Pokemon 'Pokemon GO' Plus Device Delayed Until September

Is there any info on what stores will have it? Gamestop has a pre-order but Gamestop is such a shady store

I've seen preorders open at a few different stores around here, electronic and gaming shops. It'll probably be available most places that sell gaming stuff, I would guess.

I don't understand the need for this device. Many apps are capable of running in the background of your phone or tablet and can do things like vibrate when in standby mode but I do wonder how many they plan on making.

I don't understand the need for this device. Many apps are capable of running in the background of your phone or tablet and can do things like vibrate when in standby mode but I do wonder how many they plan on making.

Most apps do, but GO doesn't notify you of Pokemon when it's just on in the background, you miss Pokestops, can't take on Gyms, and how much you walk isn't accounted for so eggs won't hatch. It's basically useless if it isn't open.

As for the latter, I hope the GO Plus allows us to walk without carrying around our phone for eggs. :0

Got an email earlier on telling me about that, kinda bummed about it, but at least as I'm renewing my site membership next week, I'm not gonna go overboard dropping a lot of money in one week.

They sent me a £5 off a £30 spend voucher as compensation, so it's not all bad.

The very expensive price and the fact the game has to be on in your pocket anyways for the accessory to work has me extremely skeptical about how successful the device will be, despite the fact that everyone in the world seems to be playing PoGO.

If it was cheaper, and would work while I was using other apps or didn't have to have the game on my screen (even if the game was in low power/ screen off mode), I would pick it up no problem. The way it stands, I won't, and idk if people will still be as hyped about the game such that they'll buy it in September.

The very expensive price and the fact the game has to be on in your pocket anyways for the accessory to work has me extremely skeptical about how successful the device will be, despite the fact that everyone in the world seems to be playing PoGO.

If it was cheaper, and would work while I was using other apps or didn't have to have the game on my screen (even if the game was in low power/ screen off mode), I would pick it up no problem. The way it stands, I won't, and idk if people will still be as hyped about the game such that they'll buy it in September.

The game has to still be open even WITH this device?

That can't be true, can it? that was the sole reason I was tempted to pick one of these up so I wouldn't have to have the app open 24/7....

I doubt that Pokemon GO can maintain the "hype" until September. Thus, the future of this device is debatable.

I'm guessing that you'll need to have your phone on you to get mileage, but it should still alert you of things like Pokemon, Pokestops, and hopefully gyms. One thing I'd also hope it does is alert me when my eggs are hatching. It doesn't need to be specific or anything, it just needs to flash the little light, and I'll see what it alerted me of.

Anyways, I think this is WAY too expensive for a mobile game, even if it's a major hit, and an AR game such as this one, I don't think that this is worth $34.99. If all it does is alert me of Pokemon and Pokestops like it says, then I'll stick to bringing my portable charger along with me, and playing with the screen on full time.

Also, if you live in more urban areas like a lot of us do, then this isn't worth it. Pokestops are everywhere, at least where I live. You can't move a block without there being a stop, and they're still frequent in parks, trails, and monumental areas, where most people will try to catch their Pokemon anyways... In the end, you can still get a portable charger for like, $10 bucks, and will keep your phone on for long 4 hour walks.

And Battery Saver in the 'options' of the game helps too. It makes more of a difference in areas with less Pokestops such as suburbs, or rural areas, in which case the GO Plus will help you. But since most people these days aren't about to try and go out to the suburbs to catch some Pokemon, and most people live within an hour of a bigger city, it's recommended if your one of those people in the middle of nowhere.

In the end, unless you live in a rural area, this isn't worth it. $35 is just too expensive for something that can solved by bringing a portable charger if battery draining is what your worried about. If they wanted this to sell more, they should've made it maybe 20 bucks. At this point, you see older and newer fans having them instead of just those hardcore, never sleeping Team Valor people (yeah I went there). They'd make much more money in the end if this was reduced by maybe $10-15.

Also, if you live in more urban areas like a lot of us do, then this isn't worth it. Pokestops are everywhere, at least where I live. You can't move a block without there being a stop, and they're still frequent in parks, trails, and monumental areas, where most people will try to catch their Pokemon anyways...

Hah, this is how it is for me, too. There's a PokéStop that I can reach right in my house, and also 9 more stops and 1 gym within a couple minutes' walk in any direction. :p

I guess I kind of figured that I wasn't the person this product is geared towards anyway. When I'm out, I usually just hold my phone in my hand upside down to feel the vibration if there's a nearby Pokémon. I'm pretty much constantly full on items, so I don't mind missing PokéStops, though if I happen to see one when my phone is up, I'll grab it for the exp if nothing else. I don't specifically go out for walks just to catch Pokémon, either, I just use it when I happen to be out walking for something else, like when I'm going out shopping, so I don't even see the need to splurge for a portable charger, let alone an even more expensive peripheral.

