Discussion Most Broken Pokemon Cards

So your argument is that EXs should be banned, just as Sneasel and Slowking were? I'm very confused.

No, but I understand how it could be perceived that way. I'm saying that the cards that have been banned because they shouldn't be allowed to play; but EXs should be allowed to played. They simply change the way Pokemon is supposed to be played, but allowed to be played.

No, but I understand how it could be perceived that way. I'm saying that the cards that have been banned because they shouldn't be allowed to play; but EXs should be allowed to played. They simply change the way Pokemon is supposed to be played, but allowed to be played.

All cards change the game, that's a given. A broken card however changes the game in a direction that is unhealthy. The game is resilient; it can hold (and is holding) a lot of broken cards and would still not break. But that does not mean that it should.

Pokemon-EXs break the game

You have yet to substantiate this claim and there are multiple posts from before you jumped in that seek to demonstrate otherwise. It however a widely held opinion. Would you like to put forth a more substantial argument? Otherwise it leaves me with more of a "No they're not." response and we could go back and forth like that until the moderators realized we were just spamming up the thread. ;)

Just to be clear, I do believe certain Pokémon-EX are broken; many are not and some are under powered. Even when looking at many which are successful, it seems less like they are causing an imbalance and more like certain other cards are overpowered. I say this because
  1. You can clearly see certain others cards enabling broken decks/combos and without said cards, Pokémon-EX wouldn't seem remotely overpowered.
  2. When you look at some of the cards failing to compete with Pokémon-EX, you see a pattern of how other cards either undermine them or fail to provide adequate support.
A great example of this is how Evolutions often have lackluster lower Stages, so instead of a Stage 2 simply being a rewarding three card combo, it is instead a single potent card with two additional cards worth of cost (and if one of those isn't Rare Candy, two additional turns of prep time). With regards to the Pokémon-EX that seem overly powerful but likely aren't, there are elements (often ones that are recent or relatively recent re-introductions to the TCG) that enable them to perform far too well. Look at just about any Pokémon-EX with an attack that requires [CC] in it, whether it be Mewtwo-EX and X-Ball, Seismitoad-EX and Quaking Punch or Yveltal-EX and Y Cyclone: Double Colorless Energy makes such an attack accessible a turn sooner without any additional requirement but to run Double Colorless Energy. There are other Energy acceleration options, but the big thing is that easy acceleration is a problem all around (be it "deck acceleration", "Evolution acceleration", "Energy acceleration", etc.). Losing Double Colorless Energy wouldn't automatically balance out such cards, but it would significantly diminish them.

Some big, Basic Pokémon have attacks or Abilities that do break them, Pokémon-EX or otherwise. One of the big issues is when they can hit hard right away (one of the reasons for the current first turn rules). Combine this with the lower Stages of Evolution rarely being useful and you get both important time and space saving by using a Basic Pokémon (yet again, regardless of whether it is a Pokémon-EX or not). Also, Mega Evolutions are still new enough I am having a hard time analyzing them, but for the most part I think they are problematic; difficult to properly balance out.

After some play testing I think the new Hoopa EX is close to being broken, I'm using it in my Giritina/Vileplume deck and it almost always allows me to get my full EX line up into play on turn one as well as my full Vileplume line. The reason being it lets you grab a Giritina EX (if you didn't start with one) and two shamans, or a Giritina, Shaymin and back up attacker (I'm testing the new Lugia EX) or a Hydreigon on turn one.

Basically if you can get an ultra ball on turn one you can garuntee a set up due to supporter and one or two shaymins. Then when you have that all nice and locked down you can just sit back and pound away and you don't have to worry about drawing loads of stuff. Especially if you can keep an AZ in your hand and discard a lysandre and teammates or something to VS seeker back later.

I'm going to be trying it out in my fiancée's fairy deck soon as I think it would be a good fit, Shaymin + Gardy + M Gardy on turn one with an ultra ball.

