TCG Fakes Faking Resources and Help - How to Make Your Own Pokemon Cards!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Changed some fonts, made a Trainer PSD guide, and grouped everything together into one package. Fonts still aren't perfect (only about 3 of them are exact), but it should be a lot closer. I deleted my older posts, but here's the new Japanese Neo PSD:

japanese_neo_series_print_resolution_psd_template_by_icycatelf-da6chvw.png

http://icycatelf.deviantart.com/art/Japanese-Neo-Series-Print-Resolution-PSD-Template-615322508

NOTES/TIPS:
• It was made for Photoshop, so there will be problems when using it in GIMP instead
• Doesn't include Light/Dark Babies or Basic Energy
• Be sure to turn off the "Stage 2 Tail" layer when making Stage 1 cards
• Turn off the "Crown" layer for anything that isn't Darkness or Metal-Type
• After inverting the art shadow for Darkness, reduce the opacity to 90%
• Pokémon Power color varies by Type (hex values are just guesstimates):
Grass, Water, Lightning, Fighting, Colorless, Metal: Red (#f00000)
Fire: Blue (#32409a)
Psychic, Darkness: Yellow (#ffdd00)​
• You may need to copy/shift the placeholders around depending on how many attacks there are, how long an effect is, etc.
• The "Light" part of a Light Pokémon's name should be 9pt (Dark and Shining Pokémon keep the normal size)
• Opponent (相手) and itself (自分) should be always be bolded in effect text
• Types, Special Conditions, and attack names in effect text should be typed inside hook brackets (「」)
• Special Energy colors tend to vary by card, so feel free to change up the colors to better suit your art
• Foil (regular) should generally be applied with a Multiply blending mode (70% opacity), but you may have to play around with it depending on the background
• The foil shadow should be pasted above all layers with a Multiply blending mode (100% opacity)
• Shining foil should be clipped to the Pokémon with two layers: Multiply (70% opacity) and Color Dodge (40-100% opacity)
• Shining "glitter" should be pasted above all layers (including foil shadow) with a Screen blending mode (10-100% opacity depending on desired intensity)
• If punctuation, brackets, or parenthesis begin or end on a line of text, they may appear shifted too far right or left. You may be able to fix this by highlighting that character and changing the kerning (in the Character panel) to Metrics.
• If a line begins with punctuation or a closing bracket/parenthesis, increase the tracking (in the Character panel) of the entire textbox by increments of 1 until it doesn't (you might want to use the same settings for other effect boxes for consistency)
• Let me know if I should add anything else to these notes!

UPDATES:
[Jun. 15, 2016] Now includes a Special Energy template.
[Jun. 16, 2016] Added a holosheet (as well as a light, inverted one for the shadowy dots on non-foil areas).
[Jun. 17, 2016] I had used the English version of the Ultra Rare symbol, but the Japanese version is larger so I updated that. I also added a Shining foil for Neo Destiny-style Shining Pokémon (where the Pokémon themselves are embossed with foil).
[Jun. 22, 2016] The Weakness/Resistance boomerangs were still bothering me a bit, so I've updated those. I also made the Fire and Psychic textures a little darker and added a glitter overlay for Neo3-style Shining Pokémon (where the art background used regular holofoil and the entire card is covered in a glittery laminate).
[Jun. 29, 2016] Fixed the alignment of the Ability effect text (it was just slightly too far right) and added an OTF version of HiraKakuStd W8 for Windows users. Also updated the red for Pokémon Power label/name to match the shade from Notes/Tips.
[Jul. 07, 2016] Repaired a small gap in the art borders next to the Stage Tab and cut-off at the bottom of the Fighting texture. I also flattened all layer styles (Gradient Overlay, Drop Shadow, etc.) and blending modes to make the file more compatible with GIMP (although there will still be glitches, like layers being in the wrong groups and text being rasterized) -- these changes don't affect the original Photoshop appearance. Now includes Set Symbol placement as well.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Starry overlay for Japanese-style BW-XY promos:
stars_overlay_by_icycatelf-da7da7n.png

Place above all layers (including text) with a Screen blending mode (somewhere around 30% opacity). May need to be scaled down/up depending on what blanks you're using.

alexpoke_fake_card__japanese__remake_by_icycatelf-da7g6uz.png

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Does anyone still have the "Champion" blanks from Pokémon Zeo (or any fakes made with them)? I was thinking about remaking them, but I can't remember what kind of stars were in the background or if all Types (not just Darkness and Metal) had the "crown" over the Type symbol. I've been able to get to the blanks menu via Wayback Machine, but the blanks themselves unfortunately aren't archived.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm finding it really difficult to create nice looking effects for my non-FA EX cards. Frankly, I'm pretty much in the dark on how exactly I should be doing them, so they are at a standard comparable to official EXs. This is the main thing that's preventing me from getting any further on them, which sucks. :/ If anyone has any tips, I'd much appreciate 'em!

