Ash & Serena: Romantic Developments?

precita

Aspiring Trainer
Serena's crush on Ash is not going to go anywhere. Its going to receive the same, "ending" Misty's crush on Ash did a decade ago.

It'll be brought up in her goodbye episode, then largely be forgotten about even when she cameos in the next saga. The writers aren't going to bother keeping Serena when she's yet another game protagonist tied to her generation and isn't even popular enough to warrent keeping.

link the hero of Pokemon

rival trainer
Well, I think Ash is just afraid of getting to attached to people to be in a relationship. Because of how he has been abandoned by his dad, Misty, and Brock. (And all of his other companions.) But since it is obvious that Serena went on a journey to be with Ash, who knows.

thatrandomguyoffthestreet

Aspiring Trainer
Guess who's about to throw hate comments at them self. Me!
My problem with what a lot of people are saying is that there was evidence of romance between misty and ash. THAT NEVER HAPPENED! People just can't seem to accept that misty won't happen. (I'm sure that just because I said that the producers will write her in.)
About Serena, I wish they would do something, but they won't... ever. Every time you think something will happen, it doesn't. And when it does, they do nothing with it.

MrSmuel

Aspiring Trainer
That is really good question. I think this is the missing part of Pokémon series and I really want that they would end up together and I have seen many
hints. For example in that episode were Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie meet that girl who's name was Penelope and she wanted to battle with Ash and she said "If I win you're coming with me cutie." (or something like that) and Serena was really scared because she misunderstood the whole thing. And the other episode where they wanted to make Pokémon performance she misunderstood again when they were watching Aria's performance. So honestly I have waited for this since i started watching Pokémon and I have thought this what would be Misty´s reaction if Serena and Ash would be together.

precita

Aspiring Trainer
MrSmuel said:
So honestly I have waited for this since i started watching Pokémon and I have thought this what would be Misty´s reaction if Serena and Ash would be together.

1. I doubt Misty will ever meet Serena, since she's unlikely to appear ever again at this point.

2. The only way an Ash/Serena ship will be canon is if the XY anime is Ash's last series. If not, Serena will leave the anime like the other girls before her and generally be forgotten about as the next girl comes in.

aashifkhan

Aspiring Trainer
well if it's possible in harry potter why not in Pokémon. I think having a girlfriend along with ash would only make the journey better towards becoming a Pokémon master.

PlasmaTrainer

Aspiring Trainer
Will Ash and Serena develop any relationship? My guts telling me no. The idea however that Serena could stay longer on the show is a high possibility, and I'll explain why.

1. Her behavior: Its obvious that she has a crush on Ash, but a lot of other qualities that she has seems very reminiscent of all of Ash's female companions up until this point. So she'll probably stay in the show a bit longer.

2.Her talents: She wants to compete in contests right? I guess that she might stay along for a while, and who knows, they might even take a trip to Hoenn and happen to see May.

3.Her Introduction: With the way they introduced Serena in the first episode, it was obvious she had more importance than most other female characters.

(If I missed anything tell me. I haven't been able to watch the last 8 episodes this season.)

precita

Aspiring Trainer
Serena is not going to stay after XY ends. People say this everytime a new female companion joins. People thought May and Dawn would last more than one gen too and they didn't.

The writers have never kept characters more than one generation since Johto ended, so there's no reason to expect it now

Drohn

Wild War Dance
I don't think something not happening before or not happening in later series is a solid reason to base future episodes on. The Pokémon company have been showing more and more interest in what the fans want to happen, which is visible in the games and anime. The anime already has a more mature feel to it now than it had the last generations. I don't expect Serena to stay for the next region, but it is possible.

SilentlyFreezing

Pokemon Trainer, Youtaite, UTAU user, Brony
If you check Serebii, they just recently released a list of the next few episodes to air in Japan from late December to Mid-February. In February, Episode 862 is set to air and is titled "Ash and Serena's First Date! The Vow Tree and the Present!"

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
I noticed that as well. We'll have to wait and see what actually happens on their "first date," but my gut instinct tells me it's just going to be one of those awkward situation things, perhaps leading to an accidental kiss or something. What's interesting about Serena over all Ash's other female companions is that she hand Ash have met prior to the XY anime. It's kind of a shoo-in since there was absolutely no mention of this "Pokemon Summer Camp" before, but it's canon for now. That said, Serena does have a little more going for Ash than any of his previous companions. As big a fan as I am of an Ash x Misty pairing, looking back there really wasn't any romantic involvement between the two. They didn't seem to be any more than friends, and the same could certainly be said for May, Dawn, and Iris.

precita

Aspiring Trainer
Drohn said:
I don't think something not happening before or not happening in later series is a solid reason to base future episodes on. The Pokémon company have been showing more and more interest in what the fans want to happen, which is visible in the games and anime. The anime already has a more mature feel to it now than it had the last generations. I don't expect Serena to stay for the next region, but it is possible.

It does? Compared to BW it seems more mature, but its not any more than DP or Hoenn was before it.

DP had Hunter J who tried to kill Ash on multiple occasions, Paul was the most ruthless rival Ash ever had, and Dawn went through a depression arc after failing at Contests multiple times. Ash was also arguably at his strongest he had ever been at a trainer having evolved most of his pokemon and being taken out by a legendary user in the league

AG had Ash as a competent trainer for the first time, May going through the most character development of any female at that point, the intro of Contetss, and May having a love interest in Drewn and Harley being one of the best rivals of the series.