That said, I suck at throwing Poké Balls so badly that the auto-catch feature is the most impression function to me. :p

Most apps do, but GO doesn't notify you of Pokemon when it's just on in the background, you miss Pokestops, can't take on Gyms, and how much you walk isn't accounted for so eggs won't hatch. It's basically useless if it isn't open.

As for the latter, I hope the GO Plus allows us to walk without carrying around our phone for eggs. :0

Thats the issue I'm having with the game and for this being a mobile game, its a big deal for it to not do these basic things. Most people who downloaded this dont even like Pokemon enough to care to spend 35 bucks for a extra device and me as a Pokemon fan isn't super excited for it either. So far it seems to hardcore Go players and scalpers looking to take advantage of bad decisions of Nintendo and TPCi.

What I understand the Go Plus does is vibrate when a Pokemon or something is near by so you dont have to have your phone on, which is something the app should do by default but the whole egg thing is interesting for sure.

Thats the issue I'm having with the game and for this being a mobile game, its a big deal for it to not do these basic things. Most people who downloaded this dont even like Pokemon enough to care to spend 35 bucks for a extra device and me as a Pokemon fan isn't super excited for it either. So far it seems to hardcore Go players and scalpers looking to take advantage of bad decisions of Nintendo and TPCi.

What I understand the Go Plus does is vibrate when a Pokemon or something is near by so you dont have to have your phone on, which is something the app should do by default but the whole egg thing is interesting for sure.

It also allows you to attempt to catch the Pokemon too, and I think visit Pokestops as well but I'm not sure on that one. It's honestly a good idea for people who wanna play the game but just can't because of one reason or another, but that's just me! :0

It also allows you to attempt to catch the Pokemon too, and I think visit Pokestops as well but I'm not sure on that one. It's honestly a good idea for people who wanna play the game but just can't because of one reason or another, but that's just me! :0

I see. I heard the device will auto catch Pokemon, whatever 'auto' means here. I will have to see how this acts. For me, there isn't anything near by so when I get somewhere, I can just bring out my phone but I'm having issues justifying the 35 dollar rice tag. For example, this will be the cost of Pokemon Sun or Moon, which will also be releasing soon around the same time in which you can do much more and catch the same Pokemon.

If people want to buy it then great but I question some of the design choices that were made with the game in order for the Go Plus to exist.

I see. I heard the device will auto catch Pokemon, whatever 'auto' means here. I will have to see how this acts.

According to WPM's article: "If you’ve caught a certain Pokemon before, you can just press the button to capture it and the device will let you know if you’ve caught it or not."

So it basically just stops you from needing to play the little ball-tossing mini-game for any repeat Pokémon, saving you on time and missed balls, though there's still the potential for a Pokémon breaking free if they're powerful or otherwise difficult to catch. If you encounter a new Pokémon, you will still need to catch them manually the first time.

According to WPM's article: "If you’ve caught a certain Pokemon before, you can just press the button to capture it and the device will let you know if you’ve caught it or not."

So it basically just stops you from needing to play the little ball-tossing mini-game for any repeat Pokémon, saving you on time and missed balls, though there's still the potential for a Pokémon breaking free if they're powerful or otherwise difficult to catch. If you encounter a new Pokémon, you will still need to catch them manually the first time.

I see. With that in mind, I still don't know how they can ask 35 bucks for it. It will make catching Pidgey easier though but 35 bucks...

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the device. You've got to assume the game does have to be running on your phone for it to work catching Pokémon and alerting you of other things nearby. There's not much difference in effort between looking at a watch-type thing and actually just getting your phone out of your pocket to look.

If it is announced that it somehow hatches eggs while the app isn't on your screen (or perhaps when you don't even have your phone with you, akin to how Fitbit devices sync and then show you how far you've walked etc.) then I'll get it because I walk some distances at work without my phone! Otherwise, I'm not really sure I see the point. That and $34.99 equates to £23, but knowing how these things work it'll probably be more like £30 here, which is quite a lot to pay for something that doesn't really do anything.

Really a missed opportunity to not release this in the launch window of the app. There would have been a lot more people who would have bought this in the heat of the moment, people that won't be playing anymore in September.

Back