What Color is This Dress?

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
It's not dumb. I love the dress. It's so interesting. I want to know more colours that are "at the boundary" like this.

I can see it in both combinations, white-gold and blue-black. The colours have "changed" even right in front of my eyes several times.

GarbodorLover

Check out my art thread, "Abstract Pokémon Art"!
Teal said:
It's not dumb. I love the dress. It's so interesting. I want to know more colours that are "at the boundary" like this.

I can see it in both combinations, white-gold and blue-black. The colours have "changed" even right in front of my eyes several times.

I see it as both colors too, so I'm mostly undecided on what color it is. However, I found a video that answers the question once and for all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskAQwOBvhc

Drohn

Wild War Dance
GarbodorLover said:
Teal said:

I see it as both colors too, so I'm mostly undecided on what color it is. However, I found a video that answers the question once and for all.

Interesting. I definitely believe the dress is black and blue, but I also perceive it as white and gold. Based on the example in the video, my brain should be able to adjust to the actual colour if I remove all context, but for some reason, that doesn't happen for me (I tried covering the other parts with my hands).

I also think it's weird my brain doesn't correct itself when I already know the actual colours. It's like my brain and I aren't the same person nor share the same knowledge. o_O

Why are you doing this to me, brain?!?!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Drohn said:
GarbodorLover said:

Interesting. I definitely believe the dress is black and blue, but I also perceive it as white and gold. Based on the example in the video, my brain should be able to adjust to the actual colour if I remove all context, but for some reason, that doesn't happen for me (I tried covering the other parts with my hands).

I also think it's weird my brain doesn't correct itself when I already know the actual colours. It's like my brain and I aren't the same person nor share the same knowledge. o_O

Why are you doing this to me, brain?!?!
You learn how an illusions works but you still get tricked. Normal.

le Roi-Soleil

PokéBeach Staff Alumnus
GadgetJax said:
The dress is the same color as my face when I go to the gym

Me, too.

And really, as others have said, it's quite far from pointless. Perhaps, and quote me on this, this tasteless dress will go down in internet history as one of the most important posts of 2015. Yes, of course that may sound preposterous, but quote me on it...

This is the beauty of science. The continued discussion of this hideous dress will be remembered not only because of the mesmerizing colors and display of lighting but also for its valuable contribution to sparking scientific discourse. We need more things like this on the internet that insinuate scientific learning and that promote the general knowledge of the populace. tl;dr Science, bitch!

So I say go ahead, discuss this horrid dress. Just don't ever wear one.

Huderon of Canossa

Deranged Tinkerer
Oh, it's that dress that my folks have bugged me about a few weeks back. Remember that very well, since everyone raved about it so much. I'll share my thoughts from then:

My first answer was that it was Blue and Brown. This was before I was told of the actual colour choices. Blue and Brown. After I was told to pick Blue/Black or White/Gold, I went with Blue/Black.

This is simply because I thought the black was recieving reflected sunlight to look brown - from my own experience I can attest that my very very black hair looks chestnut brown in direct sunlight. Couple that with the quality of the photo, led me to believe that in fact, I was looking at a Blue and Black dress. The Blue also looked like it had a slightly warm tinge to it.

Now here's the thing, if I were to assume that there was a secondary, bluer, dimmer, light-source (lamp? TV? Computer?) and that the sunlight did not go as far as I had initially assumed - I would instead say that light has caused the White/Gold dress to take a bluish hue, leaving the gold looking darker and duller too - because of reduced yellow/orange/whatever wavelengths being emitted by the light source, the gold absorbs the majority of the light and reflects less back to our eyes. At least, I think that's how it works.

There's no reason from the picture alone to assume there wouldn't be such a light source...

Essentially, the Blue/Black choice I made was simply because the black>>brown situation via sunlight was more familiar to me than the White>>Blue. Most of the lights in my house are yellowish. My experiences just happened to have leaned that way. Could have easily leaned the other way had my experiences with light have been different. Perhaps if I was in a mostly white/bluish light household instead, I would more readily believe my second reasoning. Could this be the reason both combinations are being touted as viable? (Before the actual colours were revealed, anyway). Perhaps, perhaps not.

I definitely disagree that it has anything to do with colour-blindness, something my relatives have surmised. It might, but I sincerely doubt that is the sole reason.

Part of me wonders why I am taking this seriously. I guess I felt it was just something a bit more interesting than saying how ridiculous this whole thing is.

EDIT: Just skimmed this thread, and that xkcd comic literally shows what I meant in a simple picture. I should've read the whole thread before posting. Sorry for repeating what has already been said, everyone!

HarZard

Aspiring Trainer
This reminds me of the bald Michelle Obama thing: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/michelle-obamas-bald-hairdo-jeopardy-raises-questions-29897536