Crabrawler, Sandygast, Palossand, and Stufful Revealed at Worlds!

I think Stufful might be the first Pokémon that I genuinly dislike. The mouth just looks all wrong, the weird head band thing and the tail-tag just looks wrong to me, and the head also looks way too big :/
Really like Sandygast and Pallossand though, they look super cute! Also a shovel radar? Love it! Crabrawler looks cool as well, though I think I would've preferred if both eyes were bruised, since the open eye looks kinda off to me, but hey, can't always get what you want :p

Loving the sandcastles. I'm guessing sky high defence/HP to go with the ability, which would mean; avoid special water attacks but sponge Gyarados/Azumarill's waterfall/aquajet.

Most water moves seem to come from them nowadays anyway, except for scald every now and then (in higher battle spot singles play that is)..

Here are my thoughts on the new Pokémon, as usual.

Crabrawler:
BIG. MEATY. CLAWS! That aside, it seems odd to have another crustacean that isn't a sea creature. Then again, Dwebble and Crustle are a thing, and the species Crabrawler is based on cannot swim, it seems. At least Iron Fist will have it's uses. More crab Pokémon are always welcomed, so I welcome this new butt-kicking crustacean mon.

Sandygast:
A wild Yo-Kai appeared! Couldn't resist it. A sinister sandcastle born from grudges is a pretty cool concept. Anything is possible in the world of Pokémon, after all. It has a new Ability that sharply raises it's physical defense if struck with a Water Type attack.

Palossand:
I applaud this Pokémon for looking much different compared to it's pre-evolution. This thing must be an absolute beast in battle. If I find some usable stats from it, this monstrous sandcastle's definitely on my team. This Pokémon is 2Spooky4U, Alolans!

Stufful:
Bewear's pre-evolution does not disappoint in the cuteness department at the very least. I'm kind of getting a Winnie the Pooh vibe from this Pokémon and it's evolved form.

With these words, you're cutting out half of the first generation! We have Grimer/Muk, very beautiful and inspired uh... or Diglett/Dugtrio, a bunch of... fingers? Voltorb/Electrode... a Poké Ball and a reversed Poké Ball, that makes sense... and that's all for the moment! And this was when they had "inspiration", I suppose... Stop with that "inspiration" groan, I find these sand castles very very original! A sand castle with a ghost in it, just strange and original, nobody was expecting it and it fits perfectly inside an exotic environment.

I'm sorry; I'm confused; I thought I said, right in the fragment you quote, that I wasn't one to throw around that stupid argument without reasons?
At its core, that argument is usually just a stand-in for people to say "I don't like this pokemon", which is perfectly valid, but far from the "objective" fact it is presented as.
So if I dislike a pokemon, I'll say I dislike the pokemon in no uncertain terms, as I've been doing since this generation started; if I believe a pokemon is too simple to be a pokemon, I'll say why; I'm not some 10-year old who can't express her ideas with propriety.

A simple design is not the same as a... for lack of a better word, a "simpleton" design. Pokemon has never lost their inspiration, from the first generation onwards; they can be guilty of overdesigning things sometimes (solgaleo and lunala, several megas), of using concepts that don't mix well (aromatisse, aesthetically, aurorus, mechanic-wise, jynx, concept-wise), or even poor design, occasionally (aromatisse, stufful, many others), but their "inspiration" whatever that means for the people using that argument, is well and good.

All those you mentioned (barring voltorb and electrode; they do feel deserving of that qualm; or at least, their story as mutated pokeballs does; the idea of "explodey bomb pokemon", however, is actually very good) may be simple, but not dumb, because it's inspired by the whac-a-mole game; dugtrio may seem lazy, but sometimes, you can just put a thing next to another thing and call it a day; magneton is the same; people call it lazy, but give me a magneton any day over magnezone (another overdesigned pokemon that throws away the charm and cleverness of its first evolution). They're not simple, only formally; conceptually, they're much more complex than sandygast and palossand.
Grimer and muk are more interesting than just a pile of irradiated mud, too; they're also a message about the environment, and for the first generation, necessary and unique poison-type options to play with.

