Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

So hyped for Greninja!! Is that free retreat on the stage 2 I see? I definitely want to look into Greninja Break when it's released, one of my favourite Pokemon.

Maybe I'll work on a Greninja/Toad deck in the meantime...

I'm most excited for Greninja BREAK as it could potentially be a great tech in for Greninja (XY). My current favorite deck for Standard is Archie's Greninja with Miltank and depending on Greninja BREAK's attack, it could be a useful optional attacker that is easier to get out than most BREAK Pokemon.

EDIT: On second thought, Greninja BREAK doesn't have an attack, just another ability, so stacking Water Shurikan with Greninja BREAKS ability could be great too.

I'm having a tough time trying to work out the artwork of Greninja break. With Gyarados and now Manaphy, I think my chances of seeing a poli EX or Suicune EX in this set is diminished.

Not sure if I'm the only one who's hype for Manaphy with a Kyogre deck. Not even sure what Manaphy does but I feel it'll have some synergy "not to mention you can dive ball for manaphy"

I am still holding out for a Zygarde CARD of any kind...it's just him and Volcanion left out in the rain (well, joined by Abra and company I suppose). Maybe a multi-stage card set is in store for the future (with the different forms)...perhaps even the set after this one will be Zygarde-centric?

Wow, this is interesting! We haven't seen a potentially highly playable Trainer-based Energy accelerator as far as I'm concerned. I guess Mega Turbo and Ether exist, but still, this is pretty neat. Ready the fine print limitations, this could be really effective in Big Basic decks. Unfortunately that is a double edged sword, as many disruptive decks will gain an asset. Hopefully this reveal leads to a promising set.
*cough* dark patch *cough*

I can make out a Water symbol in Manaphy's ability.

and I'm pretty sure the only way for Evolutions to compete with Fighting Spirit Belt is to have a card that allows them to be searched from the deck and placed down as a Basic Pokemon. ;)

No mention of the game at the bottom... o.o Do we even know about that yet? :I

That is the Japanese box art for Pokemon Rumble World. They are just showing another zone where you fight Primal Kyogre that comes out on the 19th.

I am still holding out for a Zygarde CARD of any kind...it's just him and Volcanion left out in the rain (well, joined by Abra and company I suppose). Maybe a multi-stage card set is in store for the future (with the different forms)...perhaps even the set after this one will be Zygarde-centric?

I can't imagine Zygarde not being the focus of the entire set. It doesn't seem like that is the case with XY9. The next set or the set after that seems more plausible and potentially lines up with the new game(s).

Manaphy Ex
Ability : When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench, you may search your deck for 2 [W] reveal it, and attach it to your active Pokèmon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

I am willing to bet it's something along these lines.

I think the those Pokémons with in-complete evolution chain in BREAKthrough will get the final evolution card in this set. Greninja for one.

So if I were to put my money, I'll say we will have a Delphox in this set, along with it's BREAK evolution.

Why do they keep doing this? We now have now energy acceleration for basic Ex's. I wish they would have (excluding pokemon Ex) in the conditions to give non-ex cards a chance. Getting a stage 2 card out into play is going to be nearly impossible when this comes out.

My my... Lots of scary strategies unleashed. Just imagine: Speed Lucario-EX. Speed Camerupt-EX. Speed Thundurus-EX. Speed Machamp-EX. Speed Yveltal-EX. Speed... You get what I'm saying? Why did they make this card?!

c'mon, this is ridiculous...
basics gonna be like chuck norris

Honestly guys, you guys are just too ahead of it, did you prove it, will it make the game so broke like that? Well, i tried, and no, it won´t, it´s horrible, 6 cards are not enough unless you´re running a deck like my previous M Gardy Togekiss which had 14 energy, not to mention it only works for benched pokemon, it´s a hit or miss, like scoop up it will only properly work if you have 4, and that´s too much space. It was the same for me with paint roller, when that card was announced, i tought it would be the end for stadium engines, everybody would just rip your stadiums off, and when it was released, i found out NOBODY uses it. When a card is so hyped like that, you need to proxy and check it out before getting too dramatic.

Manaphy EX is going to be a mandatory 2-3 of in water/every deck in the future, calling it now. Think about it the last 2 promo cute/small legendaries we've had were mandatory 1-3 ofs in every deck aka Jirachi EX and Shaymin EX.

Not enough data points for a sound conclusion; after all if we go back a bit before we get Celebi-EX, which has only seem very minimal, successful play (if at all) in specialized decks. Of course if you just want to make a somewhat bold prediction... I fear it is not overly risky.

When a card is so hyped like that, you need to proxy and check it out before getting too dramatic.

I agree with not getting overly hyped however once you do learn how the game functions well enough you should be able to spot potentially problematic cards... and the reason they are potentially problematic is a small part "Huh that doesn't work out as well as it did on paper." and a large part "Oh, but they also released [something to balance it out... or that is simply even more powerful] alongside it." In this case we certainly do not need anymore "easy acceleration" and if it fails, it is still not a balanced card; we just have even more powerful forces at work, crowding it out of decks. ^^' No really, we've seen that for years; Crushing Hammer was preceded - what, a decade ago? - by Energy Removal 2. Functionally the same card except for the name, but I don't recall anyone really running it. Now? It is actually less played than it was a few years ago when Hammer Time was huge!

So yes, testing is good, but you didn't proxy the entire set and remember real testing is tedious with how much effort is involved; dozens (plural) results are needing even for small things.

Last edited:
Yeah that´s what i´m talking about, this right here i agree, is definitely going to be a meta changer, sure most people will still prefer to run muscle band, because of the extra damage, and yes a lot of ex treats are going to be even more annoying and i may need a lot of bats to ko. But still i´m loving it because it just came right when i´m building a Magnezone deck, now imagine that, a Raikou with 180 hp, holy damn, a pokemon with 180 hp which gives just 1 prize, talk about frustration. Not to mention, Pikachu will have a normal decent ex hp and maybe survive a bit more than one turn. I think they should have done it like +20hp and +20atk, and not even reprint muscle band at all.

Willing to bet that next set is XY10 with another random mega and then XZYZ or Z block will begin.

I don´t think so, why else would they rename the set to break? This is another season on tcg, i know they will extend it quite a bit.

Back