When Will the EX Pokémon Era End?

voidLop

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, I wanted to discuss today, when do you guys think TPCi will move on to the next "thing" for the pokemon tcg. We have had EXs dominate the meta for about 3 years now. The meta is dominated by big basics and fast damage. And I personally have found it stale pretty quick, but that's just me what do you guys think?

Last edited:
It's actually kind of interesting if you compare Pokémon-EX to previous higher-powered Pokémon gimmicks.

(For the sake of ease, I'm using English sets for the comparison point here.)

Shining and Crystal Pokémon are probably the first instance of this, though neither lasted particularly long. Shining Pokémon were used for a whopping 4 sets during the Neo era and were replaced with Crystal Pokémon for the rather short-lived e-series (3 sets). Together they lasted for all 7 sets of the TCG cards released during the 2nd generation of Pokémon main series games.

The first long-term improved Pokémon gimmick were "Pokémon ex" (specifically lowercase). These cards lasted through the entirety of the EX era, which means they were in all sets for the 3rd generation, a total of 16 sets. "Pokémon ☆" were introduced about halfway through the EX era in the EX Team Rocket Returns set and stuck around for a total of 10 sets.

For 4th gen, Pokémon ex and Pokémon ☆ were more or less replaced with the concept of "Lv.X Pokémon". Lv.X Pokémon started with the advent of the Diamond and Pearl set and lasted through the DPPt portion of 4th gen, a total of 11 sets. When the HGSS block was printed, they switched to Pokémon Prime and Pokémon LEGEND which only stuck around for the 4 sets of the HGSS series (CoL being something of an interim pre-5th gen series that was mostly reprints).

The BW series of Pokémon cards did not start with the "Pokémon-EX" gimmick right away. The first 3 sets contained only regular Pokémon (made up of the first 2 Japanese sets and a bunch of starter/promo cards), and EXes did not appear until the 4th set, Next Destinies. However, they were printed through the rest of the 5th generation and continued on into 6th gen with the advent of XY cards and the introduction of "M Pokémon-EX". Including the upcoming BREAKpoint, Pokémon-EX will have been printed in 17 sets, and there's no end in sight yet.

With BREAKpoint, Pokémon-EX will have lasted than any other previous gimmick, knocking down the previous record holder of the lowercase Pokémon ex. We also know that Pokémon-EX will last at least one more set, too, since we have evidence of Umbreon-EX being printed in Japan's XY10. Pokémon EX are also the only gimmick to span multiple generations, since each previous new generation has instituted a new mechanic.

Technically speaking 6th Gen did at least tweak the EX format with the introduction of non-Legendary EXes (which started as a preview in Legendary Treasures which was a sort of bridge-gap set) and also M Pokémon-EX to reflect the new Mega Pokémon mechanic, but the core EX mechanic itself has remained unchanged, and non-Mega EX Pokémon are still getting printed.

Personally, I think we're probably stuck with EXes until at least 7th gen. We've already gotten our remake for 6th gen and it resulted in a mini-set instead of a mechanic swap like HGSS did. Also, they're likely going to want to get a card for every Mega Pokémon in this format while it exists, which means we need at least a few more sets done.

Now the only hope is that they actually DO swap to a different mechanic in 7th gen instead of keeping EXes around even longer...

It's actually kind of interesting if you compare Pokémon-EX to previous higher-powered Pokémon gimmicks.

(For the sake of ease, I'm using English sets for the comparison point here.)

Shining and Crystal Pokémon are probably the first instance of this, though neither lasted particularly long. Shining Pokémon were used for a whopping 4 sets during the Neo era and were replaced with Crystal Pokémon for the rather short-lived e-series (3 sets). Together they lasted for all 7 sets of the TCG cards released during the 2nd generation of Pokémon main series games.

The first long-term improved Pokémon gimmick were "Pokémon ex" (specifically lowercase). These cards lasted through the entirety of the EX era, which means they were in all sets for the 3rd generation, a total of 16 sets. "Pokémon ☆" were introduced about halfway through the EX era in the EX Team Rocket Returns set and stuck around for a total of 10 sets.

