Pokemon A Pokémon For Each US State!

ilovecommas

Cute Trainer
Yesterday, I happened across the thread "A Pokémon For Each Real World Country" and thought it was a lot of fun. People had such good ideas and it was neat to hear some facts/opinions about different countries. So, I thought it would be fun to have a discussion on a Pokemon Mascot for each state.

Please list what Pokemon you think best represent a state and why. (If you list very many states I guess it would be best to use a spoiler tag). All of my opinions are based on personal observations and knowledge, some of which could be stereotypes, but please don't be offended by my choices! For example, I know there is more to Kansas than corn, but that is all I know about it ;)

My Picks:
Alaska – Beartic – Polar bears are native to Alaska
Arizona – Onix – I think of AZ’s rock land formations like the Grand Canyon and desert so I think a rock-type fits.
Arkansas – (My state) Sawsbuck (Autumn Form) – AR has a large deer population and parts of Northwest AR are known for beautiful fall foliage. Also, AR is called the Natural State, so what is more natural than a grass type.
California – Solrock – I think CA I think sunshine.
Colorado – Gogoat – their state animal is the sheep. It is also very green and mountainous state so I think it fits.
Connecticut – Shuppet – have you seen “The Haunting In Connecticut” ?
Delaware – Fennakin – their state animal is the Grey Fox.
Florida – Sandile – I think FL, I think gators.
Georgia – Cubchoo – The popular World of Coca-Cola attraction is in Atlanta.
Hawaii – Bellossom – She makes me think of a hula girl and I believe they aptly used her for a mascot when the World Championship was held in HA.
Idaho – Dugtrio - I think potato so therefore ground type…
Illinois – Klink – I think of industry and manufacturing, because Illinois is one of the nation's manufacturing leaders.
Indiana - Exeggcute – this state is a large producer of eggs.
Iowa – Bidoof – they celebrate International Beaver Day….
Kansas – Sunflora – the sunflower is their state flower.
Kentucky - Rapidash – this state is known for horse racing – the Kentucky Derby!
Louisiana – Corphish – I think of crawfish and gumbo/jambalaya.
Maine - Clawitzer- I associate this state with lobsters.
Maryland – Clamperl – I associate them with good clam chowder.
Massachusetts – Murkrow – Salem witches.
Michigan – Azelf – because it is a lake guardian and this state is known for being surrounded by the Great Lakes.
Minnesota - Cryogonal – I associate this state with LOTS of snow (like many northern states – but I’ve personally experienced it by building an 8 foot tall snowman.)
Mississippi – Wishcash - They are known for large mouth bass fish and catfish.
Missouri – Vanillish – Their state desert is ice cream! I thought that was a fun fact.
Montana – Ursaring – The grisly bear is their state animal.
Nebraska – Shiftry – Arbor Day was founded in Nebraska.
Nevada – Cacnea – because it is mostly covered in desert – the Great Basin and Mojave.
New Hampshire – Snover – this state actually has a lot of winter recreational sports because they have on of the larges ski mountains on the East cost.
New Jersey – Snubull – he/she just looks Jersey to me.
New Mexico – Elgyem – Roswell... aliens...
New York – Pidove – I think of NYC as having lots of pigeons.
North Carolina – Pachirisu – Their state mammal is the squirrel.
North Dakota – Sudowoodo - The state fossil is Teredo Petrified Wood.
Ohio –Magikarp - Ohio means great river, so a water type often caught in rivers in the game.
Oklahoma – Tornadus – because unfortunately they experience a lot of tornados.
Oregon – Ducklet – Oragon Ducks.
Pennsylvania - Bronzong - Philadelphia is home to the Liberty Bell.
Rhode Island – Wingull – because it is water type and I associate it with a seagull – It is known as the Ocean State.
South Carolina - Exeggutor – it looks like a palm tree to me and they have one on the state flag.
South Dakota - Unfezant – the pheasant is their state bird.
Tennessee – Meloetta – I associate music with TN. A lot of popular musicians are from there like Dolly.
Texas – Sandshrew – Looks like an armadillo to me (I know it is a “mouse” Pokemon) and TX has tons of armadillos. So many that they have migrated all the way up in to AR from TX.
Utah – Carbink – this state has a history with mining starting in the late 19th century. It was a big boost to their economy and brought in many immigrants.
Vermont – Combee – I think of their maple syrup and honey. Yum! The honeybee is their state insect.
Virginia – Roselia – they have flowers on their state flag and seal and are known for their Dogwood trees.
Washington – Castform (Rainy form) – I associate a lot of cloudy rainy days with WA – Hey that is where the Cullen’s live right?
West Virginia – Golem – this state is called the Mountain State so I chose rock type.
Wisconsin – Miltank – because of WI cheese.
Wyoming – Bouffalant – They historically had a large buffalo population and have one on the state flag.

