News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
From what I remember, Kadabra isn't actually banned. They've just avoided it so they don't get Uri Geller all butthurt. He lost that lawsuit he filed.

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
This sounds even better than Generations tbh! And I love the Generations set. I'll have to make sure I save up plenty of money to get lots :D

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hmm...

I wonder if they'll take advantage of this to re-release some older cards with updated text/game rules, to effectively errata the originals? Unless I'm remembering wrong, if we get Professor Oak re-released as a Supporter but with the same effect, don't the rules require all older copies also be treated as having the new text (or else the older copies are no longer legal)? Been a bit so I don't quite remember the rules.

Given how weird things were with Computer Search, I don't remember if that has changed or not.

Edit: To clarify, we do not know if they will re-release a card named "Professor Oak" in XY: Evolution. My question was completely hypothetical. Currently in Unlimited play you treat Professor Oak as if it were an "Item". However when a similar thing happened with Bill, where it was re-released as a Supporter while originally it was a "normal Trainer" I was wondering if the same might happen with Professor Oak. I was also wondering if like with Bill it would mean older versions of Professor Oak would be played as if they had the most recent card text.

Last edited:

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm...

I wonder if they'll take advantage of this to re-release some older cards with updated text/game rules, to effectively errata the originals? Unless I'm remembering wrong, if we get Professor Oak re-released as a Supporter but with the same effect, don't the rules require all older copies also be treated as having the new text (or else the older copies are no longer legal)? Been a bit so I don't quite remember the rules.

Given how weird things were with Computer Search, I don't remember if that has changed or not.

I always thought we were allowed to use Trainers that got reprinted as Items (non-ace spec) as Items are identical to Trainers, but not the Supporters or Stadiums that don't say such on them because they function differently and don't have the little rules/guides on them?

Otaku

The wise fool?
I always thought we were allowed to use Trainers that got reprinted as Items (non-ace spec) as Items are identical to Trainers, but not the Supporters or Stadiums that don't say such on them because they function differently and don't have the little rules/guides on them?

Not quite what I was talking about.

When the game began, all Trainers were Trainers. There were no Stadium cards or Supporters, and there weren't even Item subdivisions like Pokémon Tools or Technical Machines. They all functioned the way Item cards do now. In time other kinds of Trainer cards were introduced. From the release of Diamond & Pearl until Items were introduced in Black & White, Stadium cards and Supporters became their own primary type of card (so we went from Pokémon/Trainers/Energy to Pokémon/Trainers/Stadiums/Supporters/Energy) and cards labeled as Trainers worked like Items do now. The only thing relevant to my question is that Professor Oak so far has only ever been released as a "normal Trainer", no more recently I believe than Base Set 2.

Another card from Base Set is Bill. The first few times it was reprinted, in Base Set 2 and the Legendary Collection, it was still a "normal" Trainer, working like an Item card. When they re-released Bill HeartGold/SoulSilver however they made him a Supporter. Same effect text. Same name. However instead of being a "normal Trainer" (Item) he was a Supporter. At this time, the ruling was that older copies of Bill were to be played as if they were the new Supporter version. Or at least, that is what I recall the ruling being; I could be mistaken. Or the-powers-that-be may have changed their minds.

So as we are getting a Professor Sycamore reprint to keep a Supporter that discards your hand so you can draw seven cards legal through the next rotation (maybe even the one after), it seems plausible that they would re-release Professor Oak but like they did with Bill, make him a Supporter instead of an Item. My question is should this happen, will all older copies be treated as the updated version or not. Right now Professor Oak is treated as an Item. If this happens, I am wondering if it would cause the older versions to be treated as a Supporter. There are a lot of "ifs" here and it would only matter for Unlimited play, but it could be a very big deal if it does change as it should significantly lesson the reliability of the first turn win/lock decks. Said decks are one of two reasons why I haven't bothered with Unlimited in years.

Sevus

Aspiring Trainer
Pretty sure some of the anger over Computer Search was because you could use old copies of Bill when he was reprinted as a Supporter in HeartGold/SoulSilver as long as you had a reference for the new card text. Not that anyone would want to, given "draw 2 cards" is an awful Supporter.