Overall it's one of those enabler cards which seems to fit into any EX based deck. Of course in today's modern super fast super efficient play style these cards are often seen as being very good to broken status.

TL;DR Hoopa turns a turn one ultra ball into a mass of setting up any EX's you could possibly want including the possibility of snowballing multiple Shaymins on turn one.

@Draaka

Seems like a reasonable case; my main question is what happens if Shaymin-EX isn't there? I don't mean them being "Prized" or all in play, but how would Hoopa-EX affect things if it didn't fetch a source of draw power from your deck. Shaymin-EX was here first so it seems foolish that Hoopa-EX was released as is (well, at least if you view game balance the same way I do), but had things happened the other way around, Hoopa-EX might not be so bad... or maybe it would be with how many potent Pokémon-EX are performing so phenomenally.

Hoopa and shaymin in the same format is riding the borderline of brokeness. I don't think it matters which one came first, if it had been the other way around Hoopa would have merely been a "Good" to "Great" set up tool. But with both it's (in my opinion) "Phenomenal tier 1 level"

But of course it is an EX mechanic, and break looks to take the spot from EX's. So unless we see break and EX's being printed in the same set (neither confirmed or denied yet although from someone who has studied games design I think break will be a full replacement of EX mechanic) Hoopa is a great way to finish off the mechanic on a high note, "here have the best EX supplement we could come up with for the last three or four months of EX viability" - Pokemon game developers probably.

Also while i'm no extended master from my little experience it's maybe a little less broken in extended where there are less EX focused decks, so they might have taken the format shift for regionals into account as regionals will be nearing a half way point or more when the Break mechanic hits. So again if they are doing away with EX then Hoopas impact in regionals is minimised.

It's crazy late where I'm posting from and I really should be sleeping so sorry if that didn't make exact sense. It does to me atm but my sleep meds are kicking in.

Hoopa and shaymin in the same format is riding the borderline of brokeness. I don't think it matters which one came first, if it had been the other way around Hoopa would have merely been a "Good" to "Great" set up tool. But with both it's (in my opinion) "Phenomenal tier 1 level"

But of course it is an EX mechanic, and break looks to take the spot from EX's. So unless we see break and EX's being printed in the same set (neither confirmed or denied yet although from someone who has studied games design I think break will be a full replacement of EX mechanic) Hoopa is a great way to finish off the mechanic on a high note, "here have the best EX supplement we could come up with for the last three or four months of EX viability" - Pokemon game developers probably.

Also while i'm no extended master from my little experience it's maybe a little less broken in extended where there are less EX focused decks, so they might have taken the format shift for regionals into account as regionals will be nearing a half way point or more when the Break mechanic hits. So again if they are doing away with EX then Hoopas impact in regionals is minimised.

It's crazy late where I'm posting from and I really should be sleeping so sorry if that didn't make exact sense. It does to me atm but my sleep meds are kicking in.
In cases you haven't been paying attention to the front page Glalie and M-Glalie EX were confirmed to come out in XY8 along with the Break evolutions

I hadn't seen that, thanks Chex076. I will look it up now. Glad we aren't loosing EX's for now. Bet you Hoopa hits £15 a card before nationals starts.

I hadn't seen that, thanks Chex076. I will look it up now. Glad we aren't loosing EX's for now. Bet you Hoopa hits £15 a card before nationals starts.

And don't forget mewtwo and mega mewtwo x and y ex's.
EX's aren't going away for awhile lol