For 4th gen, Pokémon ex and Pokémon ☆ were more or less replaced with the concept of "Lv.X Pokémon". Lv.X Pokémon started with the advent of the Diamond and Pearl set and lasted through the DPPt portion of 4th gen, a total of 11 sets. When the HGSS block was printed, they switched to Pokémon Prime and Pokémon LEGEND which only stuck around for the 4 sets of the HGSS series (CoL being something of an interim pre-5th gen series that was mostly reprints).

The BW series of Pokémon cards did not start with the "Pokémon-EX" gimmick right away. The first 3 sets contained only regular Pokémon (made up of the first 2 Japanese sets and a bunch of starter/promo cards), and EXes did not appear until the 4th set, Next Destinies. However, they were printed through the rest of the 5th generation and continued on into 6th gen with the advent of XY cards and the introduction of "M Pokémon-EX". Including the upcoming BREAKpoint, Pokémon-EX will have been printed in 17 sets, and there's no end in sight yet.

With BREAKpoint, Pokémon-EX will have lasted than any other previous gimmick, knocking down the previous record holder of the lowercase Pokémon ex. We also know that Pokémon-EX will last at least one more set, too, since we have evidence of Umbreon-EX being printed in Japan's XY10. Pokémon EX are also the only gimmick to span multiple generations, since each previous new generation has instituted a new mechanic.

Technically speaking 6th Gen did at least tweak the EX format with the introduction of non-Legendary EXes (which started as a preview in Legendary Treasures which was a sort of bridge-gap set) and also M Pokémon-EX to reflect the new Mega Pokémon mechanic, but the core EX mechanic itself has remained unchanged, and non-Mega EX Pokémon are still getting printed.

Personally, I think we're probably stuck with EXes until at least 7th gen. We've already gotten our remake for 6th gen and it resulted in a mini-set instead of a mechanic swap like HGSS did. Also, they're likely going to want to get a card for every Mega Pokémon in this format while it exists, which means we need at least a few more sets done.

Now the only hope is that they actually DO swap to a different mechanic in 7th gen instead of keeping EXes around even longer...

Thanks a lot! I didnt play the tcg before EX's sadly, but this was really helpful and a cool brief look into the history of some of the pokemon tcg.

The terrible thing about this is that Pokemon-EX will continue to turn the format into cancer long after they stop printing them. Even assuming that XY10 is the last set, it's going to take two to three years for XY10's English equivalent to rotate. This will all but ensure that whatever the next gimmick is will be competitively useless until that happens.

This will all but ensure that whatever the next gimmick is will be competitively useless until that happens.

Unless the next gimmick is even more powerful than Pokémon-EX. Just picture that for a moment.

Power creep happens all the time, so that's not too hard to believe. Who knows? Maybe the reason they've stayed around so long is because TPCI feels like they are healthy for the format, which, to be fair, is true. I'm just salty a lil bit :<

Pokémon-EX aren't just a gimmick, they are a mechanic, and I really hope it is not abandoned. I do find the format feels... stale? Improperly balanced? Frustrating. That isn't the fault of Pokémon-EX though; it is just the-powers-that-be realizing people will settle for such a thing and keep buying product. =/ If you just need a "new gimmick" to forget the current issues, you'll experience them again only with said new gimmick.

If anyone on reading this thread believes that Pokémon-EX are inherently "broken", it is a common assumption but it is a mistaken one. No really, I can prove it. The basic idea is that you have a card that is more powerful than normal, but is worth two Prizes instead of one when KOed. Nothing about that Basic concept is "broken", just like the mechanic of a Trainer that you can only use once per turn but which has a more powerful effect is not inherently broken, but we still got a something like Lysandre's Trump Card.

All the things that make people believe Pokémon-EX (the mechanic, not individual cards) are a balance issue is seen across the board in other Pokémon. If you were playing immediately before Pokémon-EX were released, the metagame was dominated by big, Basic Pokémon like the original Zekrom from Black & White. No, it isn't just because it was a big, Basic Pokémon with good attacks, it was specifically because it had access to Energy acceleration; prior to the rotation of the HS-block of sets (also prior to being unable to attack Turn 1) it was the main attacker of a deck that unleashed 120 damage attacks first turn. Even after losing that trick, it was a sturdy attacker.

