Hints at Next Years Rotation

Bats don't bother me, but I think it would be better to if Night March went off to Expanded, and I'll happily say goodbye to Bats as the price for getting rid of it. It's getting way too centralized, almost as bad as Toad towards the end of the last format. The whole "you either have to play it or counter it" is not good for the game, and that's what we're seeing- NM dominating and only item lock decks performing against it. Agree that it would be great to keep Compressor.

I hope we get a Korinna reprint though.

I agree.

Yet, in regards to Compressor, without it, we would need to rely on our hand and Psychic's Third Eye from BREAKPoint to discard unnecessary cards, and that won't be as good as Compressor is. The term Team Flare Gear surely sealed the fate of that print of Compressor... Why? Because if they leave Kalos come S/M, with no Team Flare to ensure the Gear makes sense, if they remake that card, the old one most likely can't be used due to the need for a different name... So we may have to collect Compressors again, whether or not they decide to make the only way to reprint it in a way that ensures the name makes sense a reality: a partial-reprint of that same card(like the one that occurred to Mr. Mime(Bench Barrier) and Garbodor('Toxin))...

Last edited:
I agree.

Yet, in regards to Compressor, without it, we would need to rely on our hand and Psychic's Third Eye from BREAKPoint to discard unnecessary cards, and that won't be as good as Compressor is. The term Team Flare Gear surely sealed the fate of that print of Compressor... Why? Because if they leave Kalos come S/M, with no Team Flare to ensure the Gear makes sense, if they remake that card, the old one most likely can't be used due to the need for a different name... So we may have to collect Compressors again, whether or not they decide to make the only way to reprint it in a way that ensures the name makes sense a reality: a partial-reprint of that same card(like the one that occurred to Mr. Mime(Bench Barrier) and Garbodor('Toxin))...

We already have Skyla and N (in Fates Collide) reprinted from B/W though and that's a discarded era now, so I don't think they're bothered anymore about using cards from old eras at all (perhaps the Sycamore/Juniper thing was too much of a hassle?)

We already have Skyla and N (in Fates Collide) reprinted from B/W though and that's a discarded era now, so I don't think they're bothered anymore about using cards from old eras at all (perhaps the Sycamore/Juniper thing was too much of a hassle?)

But don't forget: Team Flare Gear was part of the name of the Battle Compressor card, so if they want to reprint that come S/M's TCG gen, but not in the next BREAK set(in Japan, not Fates Collide, which is the next BREAK set to be released in the Americas), as the next BREAK set's likely the last one of the block, and if PHF is rotated afterwards, reprinting it as a TF Gear card would not make sense, and since Gear is part of the name, any reprint of BC will either have to not make sense(meaning referencing TF in the next generation of Pokemon TCG), or be a partial-reprint(leaving the PHF print to bite the dust)...

With Random Receiver being reprinted, I think it is safe to assume that the next JP set will give us another BW reprint that will make up for the lack of options so far.

The XY Series of Supporters are all getting reprinted in the decks, now all that remains is for Korrina and AZ to be reprinted to complete my theory.
I am becoming more and more convinced that a PRC-on format is likely for September, as the BREAK series is likely to end of this year with Sun Moon's release. For those of you who think PHF is the start of a new block, I disagree, just because it is the first set that allows Megas to not lose turn does not mean something is new. PRC's Ancient Trait is more of the start then anything, in addition, it is also the start of the ORAS block, which is quite logical if you think about it. It cuts XY, FF, FuF, and PF. We are starting another Generation at the end of the year, cutting the XY block makes sense.

From where I'm standing, I'd be more inclined to think Phantom Forces WILL be the next start of the rotation for next year. The reason being is that Pokemon or in this case, TPCI tends to rotate out up to sets that have introduced a new mechanic.

In the B&W2 era, we had Boundaries Crossed which introduced the aspect of A-Spec cards. When the rotation was announced for that, TPCI left Boundaries Crossed for that rotation as the beginning point. So what does this mean for us? Well, Phantom Forces introduced the use of Spirit Links and I do think that is the reason why Phantom Forces will be in the rotation next year. And obviously, with the majority of staples within that set, I don't think TPCI would have a healthy Standard format if they did a dick move and rotate it to Primal Clash.

