Magiana Revealed in 'CoroCoro!'

Apterous

Aspiring Trainer
Agree, Steel / Fairy seems likely, hopefully with Levitate (wishful thinking, after seeing so many Earthquakes decimate my Mega Mawile). What is the big secret that Volcanion knows? Probably that someone watched the new Star Wars movie and decided they needed to make a new cute pokemon inspired by BB-8, with a head on top of a ball.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Now we're talking. The reveal of a brand new Pokemon at this point in the generation means one of three things: either they're skipping to 7th gen, they're going back to teasing next gen Pokemon well before they're ready to announce the new generation, or Gen 6.5 is actually a thing. I'm leaning more towards Gen 6.5, because it match a lot of what they're doing this generation as well as the unusual marketing period. Hoping that's actually what's going on, this next game could be very interesting.

Magiana itself looks pretty neat, it's obviously a Steel type, but is it pure Steel or a dual type? I'm guessing Steel/Fairy.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I Don't understand why people keep saying Gen 6,5???!!
TPCi has never split up generations....

We know there's going to be new Pokemon now, but at the same time it seems unlikely that they're going to skip Z because of what's going on with Zygarde. So for a new Pokemon to show up in Z (or whatever the next Kalos game is called) points to Gen 6.5. The only other possibility is they're doing what they did before 5th gen and showing off Gen 7 Pokemon before they're even ready to promote the Gen 7 games, but because of the nature of the internet and how we hype things up immediately after they're shown, I don't see much reason to do that.

Even before today though, there's been a lot of other little hints that this could happen:

-The low number of new Pokemon. 72 is the lowest amount of Pokemon we've ever had in a generation, leaving open the possibility of an expansion.
-The National Dex can be completed between XY and ORAS. What reason would they have to do this if there's another Gen 6 game coming?
-ORAS introducing new Mega Evolutions. ORAS played around with game compatibility and changed our expectations for mid gen games.
-Masuda's comments about wanting to surprise people. He mentioned in an interview on ORAS (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/)that he likes to surprise the fans, referencing how people expected Gray to come after Black and White but we got Black 2 and White 2 instead. New Pokemon in the middle of a generation would certainly surprise people, I don't think many people could be expecting that.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I think Magiana will be Fairy/Steel. Its body looks like something mechanical; something easily hand-made as previously explained.

It looks like a pretty interesting-looking Pokemon.

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
Now we're talking. The reveal of a brand new Pokemon at this point in the generation means one of three things: either they're skipping to 7th gen, they're going back to teasing next gen Pokemon well before they're ready to announce the new generation, or Gen 6.5 is actually a thing. I'm leaning more towards Gen 6.5, because it match a lot of what they're doing this generation as well as the unusual marketing period. Hoping that's actually what's going on, this next game could be very interesting.

Magiana itself looks pretty neat, it's obviously a Steel type, but is it pure Steel or a dual type? I'm guessing Steel/Fairy.

I agree with your post. That said, a question just popped up in my head. If this happens to be a Gen 6.5 thing with new Pokemon (as to complete the Kalos-only dex) and there's also guesses about a southern half of Kalos, (new region perhaps) would this other half showcase new starter Pokémon too, or just go with the ones from Northern Kalos, that is if the whole southern thing actually holds up....?

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, it's definitely part-Steel, most likely Steel/Fairy
Yes, although it is a nice pokémon, it looks like Diancie and Klink had a baby at the PokéBall factory...
Yes, based on the lore provived by CoroCoro, I also think it was likely an attempt of someone to create their own Diancie, since it is a mythical pokémon, therefore hard to get... and if you consider what happens when you get a Diancie in the games, always some people asking you to give them their Diancie for their master or whatever, there's someone with a strong desire to get a Diancie at any cost, even though they also say it was created 500 years ago...

No, I still don't get what they're tryin' to achieve this generation... Will there be a game focused on Zygarde after all (I'm not even calling it Z anymore)? Are they skipping to next gen and renegading Zygarde? If there's indeed a new game still based on Kalos (specially because there's still a lot of unresolved things, other than Zygarde) but with new pokémon (or Gen 6.5 like people are calling it), are they abandoning the concept of generations and introducing new pokémon in every new main series game that is not a remake?