And you just showed perfectly, by contrast, why the "inspiration" argument is not good, thank you for that.
I find these sand castles very very original!
They are original, that much is true; we never had a ghost sand castle before.

And... are they anything else?

They're original, but almost every single pokemon line is original in that sense; even all the pikachu knockoffs are original, because none of them is pikachu itself, just a very familiar grouping of design cues reminiscent of pikachu; that doesn't mean they're not absolutely boring, even if they are cute. Even the three monkeys are original, since their types are different; they're still a permanent waste of pokedex space for a one-game gimmick. Not to mention, boring, and they're not even cute.

And, I'm sorry, but nobody was expecting them? be honest, do we ever truly expect a pokemon? I wasn't expecting a horrible psychic fish with bruxism, for example, or a private eye mongoose, and I wasn't expecting a "I'm going to wear you as a suit" little ghost either.
If something is "expected", it will be because the fakemon artists already ground that idea so far into the ground that it became common expectation: the dolphin, for example. "Not expected" covers all the pokemon ever made; it's far too wide a reason to speak, well or ill, about any pokemon.

The actual concretion of the designs is as good as always, but it's impaired by the poor concept and cliche ghost-type characteristics; as I said with dugtrio; the simplicity of its form comes back from diglett (basic pokemon are always simpler than their evolutions, and this was the first generation, whose style was simpler than in subsequent generations because of the times and having less experience), and the use of addition as the only significant operation in its evolution is because it draws inspiration from whac-a-mole. Same with magneton; magnets stick to each other; it makes perfect sense that a magnemite would stick to two others to evolve. Even barbaracle uses the same resource, and as ugly as it is, it makes sense, because that's something barnacles do.
But they use a resource; these two go from a lump of sand with a hole through it to a sandcastle with a hole through it; it becomes bigger, that's it; there's nothing more there; the backstory and ghost type features from the description are found in every other ghost type, and the shovel... well, if "radar shovel" is the best you have to defend a pokemon's interestingness, I'm terribly sorry for your choice.
So, yes, I do feel these two don't have sufficient inspiration, as in, they draw from too few sources to become what they are, and the ones they do use are either simple or overdone.

But, I agree with you, people should stop using the "they don't have inspiration anymore" argument; if they don't like something, they can just say so, we can like and dislike different things.
But to talk about inspiration, you need to present some good evidence, because there are about 7 generations of pokemon, with their highs and lows, proving otherwise.
And the opposite is also true; just as people shouldn't lambaste designs with empty arguments such as that, defending them with equally poor arguments is just the same mistake; a defense based on "because I like it", is... not a good defense, really.

This is what I mean.

lR5BoWo.png

See? its face is just wrong.
Red non-withstanding, it's actually still kinda cute like this...

Sorry if this is a dumb post, but I'm starting to feel like we're seeing some version exclusives already. I feel like Tortunator, Sandygast, Palossand, and Comfey are Sun exclusives and Crabrawler, Stufful, Bewear, and Bounsweet in Moon.

Aside from that, I'm honestly really living these. Well, except for the fact that I imagined a Palossand eating a poor Pyukumuku. Crabrawler was a huge fake out for me, looking like a water type and all. Lastly, if they ever make a Stufful plush and put the tag the pokemon has on it then a real tag on its leg or something, I'll flip out. It's too adorable to screw up

Okay, just popping in quick so I'm not following the current discussion but...

