Collecting How Much do You Spend on Pokémon?

I'm careful. I like to RH my decks out but don't go FA or Gold with anything, so normally I like to trade off or sell those cards to make money. I then use that money to buy RA EXs and RH of the Trainers I want.

The money I spend is based on the upcoming set. I test, test, and test before I buy singles - I never purchase packs unless I'm feeling lucky. Which is seldom. I have yet to open an actual booster box (I've won 18 at events so many times...just not the allusive 36) because I don't feel I can justify dropping that much money on cards. The biggest purchase (per card) I've made in a while was at Nats when I bought a 1st Edition Shining Gyarados at $35, but I don't see myself spending more than that anytime soon.

Often times I'll wait for hype to die down after a new set is released because cards are more expensive then. It helps my poor college student wallet out haha.

I think of it like this.

If I was a ballet dancer, or a Football player, I'd be spending however much on clothes and lessons and equipment and travelling, etc etc. Seeing as Pokemon is my hobby, and I have a job, I feel justified in spending what I would spend on those hobbies on this game.

Plus, my Golden Ultra Balls will be worth a lot more in 3 years than a set of Nikes

i usually save up and then spend it all in one go since i like collecting PSA cards and some are pricey. I do this in case a seller has multiple cards that i want and at times it means a nice little discount too :)

But now and again i will spend a little every week or so on one or two cards that i need.

I buy a booster box with each release and a few boosters here and there if the pull rate from a release was good.
I will also buy promotional boxes if the cards excite me.
I have a bit of a myths, legends and dragons fetish :oops:

I think 2016 is going to hurt...

Last edited:
I'm actually not quite sure. So I think that this year, I'll keep editing my post to add up all the Pokémon merchandise I'll be buying this year. I think most of it will go to the TCG, though, I really want to get some of the video games for my New Nintendo 3DS, now I got one. :D
But, I do always buy the complete boxes of DVD seasons when Mighty Ape releases them, but that's most likely 1-2 times a year..

Spend on Pokémon in 2016: €60,-
~ Elite Trainer Box BREAKpoint
~ BREAKpoint Theme Deck Electric Eye
~ BREAKpoint Theme Deck Wave Slasher

I know it's not Pokémon related, but TCG, and I really want to keep up with the money I'm spending on Weiß Schwarz..so, if you guys don't mind...:oops:
Spend on Weiß Schwarz in 2016: €43,76
~ Bakemonogatari Trial Deck - EN
~ The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Trial Deck - EN

Last edited:
Last year I bought four elite trainer boxes, so that alone is $120... I don't buy packs too often but I do remember getting a few blisters (mainly for the pins xD) so that was like $44. Oh, I did buy two secret rare M Charizard X's for $20 each at worlds. And at some point I did buy a Xerneas tin so that's $15. I think that was it xD so total would be $219 but I'm probably forgetting stuff so let's bump that up to $260 or so xD so that averages out to around 20 bucks a month on pokemon.

So far this year I bought two blisters so $22 bucks so far *^* so I figure if they are gonna release a Mythical pokemon box every month and buy some elite boxes I am guessing i'll probably spend around $300 this year maybe? most likely more if I buy singles *^* we will see xD

I don't spend a lot,usually I get cards at pre-release, but then I pay for tournaments/league, and also plushies, so at least £400-600

I spend too much. I get at least 1 booster box for every set, so that's $70-90 every three months (depending on how early I preorder it). I buy two to three packs every time I go out pretty much. I generally like to complete a set via pack pulls instead of buying singles, so that raises the costs a bit, though I generally only try to complete base sets (DP base, BW base, XY base, etc.) and mini-sets like Dragon Vault, Double Crisis, etc.

As far as storing costs, my local card shop has boxes and sleeves and cases for really cheap (like half the price of Amazon, sometimes cheaper), so that doesn't break me too badly.

I've probably spent more than $2500 on card packs, booster boxes, sleeves and single cards. But when I was little I probably had $3000 worth of cards. I gave most of them to my friend who was in a very bad car crash. Even a 1st edition Charizard.

