'Pokekyun Collection' Mini-Set Coming January!

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
We don't need reprints of Base Set cards. We need more spiritual successors of them, like how Reuniclus BW, Blastoise BCR, etc. were based on Alakazam, Blastoise, etc. Most Base Set cards simply don't compare to today's cards, ignoring a few overpowered Trainers. Though at this point, we've already gotten cards based on most of the cards that would translate over well. In addition, since BW, we've basically had every single Base Set Trainer or a card based heavily on it, a good chunk of which are still Standard-legal. Actually, counting Pokemon Center, which was completely remade, and counting Cheren/Tierno as Bill successors, we've had every single one, right down to Pokemon Flute (Target Whistle), Clefairy Doll (Robo Substitute) and freaking Maintenance. A couple are a stretch (Defender/Hard Charm, Lass/Ghetsis, Impostor Oak/Red Card, Energy Removal/Crushing Hammer), but we've had them all. OK, to be fair, there is one we haven't had. But does anyone really want an equivalent to Super Energy Removal?

I guess there's a handful of not fully evolved Pokemon they could just give us outright, but not many considering how resistance was changed. Something like Magikarp, Seel or Caterpie could work. But at that point, why bother? (OK, to be fair, I would personally find it cool, as I did with the KSS Pawniard being a reprint, but most wouldn't as they're pretty bad.) The only fully-evolved Pokemon (from Base Set's perspective) that I could see coming in their original form are Arcanine (who would still be fairly bad, but about on par with Japanese deck filler), Ninetales (also fairly bad, but believable) and Electabuzz (who could actually work out well considering Electivire is now a thing). Hmm, actually, I guess there's Venusaur, too... That could work.

To be honest, I interpreted it the other way and thought we might get modern cards re-printed on the original card design. Though, I can see why they wouldn't do that as that could end up looking really messy, confusing and weird if both are current-time designs people are using.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Do we know what the other "cute" Pokemon are? I can name a lot off the top of my head that are cuter than those listed.

Gulpin I'm going to assume is the Stunfisk of this set, which I'm cool with. The rest, though, are fine, with one exception. Gardevoir and Charmander wouldn't personally be at the top of my "cute" Pokemon list, but I can see why they're considered as such. My one question, though, is why Fletchling? I'll admit it has a fair bit of personality, both in the anime and the opening cutscene in X/Y, but cute? I guess it's somewhat cute, but so's Taillow, and no way in heck that's here.

Shiny Xard

'Cuz why not.
Guys, keep in mind this is still part of the BREAK series. You can see the logo on the pack art. Maybe we'll get a cool break or two? We'll see. ;)

Sdrqaz

Aspiring Trainer
I'm a little concerned about the appeal of the Pokekyun Collection. While I'm sure there's a market for 'kawaii' products in Japan, I'm not so sure about the rest of the world. I'm suspecting it'll be incorporated into the English version of Awakening of Psychic Kings (BREAK-something).

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Past mini-sets have come with EXes, FAs, and other recurring mechanics, so I wouldn't be surprised if a BREAK Pokémon were included.

I'm a little concerned about the appeal of the Pokekyun Collection. While I'm sure there's a market for 'kawaii' products in Japan, I'm not so sure about the rest of the world. I'm suspecting it'll be incorporated into the English version of Awakening of Psychic Kings (BREAK-something).

The previous "cute" mini-set (Shiny Collection) was indeed lumped Legendary Treasures in the English release, though Legendary Holo might also count as "cute" and that got unique promo boxes in English, so who knows. It's very likely it'll be released in English at some point, but we won't know how or when until TPCi decides to let us know. There are certainly plenty of potential release options.

asdjklghty

-------------
We don't need reprints of Base Set cards. We need more spiritual successors of them, like how Reuniclus BW, Blastoise BCR, etc. were based on Alakazam, Blastoise, etc. Most Base Set cards simply don't compare to today's cards, ignoring a few overpowered Trainers. Though at this point, we've already gotten cards based on most of the cards that would translate over well. In addition, since BW, we've basically had every single Base Set Trainer or a card based heavily on it, a good chunk of which are still Standard-legal. Actually, counting Pokemon Center, which was completely remade, and counting Cheren/Tierno as Bill successors, we've had every single one, right down to Pokemon Flute (Target Whistle), Clefairy Doll (Robo Substitute) and freaking Maintenance. A couple are a stretch (Defender/Hard Charm, Lass/Ghetsis, Impostor Oak/Red Card, Energy Removal/Crushing Hammer), but we've had them all. OK, to be fair, there is one we haven't had. But does anyone really want an equivalent to Super Energy Removal?

I guess there's a handful of not fully evolved Pokemon they could just give us outright, but not many considering how resistance was changed. Something like Magikarp, Seel or Caterpie could work. But at that point, why bother? (OK, to be fair, I would personally find it cool, as I did with the KSS Pawniard being a reprint, but most wouldn't as they're pretty bad.) The only fully-evolved Pokemon (from Base Set's perspective) that I could see coming in their original form are Arcanine (who would still be fairly bad, but about on par with Japanese deck filler), Ninetales (also fairly bad, but believable) and Electabuzz (who could actually work out well considering Electivire is now a thing). Hmm, actually, I guess there's Venusaur, too... That could work.
I don't know what you're complaining about. You said yourself pretty much every Trainer from Base Set remade. Lysandre replaces Catcher, which in turn was a remake of Gust of Wind. The only things that have to be remade are from the D/P/Pl era such as Chatot with Mimic and Spiritomb.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
inb4 Mega Altaria...

@RiverShock Gardevoir again (it was already in Shiny Collection) is a bit boring... but Charmander is cute, at least as cute as a lizard can be. In XY, I loved petting it in Amie.

Ursaring was in Shiny Collection and is not particularly cute either, although that was mostly because Teddiursa was also in the set... But it seems this set will not feature complete evolution lines while Shiny collection had some.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
I'm officially in love with that Gardevoir artwork. *.*

Appropriate that my avatar is a Gallade, right? :p

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Please tell me that Full Art Sylveon EX will be a thing? Not that this one isn't a winner in my eyes as I am already extremely impressed by the art direction that this is strived towards. I don't even like Gardevoir but I don't mind it's Shining colouration, maybe I'll exempt that!

Kecleon-X

124c41+
So aside from the obvious Gardevoir art, that Fletchling artwork is really good.

Also, I can't wait to find out what the heck those ribbons mean.

Peter's Lucario

Lucario BREAK
Cant wait to get my boxes. 20 packs per box, 4 cards per pack = 80 cards per box so I better be able to complete the set at least once.