Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2015 - Kanto E4 (Results)

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
Celever said:
I've just been told that my fake doesn't have weight/height etc. etc., because honestly I've never even noticed them on a card or a fake before x_x. Will I be penalised more points for editing them in, or just them not being on there in the first place?

I rarely, if ever, put those in on a card. Mostly because I forget. I wasn't docked points last month for it, so I doubt it makes much difference.

Delta

Selling colourful Pokemon to Celadon Game Corner
34gkdc1.png

Oh boy, oh boy.
Attack and power don't work in complete conjunction but it's kinda cool. :D
I finally get around to making the card and I'm completely stumped at what blank to use. It's a long shot but I decided to use classic even though I know it's probably wrong. Other than that the only thing that really got me was the font sizes. I'll leave whatever else I haven't picked up to a better eye.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
IA did say he was going to extend the deadline. I don't think a formal date has been set yet, but everyone probably has at least a day or two to make final submissions.

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
First post on the amazing new site!

Anyways, the May round is up, and big thanks to Athena for getting it posted as I was confined within the evil rituals of final exams. So be sure to check it out and be ready to show off your skills! http://www.pokebeach.com/2015/05/may-create-a-card-gym-leaders

Also, as I noted previously, I will be extending this round's submission date. You have until May 9th 11 PM EDT to turn your card in. Previous rules still take affect for this round, so you will not get the opportunity to win a medal (only for May and onwards).

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
Glad this thread will load for me again. Based on whatever era Rising Rivals was.
[F] - Machamp
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png
-- 110 HP

Basic

068.png

SP - Elite Four's Pokémon (Bruno)

Poké-Power: Daily Training
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a basic [F] Energy, show it to your opponent, and attach it to Machamp
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png
. Shuffle your deck afterward. This power can't be used if Machamp
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png
is affected by a Special Condition.

[F][C] Smack Down -- 30
Discard an Energy card attached to the Defending Pokémon.

[F][F][C] Final Blow -- 50
If the Defending Pokémon has any Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, this attack's base damage is 100 instead of 50.

Weakness: [P] x2 Resistance: __
Retreat: [C][C][C]
May not be exactly what we're going for, but I wanted to use SP, so I did. Just happy to get the entry finished.

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
To go to the actual submission posts, please click the "" button next to "USERNAME said:" on the post title bar in the quotes. Not all participants entries are viewable through the quotes, so it's best to follow the arrow to the actual post.

Fan Voting: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1osh-snEToie3TG8uwqHXvfWmxQSVnNlg9IUX2XLA63Y/viewform?usp=send_form

ENDS 5/13 at 11 PM EDT

Lances%20Kingdra%20coacutepia_zps27egwapv.png

I always loved [link=[URL]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/4/4e/MultiTechnicalMachine01Expedition144.jpg/427px-MultiTechnicalMachine01Expedition144.jpg]TM[/URL] cards[/link] on the e-card era. Sadly, they were pretty situational and have not enjoyed wide use. I designed this guy to abuse them, bypassing the '[link=[URL]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/6/63/MiracleSphereSkyridge129.jpg]only[/URL] specific cards may use it[/link]' rule.

[Stage 1] Lorelei's Dewgong HP110 [W]
dewgong.gif

14e49jm.jpg
Hydration
Each time a Stadium card that features a lake, a beach or the sea is put into play, heal 40 damage from this Pokémon.

[W][C] Beach Ball Slam 60
Flip 2 coins. If both of them are heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed. If both of them are tails, this Pokémon is now Confused.

[W][W][C] Tidal Cleanse 80
Discard all Energy cards attached to all Pokémon in play.

Weakness:[M]x2
Resistance: [R]-20
Retreat: [C][C]
Dewgong loves to snooze on bitterly cold ice. The sight of this Pokémon sleeping on a glacier was mistakenly thought to be a mermaid by a mariner long ago.

Well, here's my submission I guess! Hope it doesn't make you all cringe too much :p. I'd feel bad if I didn't credit Vom for helping me with the wording of the cards, since my original wording was way off lol. Don't worry though, all the rest of it were my ideas though! :3

[Stage 1] Lance's Gyarados HP140 [W]
[Delta Supremacy] When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may search your deck for a Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.
gyarados-3.gif

14e49jm.jpg
Group Hunt
As long as you have more evolved Pokémon in play than your opponent; each Pokémon in play, in each player's hand, and in each player's discard pile has no Abilities or Ancient Traits, except for your evolved Pokémon.
[W][W][C] Submarine Rampage 80
If the Defending Pokémon isn't [W], you may discard it and all cards attached to it instead of dealing damage.

Weakness: [L]x2
Resistance: -
Once Gyarados goes on a rampage, its ferociously violent blood doesn't calm until it has burned everything down. There are records of this Pokémon's rampages lasting a whole month.
The wording comes of way too many cards Dx Namely Garbodor DRX, Aggron DRX and Ultra Ball. The original thing had waaay more references xD

There, drawing finished; at least I did something sort-of-productive this weekend.

Lorelei%2527s%2520glaceon.png

There's not much I can say about it, really; Lorelei is the only kanto E4 I like, and as much as I love the ice type, her pokemon are... not great. Gen 1 wasn't good for ice types, really, barring articuno, who I thought would be too exaggerated for her.

My mechanics for owner's pokemon are a mixture of the gym era and SP pokemon; owner's pokemon do not evolve from or to anyone, are basic even if they're evolved, but tend to have moves that are either helpful or powerful, justifying the one-per deck limit I put onto them. This particular card is... not any of those.
I mean, I'm sure you could combine it with blastoise or some kind of water energy acceleration to do oodles of damage, but it becomes useless if you're facing a fire-type deck; lucky for you, you can only have one at the time, so there's that.

I thought about adding "Lorelei, age 4" to the drawing at the end to signify that that is lorelei's drawing, but I decided against it because it was just too dumb, and cards usually don't have words in their illustrations. Besides, I hoped the pokedolls would be enough to see that, even if it's based on a very small, inconsequential and optional piece of information from one of the less necessary games in the franchise.
So, just in case: that would be a young Lorelei's drawing of her glaceon having a tea party with her dolls.

There.

Stage 1 Lorelei's Cloyster HP110
AquaNRG

Evolves from Shellder

cloyster.gif

NO. 091 Bivalve Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 292.1 lbs.

AbilityBOL
Concealed Storage
Your opponent can't discard any Pokémon Tool cards attached to this Pokémon.

AquaNRG
AquaNRG
WhiteNRG
Spike Barricade 100
If the Defending Pokémon goes to the Bench during your opponent's next turn, put 4 damage counters on that Pokémon.

weakness
GrassNRG
x2 resistance
NoneNRG

retreat
WhiteNRG
WhiteNRG
WhiteNRG

For protection, it uses its harder-than-diamonds shell. It also shoots spikes from the shell.

