Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Why would you want "Tool Scrapper" reprinted? Startling Mega Phone is VASTLY superior. Unless you want to try and run the Team Flare Gear stuff maybe but IDK are any of those REALLY all that good/viable.

When in doubt, research! Or at least ask your questions so that it is apparent "Yeah, I don't know this." I personally can't speak to the viability of Pokémon Tool F cards at this moment and (more importantly) when this set releases, but yes there is a niche for Tool Scrapper. Pokémon Tools are good enough that few decks run none and both for getting rid of an opponent's Pokémon Tool F and selectively discarding an opponent's Pokémon Tools, it has legitimate merit. As I think you were stating, it allows you to discard an opponent's Pokémon Tools without discarding your own Pokémon Tool F but it also avoids discarding an already-used Spirit Link or similar "More useful to me since it blocks their Tool slot" card currently attached. Tool Scapper also can discard Tools from your own Pokémon in those situations: so countering Pokémon Tool F and allowing you to go "...discard Spirit Link, attach Muscle Band".

Note that I do not want a Tool Scrapper reprint - I think there are too many overly potent Pokémon Tool counters right now.

Non-EX evolution decks. Most basics and stage ones are below 90 HP.

It didn't. Ultra Ball will still be better beacause it discards.

Not with LTC gone. Resource management will become really important for Night March decks now. Level Ball being a free search is arguably superior

Night March gains Level Ball, loses Mew EX. Level Ball will help stream marchers, but DCE will be even more critical. No more Night March attack for 1 basic energy.

Not with LTC gone. Resource management will become really important for Night March decks now. Level Ball being a free search is arguably superior

Except Night March decks will want a way to get excess Night Marchers from the hand to the discard pile without counting on a Professor Sycamore. Obviously Battle Compressor will still be used to toss them from the deck directly to the discard pile.

Having yet another search card and the option to run a blend of the two is probably what matters. When Level Ball was standard legal, I got the impression that things like

2 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball

were common in deck building. Of course I may have gotten that wrong. ^^'

Except Night March decks will want a way to get excess Night Marchers from the hand to the discard pile without counting on a Professor Sycamore. Obviously Battle Compressor will still be used to toss them from the deck directly to the discard pile.

Having yet another search card and the option to run a blend of the two is probably what matters. When Level Ball was standard legal, I got the impression that things like

2 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball

were common in deck building. Of course I may have gotten that wrong. ^^'

I think the power of Level Ball in Night March, is that it can either one, get you a night marcher out for free, or two, can be used in conjunction with Ultra Ball to search out two night marchers and discard one of them, while playing the other. Battle Compressor can't get you anything out by itself, and using 2 Ultra Balls can wreck your hand. Level Ball has a bit of versatility in there. Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised to see a heavier line of Level Ball than Ultra in at least some Night March decks, but either way, I'm sure there will be 5+ total in most builds.

You think Night March is going to stay strong into rotation? I'm not sure if Night March will be as big of a threat in standard. What's replacing Mew EX? Night March can only be achieved with the Night Marchers themselves and will not be cheaper than double colorless. The deck will find new partners and change, but I don't see it being nearly as good as it has been.

Am I the only one who saw this card and immediately remembered Good Gas Attack? Also, an XY-on ability shut down... ABOUT TIME! :)

My favorite NPC trainer! I hope she gets a FA!

Not sure if she's very playable though. Using up your supporter to prevent abilities for 1 turn seems too... expensive.

Last edited:
I think the art would've been better if it didn't look like they photo shopped it but still cool.

Playable-wise, I see it as either a lock card for Siesmotoad,Eggs etc. or actually as a counter tech in M Ray,M Rayshiram etc. against Trevennet/Shaymin and other Item Lock decks

Wasn't Hex Maniac already shown? Not what it does, but the art in some dummy form? Looks familiar and I totally forgot about it. Interesting card.

Neat little way to open up item use against Trevnant/Vileplume. This is also ability lock that once in effect, can't be undone. Garbodor could be scrapped/xerosic/phoned. Silent Lab can be bumped. Wobbuffet can be switched out of active. Nothing can be done once 'Hexxed'.

Last edited:
Interesting. Theoretically, this would have been a great card in a deck that already runs Pokemon-based draw, but since it wastes YOUR Abilities as well, there aren't many ways to combo this reliably...

-Plasma Magnezone in Expanded is a bit difficult to pull off because you'll have to make sure that Maniac is your second Supporter, otherwise Dual Brains will shut off.
-Vileplume from this same set would've been AMAZING with her, but it shuts off your Abilities as well, so you really can't use it to apply a multi-lock. However, playing this as a 1-of to get Items back for a turn isn't that bad an idea... except that AZ does the same thing but better.
-An attack-based Draw Pokemon would be pretty good as well, but our options as of right now are kind of limited. Manaphy PRC only works in Water decks, Kangaskhan-EX is an EX (obviously), and
Sableye ANC relies on your opponent's own plays. This could actually be decent with Deoxys ROS, but in the long run, stopping stuff on Turn 1 isn't going to be as amazing as you think.

Back