Some of these are weak and could be interchanged between states, but I wanted to come up with one for each state and some were tough for me to choose. I can’t wait to see what you guys think best represents each state!

ilovecommas said:
Iowa – Bidoof – they celebrate International Beaver Day….
err... I've lived in Iowa all my life and never heard of International Beaver Day...
I'm not sure what would represent Iowa, though... Maybe Castform, since the weather here is always changing. There's a saying that's something like, "If you don't like the weather in Iowa, wait five minutes." And while that's definitely an exaggeration, there's certainly some truth behind it. The temperature can go from extremely cold to extremely hot, and vice versa. Not to mention precipitation is all over the place... we might get an average amount of rain one summer, but the next, a drought or a flood. Similarly, in winter, it can get cold and snowy, or it won't do much aside from getting a little chillier. also tornadoes are a blast.

I feel like Deerling/Sawsbuck or even Stantler would work for Pennsylvania other then Bronzong since PA is known for large clusters of deer throughout the state.

Hum...Exeggutor for either Florida or California because I can only think of palm trees, Weezing for New York (despite that Weezing matched L.A.), Bellossom for Hawaii for obvious reasons, Magmortar for Texas because of the weather and association with cowboys' guns and Braviary for the state which has the most native American people and that I can't find which is it.

9Tailz, here in Colorado we say the same thing about the weather too, that if you don't like it to wait five minutes. We could have it be chilly in the morning, rain afternoon and then have the sun come out and dry things up before nightfall. We've gotten more snow during the 'early spring' then we had all winter. And I'm sure we're not the only two states that could have that saying or that Pokemon

Literally everywhere has that saying.

@Leaf Ranger, The state with the highest Native American population seems to be California, but the largest percentage is Alaska. However, North and South Dakota have like zero distinguishing features I can think of off the top of my head besides having a high percentage of Native Americans, so I'd say one of those.

Are US territories included, too?

lol, i had no idea everywhere else said that. Nevermind then, I've got nothing. :p

This looks interesting. As a non-American I only really know about the "big" states, but I guess I can do some reasarch.

One thing I did want to suggest is Remoraid for Florida. I have no clue how accurate this is, but we hear about a LOT of gun violence in the state against tourists, and Remoraid being a gun just fits to perfectly. Theother thing I associate with Florida, the coast/surfing, also fits Remoraid's Water-Type.

Agree completely with Bellossom for Hawaii, btw.

Celever said:
One thing I did want to suggest is Remoraid for Florida. I have no clue how accurate this is, but we hear about a LOT of gun violence in the state against tourists, and Remoraid being a gun just fits to perfectly. Theother thing I associate with Florida, the coast/surfing, also fits Remoraid's Water-Type.

I uh... I don't know I've never heard that before (no i don't live in Florida)
Almost wanna suggest Pikachu because Disney World is in Florida

Maryland – Clamperl – I associate them with good clam chowder.

Clam chowder? I've lived in Maryland my whole life and I've never known us to be famous for clam chowder. Pretty sure we're known more for crabs, so Krabby or Kingler would be more appropriate.

Klinklang- Michigan because of robotics

Tropius- Florida because they grows lots of foods there and Tropius has Bananas

Braiviary - DC (If it counts) cause Murica

Torkal- Hawaii because of volcanoes

Muk- North Dakota because of the recent oil discoveries there

Volcanion and Hawaii because of the Volcanos, but also because of all the water.

Clam chowder? I've lived in Maryland my whole life and I've never known us to be famous for clam chowder. Pretty sure we're known more for crabs, so Krabby or Kingler would be more appropriate.
Well, this is one old forum, but it's interesting so I'll speak.

Yeah, I know it doesn't say Maryland on my profile right now. Because I live in Texas in the summers. But I live in Washington DC during the rest of the year. I'm guessing when he said clams, he may have meant oysters? I'm guessing it has something to do with the Chesapeake Bay...

In my opinion, I'd put down Cloyster, because the Chesapeake Bay, the third largest Bay on the planet, used to be very well known for their oysters. Cloyster is perfect for that. But if your thinking in terms of the ocean, then yeah, Krabby and Kingler make sense.

(This may be just me, but the amount of stereotypes here are unreal...)

Well, this is one old forum, but it's interesting so I'll speak.

Yeah, I know it doesn't say Maryland on my profile right now. Because I live in Texas in the summers. But I live in Washington DC during the rest of the year. I'm guessing when he said clams, he may have meant oysters? I'm guessing it has something to do with the Chesapeake Bay...

In my opinion, I'd put down Cloyster, because the Chesapeake Bay, the third largest Bay on the planet, used to be very well known for their oysters. Cloyster is perfect for that. But if your thinking in terms of the ocean, then yeah, Krabby and Kingler make sense.

(This may be just me, but the amount of stereotypes here are unreal...)

I lived in Maryland for 24 years of my life and I've heard much more about their crabs than their oysters. Even from the Bay.

I lived in Maryland for 24 years of my life and I've heard much more about their crabs than their oysters. Even from the Bay.
I knew there were crabs in the bay, I just never heard of them being much more famous than the oysters, since the CBF puts heavy emphasis on those things because of the need for them to bring the bay back.

Back