Discussion Mega Rayquaza EX Counters

I think there is a chance that PGroudon could be a decent matchup against Mrayray, but the decklist needs to be super charged with Shaymin EX and Mega Turbo.

Even then, the speed at which you can stream MRayray is terrifying.

What about a Trevenant/Seismitoad EX deck? If you go first, start with Phantump, bench whatever else and have Wally in your hand, you can Item lock on the first turn of the game slowing down Speedquaza.

What about a Trevenant/Seismitoad EX deck? If you go first, start with Phantump, bench whatever else and have Wally in your hand, you can Item lock on the first turn of the game slowing down Speedquaza.

It's not the items I'm worried about Speedquaza, it's just momentum. For me, N would be very important as Speedquaza needs to burn the deck realistically. My friend made a list for Speedquaza and it's about burn, Sycamore, Ultra Balls, etc. But crucially, no Ns since he theorises that it'll slow the deck down.

Head Ringers also work as well since you can slow with an extra energy plus with Manetric EX with Wide Lens, you can snipe or bring it down hard.

RE: What to do about Mega Ray?

Honestly, I think Manectric decks can easily beat Ray decks. Sure, the setup might be a bit slower, but what Ray gains Manectric gains... which is Mega Turbo. You can set up a Manectric T2 capable of OHKOing the Ray either in mega or in regular form with weakness. They rely a lot on their stadium in play and 7 pokemon to consistently OHKO Manectrics...which is a lot more needed then what manectric needs, which is 2 energy and a tool attached to the opposing pokemon.

I'm just going to refer you to this video to show you how to consistently get up a T1 Ray and why it will never happen:

Emerald break = 2015 T1 Night spear; it can happen, but don't count on it.

I noticed in the video that he's playing Volbeat and Skarmory. Take note Rayquaza players :D

I feel that Enhanced Hammers are pretty good to slow down Rayquazas at least a little bit. They can Trump Card the DCE's back but you may be able to prevent a/some turn(s) of (a) huge Emerald Break attack(s).

I believe that @totodile_it_down was joking :p. Volbeat does not actually do anything for M-Rayquaza.

This thread is for discussing counters to M-Rayquaza EX. Please continue non-counter discussion of M-Rayquaza here.

Oh duh, and here I was postulating how Volbeat could OHKO Seismitoads with silver bangle and hypnolasers.

For counters, all I can see is using safeguard's while powering up a bench M-Groudon since he is protected from Lysandre while Sigilyph can handle Altaria/Ninetales with clever play.

Mega Ray is Resistant to Primal Groudon, mind you, so unless you have Strong Energy/Fighting Stadium/Muscle Band going for you, you're not OHKOing Mega Ray. What's cool about this, though, is that Primal Groudon would get rid of the Sky Field, substantially decreasing the amount of damage your opponent can deal the next turn. He plays another Sky Field? Do another 200 (180 with Resistance, unless you have Strong Energy and Muscle Band or two of the former to OHKO Mega Ray). What Primal Groudon struggles with more than anything is Energy acceleration, which makes it difficult to consistently pump out enough of these bad boys to fight the Ray.

Mega Ray is Resistant to Primal Groudon, mind you, so unless you have Strong Energy/Fighting Stadium/Muscle Band going for you, you're not OHKOing Mega Ray. What's cool about this, though, is that Primal Groudon would get rid of the Sky Field, substantially decreasing the amount of damage your opponent can deal the next turn. He plays another Sky Field? Do another 200 (180 with Resistance, unless you have Strong Energy and Muscle Band or two of the former to OHKO Mega Ray). What Primal Groudon struggles with more than anything is Energy acceleration, which makes it difficult to consistently pump out enough of these bad boys to fight the Ray.

Especially after it losses Scramble Switch in the rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the items I'm worried about Speedquaza, it's just momentum. For me, N would be very important as Speedquaza needs to burn the deck realistically. My friend made a list for Speedquaza and it's about burn, Sycamore, Ultra Balls, etc. But crucially, no Ns since he theorises that it'll slow the deck down.

