Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
lets see BW trainer that have been reprinted in XY so far...

potion, switch, pokeball, super scoop up, revive, full heal, energy switch, energy retrieval, crushing hammer, great ball, pokemon catcher, super rod, exp share, heavy ball, level ball, enhanced hammer, rare candy, ultra ball, Skyla, town map, escape rope, float stone. 22 in total, of which about 13 we see at least one copy of regularly in tier 1/2 decks.

course this doesn't add in professor juniper/sycamore and tierno/cheren which are same effect different card name which would put us effectively at 24. with this reveal we can also add back in devolution spray and N putting us at 26 semi/full reprints of trainers of which about half are used in top tier decks.

while I don't think a N reprint is crazy bad it's kind of lazy they could've easily gone the juniper/sycamore tierno/cheren route. also with shauna/birch/judge we already have a decent amount of shuffle draw supporters I'd rather have all new or ones that have been out of print for a while like bebe's search or felicity's drawing.

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions

potion, switch, pokeball, super scoop up, revive, full heal, energy switch, energy retrieval, crushing hammer, great ball, pokemon catcher, super rod, exp share, heavy ball, level ball, enhanced hammer, rare candy, ultra ball, Skyla, town map, escape rope, float stone. 22 in total, of which about 13 we see at least one copy of regularly in tier 1/2 decks.

course this doesn't add in professor juniper/sycamore and tierno/cheren which are same effect different card name which would put us effectively at 24. with this reveal we can also add back in devolution spray and N putting us at 26 semi/full reprints of trainers of which about half are used in top tier decks.

while I don't think a N reprint is crazy bad it's kind of lazy they could've easily gone the juniper/sycamore tierno/cheren route. also with shauna/birch/judge we already have a decent amount of shuffle draw supporters I'd rather have all new or ones that have been out of print for a while like bebe's search or felicity's drawing.

In all honesty though, you'll see more N being played more than anything else compared to Birch or Shauna now. Judge was only being used as a Tech but it'll probably drop off as well now too. The main issue I have with N is that it's not only an amazing draw card, but it can disrupt your opponent much more now than before due to decks being slower than the last few years.

orthusaku

Tired Trainer

Not all of those are BW era cards, I did a quick search and comparison and here is the list:

Potion - Base set
Switch - Base set
Pokeball - Base set
super scoop up - Neo Genesis
revive - base set (different wording)
full heal - base set (current wording epedition base set)
energy switch - Aquapolis
energy retrieval - base set (different wording)
crushing hammer - (black white era)
great ball - (EX FireRed & LeafGreen)
pokemon catcher - (black white era)
super rod - Neo Genesis
exp share - (black white era while exp.all was neo destiny)
heavy ball - (black white era)
level ball - (black white era)
enhanced hammer - (black white era)
rare candy - (EX Sandstorm)
ultra ball - (black white era)
skyla - (black white era)
town map - (black white era)
escape rope - (black white era)
float stone - (black white era)
juniper/sycamore - (base set with professor oak)

I'm honestly sick of seeing black and white supporters without new characters attached to them, N was initially released almost 5 years ago which is 1/4 of pokemon's timeline and has been in play for almost that long. Which is honestly absurd for a minor character from black and white.

Danglesmcjangles

Spice Master General
Well, subjective. There isn't anything wrong with the current draw, it's just slower than the previous format, but reprinting a card like N and thus putting the same draw effect in a format that is supposed to be fresh and different is just making the Standard format more and more the same as Expanded. Garbodor, Skyla, N, Float Stone, a "Rush In" effect, Darkrai-EX as Manaphy-EX, Virizion-EX as Palkia-EX, Blastoise as Magnezone, Flareon as Vespiquen, Mr Mime and the like all were prominent cards that helped defined the past BW eras.

My issue with N is because a) I don't feel like Standard is fresh anymore and b) N has nothing to do with XY.
This is strictly speculation, but maybe N will be involved with the new games somehow! That one building does look super fancy. Could be another castle!

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Little bit confused by the N reprint, I mean we're years past Black and White game-wise. At least we'll have another decent draw supporter though.

Actually hold on, do we know that the N is a reprint? It makes sense but there's a finger covering the card text.

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
Exact same card name on a trainer, means a guaranteed reprint no? Unless the nerf it like they did with pokemon catcher and retroactively nerf him in expanded too. But that's highly unlikely. I am getting a little sick of these reprints and I started at BW era. So I was enjoying a fresh interesting meta game. Now it's just gonna be some weird hybrid of BW trainers with XY pokemon. Meh.

Saarebas

Aspiring Trainer
I'm crying at how salty everyone is about N. I hope we get an N fullart now, although it is weird they're keeping him. They could have just remade the card effect with a different Gen 6 character (maybe Serena/Calem? Trevor? One of the Flare execs?). But whatever, I like N.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
N? Two More Cards away Hypno/Laser and Virbank. Toad will dominate!

They tried to shoot that commercial with Siesmitoad EX and Red Card, but it upset the producer because it took to long. He missed his lunch break.

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I'm more excited about N than Sun and Moon.

Maybe it's that I'm a Gen V Freak(The TCG and the games mind you), or there's something wrong with me. Either way...I love it. :D

Reggie McGigas

-
lol i just wanted to look back at this and the first commercial...oh my god its so crappy but at the same time it's making me laugh so hard and I don't know why.

Gunther Spindler

Aspiring Trainer
I'm really happy to see N reprint, it balances the game and can be used by the loosing player as a protection when he got 4 prizes left and the opponent with only 2 and the Lysandre/VS Seeker necessary in hand waiting for easy 2 prizes to close the game. Besides, it's really helpful to avoid a deckout too, by shuffling your entire hand and drawing only 2 cards (and makes the opponent do the same make it balanced).

On the other hand, that Mew will make Night March more powerful than ever, it's actually better than the old Mex-EX for it's free retreat, and it's HP can be raised to 90 with Fighting Fury Belt. 2 Mews with this tool will require 2 attacks of 90 damage, while Mew-EX used to require a single 120 damage's attack or 90+30 (Laserbank) or even less with Landorus/Bats damage. It also allow to leave a single Joltik in your bench and still have 5 attackers (4 Mew + and then the Joltik). Maybe run 2-3 Revive to secure that you will always have a Joltik or a ready Mew in your bench.

Yeah, I'm feeling forced to play NM as the strongest option again.

Clear

Birb is the Word
If they love the BW era so much they should just make it BW on for standard.

Now see, here is the problem. They like some of the stuff in BW, namely N, Skyla, Garbodor, Float Stone, and probably a few more things too.

What they know they don't like is, for example: stuff like Laser, Virbank, Mew ex. So with all of those they sort of "re-designed" it to be less of an issue. Mew ex into Mew, cause NM and weirdo Shedinja decks that uses the higher HP. Laser into Ariados, to make you work for the Poison damage, and they like to forget about Virbank.

Now, Night Marchers beware, as much good as this Mew is, remember that it will only last a few months, as you know for sure that Phantom Forces will be axed from standard, ridding standard from Night March. This is why there is that vague looking Dimensional Valley right next to N. Fates Collide will be the replacement for the Psychic set. If we see Mystery Energy, or some variant of a special Psychic, then I would be much more confident in this theory.