P!P/Rules Should Seismitoad EX be Banned for Standard and Expanded?

If if if if if

And that's exactly the issue with Toad. If. If you hit a lot of stuff vs a lot of decks, you'll always win. The problem is that you have to draw all the items you need on the first turn, which isn't likely. You can play Xerosic, but that's only if you draw it, since you can't search for it. And that's only if they whiff the DCE. Same with all the other supposed counters.

You do have to have everything go right in order to get Xerosic / Head Ringer. The way Toad decks play (Item draw for days and burn through deck easily) makes it pretty much near impossible that the Toad player won't get a DCE even after a Xerosic. The player can also just recycle them again and again using Trump Card.

You will have dead draws against any deck not just against Seismitoad EX. If you are really worried about Seismitoad EX then make your deck so it dosnt need the items to function properly, dont start complaining and saying the card is broken and should be banned. When you play agianst a Toad deck you need to set yourself up to compete by getting your way around status conditions out quickly or playing your items as quickly as you can. Every time I have played against a Toad deck It has been a close game and almost every time I have been able to get the Seismitoad EX player to whiff on a DCE and have an explosive turn. Should Exegguter be banned because it shuts down the use of Supporters. No so why would a card that shuts down items be banned. If Seismitoad EX was such a broken card then every deck would be playing it and every deck that won tournamnets would have it in the deck. There were a lot of Seismitoad EX decks that did win tournamnets but what about the other decks that didnt have any toads how did they win? By playing smart and being paitient.

I wouldn't want it banned, but I wouldn't blame someone for making a no toad house rule (along with Pyroar and Enhanced Hammers).

I have a lot of extra time on my hands at work so I was looking through cards to see if there are any other potential Seismitoad EX counters. There are a few that are very under the radar but could be decent toad counters. First would be Munna from Boundries crossed with the long distance hypnosis, the sleep flip could buy a turn or two with item use. Froslass from Plasma Blast could lead to a bad day for toad players because they dont usually play very many basic energy downfall to the card would be it is a stage 1 and needs to be active. Qwilfish from Flash Fire if the toad attacks it it does 20 damage to the toad, and only for a double colorless energy it can do 20 damage as well as poision the toad. Toxicroak EX is a big one that I kinda wish I played as a one of at the michigan state tournamnet after looking at it more. Fore a double Coloress it can do triple poision and most toad decks already run Virbank city gym so inbetween turns it does 60 damage and it only has a single energy retreat cost, and can do big damage to Pyroar as well. I know the post is a little off topic but I think it is relevant to the thread.

The only reason why Seismitoad is broken in this format is because of LaserBank, which allows it to do enough damage to be its own deck. When LaserBank rotates, Toad can no longer be its own deck. Until then, however, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it.

I think Seismitoad EX decks will still be played after laser bank rotates but it will lose some of its power.

An odd, but may be an effective counter is Rock Guard. Stick a high HO basic and make them take 6 damage counters every time they quaking punch you.

Again.....It's only one card that you can't guarantee to have in play before they QP you.

It is terribly annoying, but you have to just deal with it and move on. Getting mad and making a dedicated counter deck will do nothing but (most likely) ruin your odds of dealing with the other decks in the format. Virbank is leaving soon as well, so it'll make it much more bearable, as others have said.

Not to mention that time when someone brings their Toad.dek counter, proceeds to face none of them and goes 0-x. XD

And PLEASE don't run Rock Guard. It's so laughable as an Ace Spec.

Ironman131 said:
You will have dead draws against any deck not just against Seismitoad EX. If you are really worried about Seismitoad EX then make your deck so it dosnt need the items to function properly, dont start complaining and saying the card is broken and should be banned. When you play agianst a Toad deck you need to set yourself up to compete by getting your way around status conditions out quickly or playing your items as quickly as you can. Every time I have played against a Toad deck It has been a close game and almost every time I have been able to get the Seismitoad EX player to whiff on a DCE and have an explosive turn. Should Exegguter be banned because it shuts down the use of Supporters. No so why would a card that shuts down items be banned. If Seismitoad EX was such a broken card then every deck would be playing it and every deck that won tournamnets would have it in the deck. There were a lot of Seismitoad EX decks that did win tournamnets but what about the other decks that didnt have any toads how did they win? By playing smart and being paitient.