AwesomeEevee

Metagross101 on dA
I'm not against it, but what I'm waiting for is for someone to come up with some nice quality ex-E-series blanks. Which apparently are not in very high demand...

I may or may not (I have) started some ex-E-series blanks. They're on the back burner at the moment, but they will be finished at some point. Not for a month and a half or so, I'd say, at the soonest.

Atm, I'm working on DPPt blanks and HL-PK blanks, which, as Asche said, will take much time because of the many variations. For dual types I will most likely release a PSD as I did with my old HLPK blanks. I might possibly do the same thing for Delta types.

camohunter19

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
So I was trying to install the fonts from the package linked above and all I get is a message stating "Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created." I'm decently tech-savvy and I've tried both methods listed on the Windows help page. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem or if there was someone with more expertise that could help me.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Strangely enough, window's extractor can run into issues extracting certain files. I'd suggest downloading Winrar or 7-Zip; I think both are free. I've used 7-Zip to unzip all of my folders, and it hasn't failed me yet. ^.^

camohunter19

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
That just worked on my computer that doesn't have photoshop, I'll have to try it on the computer that does have Photoshop. Thanks.

UPDATE: Extracting with Winrar was actually the problem. I downloaded 7zip onto the photoshop computer and now I can install the fonts! (will merge posts if double posting is not allowed)

Merged. ~Jabberwock

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
So, I was thinking the other day about the various combinations for dual-types, and what the benefits are for each combination. Some types, like Fighting, are currently very strong in the game thanks to cards like Strong Energy, Fighting Stadium, Focus Sash, and Korrina. Other types, like Colorless, have little to no support whatsoever, and in Colorless' and Dragon's case, don't even hit for Weakness on any Pokémon in Standard.

I decided to compile this list of all the benefits and drawbacks a Pokémon gets from being a given type, so you or anyone else can reference it when creating a dual-type Pokémon. The list is in order of cards from Steam Siege backwards. The type-specific Special Energy are not included.

––Retrievable from discard pile by Revitalizer
––Evolving accelerated by Forest of Giant Plants
––Healed by Leavanny PHF 7's Leaf Storm [20]
––Increases damage done by Florges-EX's Bright Garden [20 per Pokémon]
––HP boosted by Floette FFI 64's Flower Veil [20]
––Searchable by Illumise XY 9's Pheromotion
––Damage reduced by Parallel City [20]
––Damage reduced by ∆ Wild [M-Rayquaza-EX only]
––Damage taken from Bouffalant PRC 113's attacks increased by Sap Sipper

––Damage boosted by Volcanion-EX's Steam Up [30; Basics only]
––Energy accelerated by Blacksmith
––Damage reduced by Mamoswine BKT 82's Thick Fat [30; Mamoswine only]
––Damage reduced by Hariyama FUF 52's Thick Fat [30; Hariyama only]

––Retrievable from discard pile by Archie's Ace in the Hole
––Searchable by Dive Ball
––Healed by Rough Seas [30]
––Damage reduced by Aurorus FUF 26's Icy Shield [20; requires at least 1 {W} attached]
––Searchable by Manaphy XY-PR 113's Marine Guidance
––Damage reduced by Mamoswine BKT 82's Thick Fat [30; Mamoswine only]
––Damage reduced by Hariyama FUF 52's Thick Fat [30; Hariyama only]
––Damage reduced by Heliolisk XY-PR 47's Dry Skin [30; Heliolisk only]

––Damage becomes unaffected by opponent's effects by Zebstrika BKP 49's Zap Zone
––Healed by Rough Seas [30]

––Unaffected by Wobbuffet PHF 36's Bide Barricade
––Attack cost reduced by Dimension Valley [{C}]
None.

––Damage boosted by Machamp GEN 42's Fighting Fury [20]
––Damage boosted by Regirock-EX's Regi Power [10; excludes itself]
––Damage boosted by Strong Energy [20]
––Retrievable from discard pile by Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
––Damage boosted by Fighting Stadium [20; only against EX's]
––With Focus Sash, if Knocked Out from full HP, reduced to 10 HP instead
––Searchable with Korrina
––Damage taken from Walrein PRC 48's Frozen Splash increased [70 + 70]

––Damaged boosted by Reverse Valley [10]
––Enables Pancham FUF 59's Bad-Influence Evolution
––Attacks blocked by Zygarde FCO 52's Aura Break

––Damage taken reduced by Reverse Valley [10]
––Special Conditions blocked by Steel Shelter
None.

––Retreat Cost reduced by Hydreigon-EX's Dragon Road [{C}{C}; requires Stadium card in play]
––Energy accelerated by Reshiram ROS 63's Turboblaze
––Attacks blocked by Clefable BKP 82's Moon Barrier
––Paralyzed by Abomasnow BKT 40's Ice Age
––Damage taken from Fraxure BKT 110's Dragon Slayer increased [60 + 40]
––Does not hit for Weakness on any Pokémon in Standard

––Healed by Diancie RC22's Diamond Storm [30]
––Boosts damage of Altaria RC24's Fairy Friend [30 + 30]
––Increases damage done by Florges-EX's Bright Garden [20 per Pokémon]
––Resistance becomes -40 by Klefki FUF 73's Secret Key
None.

