Discussion Dragonite EX Viable in Expanded?

thedemonbarber

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, I was just, as usual, thinking about a cool way to use dragonite, because I really want to make it work, and I was thinking about expanded these days and was thinking about combining scoop ups, virizion ex, ampharos ex, and dragonite ex. Any thoughts on that? Any general thoughts on ways to make dragonite work, because I am always interested

Hey guys, I was just, as usual, thinking about a cool way to use dragonite, because I really want to make it work, and I was thinking about expanded these days and was thinking about combining scoop ups, virizion ex, ampharos ex, and dragonite ex. Any thoughts on that? Any general thoughts on ways to make dragonite work, because I am always interested
I remember something along the lines of MManectric-EX/Virizion-EX/Dragonite-EX doing well at some UK tournament around the time of Phantom Force's US release.

I played Dragonite-EX/Manectric-EX for about 6 months this year. It was a good deck that used to catch people off guard. I stopped playing it because Jirachi-EX, Tropius and Virizion-EX were so important to the strategy that, without them, it's too hard to power something up and keep scooping my Dragonites up. The prize denial with this deck is amazing, I must say, but it had a hard time against OHKOs.
I wasn't able to get my hands on a Shaymin, so... Maybe it still works.

So Dragonite-EX looses a two main cards that could make it better in standard I feel.

1. Float Stone - A must for this card in my opinion if played as a tech.
2. Virizion EX - Great for preventing status effects.

It could still be played as AZ/Scoop Up as a similar effect, but you're then losing energy on the field which is not good if you're using AZ. I feel like Dragonite EX would be best in Fairy Decks as of right now with Aromatisse to Fairy Transfer energy around before you scoop it up. It's attack is a mere 140 at best and shouldn't really be used very often because it requires discard.

Overall, it's a very techy and situational card and is best in specific builds that prove to be able to utilize it very well as a tech and not an attacker.

Back