To me, the game has become less & less fun with every set released & the constant going overboard with the new cards. It is so much about speed & mega-damage now, really has stolen most of the enjoyment of a game, hardly ever have a good, long, close battle anymore (always the most enjoyable kind).
Dude, the game's about speed right now? Maybe it's because I've played the most during DP and HS era, but right now this game feels like a lazy Slowpoke. Back then if you played a deck running around S2 Pokemon and you didn't have three of these on T1 on board, you were way too slow. Back then if you played SP Pokemon and you weren't all set up T0 you were wrecked. If you played a deck staying alive thanks to slowing down an opponent (VileGar), T1 Vileplume was an essential. Back then 20% of the games were ending with a DONK. I remember digging through a whole deck T1 with Pokedex Handy, Professor Oak's New Theory, Junk Arm, Pokedrawer, Uxie, Claydol and grabbing up loads of good stuff with Roseanne's Research and/or Pokemon Collector, going with two supporters a turn thanks to Porygon2 (possibly Great Encounters, Secret Wonders or Majestic Dawn one). The setup was really comfortable and not depending on what you're getting from Sycamore/Juniper after you use it, it was way more skill-intensive. Sure these games were more close, but they were also 3x quicker.
Not to mention good old days when Bill and Oak were regular Trainers and you could've used 4 Sycamores a turn.
Right now I can't see any broken cards in format. Ancient Origins Sceptile looks absolutely crazy and damn sure is worth mastering, but that's about it for me. I remember though that the most broken card I've ever encountered while playing was Reshiram BW. Literally everyone hated him where I played, because everyone witnessed getting their cards whipped while I played Blue Flare each turn on repeat KOing everything they had in one hit. Another card that broke the entire format was Pokemon Catcher in his original Gust of Wind printing, the day after release anyone who wanted to have any chance bought four of these.
A card that certainly wasn't broken, but because of the amount of cards it supported was HUGE was Cyrus's Conspiracy. You just bring the TGI trainer you want (Power Spray, PokeTurn, whatever else you needed), a basic energy to feed your Toxicroak/Luxray/Garchomp, and another Cyrus's Conspiracy to repeat it. Luxray GL Lv.X wasn't broken too, but with loads of SP-stuff it became for its days.
I disagree with BTS being broken. It was strong, but wasn't ever broken. Back then Rare Candy could've been used on the turn the Pokemon was put into play, and because of the trend to cut decks most players run 1-0-1 lines instead of 1-1-1 BTS lines if they needed a tech. BTS was a great card for many decks, but for a certain amount of them it wasn't good enough to beat Rare Candy. Don't know how it is right now in Unlimited.
Another card that put its times upside down was Pidgeot FRLG. No need to explain that. In any format such card would be bonkers.
And the last one I want to mention is Lost Zone. When it was released, players started to panic that the game is over, and that LostGar is going to win games on T3 on its own, without luck. Didn't happen, but still the card was quite sick.
Still the most broken card ever - Professor Oak Base Set when he was a regular Trainer. He was doing WAY too much.

imo there is no broken card, there is broken combinations that offer a level of what seems like broken synergy, shaymin/acrobike/trainers mail, exeggcutor/vileplume, etc. but a card is not broken if played by itself against another single card that can counter it, on top of having a limited deck size and a limited amount of times you can play x card means that you run the risk of limiting the number of cards you can use in total making it possible to lose even if you have a broken card doesn't mean you have a broken strategy. So for everyone out there defending the right of saying that there is nothing broken in this game because we have x cards that counters x cards keep it coming because if feel like your right. For those that feel like some strategies are hopelessly broken, I think you should just have fun with the card game and not play competitively, why because the actual card is only as good as the player.

To be honest the format as far as I can see it is the healthiest it has been in the two years since I started playing again after many years away from the game, since the Trump Card ban there have been a HUGE amount of viable decks, many of which are not focused around EX's and have the ability to walk all over said EX's (raichu/bats, flareon and now vespiquen, night march although it has Mew-EX I guess). I include the non EX decks because I find people saying "EX's are broken" to be silly, non EX decks end up with a huge advantage because who cares if an EX's is more powerful than your non EX? So long as two of your evolutions can take out one EX you're likely to be in the lead, that two prize loss will always balance the game out. The only one I find has caused some unhealthiness is Seismitoad, simply because it has reduced the viability of stage two decks because it is so hard to make use of Rare Candy. I sometimes find myself wishing the energy cost was WC instead of CC to give a turn of set up for stage two decks to lay down their Rare Candy's before item lock nerfs the deck. Even then however there are still some stage two's that make it into play in decks, and broken vine space promises to have some creative new grass stage 2 decks.

Stepping way from the "EX's are broken" part of the topic though the only one thing I have found broken is Shiftry/GPF, it just takes all fun out of the games and in expanded on TCGO every other deck I come across is one, laying down its entire deck and shuffling all my pokemon back in while i sit there for 10 minutes and go "well this is pointless", and even that isn't broken in reality since it will never win a single tournament, it is horrendously inconsistent and is not far off an auto loss if it goes second assuming their opponent understands what deck is being played.

But no, cards are not broken, I have found them very balanced, Metal Ray is speedy and can be teriffying but with those low HP bench sitters waiting to be sniped can be picked apart, and if they can't keep hitting their skyfields the damage output doesnt quite reach high enough. Shaymin helps to draw, but since LTC banning it can't be abused and is a liability on the bench with Lysandre in the format. Seismitoad is irritating and locks down a whole portion of peoples decks but is woefully low on damage output and can get rolled so long as you can keep a few energy attachments on your pokemon to hit big enough damage, or cause sleep/paralyze/confusion since the high retreat cost will send them digging for a switch over and over. Hoopa is a spot on the bench that could be better filled with a useful pokemon, and getting 3 pokemon ex is not relevant to a lot of decks or worth the space in the deck or the bench so will never be that OP, and with a 2 retreat cost will send people digging for switch again if lysandre'd and can put them in a tricky spot since it is useless offensively and lacks shaymins ability to return to the hand.
I could go on and on but I'll leave it there, every card that people call "broken" has a counter and so long as you learn how to play with those cards in the format they suddenly seem a whole lot less broken...

imo there is no broken card, there is broken combinations that offer a level of what seems like broken synergy, shaymin/acrobike/trainers mail, exeggcutor/vileplume, etc. but a card is not broken if played by itself against another single card that can counter it, on top of having a limited deck size and a limited amount of times you can play x card means that you run the risk of limiting the number of cards you can use in total making it possible to lose even if you have a broken card doesn't mean you have a broken strategy. So for everyone out there defending the right of saying that there is nothing broken in this game because we have x cards that counters x cards keep it coming because if feel like your right. For those that feel like some strategies are hopelessly broken, I think you should just have fun with the card game and not play competitively, why because the actual card is only as good as the player.

I can't really agree with you on this. I mean, I can agree that many cards like, for starters, Seismitoad EX, aren't really broken, but have a good, solid strategy behind them. However, once you dig much, much deeper, going beyond the face value of things, you would find that there are cards which are indeed broken. Double Colorless Energy is one of the biggest, Hypnotoxic Laser is another. Muscle Band and Strong Energy are fairly broken, and Shaymin EX is straddling the line at best (having gone over it when LTC was still around), if not over it. Yes, we have a lot less broken cards out there, but they are still there. We can ignore them, or we can take a look at them and learn from them.

Also, just having a counter or two or ten doesn't make a card balanced. If it dissolves the format to the point where you either run it, or run a counter for it with no middle ground at all, then there is something wrong. Something is just not balanced. Luckily, this does not occur too often, but it did occur only just recently. Lysandre's Trump Card was banned because as tolerant as TPC is of broken cards, as resilient the game against the presence of broken cards, LTC did indeed break things. It dissolved the format to ToadMin or its counters until they had to step in and ban it.

Limited deck space doesn't really back up your point. If anything, it weakens it. Why? Because we can run the counter to something that is broken, but in the end we have limited space to run them. Because in the end, all counters which are techs rather than a central strategy serves to make a deck less consistent, which end up hurting a decks ability to perform. In a format with lots of broken cards, many decks end up dying outright because they can't survive with so many broken cards around, especially those with no real counter. The best precedence for this is probably Base Set era, where we had a grand total of 3 viable decks, being Haymaker variants, Do the Wave variants and Rain Dance variants. Hardly a healthy format.

