Vileplume Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Vileplume variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:
Wacky Worlds – Adventures from Boston, Plus a Look at Vileplume!

Vileplume / Regice Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 19
  • 3 Vileplume (AOR 3)
  • 3 Gloom (AOR 2)
  • 3 Oddish (AOR 1)
  • 3 Regice (AOR 24)
  • 3 Miltank (FLF 83)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
  • 1 Dodrio (BRT 117)
  • 1 Doduo (BRT 116)
Trainers: 26
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 AZ
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observation
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 4 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy: 10
  • 6 Water Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy

Open Spots: 5

Vileplume / Giratina Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 16
  • 3 Vileplume (AOR 3)
  • 3 Gloom (AOR 2)
  • 3 Oddish (AOR 1)
  • 4 Giratina-EX (AOR 58)
  • 1 Lugia-EX (AOR 68)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
Trainers: 27
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 AZ
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
Energy: 8
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy

Open Spots: 9

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Is it meant to be there because of the upcoming expansion? If so, maybe add Noctowl to this list...?

Serpens

Aspiring Trainer
I have a feeling that with XY8, Brigette is going to help Vileplume decks a lot, being able to search your deck for the whole line.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I have a feeling that with XY8, Brigette is going to help Vileplume decks a lot, being able to search your deck for the whole line.

Perhaps you should read again... Three oddish on your bench is all you can get, and why would anyone want that?

MelancholyFairy

Tricky Fox
I am personally not quite sure why this would be under tier 3 because I would imagine Giratina-ex would be under the Vileplume variant. I run a Regice/Vileplume/Slurpuff deck and I have to say it works very well for me and I can always get Vileplume out turn 1, and Regice attacking turn 2. If you're shutting your opponent off hitting you with EX cards (Which is basically the tier 1 meta for standard and expanded) then they really can't hurt you unless they have a Lysandre. Even then they're rarely taking prizes as they need 6 prizes to win and most decks rely on Vs seekers to get them back which they can't use thanks to Vileplume. Most stage 1 decks rely on items to get set up quickly (Raichu, Vespiquen, Nightmarch, etc) And as long as you get it out turn one you're good. I've beaten Giratina, Toad, Vespiquen, and many other high tier decks. I personally think Regice/Vileplume has some strong potential.

The Poke Tactics

Just a Pokemon fan.
Correct me if I'm wrong,guys. My partner with the flower Pokemon,Vileplume is Noctowl because they're Item-related.

Wobawoba21

Aspiring Trainer
Correct me if I'm wrong,guys. My partner with the flower Pokemon,Vileplume is Noctowl because they're Item-related.

Yeah ideally it is, it's basically the gengar vileplume combo from years ago, my only concern with it now in this metagame is pretty much any thunder Pokemon can knock it out quick and vespiqueen as well so they're have to be a partner attacker imo

NintendoAlian

Frontier Brain
When Breakthrough came out, this was the first deck I built. The problem is it only has 90 Hp and gets destroyed by Giratina. Trust me, unless you build some super consistent list that no one has thought of, then Regice is better imo :)

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
When Breakthrough came out, this was the first deck I built. The problem is it only has 90 Hp and gets destroyed by Giratina. Trust me, unless you build some super consistent list that no one has thought of, then Regice is better imo :)

I also built this, another issue I had was how long it took to set up your/their hand with enough items, as well as the issue of 'how many items do you have in a deck that runs around not using items once vileplume is out?'. It seems like it's either a case of relying on your opponent having lots of items, or relying on not needing to use the items and hoping they go for the KO on vileplume.

A nice bud to run with Noctowl is of course Miltank though, and I found a good tactic is to get out your Miltanks early and attempt to build up a good size hand of items and your Noctowls on the bench in that time. I think with the right BREAK it could be a viable deck though.

Yog

Rogue
I am wondering how much of a boost Vileplume gets with Manaphy-Ex on the bench. Free retreat for a playable water energy instead of an item locked float stone. Of course water energy works just fine with Regice and Miltank (or even the Noctowl some mention).

It's clunky and always will be, but I've actually been toying with Ludicolo just because I like the mon. Plus the new Delinquent synergises well with his first attack if you've yet to attach enough energy for splash dance.

henriquez1m

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everybody, this is the decklist that i'm testing.

Pokémon: 19
  • 3 Vileplume (AOR 3)
  • 3 Gloom (AOR 2)
  • 3 Oddish (AOR 1)
  • 3 Regice (AOR 24)
  • 2 Miltank (FLF 83)
  • 3 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
  • 2 Manaphy-EX (BKP 116)
Trainers: 31
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 AZ
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 1 Red Card
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
Energy: 10
  • 6 Water Energy

Damien Newell

Aspiring Trainer
Hey, I am pretty new to the Pokémon tcg and looking at building my first deck. I really like the way the Irritating pollen Vileplume plays in standard. Item locking to slow down the game. I have seen a few skeleton deck lists to help play this evolution line. But I am looking for a Pokémon that I can set up with and start dealing damage. I have seen things like mega sceptile and giritinaex but I am wondering what other partners are viable. I have been trying to find a way to make venusaur ex from generations work but I feel it may be too slow even with item lock. Is there any Grass Energy acceleration? Is it doable to run the venusaur ex from generations and mega sceptile? Or would that be too clunky? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Vespiquen/Vileplume is a popular competitive variant. Other partners include Miltank (FLF), Regice (AOR), and my personal favourite, Noctowl (Breakthrough).

I think that with Vileplume, you don't want to run any Pokemon that require energy acceleration, because that requires drawing into pieces of the acceleration engine - usually with items. So you want something that you can attach a DCE or one or two Energy to and then start attacking.

Aeter

Aspiring Trainer
The deck auto-loses to Aegislash. In order to prevent this you could tech a Toxicroak-EX.

freedom8901

Aspiring Trainer
Guys I have been trying out a Noctowl BREAK/Vileplume deck, my deck list as below:

Pokémon: 21
  • 2 Vileplume (AOR 3)
  • 2 Gloom (AOR 2)
  • 2 Oddish (AOR 1)
  • 3 Noctowl BREAK (XY Promo 136)
  • 3 Noctowl (BKT 120)
  • 4 Hoothoot (BKT 119)
  • 3 Manectric EX (PHF 23)
  • 2 M Manectric EX (PHF 24)
Trainers: 30
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Fisherman
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Psychic Third Eye
  • 3 Tierno
  • 3 Acro Bike
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 2 Manectric's Spirit
  • 3 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy: 9
  • 6 Lighting Energy
  • 3 Double Colorless Energy
I tried it for few matches but is a bit clunky and slow, any suggestions to make it more competitive?