Before that with Pokémon Prime, specifically the Stage 1 versions, took over. "Prime" wasn't an in game mechanic but basically a new rarity and in hindsight was basically a set about halfway between the "old" power level and the "new" power level of cards. Before that it was crazy and I'm not entirely sure what was good (I was mostly AWOL during that time). We had nasty things like Sabledonk to deal with and by that point it was clear that something had gone wrong (namely we hadn't rotated sets like we really ought to have). Before that I think Level Up cards were in ascendance. Before that it was Evolutions. Before that specifically Stage 2 attackers, etc.

The problem is the powers-that-be either don't know how to balance out things like Stages, Types and even win strategies, aren't very good at it or else aren't motivated enough to try because it won't hurt sales enough. =/

I don't play so I don't really have an opinion on EXes from a mechanical perspective, but I do think they've overstayed their welcome simply compared to the relative lengths of other similar mechanics and I would like to see PCL try something new again the way they have at other generational crossings.

Lets just wait a bit until we hear more about 7, I',m really curious what will be next.

But I think that Ex-pokemon will hold in gen7, They have already survived for years, so probably again

I don't play so I don't really have an opinion on EXes from a mechanical perspective, but I do think they've overstayed their welcome simply compared to the relative lengths of other similar mechanics and I would like to see PCL try something new again the way they have at other generational crossings.

I haven't collected in years and even when I did I was also a player. It is unfortunate if they are boring collectors but I'm not sure why that would be (as compared to anything boring collectors). The only truly similar mechanic has been the similarly long-lived Pokémon-ex. Pokémon worth more than one Prize isn't quite the stretch of mechanics as stuff-that-doesn't-Evolve-now-sort-of-do (Level Up cards, BREAK Evolutions), Pokémon with "owners", etc. and those are the longer lasting ones. I almost see it as similar to "Baby" Pokémon in terms of mechanics that aren't essential to core gameplay but which aren't too far removed from it.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if Pokémon-EX were abandoned, but with Mega Evolution being tied into it I doubt we'll see them leave the game anytime soon. Unless we were fortunate and Mega Evolutions were axed from the video games.

As a collector I hope they continue as long as there are Pokémon to make full arts of, at the very least every gen 1 pokemon.

I mean I don't mind if they change the name, as long as they are still full art and textured. and not sideways or gold plated.

To be honest, having played the Pokemon TCG on and off all my life, I have to say I hope they never abandon the EX mechanic. As I feel the TCG has really reached an incredible peak of play-ability. You have all these new players entering into the TCG, with a great wealth of cards to really build a competitive deck. To really build an intelligent deck to take down cards like EX's and such. Some of the worst mechanics I've seen we're the lengthy Pokemon Prime and Legend cards. That we're so incredibly drawn out just to make it work. You can really make great decks with EX cards, and make them work for you. Sure there are deck formats that are just inherently good, but I think what's great about this mechanic is there is an incredible amount of cards to counter peoples strategies. To be honest all ya'll sound hella salty about EXs. The game now is the most fun it has ever been through out the span of it's existence and I personally hope it doesnt change. I've been thinking about this a lot as I recently got back into it, and the expanded format is so incredible. There are so many cool decks, and smart kids really trying cool interesting things with decks. It's also really cool, because you can build specific decks to a pokemon that YOU like. For the most part there are a ton of pokemon that are good cards. And half the fun is making a deck work with a pokemon you love. I really hope it stays this way for awhile. I'd honestly hate to see the game change now. There is so much more incredible art too for the cards and creative designs then there was before.

It feels like they want Pokemon EX as much an element to the game as supporters, trainers, and energy. Eventually the majority of Pokemon TCG sets will be with EX. A format without EX would be exciting, but I just can't see them removing such an easy draw. Collectors like them, new players want them, and veteran players certainly aren't against playing with them.

HGSS-NVI was the last non-EX format we had. It was a lot of fun.

