Koala Pokemon 'Nekkoala' and Puppy Pokemon 'Iwanako' Revealed in 'CoroCoro!'

Did anyone realize the pidgeot or m pidgeot in left of m Gardevoir ? Does that mean Ashs pidgeot is returning ? :O I hope :D I hope it mega evolves too :D

267x200xIwanko-1-267x200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sBu3VrGoi_.jpg

This is just too precious!
"'Gimme a hug!" and "I'm gonna get you..., you..., you, tennis ball!" :D

I would say that this is my new favourite Rock-Type!

Am I the only one who noticed the sparkle in the desert on the map (on the first scan)? I wonder what that is all about.

Am I the only one who noticed the sparkle in the desert on the map (on the first scan)? I wonder what that is all about.

Mmm... If you see the map you can see there is... a bamboo forest? or something like that near the shine in CoroCoro's . Is not even in the first island, but is it marking the spot where the koala can be found?

About the puppy... Now I NEED pokemon Amie back to pet him all the day!!! :D

PD: sorry for my english

Maybe the puppy will become some kind of volcano dog later on. Also a narcoleptic koala, if they call it Narkoala...

Overall happy with these designs, great early routers, now for the bird.

It's about time we got a Koala Pokémon.

I hope Nekkoala evolves into a Normal/Psychic Type, or even become a Normal/Dark Type. It's Ability might be decent competitively, but only time will tell if that is the case. If it really can't be affected by stuff like Burn or Poison, then we're in for a good time.

Judging it's appearance, I reckon it will be slow, but rather tanky/strong physical attacker. A good HP stat wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Iwanako is just the new canine addition we need. The Rock Typing is very much welcomed for a potential early game dog Pokémon. I'm sure it will be an alright swift physical attacker. It is very cute, admittedly.

And Magearna's got a flower-based signature attack. The connection to Kalos is strong with this robotic lady.

And now we wait for any gameplay goodies E3 will provide us in the next two days.

As of the last three generations, many (though not all) of the new early route Pokémon have been getting better (had higher/usefully imbalanced stats in their final forms): Starly, Shinx, Budew, Purrloin, Lillipup, and Fletchling (even Bunnelby with its hidden ability). So, here's hoping these guys turn out to be viable through the game and meta.

Also, I remain hopeful for the still non-existent 3-Pokémon lines of pure bug, dark, ground, and/or poison to make a debut...

The Nekkoala is actually viable.

It's ability absorbs poison from toxic spikes, and burn from Will-o-wisp. Also no dank freeze hax from Ice Beam anymore. What else? Oh yea, immune to Thunder Wave.

Overall this is pretty great. If it evolves and keeps this ability, it's definitely got a niche in OU I would think.

The Koala Pokemon is interesting. Wouldn't be surprised to see it become part Grass (making a really unique Normal/Grass typing) if it gets evolution(s). It probably will.

Deep Sleep is a really unique Ability, shuts out anything but Sleep. That's nice, I guess.

I'm definitely naming the dog Rocky, it's so adorable!

Same thing goes for the koala, I do hope it gets a split-evolution. The last new Pokemon that had one was Burmy.

So far, I'm catching Iwanko, picking Popplio and transferring my competitive Zygarde. This will be on my Moon version. But I am not the biggest fan of Nekkoala. It is just not cute to me. Hopefully these Pokémon have good evolutions!

BWAHAHAHA THE DOG LOOKS ALMOST EXACTLY HOW I PREDICTED!~
untitled_drawing_by_skyleaf2000-da2fvly.png
But I'm glad it's Rock-Type rather than my predicted Normal. Adds a little spice! ;3

Actually, kinda annoyed at the dog. I mean, love him as a Pokemon, but if it does turn out to be something you encounter everywhere early on, being stuck with normal-type attacks on our starters will make them a real pain.
...Actually, for that reason, I bet we won't find them in the beginning routes.

What? Your starter will not be stuck with normal-type attacks because it will already have at least one move of its type... Your only trouble is if you choose Litten, since the dog will resist its early Fire attack (but at the same time, it makes it more challenging if you choose it). Rowlet has to watch out for the weakness but can attack for weakness too. Popplio will have an easy time with this dog.

The Koala Pokemon is interesting. Wouldn't be surprised to see it become part Grass (making a really unique Normal/Grass typing) if it gets evolution(s). It probably will.

Deerling and Sawsbuck just called to say "hi!"...

People are saying Nekkokoala will likely evolve into a Normal/Grass-Type, but judging by its abilities I predict it to Evolve into a Normal/Psychic. Dreams and sleeping make me think of Musharna.
Also, I desperately hope Nekkokoala can learn Sleep Talk.

[disclaimer: hi sorry I just saw that this was posted in another area of the forums so I'm v v sorry for not looking for this before posting it here sorry sorry]

Tada! Finally that mystery Pokemon that was "accidentally" leaked has a name: Iwanko, and it has a friend, Nekkoala.
nekkoala-iwanko-corocoro.jpg

Iwanko is a Rock-type with either Vital Spirit or Keen Eye, and Nekkoala is a normal-type with a new ability, Definite Sleep, that prevents all status conditions except sleep. Thoughts?

My guess is that these are two of the Pokemon that will be the standard Route 1 catches.

pokemon-corocoro-2-656x492.jpg

pokemon-corocoro-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really like Iwanko! I find it interesting. There's also something about the starters and I also like Nekkoala, but not as much as Iwanko.

What? Your starter will not be stuck with normal-type attacks because it will already have at least one move of its type... Your only trouble is if you choose Litten, since the dog will resist its early Fire attack (but at the same time, it makes it more challenging if you choose it). Rowlet has to watch out for the weakness but can attack for weakness too. Popplio will have an easy time with this dog.
Right right, they changed that. Still, annoying early things are usually Normal (or, yes, Flying, but without Flying moves) for the purpose of not immediately hindering the starter choice. I'd still like to believe that this dog actually becomes something much more special than it already is, and being something relatively rare we find later on.
I'd hate for something this unique to be written off as the next Lillipup.

Last edited:
Ok so I heard that Corocoro says Iwanko and the starters hold some kind of secret with the trainer... My guess is it ties into those bracelets. My theory about them is that those bracelets hold energy from the sun or moon and are able to bring certain pokemon to an "awakened" form or unlock a dormant form. What I mean is like, some pokemon (diurnal animals maybe, like dogs and sea lions) might have a form that brings out their full potential when they are fully awake whereas others (nocturnals, like owls and cats) would have a form that is brought out by the moon and brings out skills they were prior unable to access.

Edit: I almost forgot!

I wanted to say that I have a theory on Nekkoala and Iwanko with their evolution lines.

First off, Nekkoala. I honestly feel like it'll likely evolve into a very large and lazy koala with similar stats to Snorlax, making it like the Gen 7 Snorlax. I may be just very hopeful, though, as I feel like it's more likely to be like Castform and Kecleon with an ability gimmick and no evolutions.

As for Iwanko, I'm going to bet it'll evolve into a guard dog or hunting dog. Not exactly sure why. I know for sure it's bound to excel in attack with at least average speed and defense. I also can't help but feel it WILL be a 3 stage evolution like a 7th gen Shinx of sorts. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a dog made of rocks. Onixdog for Champion 2017

Last edited:
Back