Concealed Storage: Simisage XY, Skarmory-EX
Spike Barricade: PTCG Rules Handbook, Machamp FuF,
From the PTCG Rules Handbook:

Entry from Red/Blue to fit with the theme :>

Lorelei's Cloyster is based on the Cloyster Lorelei has in the manga that protects the ice dolls of Green and Sabrina, hence the Concealed Storage. The ability primarily allows Cloyster to keep its tool under Item Lock. The Spike Barricade is based on a Cloyster's Spike Cannon used in the crafty ways of Lorelei. The primary function of the attack is to cause the retreating/switching/rushing out of status-effected Pokemon-EX to be detrimental; the aim is to use an Attack + Laser + Band/Bangle combo to hit for 140/150.

Aaaaand I was *this* close to make the card a Basic Pokemon n.n;;;

Stage 1/ Haunter // HP70
TCGMind

092.png
Evolves from Gastly

/Δ Levitate/ Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent's
TCGRock
Pokémon.
haunter-3.gif

NO. 93/Gas Pokémon/HT: 5'03"/WT: 0.2 lbs.
SF-Ability
Poison Growth

Each of your Gastly and Gengar in play (including Agatha's Gastly and Agatha's Gengar) gets +10 HP.

TCGMind
TCGMind
TCGWhite
Haunted Gas

Flip 2 coins. If 1 of them is heads, choose either Paralysis or Poison. Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now affected by that Special Condition. If both of them are heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Poisoned. If both of them are tails, this Pokémon's remaining HP is now 10.

Weakness:
TCGDark
x2
Resistance:
TCGRock
Retreat:
TCGWhite

Haunter is a dangerous Pokémon. If one beckons you while floating in darkness, you must never approach it. This Pokémon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.
AW07
30px-SetSymbolPromo.png
Thought about using almost the exact layout for a Gengar, but I thankfully realized almost immediately that it would be OP as heck.

I think that playable NFE Pokémon should be a thing, and a Agatha deck (in the same vein as Magma/Aqua decks) would actually be a good thing with something like this.

Now, something that I've seen a lot of people do, against HS' advice, was using Ancient Trait as additional abilities. However, they're more like Poké-Bodies: passive effects that don't need to be triggered (Alpha Heal and Omega Barrier, for example), so I went the most accurate way I could here with Levitate. Levitate is insanely good, so I had to balance the rest of the card to /not/ be that good. :p Attack very random, with even a bad outcome to make it risky (in other words, the attack is bad. :v). The Ability is just some extra touch, because you can't really abuse it that much, or at least I look at it that way.

References:
Butterfree FB, Supreme Victors
Amoongus PLS
Pyroar FLF
Floette FLF

I am entering the hitmonchan, and here is a trainer that it works in tandem with

[Stage 1] Bruno’s Steelix HP 150 [F]
NO. 208 Iron Snake Pokémon HT: 30’02” WT: 881.8 lbs.

[Ability] Sheer Force
Once during your turn, (before your attack), you may use this power. If you do, until the end of your turn, whenever you flip a coin for one of this Pokémon’s attacks, treat it as tails. Prevent all effects of this Pokémon’s attacks, except damage, done to each Pokémon in play. This Pokémon’s attacks do 30 more damage to all Defending Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

[F][C] Chew 10
Before doing damage, discard all Pokémon Tool cards attached to your opponent’s Active Pokémon. If your opponent’s Active Pokémon has any Special Energy cards attached to it, flip a coin. If heads, attach a Basic [F] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

[F]F][F][C] Random Surfacing 10
Flip a number of coins equal to the number of [F] Pokémon you have in play. For each heads, put 1 damage counter on one of your opponent’s Pokémon. If you flipped at least one heads, your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Confused.

[F][F][F][F][C] Crippling Tail Slam 60
Before doing damage, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokémon that have any damage counters on them. Does 10 to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) Flip a coin. If heads, all damage done to all Defending Pokémon during your next turn is increased by 30.

Weakness: [G]x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

It is said that if an Onix lives for 100 years, its composition becomes diamondlike as it evolves into a Steelix.

right so let's get this over with

RipF9pZ.png

Hate this owner Pokemon stuff. WHATEVS

So this Jynx is all utility. Its first attack is made specifically to lessen the di[C][C]kery that is Quaking Punch, but its reach extends to all Pokemon-EX. Exeggutor has shown just how debilitating ten damage a turn can be, but without a never-ending stream of Lysandre, all your opponent needs to do is find a way to get a regular Pokemon up front and the lock is broken.

The second attack is an interesting take on straight draw. Get rid of Rough Seas so your opponent can't use it, etc. Or just don't be greedy and take the two cards.

The third attack (thank you Salamence RSK for making three attacks a thing) is just for getting your Benched Pokemon healed up. The attack cost should mean that swapping out your attackers to be healed by Jynx is not always going to be desirable.

Since seeing Pidove RSK's attack that has Pidove in its attack name, I thought I'd be cool and do it for Jynx too.

Oh, and no sleeping allowed, because I mean who wants to read another Jynx card that puts you to sleep? BORING.

r8/h8

Stage 2 // Bruno's Machamp // HP150 [F]
067.png
Evolves from Bruno's Machoke
machamp.gif

NO. 068 Superpower Pokémon HT: 5'03'' WT: 286.6lbs

[Ability] Quick Workout
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a Special Energy from your hand to this Pokémon.

[F][F][C] Over-the-shoulder Toss 40x
Discard 1 of your Benched Pokémon and all cards attached to it. This attack does 40 damage times the number of Energy attached to that Pokémon.

weakness [P] x2
resistance
retreat [C][C][C]

"It punches with its four arms at blinding speed. It can launch 1,000 punches in two seconds."​

References:
Blastoise
Shuppet
Palkia & Dialga Legend

Look at how in synch it is with my avatar. It's fun to watch. Literally made this entry all tonight because I've been putting this off all month. Let's try to bring home the gold again. :D

34gkdc1.png

Oh boy, oh boy.
Attack and power don't work in complete conjunction but it's kinda cool. :D
I finally get around to making the card and I'm completely stumped at what blank to use. It's a long shot but I decided to use classic even though I know it's probably wrong. Other than that the only thing that really got me was the font sizes. I'll leave whatever else I haven't picked up to a better eye.

Is it too late? I finished it during the great exile

sfhg_zpsca02dttz.png

Glad this thread will load for me again. Based on whatever era Rising Rivals was.
[F] - Machamp
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png
-- 110 HP

Basic

068.png

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a basic [F] Energy, show it to your opponent, and attach it to Machamp
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png

[F][C] Smack Down -- 30

If the Defending Pokémon has any Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, this attack's base damage is 100 instead of 50.

May not be exactly what we're going for, but I wanted to use SP, so I did. Just happy to get the entry finished.

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Fan Voting Results

Image-Based:
1st Place: Blui - 4 Points
2nd Place: [TIE] Delta, Zygarde - 2 Points
3rd Place: [TIE] Dynamic Duo, professorlight - 0 points

Text-Based:
1st Place: Reggie McGigas - 4 Points
2nd Place: Celever - 3 Points
3rd Place: Machamp The Champion - 1 Point

Rest of the round's results will be up soon.

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
Apologies for the late scores, site updates and everything got in the way. Without further ado:

Image Scores

Blui:
sfhg_zpsca02dttz.png

The Poké-Power seems really narrow. You have to retreat your Active Pokémon for it to matter most of the time, and then you’d preferably be able to actually do something with the new Active Pokémon. I’m not sure what decks would want this card.

I’m not a fan of the Lost Zone, things like that usually end up just being additional discard piles. I guess you’re using it more like the exile zone in Magic the Gathering here, though, which, while technically acceptable, seems more like a rules hassle than anything else. Don’t forget that certain cards care about what Pokémon are in the Lost Zone, most notably Lost World. I’m not sure if this was a deliberate consideration, but it feels odd to nerf this card’s attack against only a specific strategy. I’m not sure how to word it otherwise, though (the exile zone in MtG is pretty elegant for this, but it’s a lot more universally used).
I’m not sure why all the hassle is even needed. You’re not allowed to do anything after your attack anyway, and you rarely ever are allowed to do anything during your opponent’s turn (and in my opinion, every time you’ve been allowed to do something, it’s been a big mistake on the part of the developers). Why can’t the card go directly to your hand? Unless you somehow want to include the risk of losing to a random Lost World deck as a cost?

Wording errors:
- Sentence order of the power seems a bit off in terms of understandability, but otherwise seems fine.

Fonts and placement errors:
- Seems fine again.

Creativity/Originality: 14/20
(Creative concepts, but it all feels sort of pointless?)
Wording: 15/15
(A minor error.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Everything seems fine.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Too weird for its own good.)
Total: 42/50
Delta:
34gkdc1.png

Poison types are Grass in the Neo-era. Unless Agatha somehow turned her Crobat into a ghost, I don’t see why this card would be any different.

The HP also seems off. Very few Stage 2 Pokémon deserved more than 100 HP back in the day, and Crobat wasn’t one of them. It even took until Mysterious Treasures for a non-ex Crobat card to get more than 90.

Evolving from a regular old Golbat also seems weird. The old owner’s Pokémon evolved from equivalent owner’s Pokémon, I’m not sure why this card wouldn’t. Does Agatha catch your Golbat as it evolves?

Speedstar seems very powerful. Like, oppressively powerful. I guess that’s par for the course for some of the older cards, but still. I can already see Elekid decks running rampant. It’s hard to place a card like this, since I think it would be acceptable in Base Set, but not in Neo Genesis. The idea is fine, though, but effects which seem fair and balanced like this are almost never that. Symmetrical effects never really are symmetrical. I think it would’ve been more acceptable if Crobat had to be active.

Double Team, while seemingly having nothing to do with Double Team, is a nice anti-synergy with the power to keep it in check. This is again why I think the power should’ve only worked when Crobat is active. That being said, it would play rather interestingly. If your opponent is playing around the power, Crobat could grow big enough to become a very real threat. If they get hurt by the power a lot, on the other hand, Crobat will also perform worse.

Dark Crobat has the highest Retreat Cost of any Crobat, at a whopping 1. Crobat is fast, it’s what it does, and Retreat Cost is used to reflect that. 2 seems awfully high here.

Wording errors:
- The wording of the power after “if you do” feels wrong on a couple of levels. First of all, “discard” not “remove”. Second of all, it should include the word “choose” at least somewhere.
- The power is missing a “This power can't be used if Agatha’s Crobat is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.” clause.
- “Flip the amount of coins […]” should be “flip a coin for each Energy card attached to Agatha’s Crobat”.

- Placement seems roughly correct, though I’m a bit saddened not to see an Agatha face in the bottom right corner.

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(Nice balancing act between the power and attack.)
Wording: 8/15
(A few big mistakes and a minor one.)
(Everything within acceptable parameters.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Quite a few things which seem off compared to what a Crobat would look like in the era, as well as some power issues.)
Total: 35/50
professorlight:
Lorelei%2527s%2520glaceon.png

Generation 1 Ice types aren’t great? How about Dewgong? Or Cloyster? Or Lapras? Or… yeah, well, those.

I’m not sure I like the idea of limiting Owner’s Pokémon to 1 per deck. The more powerful 1-per-deck cards, the lower the odds are of drawing that specific card, and the lower the consistency of the game becomes. It also makes deck-building a lot more unwieldy and makes adding synergies and strategies far harder. It also increases the power of cards which search for Pokémon dramatically, which isn’t a good thing. The best thing about the Shining Pokémon in the Neo sets was that they were unplayable. Having non-special rare cards be restricted to 1 per deck sound like a bad idea from an overall game design point of view.

I love the flavour of Ambient Temperature. It’s a nice way of using Energy in a non-conventional way, and I don’t think anything like it has been tried before. Great job!

Snowstorm is a bit busy and a bit weird, but I guess it’s okay. I’m guessing the flavour is the wind either blowing towards Glaceon, giving it Energy, or towards your opponent’s Pokémon, damaging them?

Wording errors:
- “On your deck” should be “in your deck”.
- “Energy” should be capitalised. x2
- The comma after “coin” should be a full stop.
- The “can” should be “may”. x2
- “Energy” should be “Energy cards”. x2
- The last part of the attack should be something like “This attack does 10 damage times the number of Energy cards discarded to any number of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon”. I don’t know the exact wording, but I do know yours is wrong. At the very least “equivalent” should be “equal”.

- The damage seems to be a pixel too low compared to the attack name.

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(Very flavourful Ability.)
Wording: 6.5/15
(One big error, lots of small errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Attack name does not line up with the damage.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(Owner’s rule leads to a worse deckbuilding experience and more variance.)
Total: 36.5/50
PMJ & Athena:
RipF9pZ.png

Obnoxious Stare… EX-hate is always good. Next.

Freeze Over feels a bit weird flavourfully, but the mechanics seem quite nice. I like the idea of both consuming a limited resource for cards and possibly making Stadium cards a one-sided effect.

