Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Unfortunately this mean NO Hoopa Confined in this set!
The Hoopa Ex in this set is locked between Golurk AT and Machamp Ex :(

I guess the Emboar Ex and Togekiss Ex decks will be merched with this set. And no word of a Hoopa deck so far...
I forgot it... Well... can be in a japanese promo and later would come in our "Ancient Origins", its the only thing i can think about a "Regular Hoopa"

I'm pretty sure that being resistant to itself makes it so it doesn't receive recoil damage from Superpower... Otherwise there would be a note like TheStrictNein said... I'm trying to remember some similar case from older sets but this doesn't happen very much... What I remember is, just like the AT Nidoqueen, everytime a pokémon weak to its own type has had an attack with recoil damage, it usually had a note telling to not apply Weakness. If it doesn't say anything, then you apply weakness and resistance as usual...

I saw this announcement and I think to myself that I bet this Golurk is a psychic type. I click on it and see I was right. Then I see the ability, making it both types. I have to say I rather like those kinds of abilities and wish we could see those on more Pokémon. I really want to see this on the eventual M. Altaria EX, make it both dragon and fairy.

This Golurk is actually pretty decent. I don't think he'll see too much play right off the bat as his type coverage doesn't really do him that many favours in the current format. Paired with that new Jolteon he can be used to OHKO Yveltal and M-Ray but there aren't any really big threats who are weak to Fighting or Psychic right now.

...Which could change of course, and as soon as it does I can see this guy being the go-to choice for dealing with those threats.

The fact that he can make good use of DCE, Strong Energy, Mystery Energy, Dimension Valley and Fighting Stadium is pretty nifty though. He'd make for a fun deck at the very least.

I forgot it... Well... can be in a japanese promo and later would come in our "Ancient Origins", its the only thing i can think about a "Regular Hoopa"

Yeah this might be the most likely thing which we'll happen if we get regular Hoopa, just thinking this because of the Diancie promos and PhF.

Thanks for showing us yet another preview - I love the ancient trait cards! This is another cool one with great potential. I will make a note, though, that with the ability to have 3 different types of special energy attached (double colorless, mystery, strong) it would probably be better served with omega barrier ancient trait, to counter the enhanced hammers that will be calling its name...and startling megaphones if protection cube is used.

Surprised no one has brought up Strong Energy with this guy, considering he can use it with the ability (and things like Garbodor wouldn't shut it off because of the theta power). Strong Energy + Fighting Stadium + Muscle Band would let it swing for 180 to EXs.

Seems like a really flexible card given the ability and the attack cost. But the 4 attack cost is a lot, and adding DCE to this guy only makes it a bigger target for hammers. I could also seem Dimension Valley working here to make him quicker, though you could still do DCE+Strong Energy to cover the cost.

I saw this announcement and I think to myself that I bet this Golurk is a psychic type. I click on it and see I was right. Then I see the ability, making it both types. I have to say I rather like those kinds of abilities and wish we could see those on more Pokémon. I really want to see this on the eventual M. Altaria EX, make it both dragon and fairy.

My only complaint is that it is taking up an Ability; they nearly had the dual-Type mechanic sorted out during the EX-series of sets, but they abandoned it for I-don't- know-why reasons. The obvious would be complexity but honestly, they had it to a point where it was pretty easy to understand (and if not, one or two more tweaks and it would have been).

Golurk looks to have significant promise, but the obvious hurdle is the Energy cost: [CCCC] is not small, and even if you use Dimension Valley, [CCC] is not a whole lot better. It hasn't come up in a while (or if it did I missed it =P) but self-damage applies Resistance unless specifically stated otherwise, so while its Ability is in effect, it won't have to worry about its self-damage. We also already saw the new Jolteon. With that combo, Golurk could hit three different Types for Weakness, meaning

• Virtually all Colorless-Types
  • Virtually all Darkness-Types
  • A significant majority of Psychic-Types
could be slammed for 240 points of damage, even without any other boosting effects not inherent to the attack and exploiting Weakness.

Back