'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Octillery draws more cards than Electrode and that card saw a decent amount of play. This can be grabbed by 2 Pokemon Search items without any drawbacks. Remoraid can discard a stadium in any deck running energy, which is one of the better attacks on a prevo support Pokemon I have seen. This may be a victim of the card killing Parallel City, but that doesn't mean it's not a good card.

If Level Ball wasn't reprinted, I'd be sad that we have yet another low-HP Octillery (it has never gone above 90). But 90 + Level Ball makes his ability a bit more useful.

The English print better keep that move name. "Hug", d'awww.

Shaymin is a bit of a liability, being an EX with a tiny amount of health that you only use once (without using Scoop Ups or AZ, etc) that just sits on your bench doing very little for the rest of the game after you use it. It's true that this only lets you draw up to 5, but that's still a decent amount of cards for a once-per-turn effect.

Pros:
  1. only gives 1 prize
  2. can be used turn after turn
  3. searchable via both dive ball and level ball
Cons:
  1. Stage 1
  2. More easily countered by killing Remoraid
  3. one less card than shaymin
  4. takes up more deck space
And I take back my argument on Parallel City from earlier. It will still at least get one effect off before Parallel City is dropped to make you choose which Pokémon to discard, and even then, Octillery is too good to discard. One would rather discard something else.

Also, while I did list more cons than pros, I still say the pros are worth more in the long run. This card's usage will ultimately depend on deck space, in my opinion.

This card sounds quite fun as a Shaymin EX alternative. The things I didn't like about Shaymin was all the consequences of using it:

-2 Prizes is a great burden to me and makes it too easy to lose from a single Lysandre.
-Most often, you'd need to use Ultra Ball to get it out, and this ended up wasting too much resources for my taste just to draw for cards.
-You have to rely on your hand itself in order to get it, and doesn't help when your hand is dry and don't have the cards to get it out.
-I often found that if you put in 2 or more of them in a deck, the bench space wares thin unless you play Sky Field.

Things about Octillery:

-Very easy to get out with Dive/Level Ball
-Draw is consistent every turn once it's out, even if it is 5 cards, and if you're desperate, It looks like it could stack.
-It might have great synergy with the Judge card coming back with this set.
-It could easily get you out of Ace Trainer jams.
-90 HP isn't that great, nor is its attack. But by only giving up 1 prize, it creates a dilemma for the opponent about either using Lysandre to take it out, or the 2 prize EX.

We will have to see how it will work out in this regard... But it looks quite positive for draw support to me.

1. Yes, I'm quite sure AT are gone as they were a ORAS thing and this set is not based on ORAS. Ancient Origins was the last one based on those games, so the ATs are gone, specially because there's a new mechanic now.

2. We've only saw this 2-cards-of-the-same-basic thing (with one being in Blue Impact and the other in Red Flash) on the Pokémon families that got a BREAK card (specifically, Zoroark and Chesnaught). So, does this mean we're getting an Octillery BREAK?

Nevermind, there's no space for that... In that case, I don't get why the 2 remoraids...
On another note: more water cards... what's up with all the water pokémon? They're kinda obsessed with them...

Last edited:
That is... one of the derpiest faces I've ever seen on a non-bootleg Pokémon product.

Bad in terms of attack and artwork. When did Mewtwo - the regular one - have to start punching people? It's Mewtwo, for Arceus' sake.

This Mewtwo must be a HM slave with Rock Smash :cool:

And Photon Wave seems to me "[...] any damage done by attacks from the Defending Pokémon is reduced by 30."

This card is like NXD Mewtwo's evil twin, kept locked in the attic and fed fish heads for the last 3 years until he broke out.

Maybe that's why this set's called Break Through

Very bad designing of the card need to replace the design and from when did mewtwo become so weak on with those attacks x ball is a must attack.

Back