'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Shiny Xard

'Cuz why not.
The Japanese Pokémon twitter account has also released a cleaner version of Marowak and Marowak BREAK for those who want to take a bit of a better look at it.

As a collector, I'm really not impressed with the BREAK cards at all, sadly. I'm still hoping they'll look better in person (FAs, for example, are much, much cooler in person than in image/scan form), but not holding my break at this point.
Same here. I'm not a collector, but I am a player. So far, I'm very unimpressed with the artwork in the set. So far, the only good artworks seem to be the 2 Megas that aren't Mewtwo.

From both a playabilitiy and a collector's point of view, I can safely and officially say that this set is TERRIBLE in both categories. Really, the only thing standing out is the fact it has over 160 cards.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer. I do like some of the regular card arts this set. The Gengar line is adorable, as are Chespin, Octillery, Simipour, Mismagius, Piloswine, Red Flash Zorua, etc. and there are other cards that are cool (not really cute, but still nice art) like Typhosion. I'm not usually a fan of EX/M-EX art, but Houndoom EX isn't bad and M-Glalie EX is at least hilarious.

BUT... the BREAK cards are notoriously unimpressive. The solid gold 3D models are boring and the holo effect is ugly. The card design isn't really stellar either. And because all of these things are true of the BREAK cards as a group and not specific cards, I'm kind of disappointed in general about the whole mechanic and that it's probably going to be in play at least for a few sets, if not for this entire era.

My biggest fear right now is that they'll be getting rid of FAs (or even just making less of them) to account for the new special cards that we're getting. ._.; Honestly, if that happens, I'll probably take a break from collecting Pokémon until they move on to something better. But I can put up with the crappy BREAKs as long as I get my FAs.

Videoland

Aspiring Trainer
The Japanese Pokémon twitter account has also released a cleaner version of Marowak and Marowak BREAK for those who want to take a bit of a better look at it.

As a collector, I'm really not impressed with the BREAK cards at all, sadly. I'm still hoping they'll look better in person (FAs, for example, are much, much cooler in person than in image/scan form), but not holding my break at this point.

I definetely agree, I don't like the BREAK cards at all! I liked the ancient trait better even if they would've looked way better without the yellow border. Was hoping we would get a Pikachu and Charizard Ancient trait first =/

The BREAK cards just don't look good and won't offer much variety since they are all gold.

redsky22

Aspiring Trainer
I hate the Pokemon tools that require Special Energy. Not many people use them as they aren't too playable, so why even bother?

The 40 damage less is nice, but it'd be hard to use properly.

Really you do know double colorless energy is a special energy right?

when are we going to get a card to reshuffle special energy in to the deck.

FlippersMCgee

Aspiring Trainer
Personally, I don't mind either way about the Break cards. I haven't judged them on their looks as cards look different in person and I don't want to mis judge, and I feel it brings another depth into non ex decks.

SaiScott95

TCG Fanboy
I'm sitting here laughing at the "too situational" comments here.

Vespiquen
Night March
Seismitoad (LOL BYE)
ShayQuaza
Raichu
Dragon Mega Rayquaza-EX
Medicham.dek
Lucario-EX.dek
Machamp-EX/Ariados
Primal Groudon-EX
Giratina-EX
M Tyranitar-EX
Camerupt-EX
M Houndoom-EX
Marowak BREAK
Yveltal-EX

All of these decks, and some unpopular ones (like Dugtrio and some others) use (or will use) DCE, DDE, Strong Energy, or Burning Energy.

I hate to be a butt about this and I'm really sorry that I'm going to do it, but some people really should think before they speak. This is a competitive game. Thinking should be a skill we all have.

This honestly killed my mood to go into the potential this card has. Was actually excited. But I'll save it for later or another day :/

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
I can't have been the only one who thought the thumbnail looked like an Alakazam.
...right?
Plz guys, I don't want to look crazy

Spiffo

Aspiring Trainer
The point he was making is that Marowak BREAK uses information from the Marowak it evolved from. However, if you use Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick (will refer to as MHBT from now on), then it didn't evolve from anything. This would mean it has no weakness, no resistance, no retreat cost, and only one attack.

The rule printed on the BREAK cards only states it uses information from the base form. It never states that there MUST be a base form. This means that (as far as I'm aware), unless the rulebook gets changed when BREAK is released, nothing is stopping MHBT from working.

Only time will tell.

They'll almost certainly clarify that you can't Maxie or Archie up a BREAK pokemon, and that there needs to be a card under it.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I can't have been the only one who thought the thumbnail looked like an Alakazam.
...right?
Plz guys, I don't want to look crazy

I definitely thought that at first when I saw the image on the PB twitter/FB feed on the side of the page. My first thought was "Why are they making an Alakazam break instead of an EX/M-EX combo?!" Then I saw the actual news story.

So, it means one of two things:

1) Neither of us are crazy.
2) We're both crazy.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
What happens is a lot of gen 1 pokémon are very similar... so I think it's normal for people to confuse them sometimes when not having a proper look at the card... Although I didn't think it was an Alakazam, simply because I saw a Fighting-type card...

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
I really like this card. It's good against Vespiquen and if you have a Pokemon with Theta Double, you could reduce 80 damage from special attackers!

pkolaboy

Tyranitar be taunting'
What exactly does the writing say at the top left of the Break cards? Does it say "Break evolves from ..." or does it just say "Breaks from ...". If it is a new mechanic then imo I do not think cards such as Wally and Evosoda will have an effect on Break cards. I can see Chesnaught Break working only because of FGP stadium allowing it to speed evolve to the stage 2 just before Break. I also believe that there will be some type of supporting cards for Break that will allow you to somewhat have synergy.

Purrloin

I'm liking the Assault Vest. There's still plenty of people running Strong Energy and Mystery Energy (including me), and when was the last time anyone went five minutes without seeing a DCE?

Also I like how, while Toad can still lock, its damage is totally negated. Even with a muscle band it'll only do 10. Multi-type Aromatisse decks are also hurt pretty hard, if not completely killed.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
The part behind the face or skull is the tail? It looks like Marowak Breaks arm is carved in?

Chesnaught break is the best one in terms of art for me so far. Although not a big fan of break and the orientation of the way the card is to be played and drawn Electric and gold doesn't make sense, especiallay since most of them are not electric.

Last edited: