Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

I think another good side to Manaphy EX that people have probably noticed, but I haven't seen commented on, is that with its ability and attack, it can let tired 'mon switch and get healed 30 though its attack (+30 more for water types with the seas stadium)...of course, this is a more for-fun kind of strategy.

I really like this Greninja (BREAK)
I wan't to see Greninja's art

I like Manaphy too
but, i don't like the art

Holy cow this is XY Greninja in steroids, you deal 60 damage from a ability, then attack to hex maniac your opponent, this is so scary. I´m so glad now they didn´t make break pokemon archie searchable.

The designer for Greninja BREAK could not have possibly been lazier. You double the effect of old Greninja and call it a day? What a terrible card.

Manaphy is pretty exciting though. No retreat is so powerful I would be surprised if there isnt a deck to abuse it. Especially with Rough Seas healing 30 a turn? Oh man.

This is how all stage 1 Pokemon should work with the way the game went. Also, this is pretty much the killer of any support pokemon with lower HP. If this deck becomes really popular, I can see basic EX Pokemon getting even more stupid just to keep up with it.

Last edited:
Greninja's first attack does 40 damage, so it's 40 + Hex Maniac.

They're advertising support for BREAKs and Evolutions in the set, so we'll have to see what shows up.

Absolutely love that ability though.

Archie + Greninja XY + Greninja Break + Miltank + Energy retrieval. I don't know if this combination sees play, but it is really cool.

Just a note; while it doesn't look like what is essentially a stage 4 will be a top tier Worlds deck right at this moment, the fact that the BREAKpoint Greninja can end off with having zero energy attached to it is definitely going to come in handy, now that M-Mewtwo Y exists and Yveltal EX got a whole lot stronger thanks to Max Elixir and Fighting Spirit Belt.

Some calculations:

Greninja BREAK on top of Greninja BREAKpoint vs. Yveltal EX w/ Fighting Spirit Belt:
  • 2HKO with two attacks and one ability (60 + 80 + 80 = 240)
  • Almost 1.5HKO with one attack + shuriken followed by a second shuriken next turn (60 + 80 + 60 = 200 [OHKOs non-FSB Yveltal, or FSB Yveltal with 10 damage prior])
  • Definite 1.5HKO with a Muscle Band (60 + 100 + 60 = 220) [Note: this also OHKO's FSB-Toad and FSB-Giratina]
Meanwhile Yveltal w/ FSB or Muscle Band needs 7 energy to OHKO back.

Yes, these calcs may end up meaning nothing... but figured I'd throw them out there nonetheless :)

Also funny is that Greninja BRP's attack can shut down your opponent's ninja frogs (in addition to their Shaymins and Bats of course)!

so now you can toss 2 energies using the xy greninja and break and do 90 damage

welcome to the new meta

btw water darkrai lol

Oh my... Well, thing got quite interesting all of a sudden. If one can pull the Frogs out quickly, add Miltank and such, then you have a strategy that literally knock down loads of Low-HP pokemon against your opponent. I see it wrecking Night March, as 60 - 30 damage hits easily knock those cards out - and you haven't even attacked yet! Of course, pulling this off will be the tricky part, and Basics already got an HP boosting item to use...

Will be fun to try, though!

Manaphy EX. I thank you for existing, as the Great Primal Kyogre's return is imminent all because of you, you BEAUTIFUL CREATURE OF FOIL AND CARDBOARD. THANK YOU!

Also Greninja Break woooooo

Last edited:
Next, 'call for family' will suddenly allow you to search your deck for 2/3 stage 1 pokemon and putting them onto the bench directly.

btw water darkrai lol
Sounds like what the chat in TPP would say when a legendary comes up in PBR ([Insert type here] Entei).

But yeah Manaphy EX does look pretty good.

On another note, with Chesnaught BREAK in the last set, and Greninja BREAK in this set, chances are (and I'm betting on this) there'll be a Delphox BREAK in the next set.

Oh my... Well, thing got quite interesting all of a sudden. If one can pull the Frogs out quickly, add Miltank and such, then you have a strategy that literally knock down loads of Low-HP pokemon against your opponent. I see it wrecking Night March, as 60 - 30 damage hits easily knock those cards out - and you haven't even attacked yet! Of course, pulling this off will be the tricky part, and Basics already got an HP boosting item to use...

Will be fun to try, though!
Night March are so speedy that you will not be able to setup a single GreninjaBREAK (Stage 3)...

Welp, I'll be slapping a couple Manaphy-EX into my Primal Kyogre deck. Should kindly free up some space without having to use Switch or Float Stone now. :D

Also I'm liking the playability of Greninja Break -- normal Greninja isn't bad either, and it appears Shadow Slip does 40 (which the translation is missing). Hopefully this points to Break cards actually posing some threat in this set.

Greninja Break is kinda ugly though. Took me a while to even comprehend what I was looking at.

Back