A Kiss from Jynx both damaging and healing a benched Pokémon seems a bit wierd, but it does make this a pretty decent support Pokémon. It might be on the strong side, but is probably far from broken.

Overall this seems like a very nice take on a support Pokémon.

Wording errors:
- “Human Shape” is 2 words. For a second there I thought you made that species up ._.
- I feel the wording for the first attack should be “[…] your opponent can’t attack with any of his or her Pokémon […]”, since your opponent isn’t the one attacking. Not sure, though.

- The placement of the HP feels a tiny bit off, but is still acceptable. Everything else is fine.

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Very fun support design.)
Wording: 14/15
(Humanshape.)
(Everything seems in order.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Nothing too powerful going on, though perhaps the package is pushing it.)
Total: 45/50
Zygarde:
Lances%20Kingdra%20coacutepia_zps27egwapv.png

I’m really not sure whether to love you for making an e-card or hate you for almost exactly copying an attack I used on a card which won the CaC back in August. While I don’t think this was intentional (it’d be unbelievably stupid if it were), this does make it kind of hard for me to judge the creativity of the card. I think it’s a pretty neat and creative effect, which is why I used it. I guess that counts for something. I will note that you did not circumvent the Energy requirements like I did, which is probably better.

All this also means that judging wording suddenly becomes very easy. It should be roughly like I did it (although “Technical Machine card” might be more correct, though e-series’ only precedent is Xatu when referring to TMs individually, and it doesn’t use the word “card”).

Other than that there’s not much to say. Everything seems pretty standard power-level-wise compared to the other VS-series cards (everything but the attack is essentially the same as the real Lance’s Kingdra anyway). I’m not sure how Kingdra connects to TMs in terms of flavour, though.

And for the record, Skyridge also added a card to abuse TMs and to circumvent the restrictions: Xatu. It even got them back if you ran out. I like the idea of trying to improve the e-series, but that effort is so obviously futile I’m not sure why any sane person would even attempt it.

Wording errors:
- Searching your deck without shuffling is a very big no-no. This is a rules oversight and costs you a whole 3 points.
- “Energy costs” should be singular.
- You might be missing “Lance’s Gyarados performs that attack.” at the end, but the e-cards are pretty inconsistent when it comes to this, so I’ll let it slide.

- Ashe’s blanks are a weirdly proportioned, but within those proportions things seems to be roughly correct. The text for the attack seems to be a bit too far to the right, though.

Creativity/Originality: 17.5/20
(Interesting use of previously unexplored design space… is what I would’ve said if you didn’t copy my idea. Score is based on the assumption of no ill intent.)
Wording: 11/15
(1 big mistake, 1 minor one.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Attack placement is a bit iffy.)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(Flavour feels off.)

2nd and 3rd Place: A tie between Blui’s Agatha’s Misdreavus and Zygarde’s Lance’s Kingdra, both with 42/50 points.
1st Place: PMJ and Athena’s Lorelei’s Jynx, with 45/50 points.

Text Scores

bbninjas:
Stage 1 Lorelei's Cloyster HP110
AquaNRG

Evolves from Shellder

cloyster.gif

NO. 091 Bivalve Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 292.1 lbs.

AbilityBOL
Concealed Storage
Your opponent can't discard any Pokémon Tool cards attached to this Pokémon.

AquaNRG
AquaNRG
WhiteNRG
Spike Barricade 100
If the Defending Pokémon goes to the Bench during your opponent's next turn, put 4 damage counters on that Pokémon.

weakness
GrassNRG
x2 resistance
NoneNRG

retreat
WhiteNRG
WhiteNRG
WhiteNRG

For protection, it uses its harder-than-diamonds shell. It also shoots spikes from the shell.

Man, that Ability sounds narrow. Not much else to say, I guess. There’s some flavour, so I guess there’s that.

Spike Barricade is quite nice, and gets around the usual way of dealing with this (mainly Switch). That being said, 100 sounds like an awful lot for a 3-Energy attack with upside. Power creep has been pretty severe these last few years, so I guess it’s not that big of a deal, but still.

Evolving from a non-owner’s Pokémon is a bit weird (is Lorelei catching your Shellder and evolving it?), but sure, whatever.

Wording errors:
- Forretress all the way back in Neo Discovery does roughly what your attack tries to do (yes, I found a reference for your weird attack, I’m crazy like that), and seems to indicate that the wording should be “If the Defending Pokémon becomes a Benched Pokémon” or something like that. However, the wording has changed dramatically since then, so I guess your wording might as well be correct.

(Flavourful stuff.)
Wording: 15/15
(I think everything’s fine.)
Believability/Playability: 13/15
(100 strikes me as a lot.)
Celever:
[Stage 1] Lorelei's Dewgong HP110 [W]
dewgong.gif

14e49jm.jpg
Hydration
Each time a Stadium card that features a lake, a beach or the sea is put into play, heal 40 damage from this Pokémon.

[W][C] Beach Ball Slam 60
Flip 2 coins. If both of them are heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed. If both of them are tails, this Pokémon is now Confused.

[W][W][C] Tidal Cleanse 80
Discard all Energy cards attached to all Pokémon in play.

Weakness:[M]x2
Resistance: [R]-20
Dewgong loves to snooze on bitterly cold ice. The sight of this Pokémon sleeping on a glacier was mistakenly thought to be a mermaid by a mariner long ago.

I feel like such a spoil sport, but that’s sadly not how Pokémon cards work. Art shouldn’t be relevant, otherwise they’d never be allowed to reprint cards with new art, and we’d be stuck with the bad 3D art of Base Set for things like Poké Ball and Potion (though, to be fair, I do actually prefer those). Worst of all, this card could quickly turn Pokémon into a game of semantics, and they’d have to errata this card to list a continuously updating list of all Stadiums which apply. Does Mirage Stadium count? The art features a lake, but the card as a whole implies it’s simply a mirage. What might’ve been better, though still problematic when you consider the TCG is translated into quite a few different languages, is for the Ability to activate when a Stadium with Beach, Lake or Sea in the name is put into play.

Beach Ball slam is quite fun. I like the 50% something 50% nothing. In terms of flavour, I’m assuming the paralysis is when the beach ball is a direct hit and the confusion is when it’s some sort of weird trick shot? I guess that could work.

Tidal Cleanse feels scary. I’ve you’ve never lived through the horror that was Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal, removing Energy might not seems like a big deal, but it really is. Setting back an opponent’s set-up can be disastrous, and it doesn’t seem hard to find a deck which uses a very Energy-efficient main attacker and then simply keeps charging up a benched Dewgong which only comes in to undo everything your opponent’s been doing to try and stop it. That doesn’t sound particularly fun.

