• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: Gyarados Full Retaliation (Gyarados / Milotic) (Updated with English Scans)

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
Now Updated with the English Card scan text.
The new Ancient Trait Gyarados; The one with the cool half art, attacking the poor fisherman in the picture, is literally screaming to be used, just like the old Storm Front Gyarados card.
The attack it has is similar but its very different indeed. Heres my list (With help from you guys):

Pokemon: 13
  • 4 Magikarp AOR
  • 3 Gyarados AOR (Ancient Trait)
  • 2 Feebas
  • 2 Milotic
  • 1 Shaymin EX
  • 1 Lugia EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Shauna
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 1 Wally
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Teammates
  • 4 Team Magma's Secret Base
  • 4 Muscle band
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 2 Max Revive
  • 1 Eco Arm AOR
  • 1 Sacred Ash
Energy: 10
  • 4 DCE
  • 6 Water Energy
Strategy:

The strategy behind this deck is to get the total damage output out of the Ancient Trait Gyarados in this set, while using its first attack for a DCE, Full retaliation Attack. The attack does 30 damage + 30 more damage for the number of damage counters on all of your Magikarp in play. We do this by playing Team Magma's Secret Base to put 2 damage counters on each Magikarp, as it comes into play. With 3 Magikarp on the bench, each with 2 damage counters on them and an active Gyarados your doing 30+60+60+60=210.
Now I haven't even taken into effect of it's ancient trait Theta Double. With 2 Muscle bands attached your hitting for 250 damage for a single DCE or 2 energy cards.
Thats a OHKO on Wailord EX!

Milotic provides support, getting back that much needed card in your discard pile, while Lugia EX provides a back up attacker, and Shaymin EX is used for the draw power.
With Lysandre's Trump card Banned, we have to rely on Sacred Ash and Eco arm to replenish our deck. This is especially important since our Magikarp are easy targets for our opponents to pick off, especially if they're playing bats.

If anyone has any ideas of how to improve upon this deck. Please let me know.

Here are the scan translations for you Mora.
Edit: English scans for Gyarados and Eco Arm are now in the spoilers below.

Gyarados-Ancient-Origins.jpg

Lugia-EX – Colorless – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Aero Ball: 20x damage. Does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to this Pokemon and the Defending Pokemon.

[C][C][C][C] Deep Hurricane: 80+ damage. If there is any Stadium card in play, this attack does 70 more damage. Discard that Stadium card.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1

Eco-Arm-Ancient-Origins.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not the best person to give advice since I just got back into the game, but I think you are reading the card wrong, at least as it's currently translated. It says 30 damage for each damage counter, so with Secret Base you would put 2 on each Magikarp. 6 counters x 30 damage = 180 with an ideal setup, up to 240 with Archie's and 4 benched 'Karp.

I would add more Wally and some Trainers' Mail to try to accelerate the Secret Base, as your entire deck needs that card. Wally is because Magikarp is very small and can be KO'd quite easily and quickly. I would say

-3 Hard Charm
-1 Battle Compressor (you can always discard Gyarados with Ultra Ball for Archie's)
-2 Revive (the Magikarp don't get damaged from the Base if you Revive them)
-2 Archie's (you don't need this IMO and it seems rather inconsistent)

+2 Max Revive
+2 Wally
+1 Ultra Ball
+1 Level Ball
+1 Magma's Secret Base
+1 Teammates (feel like your Magikarp are going to die a lot, this would come in handy)

I would take all this with a grain of salt as I have no experience running this deck, but I have thought about it a lot. I think the most important thing is to evolve your attacking Gyarados ASAP since you don't want your Karp being KO'd during the first few turns of the game.

I'm not the best person to give advice since I just got back into the game, but I think you are reading the card wrong, at least as it's currently translated. It says 30 damage for each damage counter, so with Secret Base you would put 2 on each Magikarp. 6 counters x 30 damage = 180 with an ideal setup, up to 240 with Archie's and 4 benched 'Karp.

OH. Thats even better. I was writing the deck list in Word, with the enlarged image of the card over the text, so thought it was 30 times the amount of damage.
30 times the number of damage counters however, makes it an even better card. I was wondering why my mobile was coming up with 1800. If I took off the zero it would of been 180.

I like the changes you've made, and I agree that this deck needs Trainers mail. But I would have no idea where to put them, and what to remove.

Could you please post scans / text of the cards that have yet to be released in English so that everyone can see what they do? Thanks!

OH. Thats even better. I was writing the deck list in Word, with the enlarged image of the card over the text, so thought it was 30 times the amount of damage.
30 times the number of damage counters however, makes it an even better card. I was wondering why my mobile was coming up with 1800. If I took off the zero it would of been 180.

I like the changes you've made, and I agree that this deck needs Trainers mail. But I would have no idea where to put them, and what to remove.
For Trainers' Mail, maybe try out something like this:

-1 Professor Birch's Observations (not really doing anything for you as a one-of)
-1 VS Seeker (3 is too many)

+2 Trainers' Mail

That might help make it more consistent. I also like Dive Ball in here, maybe instead of the VS Seekers, since once you're set up recovery is pretty easy without recycling supporters.

Four Wally? Waaaay too much. You don't actually need your Gyrados out turn 1, nor your Eeveelutions. In fact, I question why you even need the Eeveelutions! You're already hitting for a possible max of 220 damage, which is enough to KO Rayquazas, Yveltal and Sceptile without the need of the weakness.

-3 Wally (Waaaay too much.)
-3 Eevee (See above paragraph.)
-2 Jolteon (" ")
-2 Flareon (" ")
-2 Lightning Energy (" ")
-2 Fire Energy (" ")

+4 Water Energy (Replace the above energy.)