...does Crabrawler remind anyone of Franky (One Piece)? If you're not familiar with One Piece, I am talking about an older look Franky had. ;)

But they use a resource; these two go from a lump of sand with a hole through it to a sandcastle with a hole through it; it becomes bigger, that's it; there's nothing more there; the backstory and ghost type features from the description are found in every other ghost type, and the shovel... well, if "radar shovel" is the best you have to defend a pokemon's interestingness, I'm terribly sorry for your choice.
So, yes, I do feel these two don't have sufficient inspiration, as in, they draw from too few sources to become what they are, and the ones they do use are either simple or overdone.
I agree with your points on how conceptual simplicity and design simplicity are different things, and also that the former is capable of justifying a simple design.
However, I think that, as with the concept of Voltorb, Magnemite and Diglett lines, the sandcastles concept works well enough. They don't simply "possess people and drain their life force" as is the case with several Ghost types. They posses adults and children and make them add more sand to them, to make them bigger. That's a nice in-game explanation as to why we make sand castles in the first place.

I agree with your points on how conceptual simplicity and design simplicity are different things, and also that the former is capable of justifying a simple design.
However, I think that, as with the concept of Voltorb, Magnemite and Diglett lines, the sandcastles concept works well enough. They don't simply "possess people and drain their life force" as is the case with several Ghost types. They posses adults and children and make them add more sand to them, to make them bigger. That's a nice in-game explanation as to why we make sand castles in the first place.

See, that would be a good explanation if making sand castles was an unconscious response, thus adding a pokemon-world explanation to a mostly unexplained urge we have (I believe darkrai and cresselia are examples of that? there are probably more). But, making sandcastles is a conscious decision, so it's not really explaining anything, not the urge (because there isn't one), not the custom (because it doesn't say so; if it did, there you would have something interesting about them), nothing, it's just isolated from any kind of world-making context.

Does Sandygast evolve when it reaches a certain amount of sand added? that would be interesting and unique, more than the usual "sucking life force" thing. Were the first people making sandcastles actually possessed by Palossand, and it caught on later? a nice bit of history. Maybe people make sandcastles to make Palossand think they're already possessed and leave them alone? that would be an excellent fact about them. But no, they're life-suckers, possessors and wanderers.

Just... imagine them differently; as that ghost snowman that was leaked.
Imagine I, GF, show you the design of two stages, a large-ish snowball that turns into some sort of an evil Olaf, or something, and my descriptions are:

Snowygast
Category: Snow Heap Pokémon
Type: Ghost/Ice
Height: 1’08”
Weight: 154.3 lbs.
Ability: Water Dissolution

A Snowygast forms when the grudges of Pokémon and other creatures soak into the snow after they fall in battle. In essence, it’s a possessed lump of snow!

If you heedlessly grab a Snowygast, you’ll fall under the Pokémon’s control. A Snowygast uses its power to manipulate children into gathering snow to increase the size of its body. If a Snowygast is dropped, they'll roll to find a new child. These Snowygast are wanderers in search of people to increase their size.

Being hit by a Snowygast can suck the vitality from people and Pokémon. Apparently it’s a test of courage in the Alola region, at winter, to be pelted with Snowygast by your friends.

Snowygast has the new Water Compaction Ability, an Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With Water Dissolution, its Defense stat will go up by 2 if it’s hit with a Water-type move.

Palossnow
Category: Snowman Pokémon
Type: Ghost/Ice
Height: 4’03”
Weight: 551.2 lbs.
Abilities: Water Dissolution

Palossnow controls human adults, making them add snowballs to its body to provide camouflage and also raises its defensive abilities. Unlike Snowygast, if Palossnow loses a piece from its body, it can restore itself on its own. When moving about in search of prey, the carrot on Palossand’s face always points to it. It’s said that the carrot could be serving as some kind of compass.

That's it; I could just change the element and nothing would change, like the elemental monkeys; there isn't a reference lost, or a design cue that restricts me from messing around with them; I could probably do the same with rocks, or play around with fire and how hypnotic it seems some times; there isn't anything on them that tells you "yes, this pokemon is this way and it couldn't be any other way, or would lose something if it was."

