Contest May's Create-a-Card: Gym Leaders! (Fan Vote Results)

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Thanks for all the entries, everyone! :D I'm on vacation at the moment and just browsing on my tablet, but I'll get all your posts added to the list when I'm back to my PC on Tuesday. :3

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Stage 1/ Wallace's Crawdaunt // HP100
TCGWater

341.png
Evolves from Wallace's Corphish

crawdaunt.gif

NO. 342/Rogue Pokémon/HT: 3'07"/WT: 72.3lbs​

SF-Ability
Daunting Shellfish

If any damage is done to this Pokémon by attacks, flip a coin. If heads, that damage is reduced by 50 (after applying Weakness and Resistance). If tails, discard a basic Energy attached to the Attacking Pokémon.

TCGDark
TCGDark
TCGWhite
Shadow Pincers 70+

If your opponent's Active Pokémon already has any damage counters on it, flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage. If tails, attach an Energy card from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness:
TCGGrass
x2
Resistance:
TCGMind
Retreat:
TCGWhite
TCGWhite

Crawdaunt has an extremely violent nature that compels it to challenge other living things to battle. Other life-forms refuse to live in ponds inhabited by this Pokémon, making them desolate places.

22/101
Rarity_Rare.png
[/spoiler]​

I had literally no time to work on an entry this month, so here, have modified version from the one in my set. Dx This is better than no entry, I guess.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Alright, I have all the entries added that were posted while I was gone. Only 2 days left! :D

i was wondering if i could quit, i cant finish my card since i have school and everything. sorry for maybe pulling out too late.

Sorry to see you go! Hopefully you'll have more time to compete in future months.

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer
Misty's Starmie!
8AXgAcX.png

I'm really proud of the artwork for this one - I know it's simple, but I ripped and textured and animated that 3D model myself! This is huge progress for me with 3D Pokemon models. You can view the unedited render here. Anyway, about the card:

The Ancient Trait "Lambda Break" is based on an ability that certain species of starfish have: they can reproduce or "regrow" from themselves. It's limited to non-Gym-Leader Staryu though, so it's harder to make a cycle for spamming starfish in a game.

The attack "Deepspace Pulse" is based on Staryu's/Starmie's lore entries about them beaming radio signals into space via their gem. And I haven't seen any attacks that let you choose between searching your deck and your discard, so yay.

Spinning Star comes from how I imagine a decent Starmie would battle - if it's spinning, it can hurt opponents. Why would it stop spinning in a battle? Now it doesn't have to, and that's also reflected in the Pokedex entry.

I'm still using Ancient Traits, I know, but I like to think there's more room for creativity in this type of card (over EXs and regular cards) since instead of pasting Pokedex stats I can create an Ancient Trait and have more freedom with the artwork. I just really like Ancient Trait cards!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Wait, what? Cascade Gonpory entered? Man. Okay, fine , I guess second place isn't the worst thing in the world.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
It's limited to non-Gym-Leader Staryu though, so it's harder to make a cycle for spamming starfish in a game.

Your card states that you search your deck for cards with Staryu in their name, and Misty's Staryu has that in its name :p

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer
Your card states that you search your deck for cards with Staryu in their name, and Misty's Staryu has that in its name :p
I wasn't sure if "Misty's Staryu" == "Staryu", but ah well. Starfish spam, hurrah!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
@Machamp The Champion, @Friezy, @Otaku, @Oraxys, @Blui, @ThunderVolt, @Huderon of Canossa, @NinTango, @Joshi44, @xaej806

Last call for entries! :D Thursday, May 28th is the last day to submit your card. No entries will be accepted after Midnight PDT on the 28th. Shortly after, I will post up the form for fan voting and we hope to have all judging completed on Saturday.

Once again, those I've tagged are still missing their entries. If you were tagged in this post but have already submitted your card, please link me so I can get it properly added to the list.

Joshi44

TCG player
well here is my entry,

it was my first try on lvX cards but i'm pretty satisfied

I only had trouble with the font and the placing (so if anybody could give tips, they're welcome!)

Attachments

• Vileplume GL lv x.jpg
    Vileplume GL lv x.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 39

Rhesis

Chandelure Fan
Well i am going to post here an explanation for my entry "Ramos' Gogoat" (i explained in my thread few weeks ago, but i think here is better place for it). So here it is:

And the first i will do will be "Old Glories" Set, with my "Ramos' Gogoat" of the "May's Create-a-Card".

Ramos’ Gogoat– Grass – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Ramos’ Skiddo

Ω Barrier: Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card (excluding Pokémon Tools and Stadium cards), prevent all effect of that card done to this Pokémon.

gogoat.gif

Ability: Grass Pelt
Any damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 10 for each [G] energy attached to it.

[G] Goattack: 20. Flip a coin. If heads, discard a Special Energy attached to the Defending Pokémon.

