News Solgaleo GX and Lunala GX: Pokemon GX Mechanic Revealed at Worlds!

I'm reserving full judgment until we get final designs and see some more of the cards, but I'm honestly not very impressed so far. I don't like the GX card design, and if these semi-FAs will be taking the place of full textured FAs, there goes the main thing that I like to collect with the Pokémon TCG. I can't really speak for the competitive aspect, but the collector in me is kind of worried. I may end up sitting the Sun/Moon sets out.

I love them! And we will see how useful they will be. It feels to me that they are Grand Ex Pokemon. Stonger EX Pokemon, but not Mega's.

meanwhile in japan:

"k guys, we need new ideas."

"why don't we rearrange the formatting, throw some crap on the side and call it GX instead of EX?"

"I LIKE IT!"

I don't think we can assume EX's are gone, to me the fact that the showed the EX, M and Break Logos before showing the GX logo seems to indicate that it's the next addition to the game, each of those didn't replace the last, EX's started in Gen 5 and didn't get replaced by anything going into Gen 6 so new Gen mechanics don't have to replace the old ones.

I can see the first S&M set having just these 2 GX cards but also having new EXs, Megas and Breaks.

As for the cards themselves, the Solgaleo is decent as a tech like KeldeoEX was as it provides the same function but better, no need to run Float Stone. I can't see it being used to attack, they do seem like they're supposed to be splashable in any deck though so I can see the GX attacks just being high cost Colorless attacks.

Lunala looks like a meta defining card, a basic that can freely move your energy is really good already but then since moving energy allows for Max Potion healing, it's attack then prevents the healing, I can see if first being used as a supportive Pokemon but then moving to just be quad Lunala decks to counter each other.

Last edited:
I don't know how i feel about design. They kinda look like ancient trait cards.
Hmmm i like it,especially Solgaleo GX.

Lunala's GX attack with umbreon ex and you can get all prizecards in one turn.

How would that work? it's a GX attack, not an ability. So you have to use an attack. And Umbreon only gets 4 prizes from KOing a mega, so you can't do both on one turn.

when i first saw the cards, the first thing that came on my mind is that Pokemon TCG will get a very huge revamp and make it play more similar to Cardfight Vanguard or Buddyfight because of the design (that card design screams CFV for me at least). it would be actually cool if we get a spin-off TCG that plays like one ;D

the holo pattern will be the determining factor whether if these cards would look better in physical form. at least they're ditching the horrible yellow border this time. i hope the normal ones gets the same treatment too.

edit: i'm actually excited at the possibility we'll get a Shiny M Rayquaza GX. i'll sacrifice a couple of pikachu just to get one :3

That would be awesome if you could use it more than once!

The card doesn't state that the Pokémon itself can't use the GX attack more than once. It's an effect set for the entire game. Zoroark BREAK or any other copying Pokémon wouldn't be able to use their attacks. This I can pretty much say for sure. Wait for the ruling on Pokémon Rangers, it ersases all effects of attacks... I'm afraid though they screw us over as they did with Pokepuff, their newfound mechanic can't be that broken.

Also, those who are still wondering if these GX cards will be a form of evolution (like BREAKS). Read Lunar Fall again.

Basic Pokémon that isn't a Pokemon GX

So...

...instead of balancing out the existing game mechanics, some of which have been problems since Base Set, we tack on a new gimmick that is inspired by the new video game gimmick... but which is a lot harder to track in the TCG. Listen, I'm not in charge of the game but if y'all don't start demanding better, we ain't getting it. ¬_¬ Okay, so my concerns about pacing the game properly so we can finally balance out the Stages of Evolution, get first turn attacks* back (because the game was better when set up attacks had time to work), etc. are only tangentially related to Pokémon-GX, I'll leave it at that.

So really looking at Pokémon-GX, how are we supposed to easily track whether or not a player used one of those attacks during a game? Originally Supporters required they be put into play and then discarded at the end of your turn to help remind you; it was difficult for some to adjust to the modern approach (just remember!) but remembering for a single turn that you used a Supporter for the turn is not like remembering whether or not you used a particular attack.

There are so many video game mechanics that have yet to get a TCG counterpart, but in some cases that is just fine because a 2-player TCG =/= 1 or 2 player video game experience. Still that just screams gimmick and... well most TCG gimmicks are either fleeting, problematic, or both. We'll see if they can get this one working well. The fact that the name is different should raise some concern; we lost the much better system of "Poké-Powers" and "Poké-Bodies" because the video games finally added in a mechanic similar to them, but called it "Abilities". Why wouldn't they want these to match up?

*I don't want donks back; the problem isn't attacking first turn it is that the designers keep giving us attacks that can score a KO first turn, instead of not designing cards capable of doing that and letting the old stuff rotate out. Of course Expanded still makes that a problem, but if the sooner the-powers-that-be deal with this, the sooner even Expanded play can be remedied.

Last edited:
It might go without saying but doesn't anyone find it suspicious that there's goo to the left of the GX Abilities? What does that mean?

Solgaleo GX 180 HP?
Sunsteel Strike MMMC or MMCCC?
Weakness Fire
Resistance Psychic
Retreat 3?

Lunala GX 170HP?
Phantom Ray PCCC or PPP?
Weakness Psychic
Resistance -
Retreat 2?

It might go without saying but doesn't anyone find it suspicious that there's goo to the left of the GX Abilities? What does that mean?
It's on purpose, the goo/rocks are covering areas TPCi don't want us to see - spaces where typically HP/stage/dex/etc entries go.

It's strange that they've shown them in this way, this earlier and so much of them (and in their EN format too), unless it is purely to gauge the reaction, which is luke warm at best.

Considering that this seems to basically be the same as the Z-Crystal thing for the games, I wonder if they will bring back the delta species idea since they are doing that in the games as well.

With Lunala-GX I wouldn't be surprised if it's attack, ability and a combination of max elixirs (and maybe puzzle of time for consistency?) would create a powerful donk deck where you simply max elixir to a benched pokémon, move the energies with the ability then use the GX move to knock out whatever they have in play instantly.

Even if they can quickly apply pressure you can always move the energies off, Max Potion then move them back.

Really? Are the "new mechanics" Pokemon is going to introduce just going to be buffed-up versions of EXs? ヽ(`⌒´メ)ノ

I like that they integrated Z-Moves into the TCG, but I think they could have made a more creative mechanic that didn't just involve making more OP Pokemon with ridiculously powerful attacks. However, I do like that they're moving away from the BW card template.

Back