Think about Alola ninetales, for example; by its description, it isn't anything like regular ninetales; while one has connections to the ghost type, the other is a fairy type; one holds grudges, and curses you for 1000 years if you touch its tail, the other is a gentle pokemon that helps people; one is feared, the other is adored as an envoy of the gods. They're, formally, the same, with only minor changes; their type is different, their movepool probably will be too, but they're the same pokemon. Yet, each one feels unique in their own right. I prefer the ice one, you might prefer the fire type, and we would both have different pokemon, despite having the same name. They could feel the same, but they aren't, because they weren't simple to begin with.
So, you couldn't change ninetales without making ninetales, not-ninetales, even if you keep the name; she's a rose that by the same name, smells like fresh snow, to paraphrase shakespeare.

I just took a sand castle, a concept that should by all accounts be fertile ground for a lot of creativity, and turned it into a snowman, with negligible changes. And I did that in a few minutes; it took me nothing to think about the snowman; but if it wasn't so basic (which is the core of what I'm saying), it would have taken me longer, or I would have concluded that it couldn't be done without changing enough that it wouldn't be the same pokemon.

Last edited:
A stuffed bear pre-evolution was honestly the best thing they could've given Bewear.

Teddy bears are bought to be hugged and loved. This could explain Bewear's love of being hugged from being hugged so much as a Stufful. It's really cute to think of it like that. Yeah, the head is a bit weird, but nothing that can't be grown to like. Look at Pyukumuk, so many people see its ability and are completely grossed out, but then its backstory is revealed and more people now love it.

The snowman example you gave was very enlightening and using the official site entry on the Pokémon was particularly effective; the part "...forms when the grudges of Pokémon..." is just cringe worthy, as it is such a Ghost type cliché at this point. You also showed how much could be changed if they'd just teaked the description a little bit... It's like they have a template done for when some type of Pokémon are revealed and merely few in the blanks with some keywords.

Nice to have had this discussion.

@professorlight forgot to quote your post :p

The snowman example you gave was very enlightening and using the official site entry on the Pokémon was particularly effective; the part "...forms when the grudges of Pokémon..." is just cringe worthy, as it is such a Ghost type cliché at this point. You also showed how much could be changed if they'd just teaked the description a little bit... It's like they have a template done for when some type of Pokémon are revealed and merely few in the blanks with some keywords.

Nice to have had this discussion.

@professorlight forgot to quote your post :p

I'm glad too; I don't hate the pokemon, really, but I do feel their potential was wasted, and it isn't like GF to do that often.
To think it was as simple as going a little further with thinking them through, or even thinking a little bit more about their pokedex entries; people often pay little attention to them, but they're very important in making a pokemon, well, a pokemon; they can make or unmake a pokemon as much as their appearance does, because that's where the concept shows itself at its most pure; when you can just imagine how that creature lives and works vividly, so you put it in words. If you can't, of if you don't want to, well, you either go the lazy way and resort to cliches, or the laziest way, and don't make anything but a pretty picture.

And, well, if these two have anything good, is that they finally were something interesting for me to come down here and talk; before, it was just "blah, new pokemon" or "Goodness I want that ninetales." Not much potential for discussion there; it reminds me of when XY came out; that was fun.

And, well, if these two have anything good, is that they finally were something interesting for me to come down here and talk

Exactly this is what makes them good in my opinion. They are very interesting, plus an interesting new ability that also makes sense in a clever way (sand becomes havier with water). The storyline may be a bit cliche, i agree with that, but that seems to be the case more often then not. I like this flavour text better than most that come with Pokemon that are based of real life animals. They seem to be very cheap often, just describing animal behaviour. The concept of posessed sandcastles is just surprising and thoughtful. A weird idea done right. The design could have gone terribly wrong (Vanilluxe... ), but somehow they made it look good and convincing.

I like the snowman example. I think a posessed snowman would be awesome, if done right, which would be hard i guess.. I see your point, it is a conscious making, but we still do not really know why we make those things right? Yet everyone keeps doing it with much devotion (children at least).. Maybe the idea is that they think it is conscious, but it really is not..