Resistance to fire strikes me as odd. Dewgong in the games is part Ice, and giving it a weakness to Metal acknowledges this. Giving it resistance to Fire seems to specifically contradict this. Unless of course you’re hinting at the Ability Thick Fat, which can’t be Dewgong’s Ability, because its Ability is Hydration, it says so on the card.

A nice a creative attempt, though perhaps it deviates a bit too much from what’s acceptable.

Wording errors:
- I think “each time” should be “whenever”.

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(Very flavourful attacks, creative Ability)
(I think “each time” is wrong.)
Believability/Playability: 6/15
(Very impactful attack, impossible Ability, resistance to fire.)
Total: 36/50
Keeper of Night:
[F] - Machamp
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png
-- 110 HP

Basic

068.png

Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png
Pok%C3%A9mon_SP_4.png

[F][C] Smack Down -- 30

110HP seems a bit high for an SP (it’s a full 10 higher than the actual Machamp SP). This was before the HGSS minor power creep, and way before the BW massive power creep. Steelix, Golem and somehow Gyarados are the only SP Pokémon with over 100 HP. I guess it’s acceptable, but I don’t like it.

Daily Training feels scary. Like, really scary. Searching your deck for Energy cards and attaching it to a Pokémon is always quite powerful, and very few Pokémon have been allowed to do it (in the era I can only think of Gardevoir (with drawback), Dark Electrode and Starmie ∂). Noticeably, all those who’ve been allowed to do it are evolved. On a Basic this feels pretty ridiculous.

Smack Down seems even scarier. Not only do you get free Energy cards, your opponent doesn’t even get their regular ones. Discarding Energy without a coin flip or a drawback wasn’t something which was done often back in the SP era (not that it’s all that common nowadays), and the reason is probably that it isn’t very fun. For only 2 Energy (or, more realistically, 0), being able to discard an Energy seems pretty good. 30 damage on top seems even better. Being able to do all of this turn 1? Wow. Being able to do all of this turn 1 without using your Energy of the turn using an Energy Gain? I think that qualifies as broken. SP was already way too dominant at the time, this card would’ve just ruined the game.

Oh, and final blow destroys your opponent’s SP Pokémon with an Energy Gain as well, turn 2, again while being able to attach 2 Energy cards to a Benched Pokémon (and charging other Machamp).

Everything by itself seems slightly more powerful than what would be acceptable at the time. Everything combined and it’s broken without a doubt.

Wording errors:
- You’re searching for a basic [F] Energy card, Energy isn’t Energy unless it’s attached to a Pokémon.

(Flavour seems right, but not a lot of synergy and creativity, IMO.)
(1 minor error.)
Believability/Playability: 7/15
(Far too powerful.)
Total: 35/50
Luispipe8:
Stage 1/ Haunter // HP70
TCGMind

092.png
Evolves from Gastly

/Δ Levitate/ Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent's
TCGRock
Pokémon.
haunter-3.gif

NO. 93/Gas Pokémon/HT: 5'03"/WT: 0.2 lbs.
SF-Ability
Poison Growth

Each of your Gastly and Gengar in play (including Agatha's Gastly and Agatha's Gengar) gets +10 HP.

TCGMind
TCGMind
TCGWhite
Haunted Gas

Flip 2 coins. If 1 of them is heads, choose either Paralysis or Poison. Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now affected by that Special Condition. If both of them are heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Poisoned. If both of them are tails, this Pokémon's remaining HP is now 10.

Weakness:
TCGDark
x2
Resistance:
TCGRock
Retreat:
TCGWhite

Haunter is a dangerous Pokémon. If one beckons you while floating in darkness, you must never approach it. This Pokémon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.
AW07
30px-SetSymbolPromo.png

Yay, someone using an Ancient Trait correctly, despite naming it after an Ability!
I like that you acknowledge that it’s insanely good, so I don’t have to point it out. I still will, though. It is insanely good… against the right decks. Pokémon is still a game which attempts to have a large casual appeal (more so than ever, I dare say), and this is not that. No 9 year old (let’s call her suzy) wants to have their entire Machamp/Primeape/Rhydon/Hitmonchan (I’m just naming names here) countered by a silly Haunter. It just cannot beat it, ever. Even the attack’s drawback doesn’t kill it. Suzy just figured out that you can’t just jam 5 different types into a single deck and hope it works out, and now that she finally has a “consistent” deck, her stupid friend comes along with some stupid Haunter deck and beats her without even trying. That does not sound like fun.
… It’s not horrible, but I think there’s a reason the TCG puts a limit on Resistance’s damage reduction (and even lowered it in recent years): resistance is not fun. Giving something super-resistance therefore is even more not fun. I think a card being fun is the most important thing, and this is not.

Poison Growth, despite being named a bit weirdly, is alright I guess. I feel there’s a missed oppurtunity of making it a bit more interesting (Growth and the Gastly-line always makes me think of Sabrina’s Gastly), but this is more in line with recent Abilities. Being as boring as recent cards isn’t always a plus, though, because if it were we could just get rid of the creativity part of this contest.

Haunted Gas is quite fun. Paralysis and Poison is perhaps the most dangerous combination, so this is pretty tempting, but the potential drawback is real. I like that it doesn’t just outright KO you, which would not only make it significantly worse, but also a lot more swingy.

Resistance to fighting makes sense considering that’s the standard nowadays, but it does seem rather silly combined with the Ancient Trait. It’s not a problem, but it felt worth mentioning.

Wording errors:
- Thanks for saving me the trouble of finding a reference to point out why you’re wrong: Poison and paralysis aren’t Special Conditions, Poisoned and Paralysed are. The Butterfree FB you linked to clearly uses “Poisoned”.
- I don’t think I’d put Agatha’s whatever between brackets, but I guess it depends on how the Owner’s Pokémon work in this format. Not really something to deduct points for.
- That’s it, I think.
- I’m basically adding more lines to make you think you screwed up badly. Muhahahaha!
- It’s not like it was hard to mess up this time. At least with Abilities you can’t mess up Bodies and Powers.
- Oh yeah, I remembered.
- I always remember. (Here’s something between brackets to make it seem even more like an actual correction.
- I guess I should probably stop now. “Sadly” is here in between quotation marks to make it seem like you misspelled something. Okay, that’s it, “I’m stopping”.

Creativity/Originality: 13/20
(Not very coherent, nothing really wows more and nothing really novel.)
Wording: 13/15
(Wrong use of terminology.)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(Unfun.)
Total: 38/50
Machamp The Champion:
Stage 2 // Bruno's Machamp // HP150 [F]
067.png
Evolves from Bruno's Machoke
machamp.gif

NO. 068 Superpower Pokémon HT: 5'03'' WT: 286.6lbs

[Ability] Quick Workout
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a Special Energy from your hand to this Pokémon.