––Weakness removed by Altaria ROS 74's Clear Humming
––Searchable by Winona
––Increased damage of opponent's Exeggutor ROS 2's Shake It Off
––Does not hit for Weakness on any Pokémon in Standard

This list currently includes only cards in Standard. Expanded list coming soon (unless anyone else wants to work on it! ^.^).

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Does anyone remember my old Pokémon TCG Symbols font? Y'know, this ugly one:
pokemontcg_symbols_font_by_karite_kita_neko-d6j7bfd.png

I used a handwriting font converter to make it since my computer was too outdated to run any good font-making software (resulting in loss of detail), but I realized the other day that I could probably make a new one since I got another computer a while back. I'm new to this program, but I tried to make a HQ version for you guys. Hope it helps!

Miracle (9) is based on Miracle Energy from Neo Destiny.

UPDATE: New symbols added and spacing issues fixed (mostly). Character spacing still needs to be increased when listing multiple Types in a row.

UPDATE 2: Fixed the size. I also changed the Movie (Pikachu tail) symbol from z to v so it might be easier to remember (Movie).

UPDATE 3: Added gender symbols for Nido cards. Reassigned a few symbols to different characters.

UPDATE 4: Enlarged the Type, ex, Shining, and Mega symbols.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
giphy.gif
Hooray for revamped text things! Curious; could you potentially add the EX, Mega, Delta, etc symbols into that? Having them all in one font would be ultra useful! ^.^

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
giphy.gif
Hooray for revamped text things! Curious; could you potentially add the EX, Mega, Delta, etc symbols into that? Having them all in one font would be ultra useful! ^.^
I was actually just thinking about that. I might try adding them tomorrow (and try to fix the spacing if I can figure out how). Just to be sure I don't miss anything, is there anything I need besides these?

- Mega
- EX
- ex (for Advance-series cards)
- Delta
- Gold Star

(Should I also do Lv.X, or is that just one of the usual faking fonts bold+italic?)

EDIT: I probably won't add Platinum owner's Pokémon symbols.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I was actually just thinking about that. I might try adding them tomorrow (and try to fix the spacing if I can figure out how). Just to be sure I don't miss anything, is there anything I need besides these?

-snip-
I think its just 'M' for Mega, 'δ' for Delta, the gold star and the fancy 'EX' and 'BREAK' used in the respective ruleboxes. You may like to also make the GX symbol, to save the effort later on. 'ex', 'SP' and 'LvX' all look normal, I'm pretty sure. If you can get the 'G', 'E4', 'GL' and 'C' SP symbols in, that'd be great, but if not, no biggy.

What software are you using to make the font?

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I think its just 'M' for Mega, 'δ' for Delta, the gold star and the fancy 'EX' and 'BREAK' used in the respective ruleboxes. You may like to also make the GX symbol, to save the effort later on. 'ex', 'SP' and 'LvX' all look normal, I'm pretty sure. If you can get the 'G', 'E4', 'GL' and 'C' SP symbols in, that'd be great, but if not, no biggy.

What software are you using to make the font?

Ah, I almost forgot about GX and BREAK -- thanks!

I'm using Adobe Illustrator (which I do have experience with) to draw the symbols, then I'm importing them into Birdfont.

EDIT: Updated the symbols font (see post #31)!

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
What fonts do you use for your Japanese fakes, @Nekoban Ryo? I'm looking for a Japanese font that is pretty close to the Mega Text. I think Frutiger is pretty close to the English Mega text, if that helps.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
What fonts do you use for your Japanese fakes, @Nekoban Ryo? I'm looking for a Japanese font that is pretty close to the Mega Text. I think Frutiger is pretty close to the English Mega text, if that helps.
I don't think they're the exact ones, but they're pretty close to what I use them for (Classic-Neo cards):

- Hiragino Kaku Gothic family
- A-OTF Shin Go Pro family
- FOT-Rodin Pro family
- Meiryo

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Would you perhaps be able to send me those fonts (via PM or the like)? I've tried looking for them, but they're hard to find for me. :x

EDIT: From my research, Shin Go Pro and Rodin Pro are both very close.
EDIT 2: Found Shin Go Pro! ^.^

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Would you perhaps be able to send me those fonts (via PM or the like)? I've tried looking for them, but they're hard to find for me. :x

EDIT: From my research, Shin Go Pro and Rodin Pro are both very close.
EDIT 2: Found Shin Go Pro! ^.^
All the fonts I've used for my Japanese fakes are included with my the Japanese Neo PSD. However, it doesn't include the entire family for those fonts (only specific weights/styles).