Playing competitively does require you to put aside your feelings and use what wins. Yes, I agree with you. What I cannot agree is with the notion that if something indeed is broken, you can't discuss it. You should be able to, even if you do play competitvely, or only on PTCGO, or casually with friends and family.

To be honest the format as far as I can see it is the healthiest it has been in the two years since I started playing again after many years away from the game, since the Trump Card ban there have been a HUGE amount of viable decks, many of which are not focused around EX's and have the ability to walk all over said EX's (raichu/bats, flareon and now vespiquen, night march although it has Mew-EX I guess). I include the non EX decks because I find people saying "EX's are broken" to be silly, non EX decks end up with a huge advantage because who cares if an EX's is more powerful than your non EX? So long as two of your evolutions can take out one EX you're likely to be in the lead, that two prize loss will always balance the game out. The only one I find has caused some unhealthiness is Seismitoad, simply because it has reduced the viability of stage two decks because it is so hard to make use of Rare Candy. I sometimes find myself wishing the energy cost was WC instead of CC to give a turn of set up for stage two decks to lay down their Rare Candy's before item lock nerfs the deck. Even then however there are still some stage two's that make it into play in decks, and broken vine space promises to have some creative new grass stage 2 decks.

Stepping way from the "EX's are broken" part of the topic though the only one thing I have found broken is Shiftry/GPF, it just takes all fun out of the games and in expanded on TCGO every other deck I come across is one, laying down its entire deck and shuffling all my pokemon back in while i sit there for 10 minutes and go "well this is pointless", and even that isn't broken in reality since it will never win a single tournament, it is horrendously inconsistent and is not far off an auto loss if it goes second assuming their opponent understands what deck is being played.

But no, cards are not broken, I have found them very balanced, Metal Ray is speedy and can be teriffying but with those low HP bench sitters waiting to be sniped can be picked apart, and if they can't keep hitting their skyfields the damage output doesnt quite reach high enough. Shaymin helps to draw, but since LTC banning it can't be abused and is a liability on the bench with Lysandre in the format. Seismitoad is irritating and locks down a whole portion of peoples decks but is woefully low on damage output and can get rolled so long as you can keep a few energy attachments on your pokemon to hit big enough damage, or cause sleep/paralyze/confusion since the high retreat cost will send them digging for a switch over and over. Hoopa is a spot on the bench that could be better filled with a useful pokemon, and getting 3 pokemon ex is not relevant to a lot of decks or worth the space in the deck or the bench so will never be that OP, and with a 2 retreat cost will send people digging for switch again if lysandre'd and can put them in a tricky spot since it is useless offensively and lacks shaymins ability to return to the hand.
I could go on and on but I'll leave it there, every card that people call "broken" has a counter and so long as you learn how to play with those cards in the format they suddenly seem a whole lot less broken...

I guess it depends on one's definition of 'broken'. For me broken is not the same as format defining, overcentralizing, overpowered, etc. It's more towards the overall health of the game in terms of viability of decks and so on. I do agree with you, that this is one of the more varied formats (considering how relatively few broken cards there are), but it could still be better given how Stage 2s (except Crobat and Klingklang, and a few Archie/Maxie techs) are left in the dust. I agree that EXs are for the most part not broken, because they aren't. They are made broken by all the broken cards sitting around them.

For me one of the most broken cards in the format is DCE, because while +2 Colorless seems innocent enough, the fact is that it makes the game have huge jumps in speed early on, making it harder for the more time requiring cards to cope. It can be said to be one of the main reasons for Stage 2s not being very successful through Seismitoad and a score of other fast attacking Pokemon, and hell, from the very moment it got reprinted bumped off Salamence LVL.X out of ever seeing competitve play (along with some other decks) thanks to Garchomp C being able to power up Dragon Rush in a single turn. DCE is to date the only card in existence to grant 2 energy at the cost of a single deck slot with no other drawback besides the innate weaknesses behind Special Energies as a whole. Every other forms of Energy acceleration needs at least 2 to get you [C][C], or comes with a drawback like reducing the damage you deal, being discarded at the end of your turn or being attach-able to only certain Pokemon. Something like this could work if attacks that cost [C][C] aren't all that good while a lot of decent Pokemon could use it slightly later to power up their bigger attacks (look at Donphan as an example), but right now a lot of cards can do plenty of impact for only those 2 Energy.

