Mew OR/AS Download, RGBY-Themed 2DS to be Released with Mew!

Makes me want to get one of those 2DS badly now *^*
Mew sounds amazing!

Last edited:
Edit: Wait, is this for all regions or only Japan?? :O

Well, I was on the fence but this sealed the deal. I'm getting Red version. I want that mew. :)

I don't see anything about this, but can you get mew in the old games without buying the 2DS? If not, I hope the old gen 1 mew glitch still works!

Last edited:
WOW this is such a beautiful and thoughtful throwback. They treat the old fans so well. I was on the border of getting one of the original copies, but after seeing this im pretty officially sold on getting Yellow for that Mew bonus. :)
Id be sold on getting a 2DS too if I didnt already have a Nw3DS. Still waiting on an eventual Pokemon-themed release so that I can trade it in.

I'm not much a fan of the 2DS, but they look nice enough to consider getting one. The Yellow one in particular looks perty.

If they also do this Mew event here in the west, I hope they cut out the part where we have to buy one of the games... I don't want to spend 10€ on a game I'm not going to play just to get a legit Mew...

I for one, am glad you have to buy it because it encourages people to get involved in this 20th anniversary celebration.

That and I think this is a very welcomed addition to VC so I'd definitely get it anyway. I really hope we get these 2DS systems over here though. It would make me consider pre-ordering one for sure.

There's always the old Mew method. Find the kid on route 25 who has slowpoke in his team and fight him. After the match go to route 7. Find the gambler next to the underground pass. Make sure he has to walk towards you. Press the start button the split second the apostrophe appears above his head. Go to team and select your Pokemon with Fly. Fly to Lavender Town. Walk West. The menu will pop open by itself. Close the menu.
A wild Lv. 7 Mew will appear in front of you. Congratulations. Now throw 1 of the 128 Masterball's in your bag at it, to add it to your Pokedex and team.

I like the idea; it does encourage more people to get the R/B/Y downloads from the 3DS EShop to get the Mew. One year is a tad on the long side; but what can you do?

It just gives more and more time for everyone to get their hands on a legit Mew; even if it's only going to Level 5 and know Pound.

I like that they gave them the see-through look of some of the GB models, I didn't even remember that I missed those.

Edit: Wait, is this for all regions or only Japan?? :O

It seems to be Japan only for right now. I think the rest of the world will get them at some point though.

There's always the old Mew method. Find the kid on route 25 who has slowpoke in his team and fight him. After the match go to route 7. Find the gambler next to the underground pass. Make sure he has to walk towards you. Press the start button the split second the apostrophe appears above his head. Go to team and select your Pokemon with Fly. Fly to Lavender Town. Walk West. The menu will pop open by itself. Close the menu.
A wild Lv. 7 Mew will appear in front of you. Congratulations. Now throw 1 of the 128 Masterball's in your bag at it, to add it to your Pokedex and team.

Is it even possible to get a Master Ball at that point? As near as I know, the only place you could do the Missingno glitch is Cinnibar Island. Putting it to sleep and throwing Great Balls worked well enough for me, you don't need a Master Ball.

I'm not gonna assume the glitches will be a thing in the R/G/B/Y VC Ports.

To be completely honest - I feel like with this announcement: Glitches are probably going to be removed for the safety of your file. Glitching with the cartridge is one thing, but glitching on VC is another.

So Mew has only been announced for Japan so far, it's only a matter of time before this promotion is announced in the States and hopefully internationally so everyone can get it!

I am getting so hyped. We might be getting Mew again!

Whilst I'm all for the idea of having Mew downloaded to your game through a special means in a game store, I'm worried that Ireland will get the short end of the stick here if this distribution reaches Europe. The whole time I've been back and forth between Ireland and home in the UK, I've almost never seen any Pokémon distributions occur outside of Northern Ireland.

Back