoroark BKT
1- zoroark break BKT
2- yveltal xy150
2-shaymin ex ROS
1- umbreon ex FTC
2- yveltal GEN
1- yveltal BKT

Trainers- 33
4- sycamore
2- n
2-lysandre
1- hex maniac
1- ninja boy
4- vs seeker
4- ultra ball
4- max elixir
3- trainers mail
2- float stone
2- fighting fury belt
2- reverse valley
1- special charge
1- super rod

Energy- 12
4-dce
8- dark

Hi @Ubertako

Nice one on finishing 2nd - your list looks very solid! I especially like the Umbreon-EX to clean up on Mega Pokemon. Did you manage to take 4 prizes at any point with End Game?

Since the release of XY, Yveltal-EX has always been a good play in one form or another and it has a lot of flexibility to be good with a range of attackers/support options. As with a lot of decks at the moment, Garbodor (BKP) is a strong partner. If there are a lot of Greninja BREAK or Volcanion-EX decks at your locals, consider playing a Garbodor variant of list. The obvious change to make would be to cut the Zoroark line down (or completely) to find room for 2 Trubbish and 2 Garbodor.

This isn't absolutely necessary but is useful to bare in mind if you want to adapt later on.

I did manage to kill a mega mewtwo X with umbreon for the 4 prizes so that felt nice. Your idea actually helps since what I lost to actually was a pure volcanion deck. I feel I could have one if I played a bit better but I learned so it was a lot of fun. I like zoroark a lot but I'm okay with cutting him. If I cut the line for a 2-2 garbodor line what else should I put for the 3 extra slots?

maybe some dangerous energy, they're sort of good against EX's. Placing 2 Damage Counters everytime they damage you.

That's not a bad idea. I actually kinda forgot dangerous energy existed lol. I might mess around with them in there and see how they do. I'm trying to get the deck ready for my first ever league challenge this weekend

@Ubertako Nice one man. Bet that felt good!

Just a heads up on Dangerous Energy - if you run it at the cost of your basic Darkness Energy then you'll reduce the likelihood of success from Max Elixir.

Another thing, if you find yourself running a Garbodor variant without Zoroark then I would add Pokemon Ranger too. Otherwise you are extremely vulnerable to Jolteon-EX's Flash Ray.

Your deck looks very good for your first one ever.

I don't think that Dangerous Energy is a good play with Max Elixir in the deck. If anything, I think you need at least one more Dark Energy in the deck.

I think that you also need another Ninja Boy, since that card is just incredibly powerful in modern dark decks.

I would cut your Special Charge, you have all sorts of Energy recovery as it is with Yveltal from XY and GEN.

I can't find a big cut to make for that second ninja boy, but your space from the Special charge should go to another Dark Energy. This gives you more chances to hit your Elixir.

If you can find something worth cutting, it'd be nice to fit another Ninja Boy. My suggestion is the Super Rod.

@WastedSkyPirate
Good point on that. I forgot about jolteon. I think I am gonna give it another shot at the league challenge with the zoroark to see better what people play at my locals and then make my cuts from there.

@k0mmandant
I have a habit of researching everything I can when I get into any type of game and try to go from there. I would've started playing a bit sooner but I wanted to avoid night March. I was thinking of cutting the special charge since I don't remember using it at all. I had thought about a poke puff but the card seems way to inconsistent. I added the second lysandre after the tournament since i felt I could have won against the volcanion if I had him. Never once saw it in either game

I think for a first deck this is solid man. I have a deck very similar list exept mine is quad zoroark/pokepuff. If you want I could share my list with you.

I think for a first deck this is solid man. I have a deck very similar list exept mine is quad zoroark/pokepuff. If you want I could share my list with you.
Sure I would love that. I had thought about poke puff here but never had any luck with it online.

Sure I would love that. I had thought about poke puff here but never had any luck with it online.
The trick to pokepuff is a play all (or 3) or none type deal. Its the kind of iteam that you wont hit everytime you use it, but think of it this way you at least will know what is in your opponents hand. It combos nice with n. :)

I have cut the special charge and super rod for the time being and added the extra ninja boy and energy. Debating cutting a 1-1 zoroark line to add some other techs but so far they have worked for me and not quite sure what I would put in for them. Thought about a parallel city to bump my shays since with zoroark I don't care about their bench as it is just free damage for me. Also debated on one more fighting fury belt or a second fight night yveltal. Also considered finding a spot for a second zoroark break since his attack has come in handy

Last edited:
I like these changes and your profile picture.

Would it be fine for you to either post or comment a revised decklist and have you considered Darkrai EX?

Hey man, been tinkering with this sort of strat myself, I'll link my list in a mo, but as of now, I'm finding it a little lackluster...The format is much bigger than it was, and this deck, kinda plays fair, too fair, most things go over the top of what you're trying to do, in my experience. I'm still tweaking so this could change.

In a format of fast Mega's and Big EXs, it often seems too slow, in theory it does well against decks doing powerful things, but those powerful things are often more powerful than what we're doing...

Like, I said, just my thoughts so far...

My List as of now..Trying some different options...

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Umbreon-EX FAC 55
* 2 Yveltal BKT 94
* 1 Yveltal XY 78
* 2 Yveltal-EX PR-XY XY150
* 1 Zoroark BREAK BKT 92
* 2 Zorua BKT 89
* 2 Zoroark BKT 91
* 3 Mew FAC 29

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 2 Captivating Poké Puff STS 99
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Reverse Valley BKP 110
* 2 N NVI 101
* 2 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 13

* 9 Darkness Energy GEN 81
* 4 Double Colorless Energy FAC 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I consider Fright Night Yveltal to have more Value than Oblivion Wing right now, hence, the 2-1 Split..
I trimmed the Zoroark line slightly, as it's still a useful back up attacker and occasional clean up, but is often overwhelmed in power..
Mew works well with Fright Night etc, and is weakness against Mega Mewtwo and other Psychic Types.

Pokepuff, well, has done next to nothing for me as of now, and the Umbreon seems like a trap.

Yeah I can hear where you are coming from I have a fully built mega mewtwo deck that I put together it's the standard shrine build but I don't have fun playing with it. I've had fun with this deck so at least wanna do what I can with it and use it to learn the game better. I was gonna do the 2-1 split in favor of fright night but turns out I only own 1 so once I get a second I had actually planned on doing that. I had thought about mew but again only own 1 in real life and in my online tests there were just so many garbodors that it was just a dead card other than the free retreat. I love the umbreon even if it was only once the ninja boy into knock out for 4 prizes felt so good. Someday it might get cut but for now it's fun lol.

@Greninja13
I would be happy to repost it once I finish messing with it before the LC. I have thought about 2 darkrai as additional attackers and was thinking of replacing the 1-1 zoroark I thought about cutting with 2 of them. Not sure though

Back