@Clear, is Random Receiver being reprinted as I haven't seen nor heard of rumours of this happening? And with regards to Supporters, the next set should be the introduction of some new, perhaps old effects from the previous sets. I mean, N is being reprinted (annoyingly so) as did Skyla. But I'm hoping that we can get some better effects this time round.

Honestly, I think the game was more diverse than last year. But I do think it's fun to speculate a bit.

My prediction is that they will do same thing as they did last year. I just think creating a standardized method of rotation will help with production and marketing on the back end, which will help with the front end distribution. Isolating a standard method for product rotation and upgrade is a pretty big key in manufacturing principles. If your not standardizing manufacturing principles, Six sigma quality takes a hit, it messes the company up. You basically scrap production because the quality is not there. I think that is why Pokemon Z is messed up. Though, I think the cooperation is still deciding, I think standardizing, and keeping things sane for personnel is key, they will keep with what they did last year. It makes it easier, and puts everybody on the same page.

But ya, from the article below there appears to be some tug and pull at the company. And when a company is having a tug and pull, you can tell by little things, Skyla and N are what I consider the little things.

http://www.mnrdaily.com/article/pok...ut-due-to-announcement-of-new-titles/9702.htm

Hopes:

Expanded: Next Destinies or boundaries crossed - on
Standard: Phantom forces - on

PHF-on looks probable. Plus we would lose Trev, Toad, plus most of the fighting support (most likely excluding strong energy), so it's a definite change.

As for Expanded, it probably will not rotate unless Japan rotates Standard away from BLW-on. Expanded was created to make it possible to play in the same field as the Japanese, if my suspicions are correct. Rotation of Expanded before Japan rotates would make a need for a third P!P format.

@Clear, is Random Receiver being reprinted as I haven't seen nor heard of rumours of this happening? And with regards to Supporters, the next set should be the introduction of some new, perhaps old effects from the previous sets. I mean, N is being reprinted (annoyingly so) as did Skyla. But I'm hoping that we can get some better effects this time round.

Right there, it is reprinted in the IDK-EX Battle deck with a Sycamore mugshot.
This is another hint I am taking that they are getting rid of Battle Compressor back to the age of Random Receivers.

Also, if you think about it: Would they get rid of item locking and let Night March have ANOTHER year in standard?
All getting rid of PF will do is get rid of NM, and Battle Compressor. People stopped using Receiver as soon as Compressor + Vs Seeker is better, see what they are doing? They are dialing back mistakes in standard, at least I hope so.

Last edited:
Also, if you think about it: Would they get rid of item locking and let Night March have ANOTHER year in standard?
All getting rid of PF will do is get rid of NM, and Battle Compressor. People stopped using Receiver as soon as Compressor + Vs Seeker is better, see what they are doing? They are dialing back mistakes in standard, at least I hope so.

This is gonna sound cranky... it is a bit, but not at you but at the-powers-that-be.

Don't give them so much credit. I used to, but while things seemed to be making progress as the Neo era led to the e-card era lead to the EX-era, by the DP-era something seemed off. Fast forward to the present and it is often one step forward, two steps back. I even got a refresher as some articles required I go through the first 38 sets. I do not know how much they are bothered by Night March, but I do know that if it is a real concern it is a pretty easy deck to nerf. Lysandre's Trump Card was blatantly broken but the correct approach. Just tweak the old Town Volunteers Supporter so that it has the same effect except you can use it on either player's discard pile (cards still go to their owner's deck). You get a card that might still be useful even if it kills Night March decks because hey, that works "okay" with general strategies.

Item lock isn't a real solution; sure it is hard on Night March decks but it is hard on most decks. No thanks. ;) Still even if you are correct and that is the solution, we have the potential for T1 Vileplume or just a new Item lock card being printed. That is why speculating based on reprints/card pool is usually a waste. Typically three to five sets are rotated out; that is the most consistent thing and the best predictor of what will happen. We've had rotation create unbalanced formats. We've had it create "dead cards" that could be run but not played.

This is gonna sound cranky... it is a bit, but not at you but at the-powers-that-be.

Don't give them so much credit. I used to, but while things seemed to be making progress as the Neo era led to the e-card era lead to the EX-era, by the DP-era something seemed off. Fast forward to the present and it is often one step forward, two steps back. I even got a refresher as some articles required I go through the first 38 sets. I do not know how much they are bothered by Night March, but I do know that if it is a real concern it is a pretty easy deck to nerf. Lysandre's Trump Card was blatantly broken but the correct approach. Just tweak the old Town Volunteers Supporter so that it has the same effect except you can use it on either player's discard pile (cards still go to their owner's deck). You get a card that might still be useful even if it kills Night March decks because hey, that works "okay" with general strategies.

Item lock isn't a real solution; sure it is hard on Night March decks but it is hard on most decks. No thanks. ;) Still even if you are correct and that is the solution, we have the potential for T1 Vileplume or just a new Item lock card being printed. That is why speculating based on reprints/card pool is usually a waste. Typically three to five sets are rotated out; that is the most consistent thing and the best predictor of what will happen. We've had rotation create unbalanced formats. We've had it create "dead cards" that could be run but not played.

I honestly hope that PCI will NOT letting another year of playing NM. What is the use of them making all these new cards, if NM can just stump them to the ground with a a deck cost less than a sandwich, I mean, budget decks should have a chance, but dang, NM takes it way too far. I mean, look at that FC Mew! It is designed to be busted for NM. They have been reviewing, and deciding which cards are allowed to come back, and I sincerely hope that they get rid of NM for good. It also makes more sense, since we are heading to a new generation, to cut off the XY block all together, and start with the ORAS block.

They can give back Compressor to give Maxie, and Archie decks some way to play, but NM existed only cause LTC was suppose to be a balance. Now, if such card you said gets reprinted (I highly doubt it), the problem still exist for me to tech the card in the deck... JUST for the NM matchup; That is not okay. This is not like Hex Maniac where turning off abilities can be used in multiple situations; there is almost no point to shuffle stuff back into people's decks, except for NM.

I honestly hope that PCI will NOT letting another year of playing NM. What is the use of them making all these new cards...

...if the vast majority of them aren't worth using in competitive play. Yeah, welcome to TCGs in general. Regrettably that is how most of the ones I have played operate. For the record Night March is most likely not the problem. You know why? We've had almost the exact same problem for years. Including before Night March! For a while now the game has struggled to get away from decks that either

1) Steamroll the opponent with raw power to the point it does not matter what the other player does. (Deluge)
2) Turn the game into more or less solitaire through control measures. (Seismitoad-EX)
3) A combination of the above. (Primal Groudon-EX)

It does not matter whether or not these decks are expensive or budget, no deck should do that to most of the format. I haven't been able to play as much lately, so Night March being this much of a hassle is new to me. If I have to choose between the three above styles of play or Night March, which is the Steamroll strategy but with glass cannons, I'll go with it. Unfortunately, that seems to be how the-powers-that-be operate.

Also, the hypothetical card I described should have a use outside of countering Night March. I literally took a card that used to be a deck staple and just added to its effect. It might seem weird because right now you use an Item to get stuff back from the discard pile, but I do not believe the game has shifted enough where - especially with VS Seeker still legal - having a Supporter to do a better job but at a higher cost would be a problem. There are other options as well; in fact we keep getting cards that are designed to mess with Night March. The new Mew does not strike me as particularly broken. We all can see how it is intended to be used. We can also see that it is yet another glass cannon. It provides an alternate to Mew-EX in Expanded and returns some of the deck's lost potential in Standard. It looks like a good card, but it isn't like it is a 180 HP Basic Pokémon-EX that for a Double Colorless Energy can shut down about a third of my deck in a format where running fewer Items loses me more games than slamming headfirst into the Item lock decks. =P

Back