[G][G][C][C] Forest Tackle: 60+damage. If the Defending Pokémon has an ancient trait, this attack do 40 more damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 2​

This card was borned as an attempt of counter for Seismitoad EX, Primal Groudon EX and Primal Kyogre EX.

About the first attack, if you attached "Trick Coin" to it, it will do 40 to Seismitoad EX and a high chance of discard the Double Colorless Energy. But if you attached "Silver Bangle" you can do 100 damage and a 50% of discard the Double Colorless Energy. I think is a great way but not so powerfull to say "Hello i'm your little nightmare" to Seismitoad EX.

The second is an attack at big cost, buuuuuut for that we have the ancient Trait, they can't discard our Double Colorless with Hammers or Team Flare Guys :). In turn 3 or less, with "Muscle Band" we do 240 damage to Primal Groudon EX or Primal Kyogre EX. BOOM!

Obviously is not perfect, but i don't want and "unbeatable" card, i want an interesting card. What do you think about it? :D

About the Ability, no one Standard [G] Pokémon (except Metapod or Kakuna) are defensive (and viable). And only few has Resistance, so i think is a good option for a [G] Pokémon cover damage with an Ability. It can't resist Primal Groudon EX attack (200 Base Damage) but with Virizion EX attack would be faster than Primal Groudon EX.

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
Perhaps I'll explain my Drifblim card...

The idea is to use Drifblim's ability and attack to turn it into the ultimate tank. it's attack inflates your HP to 200, meaning P Kyogre can't KO, P Groudon has trouble due to resistance but will most likely still OHKO, and Genesect is Genesect. The ability means as long as you don't bench out, you can keep healing for a long time using the ability. The second attack requires you to keep those Pokémon you keep pulling back into your hand so you get the best effect, which requires it to have a big bench to do anything. Overall the first attack is great, but somewhat easy to play around, the ability may be a bit much, but you could bench yourself more easily, and the second attack is hard to use with the ability, but worth it. Overall, I think the card is somewhat balanced.

Huderon of Canossa

Deranged Tinkerer
PinkanRhydon2_zpsfk4sj8aj.png
Unjustified text! It bothers me so! But that's how the cards were setup back then, so it's for authenticity. Hey, I'm not using my own custom blank for once. Well, mostly.

First things first, this is CMP's neo redux blank with some modifications by yours truly to resemble the earlier Gym era cards. I believe he also supplied the holofoil I used here Big thanks to him! Other noteworthy credits go to FlamingClaw, who made the background of the illustration. Of course, Ken Sugimori for the Rhyhorn image too!

I referred to Erika's oddish 47/132 of Gym Heroes and Scyther 10/64 of Jungle for the Pokemon Power, though I also used Brock's Ninetales 3/132 of Gym Challenge for placement reference, since it also had a wordy power, moreso than the one shown here.

The first thing you'll probably notice is that it is simply called Rhydon. I made this change so that any regular Rhyhorn can evolve into it. I mean, for all we know Cissy caught the Pokémon as a Rhydon and not Rhyhorn, or traded for it with someone else. The downside is that even though this is an owner's Pokémon, it is no longer distinguished from regular Rhydon and so both count towards the allowed card of the same name limit.

The attack is an adapted version of Brock's Rhydon's Lariat 2/132 of Gym Heroes. In fact this whole card is supposed to be a more offensively oriented counterpart to Brock's Rhydon. The catch is that it works as intended in water decks, specifically decks with Cissy's Pokémon so that you increase the odds of landing a hit with Turnabout Tide. I imagined Cissy having mostly water pokémon, such as the squirtle and horsea lines. This Rhydon (and her hypothetical Rhyhorn) is more of an answer to electric type opponents, which are effective on most water-type cards in the era.

Generally more Cissy's Pokémon you have in play the better Rhydon will be for attacking, though Turnabout Tide has better odds if you have an even number of Cissy's Pokémon in play (this includes Rhydon, so even if that's the only Cissy's Pokémon you have in play, you get a single flip). I normally hate flippy effects, but I did like the idea of changing the odds based on your bench composition. The energy discard extra effect in the Pokemon Power is just for the splash damage - It's a shore-fire strategy that will leave your opponents all washed up! Enough with the horrendous puns you say? I say nay, I will Rhydon that board all day. Ahem.

About the visuals... not much to say really. This is a what-if design, where if WotC had continued the Gym series for another set before moving on to good ol' neo, hence the power rating etc. should be judged accordingly (Gym Challenge and Heroes, possibly neo Genesis). The Rhydon is holding a rather plain Surfboard as a throwback to Rhydon being able to learn the HM despite not necessarily known for dealing with water well, and its pink! Because, pinkan berries, Pinkan Island was not too far from Mikan Island... um... you know, anime references. Look I wanted to be edgy and cool by giving Cissy a non-water type and still make sense, okay? Okay.

