Forum Games Resources & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer
Welcome to PokéBeach's Forum Games!

In this forum, members are able to play in various games and even host their own games for others to play too.
In this thread, you can find the Forum Games rules, Forum Games information & guides, and also discuss the antics of the rest of Forum Games. Feel free to request co-hosts/back-up hosts, talk about ideas for future games, and discuss ongoing and finished games here as well. This thread is also to be used to discuss games that have separate Master Documents, such as Werewolf and Roleplaying Games.

Rules
  • New threads must be approved by the Forum Games moderating team before they will appear. This process may take days, depending on the quality/complexity of your game. Please be patient during this process.
  • Games with a YPPY rule (a player can't post until two other players have posted after their last post) should include [YPPY] in the thread title.
  • Play fair. For example, in Werewolf, if you are a wolf don't tell all the town players who the other wolves are. It ruins the game and is just not fun that way.

Staff
If you have any questions or concerns about what goes in on Forum Games, please feel free to contact the Forum Games moderating team:

Head: Athena

Helpful Guides & Resources
Archives

Last edited by a moderator:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Wowzas, noone's posted here yet o.o. I then wonder how many people will see this post... but oh well.

So, would people be interested (or have time to play) in a TCG version of Kingdoms? I've run it before under the name Trick & Trump, although I've had a long think about it and have an idea to perhaps make it more fun, as well as devised a way to make it less reliant on getting EXs. :U

TwistedTurtwig

It's been a pleasure
As much as I've grown to love playing games of Werewolf here on Pokebeach, I've found myself growing a bit tired of the same thing time and time again. Each new iteration brings with it new roles, themes, and gameplay, but the genre as a whole has started to lose a part of its charm for me. It very well could just be me that feels this way, or it may be reflected by some of the other Werewolf regulars, I don't really know.

After thinking about this issue, I noticed one particular trend among most of the major forum game series (Werewolf, The Challenge, Kingdoms, Convicted, etc.). All of the most notable games (barring things such as YPPY games) are focused around competing against other players, in one form or another. There may be some teamwork involved, but at the end of the day, the point is for you (or your team) to come out on top. What if we had a new kind of game where instead of working against each other, players worked towards a common goal?

I have a rough concept for such a game in the works that I'd be interested in testing out if it had enough support. It would be similar to a video game RPG, almost like a tabletop D&D game of sorts. Players would have different classes, fight rounds of enemies, and progress through a story. Is this something that people would be interested in trying out? I'd enjoy any feedback or questions about the idea, since I'd like to know whether it's worth developing further into a fully functioning game or just scrapping.

Last edited:

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
As much as I've grown to love playing games of Werewolf here on Pokebeach, I've found myself growing a bit tired of the same thing time and time again. Each new iteration brings with it new roles, themes, and gameplay, but the genre as a whole has started to lose a part of its charm for me. It very well could just be me that feels this way, or it may be reflected by some of the other Werewolf regulars, I don't really know.

After thinking about this issue, I noticed one particular trend among most of the major forum game series (Werewolf, The Challenge, Kingdoms, Convicted, etc.). All of the most notable games (barring things such as YPPY games) are focused around competing against other players, in one form or another. There may be some teamwork involved, but at the end of the day, the point is for you (or your team) to come out on top. What if we had a new kind of game where instead of working against each other, players worked towards a common goal?

I have a rough concept for such a game in the works that I'd be interested in testing out if it had enough support. It would be similar to a video game RPG, almost like a tabletop D&D game of sorts. Players would have different classes, fight rounds of enemies, and progress through a story. Is this something that people would be interested in trying out? I'd enjoy any feedback or questions about the idea, since I'd like to know whether it's worth developing further into a fully functioning game or just scrapping.

I for one would be very interested in such a game, if you want to put one like that together please post the thread in FG so that the staff may review it. :)

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
I'd be interested. If that became a thing could I use my actual character sheet from D&D for my role? [Yes, I have an actual Character sheet. Cynthia from A New Day uses my stats.]

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I don't think I've seen many proper role-play games being posted around the forums, so this could be interesting. Not trying to dissaude you or anything, but there was a RPG that required teamwork that failed to get over 8 players, although that game was submitted during PB's lower activity spikes in the Forum Games so may not be a reliable tell of activity.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
The Challenge's 6th season is winding down now, so it's time we opened up applications for The Challenge 7! If you would like to host The Challenge 6, PM me, @Vom, @bbninjas, @Ice Espeon and/or @Brave Vesperia (you can add all the FG Staff to the conversation to make things easier) your application. Here's what you'll need to PM us:
  • The number of players and teams your game will have.
  • Any initial plot/theme your game has (such as the Nintendo games story bbninjas and Celever used in their game).
  • The name of your co-host.
  • Any other important information about the game that is public to the players.
As said above, we are requiring hosts of The Challenge to have a co-host. Members may volunteer to be co-hosts in this thread, or if the host has someone in mind, they can just pick them, too. We're not letting a single person taking care of a game like this because of the huge amount of work it requires compared to other games.

