Discussion Max Elixir Tactics

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
90x126xPP-Max-XY9-143x200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-ldTnuSz_f.jpg

---
Max Elixir – Trainer
Item

Look at the top 6 cards of your deck. You may choose a basic Energy card you find there and attach it to 1 of your Basic Benched Pokemon. Shuffle the remaining cards back into your deck

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
---

As you can see, we now have a card that can provide nearly universal energy acceleration: At some point in time Pokemon you put in play can be put onto the bench, and aside from Maxie and Archie plays, they start out as basic Pokemon.

From all this, just imagine the interesting strategies you could make with this card:
-Use it to accelerate Lucario-EX: With Hawlucha starting off, you can potentially get two energy on Lucario for the first turn, and thus use its attack as a draw engine much easier. Machamp-EX could also become a Backup attacker for this deck.
-Add it into Grass Durant Mill decks, helping to keep adding to the milling pressure against opponents.
-Dragon Decks have retreating options to use, so developing, say, a Dratini on the bench before evolution could work as well...

Post some other options you can think of working with this card!

A deck I'll test is Machamp/Ariados. Machamp gets two main support cards from the new set: Max Elixer and Fighting Spirit Belt. FSB is perfect because Machamp poisons itself with Ariados, so it does more damage. Well, now you can increase your HP and do 10 more damage. It may not seem like a lot, but Crazy Hammer does 160 if Machamp is affected by a special condition. So 160+10 from FSB+10 from poison is 180.
Max Elixer is great in Machamp. The main problem with Machamp is that it takes too much energy, but this solves it. Basically, if you start Hawlucha, then get a Max Elixer, then you can get a turn 2 Machamp, or even a turn one depending on your luck.
Also, Gengar gets a lot of help. If you go second, then if you have a Gengar on the bench, then you can attach a Float Stone to the active, attach a DCE to Gengar, and Max Elixer to get a turn one Gengar.

It seems like a late game card to me when most other cards have been played. Decks with a lot of energy should see at least 1 every time they play it. There are a few cards that can set it up though.

I'm going to give it a go with Kyogre. What I'll attempt to to do is get two basic energies on kyogre first round and then mega evolve on second round. A kyogre deck runs about 12 to 14 energies so I was thinking of tossing in some battle compressors to thin the deck out on first turn. Once I toss away supporters, I can then move into other unneeded items. By doing so, this should thin the deck where if I go six deep I should pick up an energy somewhere. I'm going to run the deck with the new Manphy so I'll be able to retreat Kyogre into another pokemon. I believe Manphy, along with articuno, Regice, and Seismitoad and the new Maxelixer will turn the Kyogre deck into competitive tournament deck. Even with a four charge, Kyogre will be faster and more limber (options) than it currently has ever had.

I also think the Max elixer will give glallie a big boost. I'm going to try running it with archie's and flip for swampart. Swampart has the ability to draw a card and place it on top of the deck. I'll run it with unowns shaymins, and octillery (possibly). I'm going to attempt to flip for swampart and draw the card I need (energy) and than max elixer it out onto Glallie. I've also thought about running it Melotic just to pull another max elixer out for late game.

Right now, all the rage is machamp. My personal opinion about max elixer is that it will over drive Mewtwo (Damage Exchange). Going Mega on Metwo and using damage exchange along with shrine of memories is going to make machamp decks grumpy. Also if you can get three energies on a basic Mewtwo first round, that is a one hit knock out on Machamp. My guess, and it's only a hypothesis, but of all the pokemon Max Elixer will benefit, I think Mewtwo EX (Damage Exchange) is the sleeper.

Overall, what I think will happen with the meta after release, is that more decks will bump up their energy and supporter counts. The game is going to be weirdly slower and yet faster. Shruggs....It's an ironic hunch?

No testing been done as it is all thoughts.

Arceus promo + Smeargle + Max Elixir + Fighting Spirit Belt + Golduck Break = a 160 HP Basic hitting for 20-320 that I can move the energy off to a fresh one/Max Potion.

With Max Elixir I can get 70-160 (plus 10 with Fighting Spirit Belt) turn one potential (average more likely 70-100).

Could possiblely be a tech Ho-Oh EX in Expanded.

Two words quad heatmor. Ether with Max elixir dropping up to 8 energy on to heatmors on turn 1 if you get a good start (because you can run 4 max elixir and 4 ethers). At the very least it makes heatmor more playable.

Two words quad heatmor. Ether with Max elixir dropping up to 8 energy on to heatmors on turn 1 if you get a good start (because you can run 4 max elixir and 4 ethers). At the very least it makes heatmor more playable.

That's pretty unlikely since the deck has to play with roughly 2/3 of the deck being Energy, and thus there isn't much room for Supporters to search out all of Ethers, but it definitely improves your odds of getting Heatmor powered up turn one, and that's all you really need.

Will be a nice little boost to types with no decent acceleration, like Fighting and Psychic.

Really I think this will make Togekiss-engine decks a bit more consistent, upping the chance that you draw into energies to attach outside of your normal attachment per turn. You could pair it with Camerupt, Tyrantrum, Raikou, Ampharos...lots of combinations!

Back