Entei / Charizard-EX

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
Thought about making this deck, then I realized it auto-losses to Jolteon-EX from Generations (which I expect will see a fair bit of play). Will the new M Charizard-EX from generations be a must 1 of in this deck, assuming Jolteon does follow through with it's hype? Or what other techs are out there that can help the potential match-up?

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
Thought about making this deck, then I realized it auto-losses to Jolteon-EX from Generations (which I expect will see a fair bit of play). Will the new M Charizard-EX from generations be a must 1 of in this deck, assuming Jolteon does follow through with it's hype? Or what other techs are out there that can help the potential match-up?
Any auto-loss that can be solved will bring about an adaptation.
I am personally planning on using 1 or 2 megas from generations to make Jolteon-EX a sitting target. Despite it's "slowness", this is a speed deck so it can still afford to miss an attacking turn once in a while.

TrainerMa'am

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I have dropped playing with Entei and have been trialling Flareon Ex with Team Magma Numel and Camerupt.

I played Entei for months before and am really finding the Flareon/Camerupt a quicker harder hit.
Flareon can get up 190 damage with only one tool card and has a higher HP.

I have a rogue Charizzard and the new Mega Charizzard in the deck as well which have been great support attackrs when needed.

I don't think anyone believes me when I say I think it's a better deck than the Entei deck...

Edit : my online ranking in Austrlia went from roughly 70 over the last 3 months playing Entei to #20 after playing Flareon for 1 week in Standard Format

Last edited:

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I have dropped playing with Entei and have been trialling Flareon Ex with Team Magma Numel and Camerupt.

I played Entei for months before and am really finding the Flareon/Camerupt a quicker harder hit.
Flareon can get up 190 damage with only one tool card and has a higher HP.

I have a rogue Charizzard and the new Mega Charizzard in the deck as well which have been great support attackrs when needed.

I don't think anyone believes me when I say I think it's a better deck than the Entei deck...

Edit : my online ranking in Austrlia went from roughly 70 over the last 3 months playing Entei to #20 after playing Flareon for 1 week in Standard Format
I need to test it out once I actually have the cards to do so, but I believe you. I was already interested in the concept.

TrainerMa'am

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I need to test it out once I actually have the cards to do so, but I believe you. I was already interested in the concept.

What do you need? Actual cards or online cards

I am picking up the Celebi Box and Charizzard box today so I will have extra of both if you to trade or something... I am desparate that someone tries it so we can start really discussing it - lol!

PM me

BravoBoogie

Aspiring Trainer
What do you need? Actual cards or online cards

I am picking up the Celebi Box and Charizzard box today so I will have extra of both if you to trade or something... I am desparate that someone tries it so we can start really discussing it - lol!

PM me
I have been testing Flareon-Ex/Team magma camerupt aswell. I love to play it and I think it can stand it's ground in the standard format.
I am interested in seeing your list.

MadVillan

Aspiring Trainer
There is a Promo Ho-Oh and a Promo BREAK for it that has a FFCC Attack that hits for 160. That could the take the place of Charizard-EX

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
You're right, my bad. It may still be the best option to Jolteon though.
The hp wall effect charizard creates is very important to certain matchups. Mega charizard seems like the best option. The new one breaks the damage cap significantly. This is a speed deck so spirit link isn't necessarily vital.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I had some great success with mega charizard ex from generations. It breaks the damage barrier and takes Ohkos on mega manectrics. I had a 4-2-1 record at states due to an early unlucky pairing against the would be second place finisher. I battled mega manectric jolteon twice and won or tied due to time constraints. I would've won if we had more time, my hand was stellar.

TrainerMa'am

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I have been testing Flareon-Ex/Team magma camerupt aswell. I love to play it and I think it can stand it's ground in the standard format.
I am interested in seeing your list.

This it the deck I am currently trialling...
I am having fun with it online but I am not sure if it would hold up in a more formal compitition...

