• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yveltal / Zoroark / Gallade for States

TeamAustin

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon (16):
  • 3 Yveltal
  • 1 Yveltal (BKT)
  • 2 Yveltal XY
  • 2 Zorua
  • 2 Zoroark
  • 2 Unown
  • 2 Gallade
  • 1 Girachi
  • 1 Seismitoad EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (33):
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 1 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 2 Acro Bike
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 2 Reverse Valley
Energy (11):
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 7 Darkness Energy
Strategy:

Hi all Pokemon Players! Our first post. My son and I are working on his deck for State, one week to go. We've tested variants of YZG with good success, but anticipate a stronger showing from improved Night March, Trevenant, and Manectric/Jolteon EX next week. Thoughts on improving this deck would be appreciated.

Quick word on our strategy: Continue the play style of YZG while countering the increased lighting and lock down threats.

With all the strategies to OHKO Shaymin for two easy prize cards, we gradually reduced from 2 to 1 to now none in favor of other cards. Now wondering if we're too focused on defense at expense of card draw? Also, we play just two Sycamores so we can get to Gallade quicker.

TeamAustin

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, so he's playing in a League Challenge as the only Jr (and no Sr) so playing against Masters. Won the first against Night March 6-0 with Baby Yveltal, then Seismitoad EX, then Yveltal (BKT). Held Yveltal EX back in his hand.
Dropped the next two. Recommendation from his third opponent was to add 2 Shaymin. But what should come out? ?

TeamAustin

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I caved and made a last minute change that, ironically cost him dearly. Some will argue it was essential and probably helped throughout the day, but I'll never know. The night before his State tournament I changed -1 Battle Compressor +1 Shaymin EX. Through the swiss rounds he went 3-0-1, then ID'd the fifth round with a M Manetric deck (4-0-1) to go 3-0-2 to make the top 8 cut in 2nd. Won the quarter against a Giritina/Fairy deck, then the semi (deck ??).

Final matchup put him against a well-played Night March deck, second NM of the day. And wouldn't you know it, Game 1 his first and only Basic was none other than Shaymin. Wonderful. Dropped that and Game 2 - kudos to his opponent and friend. So, YZG with a Seismitoad twist finished second overall (5-1-2) at the State Junior level.

PokeDad5

Aspiring Trainer
There's ways to get around people OHKO'ing your Shaymin. The problem with this deck is there no draw support so if you get a crappy hand or even a decent starting hand, without draw support you're left with what you started with. Fortunately for him he's a junior and kids don't always build their strategy as fast as they can so not having draw supporters doesn't hurt him as bad. It will however in the future as he will not have time to build his deck without draw support. A good night March player can be setup in 1 turn to do OHKO's for the next 2 turns. Congrats on second place though! That's awesome!

TeamAustin

Aspiring Trainer
In hindsight, agreed. He did say he was stuck in one swiss match with both Maxie's in his hand and nothing more.

Thank you! Best luck to yours!