At first I did like everyone else and was spending a ton of money like $50-$60 every week to 2 weeks. Currently I'm just buying singles I need to build decks, Paying for pre releases, and buying promo blisters/tins/boxes. I really like to collect the promo's so the packs that come with them are never too bad, plus I like the pin packs as well! I did also just get back into the TCG scene of pokemon in the past year so I had tonsssss of catching up to do!

Haven't been purchasing for a while, but have gotten back into the game recently. Realized that I better hoard before prices skyrocket.

My budget this year is around 1200$, more than enough considering I don't have a job.

I just buy mostly Dollar Tree packs, maybe $20-30 per week on those. Other than that, I buy one Elite trainer box each expansion, and I am planning on buying one of the Mythical boxes each month this year. I would like to keep up with the box/tin schedule this year and buy one of each.

I find these infernal cards a bit too much like crack. I've picked up 9 booster boxes in the last 2 months :( Couple good pulls (Shaymin EX, baby!) but I don't think I'm going to keep the pace up, as I'm drowning under a sea of useless commons. Getting singles around my parts (far eastern Canada) isn't so easy though. Guess I'm going to have to try and find a decent EBay seller or two. Anyone know some reliable ones?

I find these infernal cards a bit too much like crack. I've picked up 9 booster boxes in the last 2 months :( Couple good pulls (Shaymin EX, baby!) but I don't think I'm going to keep the pace up, as I'm drowning under a sea of useless commons. Getting singles around my parts (far eastern Canada) isn't so easy though. Guess I'm going to have to try and find a decent EBay seller or two. Anyone know some reliable ones?

I know this site is partnered with tcgplayer.com, they are an option for singles. Also troll and toad has $2.99 canadian shipping on orders over $25, they might be cheaper as the shipping on tcgplayer is charged separately for each vendor you are buying from so it can add up. I haven't used either service myself yet, but I will be ordering singles soon as I am taking inventory of what I have and what I need to complete a deck that can compete.

I know this site is partnered with tcgplayer.com, they are an option for singles. Also troll and toad has $2.99 canadian shipping on orders over $25, they might be cheaper as the shipping on tcgplayer is charged separately for each vendor you are buying from so it can add up. I haven't used either service myself yet, but I will be ordering singles soon as I am taking inventory of what I have and what I need to complete a deck that can compete.

The canadian dollar is such at the moment that it's quite brutal to order much of anything. 35% on top of the sticker price is a bitter pill indeed. It's not all bad though; I've gotten two Gyarados EX secret rates from two separate BreakPoint boxes (though only one Golduck BREAK, which is what I actually want :))

The canadian dollar is such at the moment that it's quite brutal to order much of anything. 35% on top of the sticker price is a bitter pill indeed. It's not all bad though; I've gotten two Gyarados EX secret rates from two separate BreakPoint boxes (though only one Golduck BREAK, which is what I actually want :))
First set of orders is inbound now from Troll and Toad. The card prices seem fairly reasonable for singles; even with the Canadian Peso being what it is, it's still better than the local singles shop.

I try to be frugal but my GF likes cracking boosters - which are totally inefficient! They are expensive here (£4 a go) and the last 2 expansions haven't really got a lot going for them unless you get MEGA EXceptionally lucky :p

I try to be frugal but my GF likes cracking boosters - which are totally inefficient! They are expensive here (£4 a go) and the last 2 expansions haven't really got a lot going for them unless you get MEGA EXceptionally lucky :p

If you (or your girlfriend, in this case) prefer opening boosters, you might be better off saving and getting a booster box rather than buying individual packs whenever the desire strikes. Boosters here usually cost €4,50 or so, but €120 for a booster box brings the price-per-pack down to €3,33. It's a pretty significant savings.

If you (or your girlfriend, in this case) prefer opening boosters, you might be better off saving and getting a booster box rather than buying individual packs whenever the desire strikes. Boosters here usually cost €4,50 or so, but €120 for a booster box brings the price-per-pack down to €3,33. It's a pretty significant savings.

*I* realise that- believe me after 18 years of Tragic the Wallething, I realise that!! I did suggest that to her today which went down well. :)

Back