[F][F][C] Over-the-shoulder Toss 40x
Discard 1 of your Benched Pokémon and all cards attached to it. This attack does 40 damage times the number of Energy attached to that Pokémon.

weakness [P] x2
resistance
retreat [C][C][C]

"It punches with its four arms at blinding speed. It can launch 1,000 punches in two seconds."​

Attaching Special Energy cards seems like a dangerous design space, which is why it isn’t as explored and almost every card limits extra Energies to basic ones. This doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be explored, though, and a Stage 2 seems like the perfect place to do this.

Over-the-shoulder Toss is a very flavourful move. I’m not sure why Energy attached to that Pokémon is involved, but the entire thing is definitely very evocative. I feel like it would be allowed to cost less. Not only are you using Energy attached to your other Pokémon as well, you’d need a pretty robust engine to keep this going. I know you get free Energy with the Ability, but you’re still limited in the amount of Energy you’re expected to have. Getting rid of a damaged Benched Pokémon might be a fun use of the attack, but doesn’t seem that viable for a Stage 2.

Wording errors:
- “Special Energy” isn’t a thing unless it’s attached to a Pokémon, before that it’s a “Special Energy card”. It even says so in your reference.
- “The” and “shoulder” should be capitalised, the reference you used is outdated. If you’re using Abilities, you’re using the newer wording. (See for example Fennekin XY.)

(Creative and very flavourful.)
(2 minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 15/15
(Seems fine.)
Total: 45/50
Reggie McGigas:
[Basic] Hitmonchan HP 100 [F]
hitmonchan.gif

[Ability] Brawler
If you have a supporter card named Bruno in your hand, you may discard it. If you do, this Pokémon's attacks do 50 more damage.

[F][C] Stone Cold Stunner 30+
If your opponent's Active Pokémon is [P] type, your opponent's Active Pokémon can't attack during your opponent's next turn.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

It is one of the most skilled fighters. It has a devastating punch that can stop a smaller car right in its tracks.

I love the idea behind the Ability. It links a Pokémon to a specific Trainer without being as in-your-face as previous cards did it. The design if quite clever, and the reward can indeed be quite big since it uses a limited resource. Very clever.

The attack is a lot less clever, I think. The problem with this kind of attack is that it really hates on a specific type, which a lot of newer players won’t appreciate. Go read the first paragraph of the rating of Luispipe’s entry. It’s not as bad as there, but it still applies. They nerfed resistance, and now you guys all seem to want to go and take it even further in the other direction. If you want to punish Psychic types (and I understand why a Fighting type would want to), do it with more damage, not with damage reduction or prevention

Overall pretty neat, though.

Wording errors:
- You’re missing either “Once during your turn” or “as often as you like during your turn” at the beginning of the Ability. This is a rules clarification oversight, which is -3 points.
- “If your opponent's Active Pokémon is [P] type” should be “If your opponent's Active Pokémon is a [P] Pokémon”.
- Also, I can’t help but point this out: Bruno should say “during your opponent’s next turn” or “until your next turn” (in which case it should be in front), since Weakness is mostly irrelevant during your turn.

(Fun and elegant owner’s mechanic, very clever!)
Wording: 10/15
(A big error and a regular error.)
Believability/Playability: 13/15
(The attack might be a bit too unfun.)
Total: 40/50
SeventhPrize:
[Stage 1] Bruno’s Steelix HP 150 [F]
NO. 208 Iron Snake Pokémon HT: 30’02” WT: 881.8 lbs.

[Ability] Sheer Force
Once during your turn, (before your attack), you may use this power. If you do, until the end of your turn, whenever you flip a coin for one of this Pokémon’s attacks, treat it as tails. Prevent all effects of this Pokémon’s attacks, except damage, done to each Pokémon in play. This Pokémon’s attacks do 30 more damage to all Defending Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

[F][C] Chew 10
Before doing damage, discard all Pokémon Tool cards attached to your opponent’s Active Pokémon. If your opponent’s Active Pokémon has any Special Energy cards attached to it, flip a coin. If heads, attach a Basic [F] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

[F]F][F][C] Random Surfacing 10
Flip a number of coins equal to the number of [F] Pokémon you have in play. For each heads, put 1 damage counter on one of your opponent’s Pokémon. If you flipped at least one heads, your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Confused.

[F][F][F][F][C] Crippling Tail Slam 60
Before doing damage, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokémon that have any damage counters on them. Does 10 to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) Flip a coin. If heads, all damage done to all Defending Pokémon during your next turn is increased by 30.

Weakness: [G]x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

It is said that if an Onix lives for 100 years, its composition becomes diamondlike as it evolves into a Steelix.

My first thought when looking at this entry, without even reading it, is: wow, that’s a lot of text! I know that really isn’t an issue with text-based entries, but this seems unprintable. I don’t think having to add a magnifying glass to starter decks is a good idea.
… It also means I have to judge more, and increases your odds of messing up somewhere. And no, more attacks won’t necessarily increase your creativity score. I prefer elegance and synergy. For example, Reggie’s entry got 17/20 for creativity and had like 2 lines of text, but one of those 2 was sweet and elegant and creative.

Also, we barely ever see 3 different things on a card anymore, let alone a full 4.

*Groan* lets go through all this, then.

Sheer force is needlessly complicated. I guess what it does is interesting, but if you had anything near a normal card, this could just be part of the attacks.

Chew feels… weird. I’m guessing that the flavour is that chewing eats the Tool (makes sense), and that if the Defending Pokémon has a Special Energy attached to it it somehow gives Steelix Energy? … Yeah, sure, whatever.

Random Surfacing is even weirder flavourfully. I get the confusion (though that’s not something Fighting Pokémon usually do), but what’s so random about the surfacing if it damages everything? The attack is also again a lot of random stuff thrown together.

Crippling Tail Slam is a crippling train wreck. I guess I understand what it does, but it tries to do so much and fall apart completely because of it.

I feel the only way to review this card is with platitudes. It's better to do one thing well than many second-rate. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Less is more.

Also, fighting type Steelix, sure, but weakness to grass? That just feels wrong…

Wording errors:
- There shouldn’t be a comma after “Once during your turn”.
- “You may use this power”, except it’s an Ability…
- There’s only 1 Defending Pokémon nowadays, unless you changed the rules without mentioning this (in which case: don’t). x2
- “Basic” shouldn’t be capitalised.
- I think “If you flipped at least one heads” should just be “If at least one of them is heads”.
- “Have” should be “has” in the 3rd attack.
- There should be a “this attack” in front of the does (since there’s text before it).
- “During your next turn” should come earlier.
- Possibly other stuff, but I’m not sure how often I want to read through everything here.

