Unanswered Questions in Life

Gotcha.
Third question: why does humanity keep appearing to abandon common sense to support their comfort technology?

What is the scientific reason baby fingernails are so sharp? Note I tried googling this and all it came up with were jokes about how sharp they are.

Probably because humans undergo their fastest and greatest growth period in their early years. A human baby will double his/her birthweight in a matter of weeks and double his/her height in a year.
This growth involves the growth of skeletal bones and the thickening of bane plates (nails included).

Frequently cutting baby nails is hard because they are always wriggling around and they have such teeny tiny little fingers and nails.

Gotcha.
Third question: why does humanity keep appearing to abandon common sense to support their comfort technology?

2 possible answers:

1: Christians believe it's because Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge and as a result all of humanity lost right standing with God and will make sinful choices and follow a sinful road. Only through the sacrifice of the death of Jesus is sin redeemed in the eyes God. Acknowledging Jesus and God and living a Christ like existence should, in theory, allow humanity to turn aside from greedy pursuits.

2: non Christians, (and possibly Christians too),pwho agree with your view that the support of comfort technology needs to abandoned, would argue that humanity is just plain STUPID!

*Empoleon_master used Revive, on Thread*

Why do cats lay on their backs and then claw you to hell if you rub their bellies because of it? This honestly makes no sense, unless at some point during the evolution of cats there was a REALLY big problem with venomous spiders dropping down slowly from ceilings and onto cats.

Seriously, when did mold get so common in the air that if you forgot that your bread is one week past its expiration date that it is very likely to get mold on it, despite it being in a generally clean environment?

What IS the point of a rubber chicken? #inb4AurthurWeasley

aaand that's all I can think of at 5 am post your guys' stuff below.

*Empoleon_master used Revive, on Thread*

Why do cats lay on their backs and then claw you to hell if you rub their bellies because of it? This honestly makes no sense, unless at some point during the evolution of cats there was a REALLY big problem with venomous spiders dropping down slowly from ceilings and onto cats.
When cats lie on their backs they're feeling vulnerable. They do it as a sign of trust, such as how certain breeds of dogs put their mouths around your arm. When you try and scratch their belly, most cats get frightened and you're betraying their trust when you do so.

Cat =/= Dog :p
Seriously, when did mold get so common in the air that if you forgot that your bread is one week past its expiration date that it is very likely to get mold on it, despite it being in a generally clean environment?
Uhhhhhhh, I'm sure there are sciencey reasons. Probably something to do with humans ruining the planet, causing pollution and over-reliance on antibiotics causing stronger species of pathogens (which is what mould is) and making them more ubiquitous too.

Something that I never understood is why is alcohol legal, but things like marijuana and shrooms are illegal when they are just plants that are far less dangerous than alcohol

Something that I never understood is why is alcohol legal, but things like marijuana and shrooms are illegal when they are just plants that are far less dangerous than alcohol
Alcohol is an embedded and essential part of culture. IMO marijuana should be legal (but that's a whole other topic with both sides well represented) because it's also a very important part of culture. However, alcohol is essentially a case of "people will get mad af if we ban it, so we kinda can't". They tax it so much and there are age restrictions (albeit no one cares about those) so they do put in a lot of measures to limit the amount of use people get out of it.

But yeah, essentially it's just "alcohol is too important to culture for us to get rid of now". It'd mean shutting down every bar, night club and raising taxes significantly elsewhere considering how much income the sin tax makes for the Government. It simply wouldn't be practical or possible.

Why do some people not like pokemon?
Are they some sort of aliens?

(I don't know if these people really exist, but the legend sais they do.)

@flilix Some people are not brought into this world to find happiness.

Makes me wonder...

Why do I like my coffee black? And why do I like the rain?

Seriously I've tried googling and searching on youtube but all I've come up with is that mold is bad, it can destroy homes and kill you, also it's used in lots of food yaay mold. NOTHING about the history of mold or how long ago it spread so wildly. The more interesting thing is that I didn't even find a single mention of the giant mushrooms that once covered the earth before trees evolved into existence.

I personally think that mold existed practically from the point the world began. Mold is a microbe, and a microbe is technically just a microscopic animal. I don't believe animals just came from nothing, and as such, I don't think mold came from nothing (and suddenly pop into being years after the world began), so I think it would have existed very early in the beginning age of the world. I'd also assume mold was around far before records existed, if the "how long ago" question isn't answerable but a simple Google search. It's all technical science-y stuff though. :x

I personally think that mold existed practically from the point the world began. Mold is a microbe, and a microbe is technically just a microscopic animal. I don't believe animals just came from nothing, and as such, I don't think mold came from nothing (and suddenly pop into being years after the world began), so I think it would have existed very early in the beginning age of the world. I'd also assume mold was around far before records existed, if the "how long ago" question isn't answerable but a simple Google search. It's all technical science-y stuff though. :x
I was talking about scientists doing carbon dating or some science stuff to tell me how the hell specifically food mold got to be so high in concentration in the air that it will ruin food left in the fridge for more than 2 weeks.

How come we never see any baby pigeons?

Why is the sky blue?

How come Game Freak didn't (they might, but I'm unsure) release a 3rd game starring Zygarde and his complete forms?