This is all very weird...

Mitja

veteran smartass
A new Pokémon! :D

It's interesting to say the least.
The first bits about its backstory as well (supposedly built by humans 500 years ago, alrighttt).

Design-wise, I immediately noticed that the "ears" fit exactly the missing bottom of the sphere. Which to me implies that this Pokemon can "close up" into a perfect ball-shape....which will then look undeniably like a special Pokeball.
Is it supposed to catch something too big for normal pokeballs? Is it its own pokeball?? Who knows.

To all the people speculating about its type, I wanna point out that the name Magiana is probably NOT derived from "magic".
The MA-GI-A-NA.
The GI-katakana is stuck in my head ever since I've seen Klinklangs japanese name ギギギアル=GIGIGIARU, due to it being repeated 3 times xD
Taking Klink-line name and the new movie title "Volcanion and the Exquisite Mechanical Magiana" into consideration, my guess about its name origin is:
MA=machine
GIA=gear
-NA

So, for now I'm betting on pure Steel-type. (unless machine typü confirmd!!!11 jk)

Now.... as for the big question everyone is wondering about: "What does it mean for the franchise?"
Since a new Pokemon implies a new generation. Which sounds conflicting with the current situation, where we are still eagerly waiting for a XY-sequel announcement to close generation 6.

But let me remind you, it would not be the first time that a "next generation"-Pokemon was revealed before the final main-game of the "current-generation" was even announced:
Munchlax - revealed in May 2004 (more than 2 years before Diamond&Pearl)
Pokemon Emerald Version - announced June 2004 in Corocoro magazine.

So unless specific news show up that say "XY-sequels will feature a bunch of new Pokemon" I'm sticking with "just very early reveal of a Pokemon"

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I agree with your post. That said, a question just popped up in my head. If this happens to be a Gen 6.5 thing with new Pokemon (as to complete the Kalos-only dex) and there's also guesses about a southern half of Kalos, (new region perhaps) would this other half showcase new starter Pokémon too, or just go with the ones from Northern Kalos, that is if the whole southern thing actually holds up....?

I would guess that the new batch would complement the existing batch of Gen 6 Pokemon. So no new starters, no new mascots, etc.

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
Design-wise, I immediately noticed that the "ears" fit exactly the missing bottom of the sphere. Which to me implies that this Pokemon can "close up" into a perfect ball-shape....which will then look undeniably like a special Pokeball.
If that's the case, it makes me think of the old PokeBall that Samuel used in Pokemon 4 Ever. Maybe it's just the coloring, but the gear-stuff made me picture it, too (because the old PokeBall was opened with a rotating gear-shaped thing.)

Mitja

veteran smartass
I would guess that the new batch would complement the existing batch of Gen 6 Pokemon. So no new starters, no new mascots, etc.

well hopefully. With generations that have below 100 pokemon then becoming a common thing, a new set of starters would finally be oversaturation of the concept... I don't want 1/6 of every new generation to be starters lol. (unless it would be different main types for every other turn)

Darkpoison64

Aspiring Trainer
another man made pokemon as team rocket did not learn their lesson when mewtwo blew up their factory! team flare will probably not be able to control their creation as well...

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
This is definitely the Lucario/Zoroark of gen 7. They've usually showcased a Pokemon from the next generation in the last Pokemon movie of the current generation, and this is probably no different. Now the real question is whether Magiana is a mythical Pokemon (ala Manaphy) or is just another Lucario/Zoroark case.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
This is definitely the Lucario/Zoroark of gen 7. They've usually showcased a Pokemon from the next generation in the last Pokemon movie of the current generation, and this is probably no different. Now the real question is whether Magiana is a mythical Pokemon (ala Manaphy) or is just another Lucario/Zoroark case.

CoroCoro specifically refers to it as a mythical Pokemon.

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
Alright. Makes sense. Especially seeing as new mascots as well new starters are always about detailing a new region, and we have yet to get a third/final game for the Kalos region before moving on to Gen 7. On top of that, I'm in the camp with those telling that this is going to be a Gen 6.5 situation, something yet not done before.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
A friend showed me this before I read the article, and my mind INSTANTLY clicked onto 'Mecha Diancie'. I mean that's just uncanny.