The thing I sorta miss is the lack of strategic evolving of Pokemon. Granted, someone needs to be pretty good at what they do if they are to make a competitive evolution deck, but I wish it wasn't that difficult. With Mega-Evolutions in particular, I honestly feel like its getting to that same old repetitive attack - 120 damage for low energy, or 240 damage for high energy, with some random, bland effect. It may just be me, but it seems like the creativity has been declining especially in EXs throughout the new BREAK sub-era.

I respectfully disagree. I feel like it takes more strategy than ever. The EX mechanic has made the game incredibly competitive and incredibly creative to counter them. For instance the most recent expansion has really made some great evolution cards to play to take down EXs with no problems.

The thing I sorta miss is the lack of strategic evolving of Pokemon. Granted, someone needs to be pretty good at what they do if they are to make a competitive evolution deck, but I wish it wasn't that difficult. With Mega-Evolutions in particular, I honestly feel like its getting to that same old repetitive attack - 120 damage for low energy, or 240 damage for high energy, with some random, bland effect. It may just be me, but it seems like the creativity has been declining especially in EXs throughout the new BREAK sub-era.

Yup... but this isn't because of Pokémon-EX, it is because of questionable game design and that fact that most people don't seem to mind so why change what works? I mean, besides trying to make the best product you can.

Reading through some of the comments I remembered what Pokémon-EX are good for: representing the most potent critters from the actual video games. Unfortunately they were tied into Mega Evolution and even before that, someone decided "Hey, let us just start making anything into a Pokémon-EX!". During all but the tell end of the BW-era, Pokémon-EX were based on "legendary" Pokémon, Pokémon that are typically much more potent but also once per game in video games. Making one of those be worth two Prizes could justify its strength relative to other cards.

Now that doesn't excuse the Pokémon-EX I believe to be overpowered. The game has a serious pacing and balance issue with the two being related. Evolutions are so difficult and unrewarding (most of the time) not because they take more time, not because they require more cards but because the powers-that-be aren't willing to accept that and design accordingly. We've gotten a taste of how I believe it ought to be, with Evolving Basics being useful for early game opening and (if present) Evolving Stage 1 cards offering a useful Ability to help them be somewhere between a strong Item and a niche Supporter. Even if nothing else I think needs to change happened, these should still improve the overall game (assuming the-powers-that-be doesn't suddenly make them overpowering).

I respectfully disagree. I feel like it takes more strategy than ever. The EX mechanic has made the game incredibly competitive and incredibly creative to counter them. For instance the most recent expansion has really made some great evolution cards to play to take down EXs with no problems.

For what it is worth I believe certain strategies have been elevated while others have been downplayed or possibly totally absent, but the biggest problem comes from cards that increase the "luck" factor too much. These aren't a huge issue all the time, but they add up. The extreme example is easy because even the-powers-that-be acknowledged that "they done goofed!": Lysandre's Trump Card in a format with Seismitoad-EX, Shaymin-EX (ROS), miscellaneous other support and so many "tails fails" cards that you could spam up to eight times in a single turn so that odds of all failing were nice and low.

It doesn't feel good when you lose because your opponent makes their Hypnotoxic Laser flip while you fail the Sleep check, when they get that clutch Super Scoop Up, etc. Honestly it no longer feels all that great to win in such a manner, either. =/ Cards like N aren't much better; it is really hard to feel like I "deserve" the win (let alone the loss) when there really have been no misplays, one player just drew dead because it was nigh impossible not to in a given situation.

None of which means skill is absent in the game. It just stinks when all that skill means nothing because someone got the lucky draw/coin flip/whatever. I know because not only has that happened to me... I've done it to plenty of other players. Players far, far better than myself with decks far, far better than mine who played far, far better than I did. ;)

Last edited:
Yup... but this isn't because of Pokémon-EX, it is because of questionable game design and that fact that most people don't seem to mind so why change what works? I mean, besides trying to make the best product you can.
That doesn't make me not disappointed, y'know...

