'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Is its attack a copy of M Gengar EX's or Kecleon's Imittack, or none? With Kecleon's attack, you need the energy to copy the attack, but with M Gengar EX's you don't...
Gengar's; whose attack is basically modeled after the original Foul Play from Zoroark BLW.

Not sure why you'd expect this to differ drastically from LV.X, or mega evolution for that matter. It's just another evolution mechanic, they're all pretty similar. You put a guy on top of another guy and sometimes there's an extra quirk or two.

This one might be my favourite though. A card you just place over the artwork of the card it evolves from is a sweet idea. Although I don't see it interacting well with ancient trait pokemon. Or things that have tools attached to them, since best practice seems to be to attach those horizontally, and a break evolution would just go right over the top of that, so you'd have to move the tool, or something... aw man.

Anyway, you have to wonder if they're planning on having this replace EX as the main special pokemon mechanic. Change is fun, but with how they've been so dead set on milking EX for all it's worth since gen five, it's hard to imagine it going away now.

But most of all it just feels really weird to be getting hype for a new set before I've even attended the prerelease for the set before it.

Pokemon-EX aren't going anywhere, as future products slated for fall release have been referring to things like M Mawile-EX, M Aerodactyl-EX, and Palkia-EX, plus Hoopa-EX from the current Ancient Origins set has an ability specifically meant to synergize with Pokemon-EX. BREAK Pokemon, as mentioned by others, are just an additional mechanic.

However, one question I have about this mechanic that I haven't seen answered yet: back in the days of Lv.X, it was ruled that, for example, Gardevoir and Gardevoir Lv.X were the same Pokemon, and therefore you were limited to a total of 4 Gardevoir and Gardevoir Lv.X in your deck. Are Zoroark and Zoroark BREAK going to be considered the same Pokemon, as Lv.X were, or will you be able to have 4 of each in your deck?

I swear TPCi have gone completely off their rocker with mechanics and card types now.

Getting annoying with so many things, I love the design though, I hate that it's yet ANOTHER template to make -.-

The fact it's sideways add a new bluff mechanic to the game. Let's say I desperately need my break zoroark but didn't draw it. I couldn't draw a card. Tilt my head sideways. Then my opponent thinks I drew it and uses N ;) or ace trainer :) or red card :)

Sadly all they would really need to do is just make evolution better instead of having to introduce a new mechanic.

Specifically, I'd say make Evolving Pokémon better. It isn't so much that such-and-such a Stage 2 isn't good, it is that the Basic and Stage 1 for it are usually not. The burden of being good rests almost entirely on one of the three cards. Throw in better pacing for effects on the fully Evolved "big" Basic Pokémon. It is fine if a big, Basic Pokémon hits just as hard as an Evolution so long as it can't do so immediately.

If the-powers-that-be design the big Basic takes two or three turns to power-up before it can attack (or at least has a particularly useful attack) then it loses some of its speed advantage.

If the Evolving Pokémon have useful effects, it loses the rest of its speed advantage, and some (possibly all) if its card advantage.

Do those two things both regular and Pokémon-EX "big Basics" are going to be balanced against their peers, with the latter still being "better" but the Prize penalty finally being enough to offset the different.

Well, at least in theory. ;)

If it is a stage of evolution, then it probably still requires waiting a turn until you can evolve the pokémon again... So much for speeding up Evolution cards...

If it is a stage of evolution, then it probably still requires waiting a turn until you can evolve the pokémon again... So much for speeding up Evolution cards...

That's what I'm wondering, does it require waiting a turn to evolve?
The design is absolutely fantastic, but I'm kind of underwhelmed with the actual mechanic of it. They seem like cards you would only run 1-2 of in a deck already making heavy use of that Stage 1, like Raichu.

I suppose the opportunity for a basic Break Pokemon exists with this mechanic in mind. But I'm curious what happens if the Break Pokemon is a different type to the standard one it broke(?) from?

I don't really care about the break mechanic or the card. I'M JUST SO EXCITED ABOUT HORIZONTAL POKEMON CARDS YASSSSSSSSSSSSS!! I hope to Allah that they make stadiums horizontal also. That would be sooooo pretty!

Here is a crazy foreign idea that I bet nobody has ever thought of that will blow all these other ideas out of the water...

Let's just go back to the way pokemon use to be!

The card creators and pokemon as a whole have realized the danger they have done to the game. To have to create cards like this to make other cards more playable that never were.
Once you up the limits and up how strong attacks are and up the HP cap. It'll never end.

What happened to the good old days of just 120hp and 3 basic enegies for 50 damage being good enough to compete?

It's like they are all a bunch of children "I want more, more, more!"
I'm sincerely getting tired of more.

The expanded format still sucks, nobody is going to use but a small handful of cards from those sets
because they just keep releasing things that get more and more powerful. It's out of hand. A card shop owner said about 12 years ago when I was younger going to leagues that this would happen. And he was 100% correct.

Honestly, power creep really does happen all the time. Doesn't matter what game you play, the creators will always make an incentive to buy new products, and power creep seems to be the way to do it. But I really do hate it. It's so stupid to introduce this new mechanic. Why not just make a Zoroark EX? It would, in basic terms, be the same thing, a much more powered up version of the same Pokemon. I really only collect cards, haven't played competitively in a few years, and I have no interest in these break cards. They look too gimmicky.

Really disappointing that it doesn't help with a normal evolution line to stage 2.
Maybe it wont be long before we see breaka turbo energy and rare candy break cards to help.

From that poster I'm more intrigued with the background of the packs. Mega mewtwo x looks like it is fighting type with darkness background. Mega mewtwo y looks like it is psychic with lightning sparks from clouds behind it. Dual types? Or are we going to have four different types of Mewtwo mega cards. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I hope so since I don't really like mega cards anyway.

Wow! Cool new cards from XY- Breakthrough set---BREAK Evolution. It looks like a combination of a LV.X card and an AT card. I can't wait to see them in November. I hope more cards that is just like this to come. I think that set will contain 150+ cards, because of this newest treat.

I am right that every last set of every year has many surprises!

I wonder how rarity will work with Break cards...Hm. If EXs are staying, this could either be a holo, or it could be like Primes and Legends, with different URs. Hoping for the former though.

Back