Creativity/Originality: 13/20
(Some new stuff, hidden beneath a lot of text.)
Wording: 5/15
(Lots of minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 5/15
(Not only would none of these ever realistically fit on a card, I don’t see why anyone would want it to.)
Total: 23/50
Vom:
[Stage 1] Lance's Gyarados HP140 [W]
[Delta Supremacy] When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may search your deck for a Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.
gyarados-3.gif

14e49jm.jpg
Group Hunt
As long as you have more evolved Pokémon in play than your opponent; each Pokémon in play, in each player's hand, and in each player's discard pile has no Abilities or Ancient Traits, except for your evolved Pokémon.
[W][W][C] Submarine Rampage 80
If the Defending Pokémon isn't [W], you may discard it and all cards attached to it instead of dealing damage.

Weakness: [L]x2
Resistance: -
Once Gyarados goes on a rampage, its ferociously violent blood doesn't calm until it has burned everything down. There are records of this Pokémon's rampages lasting a whole month.

I’ll be frank, I don’t like this card. I get where it’s coming from, and I get what you’re trying to do, but I don’t like it. I feel Ancient Traits serve 2 functions: being simpler and more Pokémon-specific Abilities, and circumventing Ability-hate. Your cards breaks both of those purposes. It interacts with Ancient Traits, and its Ancient Trait completely blurs the line between Abilities and Ancient Traits.

Other than that, it’s fine. The Ancient Trait would be pretty standard if it were an Ability. Group Hunt is nice. Anything which denies EX-based decks something is fine in my book. It enforces some fun deck building restrictions, and plays well with the Trait. I’m not sure how hunting is involved, but sure. Submarine Rampage is quite powerful against the right decks, though probably not too good. It’s rather creative and rather flavourful, though it could’ve used a more flavourful name.

Wording errors:
- Semicolons don’t exist on cards.
- For some reason “except” should always be between brackets.

(Decent synergy, fun attack.)
(2 minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 14/15
(The Ancient Trait feels too Ability-like.)
Total: 41/50

3rd Place: Vom’s Lance's Gyarados, with 41/50 points.
2nd Place: bbninja’s Lorelei's Cloyster, with 42/50 points.
1st Place: Machamp The Champion’s Bruno’s machamp (try saying that 10 times fast), with 45/50 points.

Reggie McGigas

-
Welp at least I got first in fan voting. Can't believe my attack wasn't creative though I spent like 20 minutes thinking of the coolest mechanics.

Blui

lv85 paladin
What I was aiming for was something that would be special to Agatha's Pokemon. The idea was discarding Pokemon to gain effects then something like Flareon would clean up. Misdreavus would be a sort of instigator for this. The power would grant immunity for smaller Pokemon that would be at risk of sniping, such as Agatha's Gastly or even to produce a wall if your have a mon with a Strafe attack.

The attack was meant to bring back some of the more powerful Agatha's Pokemon in a way that would stop hand disruption, because as a player nothing is worse than having game in hand only to have it N'd away.

Zygarde

Z-Dawg
I can't believe you had made it before oO
I even thought about saving the idea to other CaC by making a Mew instead with that attack. Derped hard on the shuffle thing. Thanks for believing I didn't rip you off! :)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
To be fair, I do not think I've found any ability like on my Cloyster's, but oh well, I'm not complaining.

I completely disagree with that power creep, however. The point of most of my cards are so they can actually have a place in a deck, not a place as a useless card in a TCG set. To do achieve this 100 base damage was chosen so their was the possibility to Knock Out an EX providing the circumstances (something like a Virbank + Band combo). I guess I could've made base 90 (which may have been better in hindsite), but that would be the very least. Also, I would keep in mind that the "awful lot for a 3-Energy attack" is a very difficult energy cost to achieve in today's format.

I'm glad you didn't deduct points for that apparent incorrect wording. I think that considering the most recent reference was actually in the handbook, I would say that my wording is correct. Thanks for finding that other reference however! It's very interesting :)

Anyway, besides that ranting, I'm still glad I came second for the fifth time in a row or something ridiculous XD MtC, I'm coming for that first place soon. Soooon...

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
And another win for PMJ and I! Wooo~ \o/ *high5*

Thanks for the fun contest. :3

Celever

Wheeeee~
Hey, I'd say that's not bad for my first go ;). Thanks for the in-depth feedback, I'll learn from my mistakes there and make sure my cards in the future remain in the realms of "acceptable".

Cards get reprinted? x_______x

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
- That’s it, I think.
- I’m basically adding more lines to make you think you screwed up badly. Muhahahaha!
- It’s not like it was hard to mess up this time. At least with Abilities you can’t mess up Bodies and Powers.
- Oh yeah, I remembered.
- I always remember. (Here’s something between brackets to make it seem even more like an actual correction.
- I guess I should probably stop now. “Sadly” is here in between quotation marks to make it seem like you misspelled something. Okay, that’s it, “I’m stopping”.

lol, you really had time to spare, apparently... :p And as a correction to you, you forgot to close the brackets. :v

But well, yeah, I agree Levitate was absurdly OP. Should have avoided effects instead of damage, but oh, well. Let's see if I actually get an entry for this month's Contest. xD

Congrats to everyone! :D

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
What I was aiming for was something that would be special to Agatha's Pokemon. The idea was discarding Pokemon to gain effects then something like Flareon would clean up. Misdreavus would be a sort of instigator for this. The power would grant immunity for smaller Pokemon that would be at risk of sniping, such as Agatha's Gastly or even to produce a wall if your have a mon with a Strafe attack.

The attack was meant to bring back some of the more powerful Agatha's Pokemon in a way that would stop hand disruption, because as a player nothing is worse than having game in hand only to have it N'd away.
I figured it was supposed to be an Agatha thing, but it still felt rather inconsequential.

Playing around discard effect is indeed something I missed. I'm not sure it's that important and necessarily worth the hassle. Discard is rare enough as is, and not giving your opponent an out against what could be a very powerful effect (assuming you'll be discarding a more powerful Agatha's Pokémon for a very good effect) seems like it wouldn't lead to a healthy format. You are allowed to explain your reasoning or the context of a card, I can't figure everything out myself.