Am I the only one who finds the proportions on stufful just wrong? From the start, the sharp edge of its muzzle where it meets the mouth gives it this extremely weird expression; it's supposed to be a permanent smile, but it just gets lost, and it comes off as just the shape of the muzzle. and a The-Dark-Knight-Joker kind of scar, even.
Then you have the side view; I get that the head is larger than the body because that's how cute things are, but that is far too much, not to mention that since it's in all fours, the legs look like they come from the head when seen from the front.
The tag is... sigh. It's an attempt as infantile to create an association that it would seem to have been thought by an actual child.

The crab is okay, I guess. The droopy eyelid is a great touch. If nobody ever films themselves super training it to "eye of the tiger", I will be very disappointed.

The sand castles... they felt dumb before, they still do.
I'm not one to use the dumb "they ran out of inspiration" argument without giving reasons, but they just feel that way. "Possessed sand lump/castle" is not a common concept by all means, but it's far too simple to be good, and that's all they are. And spicing them up with the usual cliches of ghost types is just a crutch now; they're always empty, they always drain your life, they always wander about looking for things... they're always just boring.
Look at how unique mismagius is, or mimikyu; even gengar had the whole "shadows" thing to play off. These are just blah.
Stufful is cute, but you're right on the proportions. I personally find the crab ugly. (Also, your idea with Eye Of The Tiger is brilliant. I'm so doing that.) The sand castles are just plain hideous, and unoriginal, like you said.

When it comes to how "cliche" Sandygast and Palossand's backgrounds are, I'd just say it's par for the course regarding Ghost types. And when you think about it, how would you explain a haunted sand castle a different way without overlapping on previous Pokemon? Sure, it could just be a sand castle, there was no reason for the Ghost type part, but then you'd have the Vanilluxe problem of an inanimate object becoming animated with no rhyme or reason. In my opinion, the Ghost typing makes these two work better.

Now onto their backgrounds, they're very dark and I won't mince words. Palossand kills Pokemon to make more Sandygasts. That's pretty damn dark for a Pokemon, even a Ghost type. A lot of Ghost types do kill in one way or another, but they're either at night or in certain conditions. All we see about Palossand is it just needs to have its prey sink into its sand, regardless of the time. As for Sandygast, the idea of something coming to life from grudges is not new in the Pokemon world. Banette for example also comes to life from a grudge.

I wouldn't call this background cliche though. For something to be cliche it has to be overused and has a lack of original thought. Now yes, you could argue the "coming to life from a grudge" could be cliche, but the method of doing so could be original and counter the cliche. For example, it's cliche that the hero always wins in the end, but the method of them doing so may be different, which is why people keep indulging such a cliche. These sand castles I'd say are the same. Sandygasts are born from grudges of Pokemon that are defeated in battle in the sand. Not necessarily killed, mind you. But then we have Palossand who is stated to straight up kill Pokemon and then could create more Sandygast from that.

So are Sandygast and Palossand original? Well, I've never seen a sentient sand castle, let alone one that hunts down creatures and kills them to create little sand pile ghosts, so I'd have to say yes they are original. Of course if you've seen such a thing, you'd naturally disagree in which I'd love to know where another sentient sand castle like Palossand has been seen. This isn't even factoring in that both these sand Pokemon can control humans under certain conditions in order to strengthen themselves. One part of their background may be cliche with Sandygast coming to life from a grudge, but the rest? One bad apple doesn't ruin the batch.

I think the originality of Sandygast and Palossand is being overly scrutinized. They're a combination of at least 3 distinct ideas:

- ghosts & possession
- sandcastles & water compacting sand
- quicksand, or ant lion pits

Those last ones aren't mentioned by name in the website description, but the inspiration is clear, both in the pokemon's described behaviour and the concept artwork of the Palossand eating Pikachu (these multiple pieces of artwork are themselves a welcome addition to pokemon concepts in Gen VII). Similarly, I think the implication that Sandygast/Pallosand might actually predate mundane sandcastles in the Pokemon world is clear enough, with the mention that they possess adults and children to add sand to them. I imagine GameFreak designers on a beach "research trip" in Hawaii, looking at sandcastle builders, mulling over a sandcastle pokemon, and thinking "Why do people build these anyway? What if the pokemon had something to do with it?" And that's such a weird idea, I can't help but love it. It's also an unprecedented kind of symbiotic relationship - I can't recall another pokemon employing people to maintain its shape.