So in short, uninspired attacks and power, psuedo old gym card style, and a lot of unnecessary puns and pinks.

Good Luck everyone!

professorlight

Ice Queen
I'm not sure I follow, dear, would you mind explaining the math behind the attack?

If I'm not mistaken, any coin flip whatsoever has a .5 chance of tails and heads, so what changes the success of the attack is actually determined by whether you have an odd or even number of pokemon.
An odd number gives you one final flip to decide in the case of a tie, given that a standard chance in an even number of coins is more likely to result in a perfectly split tails/heads score, and you don't explain what happens in that case in your attack.

Of course, you will always have a .25 chance of getting more heads or tails on even numbers, but that means that with an even number of cissy's pokemon you still have a 50/50 chance of failure, and your odds are still the same with an odd number of cissy's pokemon, since you're still using a 50/50 coin toss to decide. (And even then, increasing the number of tries to a greater limit (as in, two, three, four, a hundred, a thousand, ad infinitum), would only get the threshold more and more to a perfect .5 chance, so the more of cissy's pokemon you have, the (infinitesimally) more likely a tie is.

My point is, wouldn't it give you the exact same odds to just make the effect based on tossing two coins and clarifying what happens on ties?

Huderon of Canossa

Deranged Tinkerer
I'm not sure I follow, dear, would you mind explaining the math behind the attack?

If I'm not mistaken, any coin flip whatsoever has a .5 chance of tails and heads, so what changes the success of the attack is actually determined by whether you have an odd or even number of pokemon.
An odd number gives you one final flip to decide in the case of a tie, given that a standard chance in an even number of coins is more likely to result in a perfectly split tails/heads score, and you don't explain what happens in that case in your attack.

Of course, you will always have a .25 chance of getting more heads or tails on even numbers, but that means that with an even number of cissy's pokemon you still have a 50/50 chance of failure, and your odds are still the same with an odd number of cissy's pokemon, since you're still using a 50/50 coin toss to decide. (And even then, increasing the number of tries to a greater limit (as in, two, three, four, a hundred, a thousand, ad infinitum), would only get the threshold more and more to a perfect .5 chance, so the more of cissy's pokemon you have, the (infinitesimally) more likely a tie is.

My point is, wouldn't it give you the exact same odds to just make the effect based on tossing two coins and clarifying what happens on ties?

If there is an even split of heads and tails, then attack does damage. The requirement for failure is simply, more tails than heads.
True, every coin flip has a 0.5 chance of being either heads (H) or tails (T). But the probability of the attack, Turnabout Tide, to damage is the entire set of coin flips done for that turn.

If you only get to flip 1 coin, then you have a result of H or T, both at 0.5 chance each.

2 coins, then you flip the following combinations of results: HT, TH, HH, TT. Failure is TT, the rest of the possible results are successful hits. While getting heads or tails for each flip is still 0.5, Turnabout Tide landing that damage for two coins is 0.75, as 3 out of 4 possible results that let that happen.

3 coins, and the results you can get are TTT, HHH, HHT, HTT, THT, TTH, THH, HTH. There are 4 failures, TTT, HTT, THT, TTH, out of 8 possible outcomes. Turnabout Tides chances of doing damage, is back to 0.5 (4/8).

And so on. The reason even flips are more likely to be successful, is because more heads, as well as heads=tails, are both counted as successful flips.

Did that make it clearer, or am I messing it up myself?

EDIT: Would like to add that technically you add the probability of each result together (TTT would be 1/8 for example (1/2)^3, which added with the other failures adds up to 1/2 - it's just simpler to say it this way as both H and T have equal chance of happening)

EDIT^2: Thinking on it now, 2 Cissy's Pokémon may even be the best for the attack, going by my reasoning.

for 4 coin flips, the possible results are
HHHH, HHHT, HHTH, HTHH, THHH
TTTT, TTTH, TTHT, THTT, HTTT
HHTT, HTTH, THTH, TTHH, HTHT, THHT

11/16 is the success rate, 0.6875, lower than 2 coin flips!

Bah!

EDIT the sequel: If you were curious, 5 flips is 0.5 for success (16/32 combinations)
6 flips is 0.65625 (42/64 combinations)

so yeah, it gets closer to 0.5 as numbers go higher and higher. My bad!

I had to get reacquainted with the binomial theorem for this, which is by no means difficult, just that I haven't used that in years and thought it'd stay that way.

Last edited:

xaej806

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Alright all, here's my entry - Full Art Morty's Mega Banette EX (is it just me, or are Pokemon card designations getting a little out of hand? :D

mortysmegabanetteex-png.8031

Attachments

• mortysMegaBanetteEX.png
    mortysMegaBanetteEX.png
    436 KB · Views: 149