Reading through some of the comments I remembered what Pokémon-EX are good for: representing the most potent critters from the actual video games. Unfortunately they were tied into Mega Evolution and even before that, someone decided "Hey, let us just start making anything into a Pokémon-EX!". During all but the tell end of the BW-era, Pokémon-EX were based on "legendary" Pokémon, Pokémon that are typically much more potent but also once per game in video games. Making one of those be worth two Prizes could justify its strength relative to other cards.
I'm sure I don't need TCPi's assistance to show me which critters are most potent canonically, so I wouldn't say that's a good thing.

Now that doesn't excuse the Pokémon-EX I believe to be overpowered. The game has a serious pacing and balance issue with the two being related. Evolutions are so difficult and unrewarding (most of the time) not because they take more time, not because they require more cards but because the powers-that-be aren't willing to accept that and design accordingly. We've gotten a taste of how I believe it ought to be, with Evolving Basics being useful for early game opening and (if present) Evolving Stage 1 cards offering a useful Ability to help them be somewhere between a strong Item and a niche Supporter. Even if nothing else I think needs to change happened, these should still improve the overall game (assuming the-powers-that-be doesn't suddenly make them overpowering).
Agreed.

I'm sure I don't need TCPi's assistance to show me which critters are most potent canonically, so I wouldn't say that's a good thing.

I think there was a misunderstanding: the idea is that the-powers-that-be can take the Pokémon that are supposed to be blatantly potent and make them that way without automatically breaking the game. I haven't paid attention to the video games in a while, but did GameFreak finally start balancing out legendary Pokémon in the video games? Legendary Pokémon often have better stats (both individual scores and the collective amount) than other Pokémon, coupled by good move pools, Abilities or both. Accurately translating that to the TCG without a mechanic like being a Pokémon-EX would give you more or less the same cards you're getting as Pokémon-EX... but as regular Basics. =P

When canonically in the source material something is overpowered, the choice is to find another way to balance it out or to present only a nerfed counterpart in the TCG.

As a reminder, plenty of Pokémon-EX are well balanced (or even weak) compared to other cards. The ones that are overpowered are just that; overpowered cards like we have overly powerful regular Basics, Stage 1 and Stage 2 cards. What's more, some of the lot that seem too good for our own good? The rest of the card pool is as much if not more to blame.

I may have some bias because I really want my Pidgeot EX and m Pidgeot EX I've been wanting for the last 15 years or so, so I want the mechanic to stick around till then. From a balance standpoint, I still want them to stay around. What makes games fun are the many mechanics of the game. In fighting games we have fast characters who dont do much damage but attack fast, characters that are slow but do big damage and the characters between both considered to be balanced.

With the TCG, we can see a lot of this. If something 'took' (yes, took) more resources it was powerful because you had to spend more to get it in play. They either had really good abilities, attacks or both! Basic Pokemon took less resources but required more to get going and weren't as powerful. The problem then was any stage could be an EX and evolution cards had stupid support. The Rayquaza, Blaziken, Pidgeot, Some other attacker deck was stupid. May evolution decks were just overpowered.

Nowadays, Basic Pokemon rule the format and its about time IMO. Ideally it would be nice to see all Pokemon have a basic card form so people can play with favorites but Pokemon now that are stage 1 or 2 are only made to support big EX Pokemon. Take a look at Houndoom EX and m Houndoom EX. Its a card made to mill the opponent. The problem, they'll just make a card that deals 200 damage and make Houndoom EX useless.

The problem isn't that basic Pokemon EX are too good, the problem is the damage output these Pokemon are capable of doing. I'm including Night March and Flareon/bees here too. Damage output is too high and needs to be scaled back. Like Otaku said, this isn't the first time we've seen this and damage was just as high in the past, just now Pokemon have more HP. They need to find a balance between basic, everything in between and Pokemon EX. Don't make EX Pokemon weaker - I say leave things the way they are but offer more cards to support all of these and generally make evolving basics and evolving stage 1 Pokemon better. Pidgey should have an ability to get more pidgey's. ( its a bird so maybe some kind of flying mechanic, like MtG) and Pidgeotto should have a way to get Pidgeot into play faster or at least get other Pidgeotto down. We should be able to get stage 2 Pokemon in play within 2 turns without other card support. Look at how well the Garchomp line did due to the ability to support itself.

Back