Anyway, many pokemon are just a combination of two ideas, or an animal and one idea, and if you want to, it's easy to replace key words in a description and make it sound like another pokemon. I don't say that to suggest old pokemon are less original or uninspired. Pokemon sports a fantastically successful and appealing string of character designs, by any measure. I'm just saying they don't need to be that complex, and Sandy-sand is at least par for the course.

One more criticism I don't agree with is that many ghost types are using the same tropes, repeating words like grudge and possession. Grudges and possessions are among the defining features of "ghosts", kind of like Grass types and photosynthesis. I didn't see anyone complaining that Fomantis and Lurantis are too cliche, for their descriptions mentioning sunlight. I understand if someone just doesn't like ghost-types, or this conception of ghosts. But it doesn't suffer for lack of originality any more than other type themes.

One more criticism I don't agree with is that many ghost types are using the same tropes, repeating words like grudge and possession. Grudges and possessions are among the defining features of "ghosts", kind of like Grass types and photosynthesis. I didn't see anyone complaining that Fomantis and Lurantis are too cliche, for their descriptions mentioning sunlight. I understand if someone just doesn't like ghost-types, or this conception of ghosts. But it doesn't suffer for lack of originality any more than other type themes.

I don't think anyone said that Ghosts are doing that. But yes, Ghost types have a variety of themes, the most outlandish of them being Golett/Golurk. A large majority of the Ghost types revolve around three themes: "Fear", "Stealing", and "Torture". Which is normal for a Ghost to be. Sandygast and Palossand fall under the "Stealing" theme, similar to Litwick, Haunter, and Gengar.

I came across this clip yesterday. It's from the Japanese magazine V Jump:

It's a clip that shows a new area in Alola. Here players can take on a side quest of tossing Pyukumuku back into the sea, and earn some money!

What's your opinion about this? I like it. Makes the game last even longer. :)
Maybe there'll be more side quest throughout the game...?

By the way, is that a Sandygast or a Palossand that we can see moving in the sand @1:00?

It's a clip that shows a new area in Alola. Here players can take on a side quest of tossing Pyukumuku back into the sea, and earn some money!

What's your opinion about this? I like it. Makes the game last even longer. :)
Maybe there'll be more side quest throughout the game...?

It's a cute way to incorporate Pyukumuku's backstory into the actual game. Though 20k for tossing 5-6 Pyukumukus means there must be a limit on how often you can do it. If it's like once a week on a certain day, that'd be fine.

You know? this whole sandygast issue has me uncommonly sharp. Even I am surprised by how clear things seem; I wonder if I can get this to my Design Fundamentals teacher and skip the next test. "No, Paula, I have no idea why that Gaultier dress has a rooster as its sleeve, but I can deconstruct a pokemon like the best."

When it comes to how "cliche" Sandygast and Palossand's backgrounds are, I'd just say it's par for the course regarding Ghost types. And when you think about it, how would you explain a haunted sand castle a different way without overlapping on previous Pokemon? Sure, it could just be a sand castle, there was no reason for the Ghost type part, but then you'd have the Vanilluxe problem of an inanimate object becoming animated with no rhyme or reason. In my opinion, the Ghost typing makes these two work better.

It does.

That isn't an excuse for using cliches, though; in fact, they're using the ghost type precisely because it strengthens the concept, but then do the absolute minimum to take advantage of that choice. It's almost preferable that they don't explain why they live, like vanilluxe, than make yet another ghost that has the same characteristics as many more.