Now with that gone, there is the problem of a lack of support Pokemon. I'm thinking Milotic PRC as it would be quite helpful in regenerating your Magikarp or DCE. Ninetales could also be good for a bit of disruption. Third option is bats cause bats goes with everything.

+2 Milotic PRC
+2 Feebas
+1 Lugia-EX (Plausible backup.)
+1 Shaymin-EX (Great backup draw.)
+2 Pokemon Fan Club (This would be quite amazing in getting out the Magikarp and would be an ideal Turn 1 or Turn 2 card.)
+1 Eco Arm (To get back those tools.)
+1 Sacred Ash (More discard backup.)

Eco Arm – Trainer
Item

Shuffle 3 Pokemon Tool cards from your discard pile back into your deck.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

I honestly don't think Trainer's Mail is need in this deck, but if you really prefer, you could take out 2 Level Ball as you won't need 4.

-1 Professor Birch's Observations (not really doing anything for you as a one-of)

+2 Trainers' Mail

That might help make it more consistent. I also like Dive Ball in here, maybe instead of the VS Seekers, since once you're set up recovery is pretty easy without recycling supporters.

I disagree with this. Birch can easily be a 1-of. It's a draw card that can be reused with VS Seeker when you feel necessary. VS Seeker certainly should be kept at 3. Taking them away downgrades your consistency more than Trainer's Mail would upgrade it.

Could you please post scans / text of the cards that have yet to be released in English so that everyone can see what they do? Thanks!

I have added the translations of the 3 main Pokemon. Gyarados, Jolteon and Flearon. Magikarp doesn't do anything, and isn't very exciting, so didn't add him in.
But I did check some of the other threads here before posting mine, and some of them, that use the new Vileplume and Vespiquen cards, don't include Card translations.
I would of thought that after the full set being leaked for 3 days now, that most players would no what each card did. and like the members who posted those threads that it would be alright for me to do the same.
So I'm sorry for that.

+2 Trainers' Mail

I can afford to loose the Birch, but I like having a couple of VS Seeker. If I end up discarding my Lysandre cards early game, and I need it to win the game, I can use the VS seeker for it to win the game. I can always drop a level ball for a dive ball though, since that give me 4 cards to draw into Gyarados.
I can possibly drop 1 VS seeker for another trainers mail at the moment. But the deck list is looking good so far. It's just a case of improving the consistency of the deck now.

There is the problem of a lack of support Pokemon. I'm thinking Milotic PRC as it would be quite helpful in regenerating your Magikarp or DCE. Ninetales could also be good for a bit of disruption. Third option is bats cause bats goes with everything.

I was half thinking what I could possibly pair it with. Milotic sounds like a good choice. Shaymin had come to mind but didn't really know how to place it in the deck. I never thought of Pokemon fan club so thats an excellent choice for this deck. Eco arm is a great one off as well, to get the muscle bands back. Not sure about Lugia though. its to early to say yet. I'll edit some of those cards into the list, and change the deck to using Milotic instead. maybe super scoop ups can be used to re-use milotics ability?

Last edited:
If you want to reuse Milotic I suggest AZ. Scoop Up takes up 3 extra space for consistency reasons, while AZ takes 1 spot and can be reused with VS eEeeker. However, I dont think you need either as you should only need 1 or 2 Milotic in a single game anyway.

Thanks for your advice there bbninjas. A slight change to the deck list I have made though, is to replace the 4 level ball with 4 Dive ball.
This means that rather than relying on a card that can only search for Magikarp and Feebas, I now have a card that searches for Magikarp, Gyarados. Feebas and Milotic.

also I just realised that this deck is using the games 2 most useless fish pokemon (Both with the same level up moveset). Magikarp has been known since gen 1 as being useless, and Feebas in gen 3 had the exact same move set. (Only Feebas can learn egg moves and can learn TM's)

I have added the translations of the 3 main Pokemon. Gyarados, Jolteon and Flearon. Magikarp doesn't do anything, and isn't very exciting, so didn't add him in.
But I did check some of the other threads here before posting mine, and some of them, that use the new Vileplume and Vespiquen cards, don't include Card translations.
I would of thought that after the full set being leaked for 3 days now, that most players would no what each card did. and like the members who posted those threads that it would be alright for me to do the same.
So I'm sorry for that.

It's quite alright. All threads should have that; any that don't need to. If you see any that don't, there is an option to report the thread. I try to catch all of them, but I could have missed some.

Just an update as to Gyrados, it actually does 30 + 30 for each damage counter on your benched magikarp. So with 20 damage on three of your karp, your hitting 210, 250 with double muscle band. It's going to be a monster

Just an update as to Gyrados, it actually does 30 + 30 for each damage counter on your benched magikarp. So with 20 damage on three of your karp, your hitting 210, 250 with double muscle band. It's going to be a monster

Just seen the english scan, on the front page and your right. 30 damage + 30 more damage for each damage counter on your Magikarp. So if each Magikarp has 2 damage counters on it they each add 60 to Gyarados' attack. So thats 30 + 60 + 60 + 60 making 210. 2 Muscle Bands that's 250. That's enough to knock out Wailord EX in one hit.

This things a monster compared to it's Storm front card in the D/P/ PL days.

I will be adding the English scans to the spoilers in post one.
Just a quick not on the english set. We finally get the card Energy Recycler which i'll provide the image for below. Is that worth a space in the deck?

Energy-Recycler-Ancient-Origins.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really think the Energy Recycler is worth the spot. If you play conservative enough, you'll probably find you will have sufficient energy.

Back