How Many Alola Forms Do You Think There'll Be?

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
The latest trailer revealed Delta Species--excuse me, Alola Form Pokemon and I'm actually quite excited to see new Pokemon in such a different light outside of the TCG. Presumable with Bank the two can coexist and Vulpix/Ninetales, Sandshrew/Sandlash and Exeggutor (no Exeggcute interestingly) wont take up a brand new Pokedex slot.

How far will this new mechanic go? It seems to be taking over for mega evolution for now but what other Pokemon do you want to see?

Last edited:
They are all Kanto Pokemon for now, so I will start with the first Generation!

I don't hope the starters have alola forms aswell... because otherwise Charizard will be a Dragonball Z character with all those forms. xD
But Butterfree would be nice, because Beedrill got his Mega...
They can do something with Jynx a Ghost version ... scary!?
Snorlax in a thin version haha joke. :3 But Tauros would be also a option, he deserve some love. Kingler maybe too, and maybe Golem :O epic

I don't know what to expect actually, because from the 5 they showed us, where 4 Ice types, so now I only can think about Pokemon changing in Ice types lol xD or dragons.. we will see!

Where do you see Tauros' new form?
Cubone & Marowak might get a Fire-type variation, solely based of following description in the Kiawe section of the Trial Captains:
Together with his Marowak, he studies the traditional dances that have been passed down in the Alola region.

That depends on whether or not there's going to be any new Megas this generation or not. If there are, we might not see too many of them because they'd have to divide between new Pokemon, new Megas, and Alola Forms, but if there isn't any new Megas, Alola Forms will probably just take the place of Megas.

Anyway, this opens up a lot of potential for older species to get some new love. I do have some ideas for some new ones:

Alola Bronzor/Bronzong- Water
Alola Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus- Bug/Steel
Alola Munna- Ice
Alola Musharna- Ice/Water

God knows these are probably going to be all off, they could literally be anything.

I would like to see Ground/Fighting Alola Tauros as well, but I have a feeling since they showed regular Tauros it probably won't get an Alola form. Maybe next game.

They could always give Flygon an Alola form since he was high on their todo list for megas but they couldnt think of an idea. Maybe Bug/Dragon.

Chimecho I feel is a Pokemon that deserves more love, could do with a buff and I feel has room for expansion design-wise.

The main site mentions that one of the Trial Captains, Kiawe, is a Fire type user that studies traditional dances with his Marowak. Fire type Alola Marowak confirmed?

I hope it isnt limited to gen 1 Pokemon, I know it's the anniversary but I feel like it's been gen 1 overload recently (and I extend recently to getting gen 1 starters and legendaries in XY) I love the idea behind these new forms and that I'm sort of finally getting the Delta Species game I've imagined but there are Pokemon outside of the first 150 that could do with love like this and the creative doorway is much bigger here than it was for megas.

Electric/Flying Pidgeot. Pidgey are everywhere but I guess these forms are for Pokemon to adapt to new environments, something Pidgey doesn't need to do but I still want it.

Honestly, the only Alolan pokemon I still want to see are as follows...

Dragon/Water-type Dragonite with higher special attack and the ability being Swift Swim or Adaptability
Dragon-type Growlithe and Arcanine
Ice/Rock crystal Onix and Ice/Steel Steelix
Steel/Ice Aron, Lairon, and Aggron
Electric/Dark Luxray with shorter fur that maybe glows yellow when it attacks?
Grass/Flying Chatot
Dragon/Water Gible, Gabite, and Garchomp with Swift Swim and Rough Skin
Ice-type Buneary and Lopunny, as well as Ground-type desert forms
Bug/Water Dwebble and Crustle
Ice-type Minccino and Cinccino
Electric/Water-type Tynamo line
Water/Electric Tentacool and Tentacruel
Dragon/Steel Axew line
Water/Poison Shellos and Gastrodon
Grass/Dragon Tropius
Dragon/Fighting Flygon
Steel/Ground Donphan

I'd also like to see a few pokemon be re-typed overall.
Ninetales to Fire/Fairy
Arcanine to Fire/Fighting
Florges to Fairy/Grass
Finneon and Lumineon to Water/Psychic
Lake Trio to Psychic/Fairy
Celebi to Grass/Fairy
Jirachi to Steel/Fairy
Milotic to Water/Fairy

Sorry for the lots of text. I forgot how to make it so you have to click to open the list

I feel like since the retypings seem to have an adaptive explanation, that reduces a little what possible types we might get; for example, a bug-type flygon would seem odd, since it wouldn't really gain an adaptive advantage (and could actually lose the ones it has, being ground-type).

But in other cases, it could apply very well, as in a dark-type luxray line, or a dragonair-ish redesign of dragonite as water-dragon, to fix some type-related inconsistencies that have appeared over the years.