But that's the problem. You can't get out of status quickly or play your items unless you get lucky in the first turn of the game. 5 out of the 7 decks I faced at the states I went to this weekend used Toad--I beat 3 of them. The games I won, I had a good opening hand, played my items turn one, and then was ahead of it for the rest of the game. The games I lost, I didn't hit an explosive hand turn 1, and I whiffed everything for the rest of the game due to item lock. Just because Toad doesn't win every tournament (although the decks that use toad dwarf the results table compared to other decks--I think week 1 something like 60+% of the decks used Toad), it's still stupid because the way you beat it isn't reliant on something within the player's control. When you get a Toad to whiff a DCE, you got lucky. Because Toad shuts off search cards, every deck must draw into what it needs, making it a luckfest.

And the problem isn't simply item lock, it's the ease at which that item lock is obtained. Gothitelle and Trevenant both require evolutions--and both require another attacker that can switch into them because their attack sucks. Both are slow and clunky--so despite item lock being extremely powerful, it was balanced out by the difficulty of using the card. Seismitoad can function on it's own and is a basic that can attack with a single energy card, so item lock can consistently start on turn 1 or 2 and can be kept up the entire game with little trouble.

Also, you cannot build your deck to function without items--because you need items to beat every other deck in the format. That's partially why it's so easy to dead draw against toad--because you are required to play VS Seeker so that you aren't at an inherent disadvantage against other decks, yet those VS Seekers make up a part of your supporter line that can't be played vs Toad.

I don't think this argument is going anywhere because it's not often people change their views on a given card, but I want to point that EVERY time a new card or mechanic is introduced, people defend it on the basis of "just be a better player and deal with it." It's a frustrating argument because it's almost obvious. Yeah, you have to learn how to deal with what the game throws at you to be a better player. But you don't have to accept that those cards or mechanics are good for the game. Learning how to deal with a card and analyzing whether it should exist are too entirely separate discussions. I mentioned earlier that I beat a majority of the Toad decks I faced this weekend--I said that because it points out that I'm well aware the card is beatable. That doesn't mean it's good for the game. I can complain about the card yet figure out the best way to play against it at the same time and not be contradicting myself.

Blah's post just won the Olympics. Not much else to add.

The whole "Oh, I only need to draw ALL my useful items first turn and play them and I win" is a pretty flawed mindset.

And about the Exeggutor point, it's in the same boat as Gothetelle and Trevenant: Another terribly weak evolution that needs another attacker to be successful. And to be honest, there are enough draw and search items to still be able to play off no Supporter for that turn, for the most part.

Almost forgot that it's Basic gets wrecked by spread if you can deal with or shut off the Mimes.

I think Blah's posts are the crowning argument against Toad, and now for my own two cents.

Just because LaserBank is leaving doesn't mean that Toad goes away. 30 for 2 Colorless isn't fantastic, yeah; decks that need items, however, are still locked off. The difference between Toad with LaserBank and Toad without LaserBank is that one just takes longer.

Laserbank rotating out also means that Seismitoad decks will open 6 to 7 slots to find interesting alternatives that will keep Seismitoad decks a force to be reckoned with.

Perfect_Shot said:
It is terribly annoying, but you have to just deal with it and move on. Getting mad and making a dedicated counter deck will do nothing but (most likely) ruin your odds of dealing with the other decks in the format. Virbank is leaving soon as well, so it'll make it much more bearable, as others have said.

Not to mention that time when someone brings their Toad.dek counter, proceeds to face none of them and goes 0-x. XD

And PLEASE don't run Rock Guard. It's so laughable as an Ace Spec.
It's a good Ace Spec for Seismitoad to play, actually.

Why does everyone whine about Toad so much? The primal "abilities" like P Groudon, Swampert, P Kyogre CANNOT be shut off or worked around and seem a little OP to me. Just a thought.

Seismitoad is not as op as you think. There is something called ENERGY. If you run a pokemon with attacks that do not take much energy, it cannot be that hard. At least for me. Although Seismitoad should have 1 water 1 colorless instead of just needing a DCE.

theliercat said:
Why does everyone whine about Toad so much? The primal "abilities" like P Groudon, Swampert, P Kyogre CANNOT be shut off or worked around and seem a little OP to me. Just a thought.
I totally agree! All you need is a Primal Groudon/Kyogre! At least its not like Pyroar. All you need is a grass EX with energy and BOOM.

I don't think so because no one thought it was broken before it was a Tier S. I mean, no one thought Yveltal or Donphan was broken even when they were Tier S decks.

theliercat said:
Yes they can, you just Lysandre them up and do damage before they Primal Revert.

Ironman131 said:
Blah you were playing a donphan deck at states which has a bad matchup against Seismitoad EX as it is.

That's not necessarily true due to the tech 1-1-1 Groudon line. If you can get Groudon rolling then you pretty much win.

Back