Discussion XY-On M Sceptile EX / Dusknoir....Wait...What?! (Shadow Saber)

SpartanV209

Aspiring Trainer
So i came across what i think is a very viable strategy after rotation....
XY7_EN_8.png
With....
XY2_EN_40.png

So the deck is based around the idea of Jagged Saber in combination with Shadow Void to remove all damage efficiently in addition to other cards that will supplement this strategy. I do not have the cards irl or on tcgo so there is no deck list yet, but i have been working towards one. Lets discuss its Strengths, Weaknesses, Strategy, Viable Additions, and overall constructive criticism of "Shadow Saber".

Strengths - Obviously the manipulation of damage. 2 energy attack is great for speed yet allows you to build up reserves.

Weaknesses - Being vulnerable to Catcher Like Moves and Lysandre. High retreat cost for Dusknoir. Pokemon Powers that shut out EX pokemon. I believe the decks that would give it most fits are Fire Type Variants, M Rayquaza (Col), Night March and Vespequeen Variants.

Strategy - Overall i see "Shadow Saber" being supported well in a "control" like deck. Adding disruption cards (E. Hammer, TFG, etc.) and survival cards (Az, Switch, etc.) you could set up effectively while slowing them down. Overall being 1 shotted is what you want to prevent the most. Cards like Seismitoad and Vileplume(AO) can really slow the opponent down against Fire Type or Night March since utilizing items to get fire energy and pokemon in the discard will be prevented. Also winning the gym war against M Rayquaza can make the different of getting 1 shotted.

Viable Additions - Gonna list what i think has potential and not completely obvious like Shaymin EX, P.Sycamore, etc.
Pokemon - Hoopa EX, Seismitoad EX, Vileplume, Lugia EX

Trainers - Silence Lab, Training Center, Rough Seas(Seismitoad), Mountain Ring, Lucky Helmet,

Energy - im pretty sure 4 grass, 4 dce, and 4 Herbal energy is a good starting point.

I really want to run this deck. I think it can take complete control of games. Even if they happen to shut down Dusknoir and get all 3/4 you have you are still light years ahead on the offensive front. Seismitoad is a automatic because you cover TWO areas. 1 - your weakness to fire and 2 - apply control to setup. I would not play Forest of Giant Plants because of the Sceptile Item Link. However it allows you to add gyms like Training Center for Dusnkoir (+20hp) or Silence Lab (for Pokemon Power: Shut Down EX Pokemon). Cards like Shauna or Birch accompanied but what i think is a power card in this deck "Lucky Helmet". Allows you to stay stocked up on everything and never have to worry about being decked at the same time, exactly what a control deck wants.

I think there is 2 ways you can approach the deck. That being with the Item Trainer engine(Arco Bike, Trainer Mail, etc.) or go the route with more Supporters and focus on getting Seismitoad or Vileplume on your bench asap make them play your game. Honestly i would love to hear what you guys have to say. Appreciate the feedback and i hope me and many others can identify and create this as something to be reckoned with.
The Day of "Shadow Saber" is Here....

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I really, really like the idea, but I'm concerned about the way you're wanting to do it. With two lots of evolutions your deck is going to be pretty clunky right from the outset, which you really need to be minimising. This means that you will want to run a single Stadium, not multiple. If you're looking for a consistent deck under lock you are going to need a less item-based engine. And you need a much more consistent Energy line. Herbal Energy actually doesn't count as [G] in your hand, so you can't use it in the first place. DCE is only usable by Seismitoad, thus making me think it's a bit of wasted space.

I'd personally add a couple of [P] Energy to make use of Dusknoir's attack, especially since you're already attaching [G] Energy to it in the first place. I'd also run things like Super Scoop Up and Cassius to pick up Dusknoir that have a lot of dead [G] Energy on it and effectively recycle it. I'll probably drop a decklist a bit later on. EDIT: You could also try using Dragonite-EX.

SpartanV209

Aspiring Trainer
I really, really like the idea, but I'm concerned about the way you're wanting to do it. With two lots of evolutions your deck is going to be pretty clunky right from the outset, which you really need to be minimising. This means that you will want to run a single Stadium, not multiple. If you're looking for a consistent deck under lock you are going to need a less item-based engine. And you need a much more consistent Energy line. Herbal Energy actually doesn't count as [G] in your hand, so you can't use it in the first place. DCE is only usable by Seismitoad, thus making me think it's a bit of wasted space.

