'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

I think it's LV X with a spirit link like card. And you can only become a LV X after the break card is attached.

That doesn't sound very fast with a format full of EX pokemon....

I hope Break Pokemon let you evolve into any other Pokemon, hence the term "break" evolution. As in break the evolutionary line. :p

If I could spread my opinion, the „break“ evolution will hang with the „evolution acceleration“ similar to effect of Giant Plant Forest, so maybe like the effect of Δ-evolution Ancient Trait without the actual Ancient Trait

OR

It could be something like: Break evo treated like evolution card (so not affected by Pyroar's Ability or Silent Lab) but could be put into game once you get it into hand – which is unfortunately no more true-like if the description in that article i considered true.

OR

Something what WPM wrote… it let you evolve anything into the break evolution, but it seems rather again not true, because you need the regular pre-evolved form to evolve into that Break evo…

Hmm, seems like we still didn't get any real hint. :)

Anyway, just my opinions.

Hmm, not quite sure what to think. Part of me says it might be that if you can get all three cards in your hand you can go straight to the BREAK Pokemon, but then that's just GPF for select Pokemon.

We need a full BREAKdown, because speculating is really frustrating. I imagine that Ancient Traits were at least a little easier to understand when they were hinted at, right?

how could you hate such an awesome type of card ( artwork wise) as full arts. With the introduction of the FA it opened up so many new and exciting doors for depicting our favortie pokemon. The artwork on the full arts is amazing , not to mention the texture ads so much more appeal as opposed to a regular holofoil card. How could you be mad about getting more of somthing lol i could understand from a competitive point of view as to why some dislike ex's , but from a collector and creative point of view there is nothing to hate.
thats like saying you would prefer a honda civic over a Lamborghini lol
I care more about the game mechanics than the pretty artwork, and in that vein holofoils just don't stand up to regular usage as much as normal cards, let alone staying flat. But no, let's make a card that's not only 100% foil, but also textured, because that will last with repeated usage. Then the thing gets beat to hell despite using sleeves and gingerly shuffling, so when you're ready to try and trade it away people look at you like you have a third eye. I would be perfectly OK with dropping FAs if it meant we got an extra Uncommon in every pack, because lord knows the distribution within packs doesn't mesh with the game's mechanics. Thankfully even a mechanically unplayable FA is trade bait for you collectors.
/rant

Back on topic, it sounds like the Break card is a Trainer. Whether that means that it is an Item or a new card type remains to be seen. So it will either be similar to a Spirit Link like in the original post, or it will let you skip the traditional evolution steps like Wally. If that's the case, I foresee Raichu/Skyfield getting better.

If I had to guess based on that hint it does sound like something similar to the level X mechanic however maybe it can be done on the same turn as well since Break is probably a reference to speed.

hmm... if it is a Trainer, then why on all these packs they say the pokémon name with the Break word after? Raichu BREAK, Noivern BREAK and Golduck BREAK... I think it's a new kind of pokémon card, something like Lv. X... But I hope they actually let you speed up the evolution process, otherwise this won't help stage cards at all...

Back on topic, it sounds like the Break card is a Trainer. Whether that means that it is an Item or a new card type remains to be seen. So it will either be similar to a Spirit Link like in the original post, or it will let you skip the traditional evolution steps like Wally. If that's the case, I foresee Raichu/Skyfield getting better.

I agree with you. And since "break card" doesn't seem to have anything to do with any human character of the series, I would guess it is an item card.

If I had to guess, I would say this item would be very similar to wally, but different in two ways: first, you could play more than one copy of it per turn and you could still play a supporter for the turn, and, second, it would require you to have the evolution line in your hand, with a closer mechanic to a rare candy (wally being closer to evosoda).

Also, we can understand that, similar to rare candy, this "break card" should be discarded when used, instead of kept on the pokemon, like spirit links, for two reasons:

(1) The description we have explicitly says you have to have the break card and the evolution line, and if this item would be a tool you didn't HAVE TO have them both in your hand. Although it also says you have to have the basic pokemon, I believe this is just descriptive of the function of the break card: if they have said "a basic on the game" it would sound like "you still have to wait a turn to evolve", and I think this card helps you to skip that restriction.

(2) I think I've read somewhere that LTC was banned also because some still-to-be released cards could be abused by its use (besides those lasers and hammers that had been abused already). Anyways, once this break card doesn't seem to be pokemon specific like spirit links, they could be played several times, potentially skipping all basics and stage 1's on a deck directly to stage 2's.

And, yes, I think this card would be potentially more powerful than wally, evosoda or even rare candy, once you could just use it to evolve the same mon twice on the same turn (even on the first turn), given that you can find two break cards and the whole evolution line of a mon.

But why would they do something like that? I mean, if it's basically equivalent to Wally and Giant Plant Forest, why stir up all the hype about BREAK Evolutions if it's just game mechanics we're, by now, accustomed to?

I care more about the game mechanics than the pretty artwork, and in that vein holofoils just don't stand up to regular usage as much as normal cards, let alone staying flat. But no, let's make a card that's not only 100% foil, but also textured, because that will last with repeated usage. Then the thing gets beat to hell despite using sleeves and gingerly shuffling, so when you're ready to try and trade it away people look at you like you have a third eye. I would be perfectly OK with dropping FAs if it meant we got an extra Uncommon in every pack, because lord knows the distribution within packs doesn't mesh with the game's mechanics. Thankfully even a mechanically unplayable FA is trade bait for you collectors.
/rant

Are you high? Just use the non-FA equivalent. Jeez. As a pure collector, I would be heartbroken if they removed FAs.

/rant

Okay first off, before any other FA Haters get the wrong idea, I was being sarcastic with the comment I made about removing Full Arts.

Now for the actual response, you'd make a better case for removing reverse holos using the "extra uncommon in packs" argument then removing FAs. The FAs value is due to the fact that they are rare, as in they aren't guaranteed to appear in a pack like uncommon, reverses and non-holo rares

Also, if you have an issue with using FAs, why do you buy them? Trade-bait, then why would you play them if they are as fragile as you claim? Especia;y since logically the cards with less foil are way cheaper

/rant

This is why I wish I could dislike posts.

Break cards look like the returns of level X. Seeing Level X and EX clash in the same format will be interesting.

Just a guess, but perhaps it's a tool or something similar, that allows a pichu to BREAK EVOLVE to Raichu without the pikachu stage and get a bonus, like rare candy plus a OP but pokemon specific tool.

But then I realise that Noivern doesn't have a middle stage so....

Maybe it lets you evolve and get a bonus the turn you put it in, similar to wally and a OP pokemon specific tool rolled into one.

I think that the break card will be an item that, when played, will allow you to lay down entire evolution lines from your hand.

Ex: if you have the riachu break item card in your hand and pikachu and riachu you will be able to play riachu break then lay down pikachu then riachu on top of it, all in one turn.

Thank god this thing doesn't allow you to play evo cards as basics. If it did, what's the difference between playing Raichu stage 1 directly and playing a SP or EX one?

Back