Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

About Strong Energy:

Did you see the Furious Fists symbol?

^ A sign that it's not a true reprint...

^ If it was, it would've got a different set symbol...

^ Then again, wait until NA gets the set, and we'll see if that leads to a SE exclusion from Fates Collide...

^ Whatever, if it's not reprinted here, we have one more set to go in August before we could say bye-bye to Strong Energy, as it fades from standard format thanks to the rotation sunset... :(

You know, I would think we'd have much more hype behind the Barbacle...
Isn't Special energy lock is too good to pass up? So much that we had some insane comination of alternating attackers to vary between special energy lock and item lock?

Looking at these new cards... It's a rogue deck maker's paradice! The first deck I want to make when they're available Online is a Serperior-Barbaracle-Miltank deck. With so little energy needed and an easy way to Paralyze and stop special energy, I can see nasty things it could do to the Metagame.

But that's just one deck I'm eyeing out, though! So many gimmicks...

I feel like this set has drifted away from the status quo quite a bit, which is welcome of course! Lots of returning Pokes, lots of abilities that throw wrenches into various decks, annoyingly good Breaks (ignoring Lugia)...

I actually like the Team Rocket FA a ton, even though it's not very useful competitively. Cards with baddies are always fun to collect.

I'm a bit sad that Kabutops isn't better, considering the Fossil support (Excavation) and the Omastar line being insanely useful. I've used many different Kabutops decks over the years, and will try to enjoy at least a few months of Fighting support with Kabutops before they all get rotated (assuming this Strong Energy reprint isn't XY10, of course).

The Reuniclus line seems like it'll be really fun to play, and I feel it'll have a bigger showing than initially expected. I'll definitely be trying it out myself. It's just a shame it maxes out at 90 HP.

And what's with Carbink being so dang useful? All three of its coming cards are so supportive they could lead a group therapy class.

About Strong Energy:

^ Then again, wait until NA gets the set, and we'll see if that leads to a SE exclusion from Fates Collide...

^ Whatever, if it's not reprinted here, we have one more set to go in August before we could say bye-bye to Strong Energy, as it fades from standard format thanks to the rotation sunset... :(

The pictures are just english card placeholders, they are going to be in the reprinted in starter deck itself as an actual reprint.

Yay for Seel and Dewgong. Finally, The Burmy line too...

Why another regular Rotom? Why not include its other forms instead? With their secondary types, for that matter? Wasted opportunity...

The Solosis artwork, even though is done by a different artist, has the Shellder from Rage of the Broken Heavens that's also in the desert...

Zygarde 10% forme having Aura Break as an attack kinda confirms it will also have the ability in the games. I wonder if the Complete Forme also keeps the ability.
Speaking of which, I'm so disappointed there's no FA Zygarde-EX. Why couldn't they include one in the deck? Seriously. They really don't care much about Zygarde, do they? They should probably stop making 3rd legendaries. In fact, Zygarde is not even a 3rd cover legendary since there are no games for it... *sigh*

This is the 3rd BREAK set (maybe the last, I don't know, I just have a strange feeling there might not be another XY BREAK set...) and still no actual support for the titular mechanic.

About Strong Energy:

Strong Energy IS included in the Zygarde-EX deck. So, TPCi may or may not include it in the english set too, depending on how they feel about it...

Also, the twitter user who leaked the set, also posted an image with the card list of the Mega Audino deck. The missing pokémon are Mr. Mime (fairy-type), Snubbull and Kangaskhan and Random Receiver (from Dark Explorers) is getting a reprint (most likely with new artwork).

My body is ready

Honestly though. So happy to see all the neglected Pokemon get some love!
Favorite XY set, even if most everything isn't viable.

BTW, does this mean Strong Energy is staying in rotation? Fighting Decks really don't need this much support.

About Strong Energy:

Notice that the Strong Energy is in English. That is just a placeholder until it gets released

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did Zygarde and Mew have different holo patterns in the ads? Did that holo make it into the final set?