I'd personally add a couple of [P] Energy to make use of Dusknoir's attack, especially since you're already attaching [G] Energy to it in the first place. I'd also run things like Super Scoop Up and Cassius to pick up Dusknoir that have a lot of dead [G] Energy on it and effectively recycle it. I'll probably drop a decklist a bit later on. EDIT: You could also try using Dragonite-EX.
I agree completely. Consistency is key. The more i think about it Hoopa EX is so important. Instantly gets Sceptile and you can fish with Shaymin. Something like 3-3 Dusknoir / 3-3 M Sceptile with Shaymin/Seismitoad/Hoopa EX. Too much with Vileplume. i think running 2 Giant Forest and 2 Silence Lab is what i would do. Again Consistency with the forest and lab covers a big weakness. Ya i agree i wouldnt run the Item Trainer Engine either and i believe you can accomplish what u need to with Lucky Helmet and Supporters. Love the idea of Cassius and SSU, seriously any pick up cards have a place. I think one focus i neglected was a way or process in which you can get those energies back into your hand for additional usage for Shadow Saber. Herbal is terrible now that i think about it. Only helps Sceptile and he doesnt need the help from it. More grass is a must but i do think there is room for Rainbow Energy. Addition of Rainbow Energy helps Sceptile, Seismitoad, and Dusknoir if need be. Probably would have to go something like 3 DCE 3 RE and rest grass energy.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The main problem is that Rainbow Energy also does not count as [G] Energy in your hand, meaning you can't Saber it onto a Pokemon, limiting its uses. Anyways, heres my list (which can be directly inserted into PTCGO!):

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 14

3 M Sceptile-EX AOR 8
3 Sceptile-EX AOR 7
3 Duskull FLF 38
2 Dusclops FLF 39
2 Dusknoir FLF 40
1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

Trainer Cards - 36

4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
1 Cassius XY 115
2 Energy Recycler AOR 72
2 Energy Retrieval PRC 126
1 Escape Rope PRC 127
1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
2 Level Ball AOR 76
1 Lysandre FLF 90
1 Mega Turbo ROS 86
2 Professor's Letter XY 123
2 Rare Candy PRC 135
3 Sceptile Spirit Link AOR 80
3 Shauna XY 127
2 Shrine of Memories PRC 139
1 Switch ROS 91
3 Ultra Ball ROS 93
1 Wally ROS 94

Energy - 10

8 Grass Energy XY 132
2 Rainbow Energy XY 131

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******
It's definitely not perfect, but I've tried to make it fairly consistent; i.e. it certainly needs testing (what cards are often dead? Energy Retriever/Recyclers? Hex Maniac? Level Ball?).

Rakkis157

Aspiring Trainer
I'd personally add a couple of [P] Energy to make use of Dusknoir's attack, especially since you're already attaching [G] Energy to it in the first place.

Brilliant! it just so happens that Dusknoir does enough damage to take out a certain popular Bench sitter.

Rakkis157

Aspiring Trainer
I've done a little digging around, and I feel that this deck is needing of one card; Heavy Boots or Giant Cape, whichever comes first. Reason being is that it, with Training Center, ups Dusknoir's HP just enough to snipe down a 170 HP EX, be it something like Giratina EX or Hoopa EX etc.

SpartanV209

Aspiring Trainer
Here is the decklist i have created and have begun testing with. I would like feedback and criticism based off my deck list as well as your own results. Thank You and good luck!

POKEMON 14

2-2 M Sceptile
2-2 Dusknoir
2 Shaymin EX
1 Hoopa EX
3 Seismitoad EX

TRAINERS 32

4 Ultra Ball
4 Acro Bike
4 Trainer Mail
3 Battle Compressor
3 VS Seeker
2 Professor Sycamore
2 Giant Forest
2 Lucky Helmet
2 Escape Rope
2 Rare Candy
1 Az
1 Lysandre
1 Shauna
1 Hex Maniac

ENERGY 14

3 DCE
3 RE
8 Grass Energy

Last edited:

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
Energy Switch could help get another Pokemon powered up when you have a reserve on Dusknoir.

This latest list doesn't have a way to get Dusknoir out. There are no rare candy and no Dusclops.