Why is the sky blue?

tl;dr: light refraction. There are actually quite a few ELI5 in-depth explanations about this on google, since it's a pretty commonly asked question.

But the reason why I really quoted your post is...

How come we never see any baby pigeons?

Fun fact: my mother-in-law actually "adopted" a baby pigeon a couple years ago after it broke a wing and ran into her kitchen in terror. It was pretty ugly (in a cute sort of way). His name was Claudius. I helped take care of him while she was at work. He stayed with us for about 2 weeks or so and it was quite good fun to watch him growing older and healing.

But mostly people don't see baby pigeons because pigeons are very secretive about where they keep their nests, and pigeons stay in the "nesting" phase until they're almost adult, so you generally don't see the babies unless you're specifically hunting for them (and know where to look).

@flilix Some people are not brought into this world to find happiness.

Makes me wonder...

Why do I like my coffee black? And why do I like the rain?

You like black coffee most likely because you like bitter stuff over sweets. You like the rain for any variety of reasons, from the noises it makes, to getting wet or just the weather itself.

This.
This is my thread.
This is the one where all these questions get heard.

Every now and then, I find myself with strange, usually philosophical questions about society, most of which I believe can't be "properly" answered. It's just this weird thing that I can't put into words. Anyways, I don't expect to necessarily hear answers to these, but since there's a thread for unanswered questions in life, I may as well just unload everything I've got and wait.

1) What exactly is language? I'm not just talking about written or spoken, but both. How did we decide on the set of characters we use today? How does making certain sounds somehow make sense to others? Why did we decide on the set we use now? Why has it rarely/never changed? How did we decide on what certain combinations of characters mean and what ones are seen as acceptable?

2) Why do we exist? What is life? What exactly is the goal of humanity in itself?

3) What exactly defines us as different? I know some differences are clear as day, but why do we never treat them as if they were just like "normal" people?

4) What exactly defines "normal"? Nothing is ever normal. Why do we treat life as if it is "normal"? Does normal simply define "usual"?

5) What is communication? How do our mannerisms leave different impressions on people based on their thoughts and values?

6) What is emotion? Why do certain things cause us to feel certain ways? Why is there sometimes a lack of emotion in people? What causes emotion?

7) What exactly defines people as "different"? What defines difference in general? What do those labels mean? What steers us away from difference and change? Why do we treat it as an awful thing to stay away from?

8) Why is society the way it is? Why do we treat others so poorly so often?

9) What is competition? Why are we as human beings always striving to become bigger and better? Why are we always wanting power? Why do we trust others with power?

10) Why do we trust others?

11) What exactly is love? I'm not talking as in love between family, but rather love for those unrelated to oneself, as in a couple or relationship. Why do we become drawn towards certain types of people? What exactly causes us to feel a strong bond between them? Why do people love one another so much as to decide to spend life with each other? (Love is something I've never really understood, and I probably never will... –_–")

12) What causes hate? Why do we feel dislike for certain people? What exactly is hatred?

Yes, I have unloaded a lot on this thread. No, this isn't all of them. There's probably a few I've forgotten somewhere, but I'll probably leave those. Thanks for reading through this giant backlog of questions!

This.
This is my thread.
This is the one where all these questions get heard.

Every now and then, I find myself with strange, usually philosophical questions about society, most of which I believe can't be "properly" answered. It's just this weird thing that I can't put into words. Anyways, I don't expect to necessarily hear answers to these, but since there's a thread for unanswered questions in life, I may as well just unload everything I've got and wait.

2) Why do we exist? What is life? What exactly is the goal of humanity in itself?

4) What exactly defines "normal"? Nothing is ever normal. Why do we treat life as if it is "normal"? Does normal simply define "usual"?

6) What is emotion? Why do certain things cause us to feel certain ways? Why is there sometimes a lack of emotion in people? What causes emotion?

8) Why is society the way it is? Why do we treat others so poorly so often?

11) What exactly is love? I'm not talking as in love between family, but rather love for those unrelated to oneself, as in a couple or relationship. Why do we become drawn towards certain types of people? What exactly causes us to feel a strong bond between them? Why do people love one another so much as to decide to spend life with each other? (Love is something I've never really understood, and I probably never will... –_–")
You should look into philosophy books. You might find some of the concepts interesting.

I just picked some basic questions. All of the things you are asking about are such abstract concepts that you can't really answer these questions. It is all up to you, and your interpretations.

Normal is frankly what most of the population is doing. If most people in a community like football then liking football is normal. Not being normal isn't bad, but it isn't normal.

Maybe someone who knows more philosophy will be able to give you examples of what others have said about these concepts, but I tried :C

This.
3) What exactly defines us as different? I know some differences are clear as day, but why do we never treat them as if they were just like "normal" people?

I can answer, or try to answer these ones.

3) You answered your own question. It appears now as if "normal" is synonymous with "usual" what usually happens ix expected to be "normal".

6) Emotions are chemicals in our brains that cause us to feel things. Lack of emotion = lack of proper chemical(s). Emotion is caused by said chemicals.

11) Scientifically, love is part of those chemicals in out brain, and to put it quite bluntly humans are driven to breed by instinct and to continue our species. You can't really choose who you love, but from what I understand when you find them, you find them. People spend their lives with other people because of love and care, they support each other and want to be with each other. It is very hard to explain the non-scientific definition of love.

Back