Head Ringers also work as well since you can slow with an extra energy plus with Manetric EX with Wide Lens, you can snipe or bring it down hard.
And how are Speedquaza players gonna burn through their deck? Well Ultra Ball, VS Seeker, etc and those are all items. And don't forget the Spirit Link.

Primal Groudon does also gain access to Mega Turbo.

Primal Groudon does also gain access to Mega Turbo.

Which is why I think Trainer Mail becomes really powerful in a PGroudon deck. With Mega Turbo, discard either due to Ultra Ball or preferably Scorched Earth is key. Trainer Mail helps drawing for those cards for no penalty.

I think the decks over hyped. You spend so many cards focussed of M-Rayquaza it becomes harder to get altaria out, if you set up before them, and you have anything doing 120 base, itwill be harsh for them.

It's going to get weaker if we are getting XY-on rotation, that much we know.

For right now, Safeguaders and especially Aegislash EX can block it for a little while.

It's going to get weaker if we are getting XY-on rotation, that much we know.

For right now, Safeguaders and especially Aegislash EX can block it for a little while.

^ Perhaps post-rotation, ROS Beautifly could replace Suicune and Sigilyph in the role of EX-damage-blocker that doesn't involve Special Energy cards of any kind, if only via an ability w/ a different name: Miraculous Scales...

^ It's a shame that it can't do that unless it goes through its Wurmple and Silcoon stages, especially since Beautifly is a Stage 2... :(

Aegislash EX is pretty nice against it, I main an Excadrill-Bronzong deck with 2 Aegis and he's pretty good in testing so far on PTCGO.

To be honest, Ray would be horrible without Shaymin EX, but with it the is deck far too consistent from what I've seen so far.

I'd say M-Manectric EX/ZekromLTR/Garbodor/Head Ringer or sth like that.

Decide to go first.
Get Manectric as fast as you can, Garbodor as fast, (Use Megaphones in case you don't go first) and put Head Ringer on Ray. So Ray should take more time to attack.
By your second turn you should have M-Manectric and Garbodor ready. No Altaria Ability, so 1HKO with M-Manectric.
Try to charge Zekrom, it does 120 and is not EX.
Also it could be used with VirbankLaser or Rough Seas. The point is not to let your opponent have Altaria or Sky Field.

Another option could be to use Emolga EX (yes, I know) and Sigilyph. Instead of Zekrom and Manectric. Garbodor is needed.
You can charge yourself with Emolga and then bench Emolga, finally let Sigilyph stop Ray.
Emolga does 60+ 30 if you discard an Energy. So 90+20 from Muscle= (110)(2) for weakness= 220, but still too risky, because of the Muscle.

EDIT 1: Sorry if there is any typo, but my Mac has a corrector and I don't know how to turn it off.

I believe that heavy safeguard pokemon could be an effective, abit temporary, counter to Colorless Mega Rayquaza EX. Deck such as Donphan that can utilize safe guarders can be quite effective as it drastically slows the deck down. Even if the Ray player has a responce they must power it up; any turn that they are using where they are not powering up a Mega is a good turn for you.

At the moment I'm toying with Manectric-EX/Crawdaunt, then plenty of Head Ringers/Hammers. A Head Ringer and 2 energy is a OHKO against Rayquaza- and the Mega variant will have a Spirit Link on most of the time anyway, opening it up for Assault Lase. Yveltal-EX is also OHKO'd by tool + Assault Laser, providing a useful counter to those decks. If I need energy acceleration or a Pyroar counter, I also have MegaMan in the deck, plus Spirit Links.

The problem, obviously, is Manectric's weakness to fighting, with Landorus still in the format and Hawlucha flipping about. Maybe Weakness Policy would be a decent tech to cover that matchup (Plus you're still 2HKOing Landorus with Assault Laser anyway).

Back