Now onto their backgrounds, they're very dark and I won't mince words. Palossand kills Pokemon to make more Sandygasts. That's pretty damn dark for a Pokemon, even a Ghost type. A lot of Ghost types do kill in one way or another, but they're either at night or in certain conditions. All we see about Palossand is it just needs to have its prey sink into its sand, regardless of the time. As for Sandygast, the idea of something coming to life from grudges is not new in the Pokemon world. Banette for example also comes to life from a grudge.

All carnivorous pokemon kill other pokemon; it's rarely emphasised, though, and it's usually watered down with the euphemism "hunts for prey".

Lanturn does it, and it's cute as it can get; so palossand's hunt is only really as "dark" as a lion killing a gazelle is. And as you said, the idea of grudges giving life to a ghost-type isn't new; it's banette all over again, when it's supposed to be THE thing banette has, that it holds a grudge so large about being abandoned that it outright turns it alive; it makes perfect sense, too; puppets and dolls have a long history of creepiness, probably because of the Uncanny Valley effect. Sandcastles, however... not so much.

In fact, if you think about it, sandcastles (and the sarlacc, which some cite, incorrectly in my opinion, as a reference) are mainly stationary, which makes the whole "goes out to hunt prey" all the more suspect, therefore needing of a very good argument on why that was chosen; as it is, it just is.
Phantump, for example, is actually dark; a dead, lost child possesses a tree stump? that there is a strong enough image to stand on its own and beat the cliche of "possession"; compared to that, "Grudges of pokemon that fall in combat" is almost cute, in how unremarkable it seems.

I wouldn't call this background cliche though. For something to be cliche it has to be overused and has a lack of original thought. Now yes, you could argue the "coming to life from a grudge" could be cliche, but the method of doing so could be original and counter the cliche. For example, it's cliche that the hero always wins in the end, but the method of them doing so may be different, which is why people keep indulging such a cliche. These sand castles I'd say are the same. Sandygasts are born from grudges of Pokemon that are defeated in battle in the sand. Not necessarily killed, mind you. But then we have Palossand who is stated to straight up kill Pokemon and then could create more Sandygast from that.

Not quite; the hero's journey is an archetype, more than a cliche; an archetype is like a template, a structure where you fill in the actual important details, and it works because of some complex pattern recognition we unconsciously perform to understand things; it helps the story you want to tell by making it more familiar to the receiver, but not familiar enough to (that is, the details you fill are unique enough so that it doesn't) become a cliche, an already treaded path.
A cliche, however, is something that, original or not, was used so often to lose its importance or meaning; it becomes trite.

To give the banette example again, the grudge backstory is important to her, because it makes perfect sense. A doll coming alive by pure grudge. For sandygast, it's more like a shrug; "we needed to explain why this sandy ghost exists, so really angry pokemon create it".
Since it uses the same reason than banette, it makes her backstory weaker, because what made it unique isn't anymore. So you end up with a diminished, less unique pokemon, and a lazy, underexplained pokemon; it makes not one, but two pokemon worse.

So are Sandygast and Palossand original? Well, I've never seen a sentient sand castle, let alone one that hunts down creatures and kills them to create little sand pile ghosts, so I'd have to say yes they are original. Of course if you've seen such a thing, you'd naturally disagree in which I'd love to know where another sentient sand castle like Palossand has been seen. This isn't even factoring in that both these sand Pokemon can control humans under certain conditions in order to strengthen themselves. One part of their background may be cliche with Sandygast coming to life from a grudge, but the rest? One bad apple doesn't ruin the batch.

Oh, they are quite original, I've said so already. But originality doesn't mean much if you can't deliver on its potential, which is where they fail. What I'm saying is that the idea behind them is good, but the execution was very poor, and that idea deserved much better.