The pictures are just english card placeholders, they are going to be in the reprinted in starter deck itself as an actual reprint.
SO happy to see SE getting reprinted :) MY Garchomp is safe!!

So, let me get this straight- Mega Garchomp can use DDE T1, any energy and Mega Turbo T2, take a hit from just about anything, Fairy Drop to heal yourself off, and hit for a potential 180 with no recoil T2? TPCI will make Fairy Drop basic fairy energy in English, won't it?
I feel like Fairy Drop will be used by Dragons more than Fairies since Fairies already have Aromatisse n Max Potion. Sounds funny as Fairies n Dragons being rivals but with the rotation, Aromatisse will be gone n hopefully Fairies will rely on Fairy Drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always liked Serperior and single energy Stage 2 decks are fun to play.
I'm excited, hope this line ends up being decent.

So are there two carbink? Or was the safeguard just an early mistranslation?

No the safeguard was a correct translation. My guess is that since it was paired in a picture with the BREAK, which is in the deck, it is also in the deck

I like a lot of the effects that the cards have this time around, looking forward to going to my first big event in Japan this May (mega blastoise battle) and trying some of these out!

it some Kind of drives me crazy that M Alakazam FA is not centered perfectly! other than that awesome set... : )

In regards to Night March, I really don't think Carbink is going to help NM decks much at all. It doesn't protect the Special Energy, and against these decks you should be aiming to Knock Out your opponent rather than deny Energy. This set, while giving it Mew, does provide multiple counters including Grumpig, Barbacle, Rotom, Alakazam-EX, etc; while the past set has brought NM down a tier or two with Baby Yveltals, Trees and Fighting Spirit Belts, which makes a small life much more difficult.

Um... no. Carbink says this:
Ability: Energy Keeper
As long as this Pokemon is in play, your Basic Pokemon’s Basic Energy can’t be discarded by effects of your opponent’s attacks, Abilities, or Trainers.
This is too good for NM not to play at least 1 copy because 1 of the ways to attempt to beat NM is energy denial. With a way to literally stop any way to discard Special Energy for NM, don't you think that's OP for NM?

And as far as "counters" released in this set go, they're useless sorry to say. I'm not being hostile but the counters are way too specific and none of them are Basics which is huge. I know they're different types so different decks can use them but not every deck can fit them in. Every deck is pressed for space and I can't see anyone fitting in an inconsistent 1-1 line of Honchkrow. Even Standard Dark decks might not be able to because they need Umbreon. Barbacle might be good in Water decks or anything that can utilize Wally but that's it. Even Primal Kyogre is tight on space. While only time will tell, I think my predictions will be correct, at least most of them. Have I missed anything or aren't analyzing correctly?

Um... no. Carbink says this:
Ability: Energy Keeper
As long as this Pokemon is in play, your Basic Pokemon’s Basic Energy can’t be discarded by effects of your opponent’s attacks, Abilities, or Trainers.
This is too good for NM not to play at least 1 copy because 1 of the ways to attempt to beat NM is energy denial. With a way to literally stop any way to discard Special Energy for NM, don't you think that's OP for NM?

And as far as "counters" released in this set go, they're useless sorry to say. I'm not being hostile but the counters are way too specific and none of them are Basics which is huge. I know they're different types so different decks can use them but not every deck can fit them in. Every deck is pressed for space and I can't see anyone fitting in an inconsistent 1-1 line of Honchkrow. Even Standard Dark decks might not be able to because they need Umbreon. Barbacle might be good in Water decks or anything that can utilize Wally but that's it. Even Primal Kyogre is tight on space. While only time will tell, I think my predictions will be correct, at least most of them. Have I missed anything or aren't analyzing correctly?

Re-read the ability again, it says Basic Pokemon's basic energy. It does not stop your opponent from discarding special energy on your basic Pokemon such as Double Colorless. The only thing Carbink would be good for in NM is to stop energy denial on the basic metal or fire energy that people use to supplement the double colorless.

Back