But, since most of the pokemon shown are very predictable adaptations to a different environment, maybe we'll only get some sort of eeveelution-like change with this mechanic, that is, fully new environmentally adapted types (fire for volcanoes, ice for the tundra, rock for the mountains, ground for the desert, etc.) leaving aside more esoteric types like electric, ghost, dark, fighting, dragon.
But then again, we have no idea why the hell would exeggutor become dragon, beyond its new body being slightly draconic in appearance. Palm trees are not dragons at all.

I'd wish for an ice-type gardevoir, myself, but, I feel that would be pushing my luck, having just received the adorable vulpix and ninetales I didn't even know I wanted. Besides, I don't think they'll retype mega-evolving pokemon, since that should require a redesign for the mega as well.

But thinking about it, I wouldn't say no to an ice-type cinccino, with a fluffier scarf and tail. Oh, and a cute snow-white cossack hat. It's about time there's ice type pokemon as beautiful as their type; no more brutish awful mammoths, abominable pine trees or ganguro opera singers.

Last edited:
If anyone has the time to compile a list of all previous gen Pokémon shown in footage so far so we could eliminate the possibility of them getting Alolan forms, I'll be so greatful ^^

Couple of ideas:

- Fairy/Water Clefable
- Bug/Dark Venomoth
- Fire/Dragon Arcanine
- Electric/Ground Rapidash
- Dark/Poison Raticate
- Grass Persian

But then again, we have no idea why the hell would exeggutor become dragon, beyond its new body being slightly draconic in appearance. Palm trees are not dragons at all.

plant12.jpg

Dragon tree.

It's about time there's ice type pokemon as beautiful as their type; no more brutish awful mammoths, abominable pine trees or ganguro opera singers.
This made me laugh more than it should have

plant12.jpg

Dragon tree.

Ugh, I hate it when they do that.

And it's always with dragons, too. Kingdra the sea dragon (but actually a seahorse; where's horsea with hooves, gamefreak?), flygon the dragonfly (that isn't a bug, or flies, and actually is a ground type, because dragonflies are famous for... landing), and exeggutor the... dragon tree?

Besides, if you're going that route, at least make each head be on individual, separate canopies, so at least it looks a lot more like a two-legged hydra; hell, exeggutor would have been perfect for that, and made a lot of sense.

Actually, Flygon and it's pre-evolutions are actually based on antlions, insects who spend almost 3 decades underground before becoming an adult for a few weeks to breed and die. Also, for Horsea and Seadra, it's more of a sea horse combined with sea dragon, much like how Charmander's line is a salamander and a dragon, like the legendary Salamander (a fire breathing dragon) or how Goodra and it's line are a slug and the "Blue Dragon" sea slug. It's two similar or associated things combined. In this case, its a palm tree and dragon tree, as they both look somewhat similar. Well, besides size that is. This isn't the first time two similar things were used to create a pokemon, certainly not one of the first 50, but I doubt it'll be the last.

If anyone has the time to compile a list of all previous gen Pokémon shown in footage so far so we could eliminate the possibility of them getting Alolan forms, I'll be so greatful ^^
You got it!:
Pikachu
Meowth
Salamence
Gengar
Rotom
Metagross
Garchomp
Eevee
Krokodile
Zubat
Skarmory
Zygarde
Pangoro
Dragonite
Bagon
Fearow
Masquerain
Tauros
Sharpedo
Charizard
Lapras

Lapras, Tauros and Farfetched to get Alolan forms. Anybody want to guess why I think this?

I already did so in the Older Pokemon thread.