The XY anime overall isn't too different from Hoenn, bar Serena's crush. I think it was the BW series kiddiness that made people forget what the previous two gens were like.

Moses Mar Roldan

Aspiring Trainer
In season 18 episode 59 Ash and Serena's first date. Therefore Ash's relationship with Serena will be develop in these episode. hahaha i hope they release it quickly. ;)

Dawn

Aspiring Trainer
Even if Ash begins to like Serena, I wouldn't let that happen. Dawn and Misty are the perfect ones for him.

On a serious note, considering the fact that it is the first time(iirc) that someone has expressed her feelings for Ash, it is possible that what I fear will soon come true.
But I dont want that to happen. :(

JoshB

The math didn't work out
To me this seems almost like a wasted opportunity if nothing happens, because this scenario kinda reminds me of Ash and Misty. Everyone wishes Misty could have been closer to Ash during their period together, but the producers dropped the idea. So maybe now the producers are taking advantage of this, and creating a similar scenario. Obviously the producers will never make anything like kissing happen, but their relationship could develop and mature a little more to a higher level. ;)

This only a theory because, even I am not oblivious to the fact that this will probably not happen. Regardless, its a fun topic to speculate and discuss about. I hope to continue watching, and monitoring Ash & Serena's relationship.

Last edited:

ShinyTrainer2212

Aspiring Trainer
The top 3 relationships are probably 3: Dawn, 2: Misty/Serena, 1: Misty/Serena
The anime might go 2 ways: Way 1: Keeps going for younger kids, Way 2: Ash grows up & gets more mature & and stuff like that.

precita

Aspiring Trainer
Dawn and Ash were more like a brother/sister relationship. Dawn never had a confirmed crush on Ash, just a strong friendship. Misty's subplot was abandoned over a decade ago and with Ash/Serena being a current part of the show it depends what happens by the end of XY.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
I never thought that Serena would end up with Ash but after seeing her new haircut, it seems more obvious. Has anyone seen a Japanese anime version of Robin Hood from the late 80's/early 90's? Well, in the beggining Marian is the typical maiden with the usual love plot but after some time she cuts her hair, starts fighting and is less interested in Robin and I think Serena's new hair reflects the same. Serena will grow up to be a woman and Ash will remain more interested in battling and travelling than settling, just like his father that yet somehow managed to stay a while to make Ash. Serena now also seems another Misty with that hair and let's be fair: Misty was far more grown-up (mindwise) than Ash was and would ever be and so is Serena. Her crush is there but it'll wither and remain as a good memory of love and time, just like I think Misty has!
Unless the creators want to give Ash a rest. their relation will never happen because it doesn't goes with the travelling! Ash and Serena have strong personalities that one can be shadowed by the other, so they cannot end up like those trainer couples from the games! C'mon, Ash is a bad son due to his travels so he wouldn't be a good boyfriend and Serena wouldn't be just hanging behind him!

KakekuniKun

Aspiring Trainer
From the beginning of the XY series Ash seems to have matured a lot. In the BW series they rubbed in the fact he was still a 10 year old boy, but now he seems to have grown (although probably not in age) in the way he thinks and acts.

It also kind of seems obvious to me that Serena has developed a crush on Ash.

Will Ash's seemingly increased maturity finally make space for a real relationship to develop or will they remain hints that will be ignored by (the oblivious) Ash?

Do you think Ash will ever be involved in a romantic relationship? Will this be his chance? Would that make the series better/worse?
As I read in other website in X and Y series Ash is 16 and half and otherwise Serena is 15 and all I wanted to be Ash'es girlfriend is Serena
She's quite actracttive and ever since she cut her hair she looks so perfect for Ash.

Am I the only one that thinks Ash might be pretending to not get romance on purpose? Possibly either to avoid the drama, avoid having to hold a girl back from her own dreams, so that he can focus on his own dream, or a combination of all three reasons. I think this because sometimes Ash acts clueless, yet, there are other times when it seems like he does get it. Further, it seems like the longer the Anime goes on, the more clueless Ash acts, which could mean he is getting more used to performing his act. I also noticed that, character development wise, it would make sense for Ash to make this decision. When Misty left, she became a Gym leader, while mostly all she did when traveling with Ash was was help him achieve his dream. And shortly before May left, if I remember correctly, somebody commented on how May kept watching him battle and ended up battling a lot like him, therefore somewhat hindering her in contest battles, the look on Ash's face when he heard this was pretty emotional if I recall. Clearly both of these events, in combination with why Ash let Charizard train in Charicific vally, and why Brock left, and others, would instil a mindset that it would hurt others if they stayed with him. And then we still don't know how Ash's own father fits into this equation.

Plus, Ash would not even settle down to be a frontier brain, settling down to raise a family is almost out of the question at least for a very long while.

So, the most interesting thing about Serina is that she does not have a personal goal in the Anime yet. Based on my theory, if Ash does fall in love, the person would either have to have the same goal as him (collecting badges etc) or otherwise have a goal that lets them travel together with little to no hindrance on either side. If the girl has no goal other than being with him then, how Ash would feel about that is kind of up in the air. Ash might be waiting until Serina decides what to do with her life before he gets his hopes up, which could make things complicated if the writers actually want to confirm this theory,

Oh, and kids do get romance, mostly because of Disney lol. It's just a sexual relationship that would be out of the question due to the target audience and love does not require sex you know, especially if you're only 10-12 or 15 years old or however hell old Ash is now.
As i read in other websiteeAsh is now 16 and a half otherwise Serena is 15

Last edited by a moderator: