Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

That Mew has free retreat.... UH OH.

Also I can't wait to see the art for N, I love when they do new art for supporters instead of reusing the game/concept artwork

Oh my God, Standard finally has another good draw Supporter again! Too bad it's the "cheap comeback" Supporter that we've been used to since Noble Victories, way back in 2011.

About N being reprinted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

This has got to be the most depressing news I've seen in a long time. Now no hand will be safe once again. At least the Judge was tolerable, as most users played it as a tech... Bleah.

Not sure how to feel about the N reprint. PCL seems to have a very huge obsession with the BW era... Atleast the artwork is good.

Also, MEW HYPE.

OMG Basic Mew "EX" with free retreat! My Night Marchers are ready for this! Just reprint the Night March trio already, the only thing left to complete the combo.

Mew looks insane. Not just in Standard with Night March. Any Expanded attacker could benefit from this, such as Blastoise, which can now hit 170+ damage easily from a non-EX that doesn't even need the Psychic Energy that would normally clunk things up! The free retreat doesn't help the power creep either. :/

Also, the stale bread just got staler. :/

When N was first rotated, I jumped for joy. It was nice being able to plan a few turns in advance based on what was in my hand, and N-to-1's sucked a lot. But after a while, I kind of missed the times where I'd get shuffled out of bad hands during the first few turns of the game. N felt like a nice mutual setup card along the lines of HGSS Pichu. Personally, I'd rather lose from a late-game N than an early game dead draw because Judge or Birch left me with scraps to work with. I'll take the bad with the good!

Still... I think now that people have a taste of how not playing those early Ns can actually hurt your opponent, people might start running less of them instead of the full 4, and still use 1 or 2 Judge and/or Birch.

[EDIT] Alas, I still would have preferred to see Oak's New Theory again, or a new card with a one-sided N effect. That could be pretty balanced on its own, letting you draw big during the part of the game you need it most, and small during the part where you're closer to decking out.

Last edited:
As much as I hate to see N back, my deck can benefit from 4 of him over Sycamore since I no longer have to discard ANYTHING (and every card is important). Also I can remove Super Rod now.

tcg: *everything u h8 is coming back*
me:
ddf54ec40f6da516522c670a38d7e59e.jpg

Actual commentary, Genesect-EX as a metal type is real neato. Think it'd actually be more interesting if, instead of having synergy with Bronzong (as basically every metal type does thanks to Max Potion), it had synergy with, I dunno, Metagross? I thought about that sentence for like 4 minutes before realizing there are very few steel types in XY-era sets (FurFi has exactly 0).

Oh boy, another B&W trainer reprinted. What's next? Juniper? Virbank? Another Plasma set that reintroduces all Plasma trainers? Reprint Dark Patch? Reprint Iris? Reprint Bianca? I'm sure that Genesect is a semi-reprint of the previous one and this set will include a Cobalion-EX with the ability "Steel wind" and the attack "Silver Slash (M)(C) 50: Search your deck for 2 (M) energy and attach them to one of your benched Pokemon, shuffle your deck afterwards" of course I'm over-exaggerating, but dear tcpi, please stop with the reprints. We rotate for a reason.

I don't mind certain cards becoming generic reprints such as Ultra Ball, Professor's Letter, Furious Fists Eevee (No? Dang.), Juniper/Sycamore (Why not just call them Pokemon Professor and be done with it?), Switch of course, ya know - common stuff. But unhealthy things like Mewtwo in the form of Lugia, overpowered pokemon, and just really broken things should not be happening. I'm all for re-using Pokemon, but the TCG has a severe lack of variety I find. When the only low budget thing that WORKS is Night March and Night March MK-II then you've got a serious problem with your game.

Also a Power Creep in every set is extremely unnecessary. The TCG needs to calm down with that. I get it, TCG is fast paced - but no one should have to modify their deck with something new in every set simply because they need to keep up.

Last edited:
The thing that makes an N reprint even worse is that of the twelve Gym Leaders / Elite Four found in XY, nine still haven't been seen in card form.

If they were so intent on bringing back N, the least they could have done is put the effect on one of the many unused XY Leaders instead. Or heck, even Alexa, or Diantha, or Lisia from ORAS. Where the heck is Zinnia?!

Bringing back a character from last gen is completely unnecessary at this point.

YES! Hopefully we get another N full art! Also, why is nobody talking about the new holo pattern on Zygarde and Mew?

Everyone's complaining about an N reprint while I'm over here twiddling my thumbs and wondering why yet another Pokémon is getting a second EX (Genesect) and there's still no EX for Suicune or Gastrodon.

Ugh. I swear someone should be fired. BW was a bad format, just let it die already!

Everyone's complaining about an N reprint while I'm over here twiddling my thumbs and wondering why yet another Pokémon is getting a second EX (Genesect) and there's still no EX for Suicune or Gastrodon.

Hey, I'm still waiting for my Pidgeot EX and m-Pidgeot EX.

That mew is an absolute mess. idk how i feel about N either., and that Genesect with a 3 energy attack and ability is setting off my PTSD. if we see anything even vaguely representing virbank im gone forever

Please stawp it. I don't play Expanded for a reason, I literally hated BW era... and now bang, N comes into Standard. It's like the 100th reprint of this freaking cancer card, it's a very heavy burden. It's like when your ex-girlfriend fall into your life again, and again, and again. Boring and depressing.

Long live the night march. That new mew is gonna cause problems... and also, why N ;-; But the N artwork looks pretty sweet.

Back