Either way, yes, if a Supporter card named Professor Oak is printed in Evolutions, all Professor Oak cards are treated as that card when played.

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
I wouldn't be surprised if they do similar to Professor Birch's Observations and make a new card for Oak to be honest. Though his old card was identical to Bianca so I suppose that was the reason they gave him a new card?

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
I was going to buy a booster box of Steam Siege but I'll definitely save money for a box of this!

M-Slowbro, yes please!!!!!

legandaryhon

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm...

Edit: To clarify, we do not know if they will re-release a card named "Professor Oak" in XY: Evolution. My question was completely hypothetical. Currently in Unlimited play you treat Professor Oak as if it were an "Item". However when a similar thing happened with Bill, where it was re-released as a Supporter while originally it was a "normal Trainer" I was wondering if the same might happen with Professor Oak. I was also wondering if like with Bill it would mean older versions of Professor Oak would be played as if they had the most recent card text.

TPCi has updated the rules on reference cards; any card requiring a reference (such as a reprinted card with different wording - Professor Oak without the Supporter Clause) may not be used in a deck, even if a reference is available.

http://support.pokemon.com/FileManagement/Download/285237e1e815473dbac38d3a368f84a2
See 1.4 Reprinted Cards
http://pokegym.net/forums/view.php?pg=stdformat

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
Calling it.
Final Mega is M Pidgeot-EX.
It took so long, but finally @crystal_pidgeot gets the card.
Congrats! ...unless it's not.
I'm super hyped for this set. As a kid I tried so hard to collect all of the Base, Fossil, and Jungle cards. I'm only missing a couple holos, but this will be some nice nostalgia.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Calling it.
Final Mega is M Pidgeot-EX.
It took so long, but finally @crystal_pidgeot gets the card.
Congrats! ...unless it's not.
I'm super hyped for this set. As a kid I tried so hard to collect all of the Base, Fossil, and Jungle cards. I'm only missing a couple holos, but this will be some nice nostalgia.

You have no idea how much that would mean to me since I've been waiting for a Pidgeot Ultra Rare card since the last ex series but I learned a LONG time ago to keep my expectations low so disappointment wouldn't hit me as hard. I was already disappointed by Roaring Skies.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Reinvention of the old pokemon cards, tells me these cards will be playable and not a complete reprint, in terms of the HP they used to have, energy cost and attack output.

I think it would be great if they made a Starmie EX in this set, that would be great especially by Eske Yoshinob. My first choice is Poliwrath, I'm still waiting for an EX of that pokemon. But dual type for either would make me happy.

MegaButterfree

Old Timer
I tend to agree that it'll be M Pidgeot-EX, considering the other gen 1 option, Pinsir, is grass-type, which is already covered by M-Venusaur. This also makes me think/assume Slowbro-EX will be psychic-type (given M-Blastoise).

Of course, it might just be another Gardevoir-EX. ;-)

Not Cool!

Aspiring Trainer
Machamp BREAK would work well with the one reprinted in Generations, while Ninetales would work well with the one in Expanded.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Pidgeot-EX, there are plenty of other cards from Kanto that warrant EX cards. If Alakazam is printed, they're going to have to figure out what to do with Abra, but they're probably going to make Abra go straight into Alakazam in a manner similar to DP: Mysterious Treasures.

My wishlist:
  • Everything in Base Set
  • All of it
  • Every single one of the 102 cards

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Machamp BREAK would work well with the one reprinted in Generations, while Ninetales would work well with the one in Expanded.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Pidgeot-EX, there are plenty of other cards from Kanto that warrant EX cards. If Alakazam is printed, they're going to have to figure out what to do with Abra, but they're probably going to make Abra go straight into Alakazam in a manner similar to DP: Mysterious Treasures.

My wishlist:
  • Everything in Base Set
  • All of it
  • Every single one of the 102 cards

Pidgeot has a mega, which could be the mega 5th mega if Pinsir doesn't get it. While other Pokemon want a EX card, I think Pidgeot has waited long enough.