Hypnotoxic laser is another card that is fairly broken. With Virbank in play it is a free Triple Pluspower that continues to deal damage going into your turn for +6 damage. Even without Virbank it is a card that can put damage on you without you needing to 'activate' it with an offensive attack, and even comes with a chance to Sleep, to boot. It really hurts lower HP Pokemon, and plus, it is poison damage. Killing with it does not trigger a whole lot of effects like Teammates, Retaliation and Revenge. The biggest problem with this card lies in how accessible it is. For comparison's sake, Ariados, who gives a similar effect, needs a minimum of 2 cards with it being harder to get into play T1, has the drawback of poisoning your non-Grass Pokemon (or not poisoning your opponent's Grass Pokemon), can be Lysandre'd out and does not come with sleep. Outside of the ability to be used continuously or under Item lock, Ariados loses out to Laser or many fronts, especially in speed.

As for Muscle Band and Strong Energy, the problem with them lies in the fact that they let you build out damage too quickly. We all know Landorus EX's famous 100 damage (overall) T1, hitting for 70 active with Band + Strong and 30 to the Bench. While Landorus has its own issues, both Strong Energy and Muscle Band has theirs as well. When we talk about game speed and game pacing, it is necessary to note not just how they are overall, but also how they are at each certain point. Muscle Band and Strong Energy, for the cost of a slot each, makes an attack jump from a damage tier of a 1 Energy attack to something that needs 2 or more Energies. To bring back the Hammerhead example, for 1 Strong and 1 Band you have the damage output of Xerneas EX's Break Through, a 3 Energy attack!

I'll end it here, since I'm pretty exhausted from having to get up at 3am to catch the Worlds live stream.

I guess it depends on one's definition of 'broken'. For me broken is not the same as format defining, overcentralizing, overpowered, etc. It's more towards the overall health of the game in terms of viability of decks and so on. I do agree with you, that this is one of the more varied formats (considering how relatively few broken cards there are), but it could still be better given how Stage 2s (except Crobat and Klingklang, and a few Archie/Maxie techs) are left in the dust. I agree that EXs are for the most part not broken, because they aren't. They are made broken by all the broken cards sitting around them.

For me one of the most broken cards in the format is DCE, because while +2 Colorless seems innocent enough, the fact is that it makes the game have huge jumps in speed early on, making it harder for the more time requiring cards to cope. It can be said to be one of the main reasons for Stage 2s not being very successful through Seismitoad and a score of other fast attacking Pokemon, and hell, from the very moment it got reprinted bumped off Salamence LVL.X out of ever seeing competitve play (along with some other decks) thanks to Garchomp C being able to power up Dragon Rush in a single turn. DCE is to date the only card in existence to grant 2 energy at the cost of a single deck slot with no other drawback besides the innate weaknesses behind Special Energies as a whole. Every other forms of Energy acceleration needs at least 2 to get you [C][C], or comes with a drawback like reducing the damage you deal, being discarded at the end of your turn or being attach-able to only certain Pokemon. Something like this could work if attacks that cost [C][C] aren't all that good while a lot of decent Pokemon could use it slightly later to power up their bigger attacks (look at Donphan as an example), but right now a lot of cards can do plenty of impact for only those 2 Energy.