And as I said, one bad apple does ruin the batch; that's what cliches do.
To give you another example, take pikachu clones. Each one of them is less and less special each generation, because they're so restricted by "being like pikachu but not pikachu" that they can't ever truly deliver to the ideas' potential, or even, take that space for a pokemon that would actually not be a cliche.
Another example, the elemental monkeys. A sort of semi-example, the whole fire-grass-water starter scheme; it actually has quite a bit of liberty, therefore potential, but it still presents certain design restrictions that work against it. Same thing for the usual "legendary trio", "mascot trio", "mythical pokemon trio" schemes; all leave room for creativity, but also come with some restrictions because of the place they're needed to occupy.

I'm sorry, but you're mixing two different things in there; photosynthesis, to use your example, is a defining characteristic of plant types, but it doesn't unify them; it isn't a cliche; it's literally their breathing; the differences, and what makes each of them unique, don't lie in that similarity, but in everything else:
  • Bulbasaur is a plant-animal hybrid.
  • Oddish is a nocturnal plant, gloom attracts prey with sweet saliva, vileplume smells bad.
  • Parasect has a plant (fungus, but okay) basically controlling its body as a zombie.
  • Weepinbell and victreebel lure prey to their mouths.
  • Exeggcute is... something?
  • Tangela is a ball of vines.
  • Meganium revives dead plants.
  • Bellossom dances with the dawn.
  • Jumpluff rides the winds to travel.
  • Sunflora does have the sun as a main characteristic, but it's justified, it being a sunflower.
  • Sceptile travels swiftly between jungle trees.
  • Lotad is a plant that lives in water.
  • Nuzleaf hypnotizes people with the leaf flute of its head.
  • Shroomish lives in dark, damp places to evolve into a boxing dinosaur fungus.
  • Roselia smells good.
  • Cacturn stalks prey with the cover of the desert's sandstorms.
  • Cradily melts prey in acid.
  • Tropius produces fruit.
  • Torterra has pokemon living on its back.
  • Wormadam is there because wormadam.
  • Cherrim's thing isn't so much photosynthesis itself, but rather blooming by the sun's direct energy.
  • Carnivine is, okay, a more or less rehash of victreebel, never liked it.
  • Abomasnow lives in the ice.
  • Tangrowth is... tangela. Bigger. bleh.
  • Leafeon does include photosynthesis, but since it's the only grass-type to evolve from a non-grass pokemon, that's kind of important to it.
  • Snivy's line is more about royalty than about photosynthesis.
  • The monkeys... ha, nope, not even deigning to use those.
  • Leavanny makes clothes out of leaves.
  • Whimsicott is another flying plant, but mischievous.
  • Lilligant is about the garland in her head and how lovely it is.
  • Maractus is a maracas-using-cactus.
  • Sawsbuck's thing is the seasons.
  • Foonguss, that it somehow resembles a man-made object because GF had a deadline that day and the coin flip came up "voltorb clone".
  • Ferrothorn is just a pain in the behind. Literally. A spiky seed.
  • Chesnaught is... well, starter restrictions.
  • Gogoat is a goat, not much of interest there, really.
  • Phantump was dead children once, wasn't it? (oh, a spirit possessing an inanimate object again, and better done, too), and trevenant is terrifying.
  • Gourgeist is about jack-in-the-box-es, cleverly mixed with halloween pranks and pumpkins.

For the new ones, rowlet is about throwing leaves like knives, bounsweet is an air freshener, and lurantis is absolutely fabulous; and a mantis, in case that wasn't enough.

As you can see, there are some similarities here and there, but most of the grass types have something other than photosynthesis as a unique characteristic; in fact, plants are a very diverse source of inspiration, and if you mix them with animals, you might not even need the photosynthesis at all. Photosynthesis is used more to give an excuse for their differences, or as a colorful detail, rather than the pokemon's entire reason to exist.

Ghosts can be a very diverse group too, but you have to put some more thought into them so they don't delve into the cliche pool, and if you do resort to it, you have to give them something unique that really makes the cliche you use fade in the background instead of being the pokemon's whole reason to exist.

Wow. Did I just write all this about sandygast and palossand? maybe I should show this to my teacher.

Back