2017 Format Rotation Announced!

Hamatti

Aspiring Trainer
The rotation of Battle Compressor brings up the question, how will this affect the supporter field. Battle Comp + VS Seeker combo has made it possible for us to use a lot of one-off supporters in any deck and use them when needed. Now, with the ability to discard supporters from the deck, how do you feel this will affect the decks? Random Receiver will obviously help out a bit to get a supporter but will the rotation make it too clunky to run multiple one-off supporters?

girazard

Aspiring Trainer
Well this sucks. Battle Compressor made so many decks viable. Now I don't think there's a good way to get a Maxie/Archie out :(

From a purely flavour point of view I honestly prefer them to be that way: as last resort cards that help you in a pinch rather than being the core method of getting Gallade/Primal Groudon-EX out etc, so they really are an "Ace in the Hole".

WastedSkyPirate

Is it just me or do we now not have any Trainer Card capable of removing tools?

Still, I'm quite excited to about this new format.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Something easy to gloss over is that Expanded loses nothing. Maybe everyone already knew that, but the few discussions I participated in seemed pretty evenly divided between those who assumed it would stay BW-On and those who thought it might ape the rotation style seen in a past Standard Format. As Expanded is there to provide a bit more stable of a format to compliment the more dynamic Standard, I think this is a good thing.

Still wish Legacy had become an official format outside of the PTCGO. ;)

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
Whew. Pretty relieved that I know what will and will not be legal, so I can now work on more decks and know my options.
Oh, no more Night March as well.

wooo party

nepeta100

Aspiring Trainer
what about dragalge from flashfire I think that was impactful loss from rotation in combination with ariados

Otaku

The wise fool?
what about dragalge from flashfire I think that was impactful loss from rotation in combination with ariados

For casual/budget play perhaps, but between effects that turn of Abilities and alternate methods of changing out your Active, not so much. Even with the Toxicroak I believe we are getting next set, it isn't overly significant (since three Stage 1 cards with none aiding set up is a lot right now).

Hellcat

Outlaw Trainer
Honestly, the only cards I'm going to miss are Manectric/mega, megaphone, and AZ.

I am so sick of expanded being every single BW set. It's just getting out of hand. I feel like they should have cut out everything from Dragons Exalted and before.

Here's to another year of myself not getting any expanded competitive play in. ugh...

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Man, All my decks have most cards from these decks. Guess I'll have to start working on new ones.

Doomdesirer

Stardoom warrior
Rip fairy, Rip night march, **** seismitoad, rip trev, rip gengar, balanced format lives on... oh wait. Greninja BREAK. Jirachi shoots himself in the face.

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
I think another winner from rotation is M Mewtwo EX (either one). They just lost a big predator in Night March that was holding them back from being the powerful, consistent threat they could be. They also don't loose anything, retain Shrine of Memories, and don't care about Garbodor at all. They could use a supporting cast (although Carbink BREAK looks great with M Mewtwo X) but they look like solid stand-alone EXs to me.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Here's to a slower, more fun format! (As long as counterdecks to M Rayquaza-EX manage to keep it on its toes). This actually looks quite promising in allowing a wider variety of decks to flourish.
What about Greninja? The deck doesn't need the XY one, and the Breaks shot up in price. Sounds like it'll be the next Night March.

nepeta100

Aspiring Trainer
Well this sucks. Battle Compressor made so many decks viable. Now I don't think there's a good way to get a Maxie/Archie out :(

yes there is a litwick in steam siege for one colorless energy allows you to send up to cards from your deck to discard

Otaku

The wise fool?
I am so sick of expanded being every single BW set. It's just getting out of hand. I feel like they should have cut out everything from Dragons Exalted and before.

Here's to another year of myself not getting any expanded competitive play in. ugh...

Isn't the point of Expanded to encompass the previous generation of cards?

You get to be sick of older BW cards, don't get me wrong. I just think it makes little sense to break a card generation for Expanded. :)