Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

I've been testing Talonflame BREAK with the XY base one as a rogue. Now, the deck could possibly be competitive with this card. I can see this card being as played as much as Latios-EX from ROS. If only more stage two Pokemon could have this ability :D!

This may be a dumb question, but isn't there a rule that says you have to have at least 1 basic in your deck? I know this card can be played as a basic before the start of the game, but since its technically a stage 2 - would you even be allowed to play a game with only 4 talonflame as your only "basic" in the deck.

This may be a dumb question, but isn't there a rule that says you have to have at least 1 basic in your deck? I know this card can be played as a basic before the start of the game, but since its technically a stage 2 - would you even be allowed to play a game with only 4 talonflame as your only "basic" in the deck.
I believe you still need at least one basic pokemon but that would be the best way to use it because talon flame has to be active anyway so you'd be stuck with one pokemon.

Also if you get talonflame off a mulligan would it's ability be in affect

Its ability would not be in effect since you have to start it - The reason I asked my question as well as with rotation, in theory, it could be an interesting option to setup archie's/maxie (in theory if N wasn't a thing at least :p)

Interesting, interesting.

Well the fact it's colorless at least means it can be used in any deck (and is a plus since I like card types that aren't previously released). It's seriously no different than EX's and in fact is still underpowered compared to said EX's.

Guess that means we can expect a Flecthling and Fletchinder (hope it too is colorless) and maybe Talonflame BREAK.

In a way it would be cool to more Pokémon with this ability, particularly those that have BREAKS. Still in the long run I don't know how many I'd really want running around. One Pokémon like this is a curiosity, even a wonder. But too many like this becomes something different altogether.

Interesting...and on the additional plus side, unlike (most) other stage 2 cards (minus Maxie and Archie power), you don't really HAVE to have the pre-evos (though it's a big chance to draw Talonflame). It's on par with some other non-ex big basics, so I don't think it's overpowered. Searching for 2 cards is a great effect, though it begs opponents to then use red card, N, Judge, etc.

This is really interesting! It also has a really neat set up attack, which makes it something you really do want to start off with. Now what was that BREAK like that we all initially wrote off as garbage? xD

They won't print more Pokémon cards with this ability, simply because Gale Wings is Talonflame's signature ability in the games, and it's also the only reason it's used in VGC. It makes all its flying-type moves go first, for anyone who knows about the video game

Sounds cool to start with and to search out 2 cards in your first move! Assuming you go second. Oh, and N is back in the format.

How do you play this card? It's not like if you start out with 4 that you can put them all down, it's only to active. It's effect is O.K. if you can get it out, and it easily dies to Night March. It's not really all that good.
Edit: Though it would be Fire first and then Normal, making the normal typing pretty useless, I think it still should of been a dual type.

Last edited:
Release this in English, Japanese, European etc. now. That card would be too OP to be Japan exclusive. And also it should be banned the day it becomes legal.

Release this in English, Japanese, European etc. now. That card would be too OP to be Japan exclusive. And also it should be banned the day it becomes legal.
C'mon all you need is a little Brave Birding everything in your life...

This is a really interesting way to recreate Gale Wings in the TCG.

Care to say why it should be banned? It's no different than any other powerful Basic like Baby Yveltal or any EX, and has a mediocre-to-decent setup attack that deals little-but-fairly-enough damage effect of which can be cancelled out with N, Judge or Red Card. I fail to see how it's overpowered. It's not top of the line, but a decent competitive card to make Talonflame BREAK a bit more viable.

If you really think about it, this COULD be used with Vespiquen or, if expanded, Flareon. Toss the rest in the discard pile to power their attacks.

Doesn't mean it a good idea, but it is an option.

Guess that means we can expect a Flecthling and Fletchinder (hope it too is colorless) and maybe Talonflame BREAK.

There's already a Talonflame BREAK japanese promo...

...which I think will be in our English set, first because there's this new Talonflame line and also because the english set has 7 pokémon BREAK, and I don't see one of the japanese sub-sets having one more BREAK card than the other...

Back