Ledyba/Ledian- Ledyba is confirmed to appear in the wild on Route 1 from the Treehouse livestream
Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree- Lass Audrey is seen battling with a Caterpie on Route 1 in the Treehouse livestream
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu- Hau is seen battling with a Pichu in the Treehouse livestream
Riolu/Lucario- Riolu is seen in a promotional image on the Alola Dex page of the Japanese website
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat- Zubat is shown in the wild in a screenshot on the Japanese website
Psyduck/Golduck- Psyduck is shown in the wild in a screenshot on the Japanese website
Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath/Politoed- Poliwag is shown in the wild in a Japanese trailer
Miltank- Miltank is shown in the wild in a Japanese trailer
Bagon/Shelgon/Salamence- Salamence is shown battling Solgaleo in Solgaleo and Lunala's reveal trailer
Gastly/Haunter/Gengar- Gengar is shown battling Lunala in Solgaleo and Lunala's reveal trailer
Meowth/Persian- The protagonist's mother has a Meowth as a pet
Luvdisc- A Luvdisc is seen swimming around in a fish tank in Professor Kukui's lab
Corsola- A Corsola is seen swimming around in a fish tank in Professor Kukui's lab
Rotom- A Rotom inhabits your Pokedex in this game
Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking- A Slowpoke appears on a beach in the overworld on MeleMele Island in a Japanese trailer
Beldum/Metang/Metagross- Metagross is shown battling Zygarde 10% in the Zygarde Forms trailer
Gible/Gabite/Garchomp- Garchomp is shown battling Zygarde Complete in the Zygarde Forms trailer
Eevee/Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon/Espeon/Umbreon/Leafeon/Glaceon/Sylveon- Eevee is shown battling alongside Magearna in a Double Battle in Pikipek, Yungoos, and Grubbin's reveal trailer
Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile- Krookodile is shown battling against Magearna in a Double Battle in Pikipek, Yungoos, and Grubbin's reveal trailer
Pancham/Pangoro- Pangoro is shown battling against Magearna in a Double Battle in Pikipek, Yungoos, and Grubbin's reveal trailer
Spearow/Fearow- Tapu Koko is shown defeating a flock of Spearow in an in game cutscene
Feebas/Milotic- Milotic is shown battling Vikavolt in Tapu Koko, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Drampa, Bruxish, Cutiefly, and Togedemaru's Japanese reveal trailer
Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon- Flygon is shown battling Drampa in Tapu Koko, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Drampa, Bruxish, Cutiefly, and Togedemaru's Japanese reveal trailer
Kangaskhan- Kangaskhan is shown battling Bruxish in Tapu Koko, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Drampa, Bruxish, Cutiefly, and Togedemaru's Japanese reveal trailer
Emolga- Emolga is shown battling Togedemaru in Tapu Koko, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Drampa, Bruxish, Cutiefly, and Togedemaru's Japanese reveal trailer
Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite- Dragonite is shown battling Zygarde 50% in Tapu Koko, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Drampa, Bruxish, Cutiefly, and Togedemaru's Japanese reveal trailer
Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland- The protagonist is seen riding a Stoutland in a screenshot from the official website
Growlithe/Arcanine- Arcanine is shown battling Rockruff in the Hong Kong National Championships trailer
Elekid/Electabuzz/Electivire- Electabuzz is shown battling Komala in the Hong Kong National Championships trailer
Skarmory- Skarmory is shown battling Salandit in Salandit's reveal trailer
Tauros- The protagonist is seen riding a Tauros in a Japanese trailer
Lapras- The protagonist is seen riding a Lapars in a Japanese trailer
Carvanha/Sharpedo- The protagonist is seen riding a Sharpedo in a Japanese trailer
Murkrow/Honchkrow- Murkrow is shown battling Wimpod in Wimpod, Bounsweet, Comfey, Mudsdale, Mimikyu, and Bewear's Japanese reveal trailer
Munchlax/Snorlax- Snorlax is shown battling Bounsweet in Wimpod, Bounsweet, Comfey, Mudsdale, Mimikyu, and Bewear's Japanese reveal trailer
Machop/Machoke/Machamp- Machamp is shown battling Mudsdale in Wimpod, Bounsweet, Comfey, Mudsdale, Mimikyu, and Bewear's Japanese reveal trailer
Spinarak/Ariados- Ariados is shown battling Mimikyu in Wimpod, Bounsweet, Comfey, Mudsdale, Mimikyu, and Bewear's Japanese reveal trailer
Delibird- Ariados is shown battling Alola Form Sandslash in the Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Surskit/Masquerain- Masquerain is shown battling Oricario in the Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Nosepass/Probopass- Nosepass is shown battling Lurantis in the Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard- Charizard is a Ride Pokemon in this game
Phantump/Trevenant- Trevenant is shown taking an Inferno Overdrive attack in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Riolu/Lucario- Lucario is shown battling Oricario in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Mankey/Primeape- Primeape is shown battling Gumshoos in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Roggenrola/Boldore/Gigalith- Gigalith is shown battling Lurantis in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Bonsly/Sudowoodo- Sudowoodo is shown battling Alola Form Exeggutor in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Rufflet/Braviary- Rufflet is shown battling Alola Form Vulpix in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Goomy/Sliggoo/Goodra- Goodra is shown battling Alola Form Ninetales in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer
Archen/Archeops- Archeops is shown battling Alola Form Sandslash in the Japanese Alola Forms and Z-Moves trailer

It's important to note that this isn't explicit confirmation that these Pokemon will show up in their original forms, but there's probably a good chance they picked these Pokemon from whatever we can actually catch in the game.

I already did so in the Older Pokemon thread.

It's important to note that this isn't explicit confirmation that these Pokemon will show up in their original forms, but there's probably a good chance they picked these Pokemon from whatever we can actually catch in the game.
It's important to note that while Poliwag and other NFEs may not have Alolan Formes, their evolutions might. I say that because I don't think Alolan Exeggute will be any different from the international one. Thank you and @PineDog for going through the trouble of compiling these lists <3

Back