Blast Turtle Pokemon 'Turtonator' Revealed!

@bbninjas @Celever - This thing reminds me of the bowser challenge XD

Anyway, its new move is interesting, as well as its typing. However, the design is so weird. I'll have to get used to it.

Is this the first non-legendary, non-mega Fire/Dragon type?

It does look a bit derpy, but I think it will grow on me. Just the unique move alone will probably make it more competitively viable / interesting than the other fire turtle, torkoal . . .

Turtonator evolves into Turtonator 2: Judgment Day, which then evolves into Turtonator 3: Rise of the Machines. I've heard from many that you better use an everstone because the final evolution of this Pokemon sucks.

This guy looks pretty awesome. I could make any number of jokes about this turtle-dragon being Bowser or the Terminator, but its name seems to come from "turtle" and "detonator" and its design is cool in a weird kind of way. I especially love its in-game cry, probably the best I've heard so far as far as Alolan Pokémon go.

Incidentally, I've seen a lot of people complaining about Turtonator being a Dragon-type. To be honest, I'm not quite sure about the logic behind that one either, but I'm certain there's a reason. Not all Dragon-types have to be giant winged lizards. In fact, now that I think about it, Turtonator does look a bit like a dragon just based on its exotic design and colors.

I love mata mata turtles. The dragon typing is no doubt a reference to how they look like real-life dragons.

I also like this tidbit from the website:

The explosive blasts triggered from Turtonator’s back are released through an orifice located on the middle front of the Pokémon’s body. This is Turtonator’s weak point. Attacks landing on its stomach will cause it a great deal of damage.

Attack its weak point for m a s s i v e d a m a g e

The description leans heavily towards their being multiple, so I doubt it's the pseudo-legendary. I like the stache, it reminds me of Wreck-gar.
Competitively speaking (VGC I mean) it is a strong defensive type combination, and depending on stats and the rest of its move pool, could see play for the same reasons aegislash did. But there are honestly so many wildcards still (Alolan-only dex? Who knows man)
There being multiple of it doesn't mean it can't be a pseudo-legendary. After all, there are multiple dragonite, tyranitar and metagross, right? Nevertheless, it's true that there's no evidence for turtonator being a pseudo-legendary, so I can't argue with that haha

I just realized the trailer is showing Turtonator fighting other turtle Pokémon XD

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a mata mata turtle so maybe that's why it's so ugly. Still like it though. Not every pokemon has to be cute like eevee or cool like tyranitar.

Okay.

I'm confused, though; where's the new pokemon they revealed? I liked the jokey reveal of the "turtle" with sugimori art and all, but, seriously, I heard there was a new one; where is it?

I kinda really like this new Pokemon, and I generally dislike dragon types. reminds me of a Kappa mixed with a Koopaling (Roy Koopa).

I'm loving this Pokemon!

He looks so cool and his ability sounds even cooler. :D
His face doesn't look bad to me, it even gives me Magmar vibes. Awesome.

Boom. Heh heh. In all seriousness, this could have competitive value, free-switching in, setting a Shell Trap using Focus Sash, and either goading the enemy into using a physical attack, or making them switch out to a special one.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I swear if this thing has crappy stats I will be so sad.

Turtle ≠ Fire-type.
Turtle ≠ Dragon-type.

So in the case of Growlithe, Dog ≠ Fire-type then?

Or pick some other out of hundreds of examples.

I mean, if I understand correctly, your point is that anything based on a "turtle" (which I wouldn't simplify like that anyway..) should be Water type, right? What else, it should be blue?

I don't expect all pokemon to look epic, cool, or cute because in the world I live in, animals are not all that way. There are derpy ones, and ugly ones, and grumpy ones. So as long as the design is thoughtful, that's what matters to me. There have been very few pokemon I don't like. The Turtonator's face is just part of his allure. lol

Back