Virizion EX / Genesect EX

That is an interesting idea. Though I don't know if i need to throw even more low hp EX's into the fray.

I have adopted the VirGenTric deck that I'm currently playing. I run a 2-2 Manectric EX/M. Manectric EX with at least one spirit link. M. Manectric's Turbo Bolt only costs 2 energy (1 L, 1C) and deals 110 damage. In the recent leagues I've played I've consistantly gotten a fully charged M. Manectric and started Turbo Bolting my opponent. A little added bonus is that much like Virizion's Emerald Sash, Manectric's Turbo Bolt allows me access to 2 of those lost energy from the discard pile and start powering up the Virizion and Genesect sitting on my bench. This is especially useful when I start hitting people with G Booster and have to discard two of those precious energy. I can play switch, throw out M. Manectric, turbo bolt those two energy back to Genesect and because M. Manectric can retreat for free, I get another G Booster set up for next turn.

The_Docside said:
I have adopted the VirGenTric deck that I'm currently playing. I run a 2-2 Manectric EX/M. Manectric EX with at least one spirit link. M. Manectric's Turbo Bolt only costs 2 energy (1 L, 1C) and deals 110 damage. In the recent leagues I've played I've consistantly gotten a fully charged M. Manectric and started Turbo Bolting my opponent. A little added bonus is that much like Virizion's Emerald Sash, Manectric's Turbo Bolt allows me access to 2 of those lost energy from the discard pile and start powering up the Virizion and Genesect sitting on my bench. This is especially useful when I start hitting people with G Booster and have to discard two of those precious energy. I can play switch, throw out M. Manectric, turbo bolt those two energy back to Genesect and because M. Manectric can retreat for free, I get another G Booster set up for next turn.

A version of this deck won an LC I attended last weekend and it got me wondering... Do you ever have an issue with finding the proper energy needed? Unless you use Rainbows, do you often find yourself with a Lightning when you need a Grass and vice versa? Add in the Plasma energy for Red Signal and it seems like you could have a lot of consistency issues.

I run 4 Plasma, 4 Lightning, 7 Grass. Yes this cuts my Item/Supporter count a little but with turbo bolt, emerald sash, professors letter, shadow triad, an energy switch all working in my favor I have never had a match that I was just hurting for a specific energy type.

THIRTEEN said:
How do you think VirGen will do with Roaring Skies out?

It will definitely lose power. The colorless Ray can do 60 for one while Virizion does 50 for two. Genesect also can't get a clean one shot on Mega Ray with G-Booster either while the he one shots you right back. Virgen (most decks for that matter) will have to tech in cards like Manectric or Raichu even though they are not the most consistent.

If Ray becomes really popular. ManVirGen could be pretty good. With that you now have the weakness for Ray, Kyogre, yveltal, seismitoad, ect. Also if Ray becomes popular, fighting decks will suffer.

Thoughts on Sceptile as the primary accelerator? With the new stadium and mega turbos it can accelerate T1 with some Shaymin support.

I think Virizion is still a better choice. As you can't really do anything turn one unless you dedicate to mega turbo turn 1, which may hurt the consistency. Also you need the energy in hand rather than just pulling it from the deck. So either this deck would need Prof letter and/or retrieval to make Sceptile work.

Probably better off sticking to what VirGen does best. Be consistent, use enhanced hammers, and target down the threats before they can become a problem. Raichu is a pretty decent addition atm since it takes out Yveltal, Ray, Pyroar, and Safeguard. Jirachi is probably still a better play than Shaymin, so you can get the Skyla for the G Booster when needed.

Back