I completely disagree with that power creep, however. The point of most of my cards are so they can actually have a place in a deck, not a place as a useless card in a TCG set. To do achieve this 100 base damage was chosen so their was the possibility to Knock Out an EX providing the circumstances (something like a Virbank + Band combo). I guess I could've made base 90 (which may have been better in hindsite), but that would be the very least. Also, I would keep in mind that the "awful lot for a 3-Energy attack" is a very difficult energy cost to achieve in today's format.
And that's exactly how power creep happens. If the solution to having powerful cards is printing even more powerful cards, you're trapped in a neverending spiral of power creep. It's not because the TCG does it that it is anywhere near a good idea. 100 for 3 on a Stage 1 with UPSIDE is unheard of. Would it be played? Perhaps not. Is it massive power creep? Definitely. Power creep is the worst way of keeping people interested, going for more of the same rather than exploring new and exciting avenues. Yes, the current TCG does it, but let's be honest here, not a lot of recent cards are what any reasonable person would consider creative design. This isn't a contest where you're supposed to create tournament viable cards (anyone can do that by cranking up the power), it's a contest where you're supposed to make creative cards. If you're contributing to power creep, that's bad design, and you'll lose points because of it.

professorlight

Ice Queen
Generation 1 Ice types aren’t great? How about Dewgong? Or Cloyster? Or Lapras? Or… yeah, well, those.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like those; I loved cloyster for years, and lapras as well, but they never were the best for me, not like glaceon and articuno. And I thought that making one of those would be too cliché, but I didn't see many ice types I would have liked to give to lorelei (and they even had to give her a slowbro because they ran out of ice types).

If I ever expand and make more owner's cards, I'll do at least lapras and cloyster.

I’m not sure I like the idea of limiting Owner’s Pokémon to 1 per deck. The more powerful 1-per-deck cards, the lower the odds are of drawing that specific card, and the lower the consistency of the game becomes. It also makes deck-building a lot more unwieldy and makes adding synergies and strategies far harder. It also increases the power of cards which search for Pokémon dramatically, which isn’t a good thing. The best thing about the Shining Pokémon in the Neo sets was that they were unplayable. Having non-special rare cards be restricted to 1 per deck sound like a bad idea from an overall game design point of view.

I'm not sure I understand; I made that restriction because it allows me to make owner's pokemon very powerful (although this glaceon is probably not great at showing that, true); My idea was that since owner's pokemon are unique, they should be unique in the deck as well, and they should obviously be far more powerful than those regular, peasant, pokemon (maybe at a stage 2 level, or the more reasonable EXs); the intention was that you can have several owner's pokemon in a deck, but you can't have several of the same pokemon; it's a tradeoff for the power (I also included it for my mega pokemon. only one mega per deck allowed).
I get what you say about consistency, but that's the point, that your deck won't be designed for consistency, and you'll be giving that up for the power of the owner's pokemon (and you will have to use searches if you want consistency), unlike with EXes, which are limitless (relatively speaking, of course). I think that allowing decks to have multiple (basic) EXes, regardless of high energy costs (because acceleration is a thing) ends up being detrimental to the match, and either forces the opponent to creep his own power, or lose. My intention was to not fall into that with these pokemon.

To be completely honest, I usually design my cards outside of the metagame; I was finally able to yank myself off "collecting", and so I've been happily without checking new cards and wording (as you well know), and powers and trainers and metagame strategies, so I have no idea how any of my cards would fare on a regular deck, only on decks of the same collection, since they're balanced (if you can call what I do "balance") against each other.

I love the flavour of Ambient Temperature. It’s a nice way of using Energy in a non-conventional way, and I don’t think anything like it has been tried before. Great job!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Snowstorm is a bit busy and a bit weird, but I guess it’s okay. I’m guessing the flavour is the wind either blowing towards Glaceon, giving it Energy, or towards your opponent’s Pokémon, damaging them?

My attacks tend to be busy and weird, yes; I blame the gym era's influence; those attacks were almost all special and wordy. They were great; I miss them.
The flavour was actually in conjunction to Ambient Temperature; since it depended on how hot (fire energy) or cold (water energy) the field is, I thought I could make an attack that plays with it, bringing more cold into the field, or preventing it from being there; the colourless cost is obviously because, with Ambient Temperature and two water energies for cost, the attack would make a base 40, and I didn't think it should be forced to escalate so quickly.

Maybe I could make it one colourless, and it would be a bit more powerful and faster, but I liked the two energies.

Wording errors:
- “On your deck” should be “in your deck”.
- “Energy” should be capitalised. x2
- The comma after “coin” should be a full stop.
- The “can” should be “may”. x2
- “Energy” should be “Energy cards”. x2
- The last part of the attack should be something like “This attack does 10 damage times the number of Energy cards discarded to any number of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon”. I don’t know the exact wording, but I do know yours is wrong. At the very least “equivalent” should be “equal”.

All fixed. I often run into trouble with lack of space available, and have to try to have less words without sacrificing the effect, or the second attack, if possible.

- The damage seems to be a pixel too low compared to the attack name.

Also fixed.

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
I'm not sure I understand; I made that restriction because it allows me to make owner's pokemon very powerful (although this glaceon is probably not great at showing that, true); My idea was that since owner's pokemon are unique, they should be unique in the deck as well, and they should obviously be far more powerful than those regular, peasant, pokemon (maybe at a stage 2 level, or the more reasonable EXs); the intention was that you can have several owner's pokemon in a deck, but you can't have several of the same pokemon; it's a tradeoff for the power (I also included it for my mega pokemon. only one mega per deck allowed).
I get what you say about consistency, but that's the point, that your deck won't be designed for consistency, and you'll be giving that up for the power of the owner's pokemon (and you will have to use searches if you want consistency), unlike with EXes, which are limitless (relatively speaking, of course). I think that allowing decks to have multiple (basic) EXes, regardless of high energy costs (because acceleration is a thing) ends up being detrimental to the match, and either forces the opponent to creep his own power, or lose. My intention was to not fall into that with these pokemon.

To be completely honest, I usually design my cards outside of the metagame; I was finally able to yank myself off "collecting", and so I've been happily without checking new cards and wording (as you well know), and powers and trainers and metagame strategies, so I have no idea how any of my cards would fare on a regular deck, only on decks of the same collection, since they're balanced (if you can call what I do "balance") against each other.
One-offs hurt consistency, for obvious reasons, but the problem is that this doesn't mean you can just increase their power lever. There are more than enough cards which search for a Pokémon card, which means that it's never truly difficult to find your one-off. If owner's Pokémon are significantly better than normal Pokémon, it means you're incentivised to just fill your deck with one-offs and cards which search for them, leading to a high-power, high-variance format. It might be a bit more skill-testing, since you're able to find specific Pokémon to deal with specific Pokémon of your opponent, but it does severely reduce strategic deckbuilding and synergy. It also invalidates most non-owner's Pokémon, which can't be a good thing. I know this might be a bit too big picture for a single card, but being a one-off is a mechanic, and mechanics shouldn't be judged in a vacuum.