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 12

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
2 Charizard-EX FLF 100
1 M Charizard-EX GEN 12
3 Flareon-EX GEN 128
2 Team Magma's Numel DCR 1
2 Team Magma's Camerupt DCR 2

Trainer Cards - 39

2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
2 Lysandre AOR 78
3 Skyla BKP 122
2 Weakness Policy PRC 164
3 Blacksmith FLF 88
1 AZ PHF 117
2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
2 Enhanced Hammer PRC 162
3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
2 Startling Megaphone FLF 97
4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 105
3 VS Seeker ROS 110
2 Hex Maniac AOR 75
2 Muscle Band XY 121
1 Delinquent BKP 98
4 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

Energy - 9

8 Fire Energy XYEnergy 4
1 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I could possibly drop a battle compressor and add another vs seeker...

hitmonlee22

I need Mega Kingdra. NOW.
The hp wall effect charizard creates is very important to certain matchups. Mega charizard seems like the best option. The new one breaks the damage cap significantly. This is a speed deck so spirit link isn't necessarily vital.
However, if someone would prefer another counter, that doesn't make you lose a turn, what would it be?

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
However, if someone would prefer another counter, that doesn't make you lose a turn, what would it be?
Not if you want to remain competitive. Hooh break is the only solid alternate partner choice future but he's not great. You'll change your mind about mega charizard from generations when you Ohko your first mega manectric, belted toad or belted hooh ex with two heads and muscle band. I carry hex maniac for giratinas. This let me sweep through toad Tina quite effectively.

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
And why the Generations one instead of the Flashfire one?
200px-MCharizardEXFlashfire13.jpg

Sure it does 50 damage to itself, but you're not relying on a flip coin.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
And why the Generations one instead of the Flashfire one?
200px-MCharizardEXFlashfire13.jpg

Sure it does 50 damage to itself, but you're not relying on a flip coin.
That fifty damage allows mega manectric to setup a Jolteon EX knockout, potentially locking you out of the game again. Vitality is important right now, otherwise I'd agree.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
That fifty damage allows mega manectric to setup a Jolteon EX knockout, potentially locking you out of the game again. Vitality is important right now, otherwise I'd agree.
I would not agree in the first place. FLF M Charizard is almost laughably slow. It is pretty much impossible to set it up in one turn. The only thing you can do is Blacksmith to a base Charizard, DCE, and hopefully a Max Elixir goes through. Then you attach a Protection Cube, and Mega Evolve. Did you attack? No. No you didn't. Way too slow.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
I would not agree in the first place. FLF M Charizard is almost laughably slow. It is pretty much impossible to set it up in one turn. The only thing you can do is Blacksmith to a base Charizard, DCE, and hopefully a Max Elixir goes through. Then you attach a Protection Cube, and Mega Evolve. Did you attack? No. No you didn't. Way too slow.
It is not supposed to be fast. Also this guarantees a knockout on something trying to abuse max potion, super scoop up, etc. It's called "breaking the damage barrier". Entei and charizard ex cap at 170 for zero to hero damage. The mega charizard generations makes it possible to Ohko walls for the same four energies. In fact since its two turns, you can realistically conserve dce for other attackers or switching costs.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
It is not supposed to be fast. Also this guarantees a knockout on something trying to abuse max potion, super scoop up, etc. It's called "breaking the damage barrier". Entei and charizard ex cap at 170 for zero to hero damage. The mega charizard generations makes it possible to Ohko walls for the same four energies. In fact since its two turns, you can realistically conserve dce for other attackers or switching costs.
The FLF M Charizard has to be played quickly in order to be playable, which it truly isn't. Also, I never said GEN M Charizard was bad. If I did, I didn't mean it. It is a scary card but has to be played quickly and needs Trick Coin. Another thing-FLF M Charizard takes 5 not 4 energy to attack.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
The FLF M Charizard has to be played quickly in order to be playable, which it truly isn't. Also, I never said GEN M Charizard was bad. If I did, I didn't mean it. It is a scary card but has to be played quickly and needs Trick Coin. Another thing-FLF M Charizard takes 5 not 4 energy to attack.
The trick coin and the five seemed irrelevant in play testing. The damage to self seemed to be more of a problem. I prefer the flexibility of four so I can dodge the crushing hammer setbacks.