Hypnotoxic laser is another card that is fairly broken. With Virbank in play it is a free Triple Pluspower that continues to deal damage going into your turn for +6 damage. Even without Virbank it is a card that can put damage on you without you needing to 'activate' it with an offensive attack, and even comes with a chance to Sleep, to boot. It really hurts lower HP Pokemon, and plus, it is poison damage. Killing with it does not trigger a whole lot of effects like Teammates, Retaliation and Revenge. The biggest problem with this card lies in how accessible it is. For comparison's sake, Ariados, who gives a similar effect, needs a minimum of 2 cards with it being harder to get into play T1, has the drawback of poisoning your non-Grass Pokemon (or not poisoning your opponent's Grass Pokemon), can be Lysandre'd out and does not come with sleep. Outside of the ability to be used continuously or under Item lock, Ariados loses out to Laser or many fronts, especially in speed.

As for Muscle Band and Strong Energy, the problem with them lies in the fact that they let you build out damage too quickly. We all know Landorus EX's famous 100 damage (overall) T1, hitting for 70 active with Band + Strong and 30 to the Bench. While Landorus has its own issues, both Strong Energy and Muscle Band has theirs as well. When we talk about game speed and game pacing, it is necessary to note not just how they are overall, but also how they are at each certain point. Muscle Band and Strong Energy, for the cost of a slot each, makes an attack jump from a damage tier of a 1 Energy attack to something that needs 2 or more Energies. To bring back the Hammerhead example, for 1 Strong and 1 Band you have the damage output of Xerneas EX's Break Through, a 3 Energy attack!

I'll end it here, since I'm pretty exhausted from having to get up at 3am to catch the Worlds live stream.

DCE is ballanced out by Enhanced Hammer and Xerosic, I feel in no way that it is broken at all. It has been around since base set, I feel people seem to downplay just how much thought is put into making cards, there is no way a card would stay in print for 15 years almost continuously in the format if it were a broken card.

LaserBanks is the closest I'll come to saying something is broken, I just don't feel like items should be able to deal damage by themselves.

But I disagree with your idea of broken cards, as I have said, this is one of the most varied formats, which means lots of cards are viable, everything has a counter, nothing dominates, that is pretty much the definition of a healthy format and therefore means cards aren't broken,

DCE is ballanced out by Enhanced Hammer and Xerosic, I feel in no way that it is broken at all. It has been around since base set, I feel people seem to downplay just how much thought is put into making cards, there is no way a card would stay in print for 15 years almost continuously in the format if it were a broken card.

LaserBanks is the closest I'll come to saying something is broken, I just don't feel like items should be able to deal damage by themselves.

But I disagree with your idea of broken cards, as I have said, this is one of the most varied formats, which means lots of cards are viable, everything has a counter, nothing dominates, that is pretty much the definition of a healthy format and therefore means cards aren't broken,

One thing to note about broken cards are that they aren't necessarily visible. For starters, Lysandre's Trump Card, the card everybody is now saying as broken. Can anyone here quote 10 people who, prior to the ban, say that it is a broken card and should be banned? You had people saying Bad Toad, Ban Laser, Ban Hammers, Ban Shaymin, Ban Virbank but I did not see someone go Ban LTC until the ban actually hit. Then it did and we saw that the card no one saw as broken was actually the reason a strategy was broken.

About DCE staying in print for 15 years, that's the thing. It didn't. DCE was not around continuously since Base Set. It has been here since HGSS, but prior to that was out of the game since Base Set 2. In short, only 5 out of 15 Standard Formats have had DCE, almost a 10 year gap. Enhanced Hammer and Xerosic counters it, yes, but they can only counter it after it has done its job. This is enough for DCE to push slower Pokemon out of the game, which it has done. Most of the decks that use DCE heavily do not really care as much about Enhanced Hammer at all, particularly Night March and Vespiquen which couldn't expect to survive to the next turn anyways.

Back when Base Set was around DCE was broken. It was just too powerful, and for the next 10 years all other DCE-esque cards had their own drawbacks, like for example Upper Energy which has DCE's effects only if you have more Prizes than your opponent. DCE's reprint coincides with another broken card, Gust of Wind (Catcher). I have no idea what they were thinking when reprinting those cards, but it is worth considering that those two cards hailed from a format notorious for its really, really broken cards.