Remember you can discuss anything you'd like about The Challenge, as well as everything FG, here!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
It may be worthwhile to wait for feedback on The Challenge 6 in regards to things like themes. I've been chatting with a few people who have mentioned that closed themes (like Nintendo) are a bit of a load and can limit creativity in creating challenges, which are both points I have noticed and totally agree with! This means that more open themes (like space, arena etc) don't really hinder creativity and are more so recommended.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I was tempted to apply myself until I saw the co-host requirement. Ah well. If someone wants me to create/judge a challenge like I did for Celever & bb's game, feel free to poke me, I'd be happy to.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Depending on previous hosting experiences; we might consider well known and experienced hosts to host TC7 on their own.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Notice: The Challenge applications will close at 6:00 PM EST on the 30th of November, which is approximately 17 days from this post.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Hey everyone, it's your friendly mod and FG enthusiast Athena! :D I'm one of the potential hosts for the upcoming Challenge 7, and to help me prepare, I've made a short survey to gather opinions from potential players about some things to help me plan and prepare for the game, if I end up getting the spot. Whether you've played or hosted a Challenge before, plan on joining or spectating in mine, or even if you're not quite sure what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate it if you would take a few minutes of your time to take the survey and help me out.

You can access the survey by clicking here!

It looks long, but that's mostly because I specifically made it multiple pages so that I could have little introductory/information parts for the various sections of questions. Most of the questions are multiple choice with the option to give more information if you like. It shouldn't take long to complete, and all responses are anonymous.

If you have any questions or would like to give further feedback, please feel free to post in thread or PM me! :) I'll be cross-posting this post to the Challenge 6 thread, too.

Of course, I don't know yet if I'll be winning the hosting spot or not. If someone else ends up hosting, I would be happy to share the results of this thread to the winning party if they would like it.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
A recent survey-taker for my The Challenge 7 asked in the end section where he/she could find the general rules. Since I don't know who they are, I'll reply here:

The general rules aren't posted yet, but they will be included in the opening post of The Challenge 7 when it's posted. :) In the meantime, you can check previous games like The Challenge 6 to get a feel for the rules and mechanics, though some of the specifics are bound to change from then until now. The submission deadlines for C7 hosts ends next week, so hopefully it won't be too long before the OP gets posted!

While I'm here, I'm going to pimp the survey link some more. Please check it out, and answer if you haven't yet! All the cool people are doing it.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
Hello everyone.

We are now looking for WW host apps! :D Please send them to me, and the rest of the Forum Games staff which are @bbninjas, @Luispipe8, @Ice Espeon and @Vom.

Please note the following things:

1. This is a game, and even though you will be hosting it and not playing, be sure to have some fun yourself! :)

2. You will receive a PM acknowledging your application within 24 hours of you submitting it. When applications close and all of them have been examined by staff, you will then receive another PM notifying you that your application has been accepted, or a PM that your application has been denied.

- Brave Vesperia and the FG team

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
@Athena will be hosting season 7 of The Challenge, so be sure to check her game out once it's up! Be sure to take her survey too, so the game can be the best for everyone! :D

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
When making your submission, remember to follow the application guidelines that you can find here!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Hey guys, I hope you're looking forward to my game! And a big thanks to those of you who decided to help out and take my timing survey.

The majority of the respondents requested a December start-time with long breaks for holidays, so that is likely what I will be doing. I hope to get my OP up before the weekend, with sign-ups open as necessary, and then start in. The early challenges are fairly simple, and there will be ample time given to complete them, along with break time set during the Christmas week and New Years, so hopefully this will work out for the majority of people who are interested in joining.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
NOTICE: The Forum Games team has decided that the deadline for Werewolf Applications will be by the end of the 31st of December EST.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
NOTICE: If you wish to submit an application to host the next Werewolf game, there is roughly nine days from this post until applications close.

Deadline in Pacfic Standard Time [PST]: 20:59 of the 31st of December
Deadline in Eastern Standard Time [EST]: 23:59 of the 31st of December
Deadline in Greenwich Mean Time [GMT]: 04:59 of the 1st of January
Deadline in Australian Eastern Standard Time [AEST]: 14:59 of the 1st of January

Status
Not open for further replies.