It is one of the more varied formats, yes, but is there a variety in what is viable? Ideally, it would be best for every kind of cards to be viable, but right now Stage 2s aren't, with few exceptions, and I can't even remember the last time I've seen a successful Stage 2 centered deck outside Klinklang. The biggest problem for them is that matches today are happening too fast for Stage 2s which need time to build up. We've had cases where speed had to be cracked down on, like at the end of the Base Set Era, and the end of the DP Era, where broken cards made the format too fast for it to be sustainable in the long run. While the Base Set era was a very centralized mess of a format, the DP-UD era had a huge amount of variety, yet such a crackdown still happened. That's the thing, how varied a format is does not necessarily indicate the presence, or the lack off, broken cards. All it does is say that 1-2 kind of cards are viable, and that type of card has variety, which is how the current format looks like.

Well, tbh, I really don't think Shaymin is exactly broken. Noone would dare get 25 to 30 cards on their first turn now since the Trump Card ban, or they will highly likely get decked out. Laserbank tbh isn't too broken, it's really the laser flip that makes it a really big nuisance. Actually, I think you're miss-using the term "broken". A card that is broken effectively causes the entire meta game to revolve around it and/or interferes with a win condition or game mechanic making it mostly null. Cards, however, can be powerful, which is what applies to things like Shaymin, Laserbank, Toad etc.
I think Shaymin is broken though... they're not afraid of the Trump Card ban, since they'd knock you out by turn 5 anyways. I've played quite a few of those decks in TCGO, and it is really boring to watch. First turn, they draw, discard, draw, discard, draw, have 20 cards left in the deck, and take up 5 minutes. Turn 2, you're most likely finished. Can't even enjoy a long game anymore, since the only thing I did in the entire game was stare and press end turn, a grand total of 10 seconds of action.

I think Shaymin is broken though... they're not afraid of the Trump Card ban, since they'd knock you out by turn 5 anyways. I've played quite a few of those decks in TCGO, and it is really boring to watch. First turn, they draw, discard, draw, discard, draw, have 20 cards left in the deck, and take up 5 minutes. Turn 2, you're most likely finished. Can't even enjoy a long game anymore, since the only thing I did in the entire game was stare and press end turn, a grand total of 10 seconds of action.

Indeed.

Source: I play mass Shaymins pretty often. That's the thing really, just because you can deck out does not mean that you will deck out. It just means that it takes a little more skill to ensure that you do not deck out.

Indeed.

Source: I play mass Shaymins pretty often. That's the thing really, just because you can deck out does not mean that you will deck out. It just means that it takes a little more skill to ensure that you do not deck out.

Exactly - if you're confident enough to use such a deck, you're probably confident that you won't deck out.

It is one of the more varied formats, yes, but is there a variety in what is viable? Ideally, it would be best for every kind of cards to be viable, but right now Stage 2s aren't, with few exceptions, and I can't even remember the last time I've seen a successful Stage 2 centered deck outside Klinklang. The biggest problem for them is that matches today are happening too fast for Stage 2s which need time to build up. We've had cases where speed had to be cracked down on, like at the end of the Base Set Era, and the end of the DP Era, where broken cards made the format too fast for it to be sustainable in the long run. While the Base Set era was a very centralized mess of a format, the DP-UD era had a huge amount of variety, yet such a crackdown still happened. That's the thing, how varied a format is does not necessarily indicate the presence, or the lack off, broken cards. All it does is say that 1-2 kind of cards are viable, and that type of card has variety, which is how the current format looks like.
They soon will be, with Giant Plant Forest and the like. And the reason for them being too slow was due to the introduction of EX's and Megas; they're not a problem, but if you keep on raising the damage and HP of Megas while reducing drawbacks - and at the same time, with the Stage 2's not receiving such benefits - how can the Stage 2's see play? Even if they do, they're most likely support cards - Vileplume, for instance. Though most basics are already much more well-equipped than they are - Wobbuffet, Shaymin-EX, etc, etc.

Back