Primal Kyogre EX Variants

Kecleon-X

124c41+
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Primal Kyogre EX variants, including the standard version, and the Speed Archie version. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Pokémon: 7
  • 3 Primal Kyogre EX
  • 4 Kyogre EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Skyla
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Dive Ball
  • 3 Kyogre Spirit Link
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 3 Rough Seas
Energy: 12
  • 12 Water Energy
Open Spots: 8

Strategy:
There isn't too much of a strategy to a Primal Kyogre EX deck. You simply attach Energy to Primal Kyogre and use Tidal Storm for huge damage. With its high HP, it can survive most attacks, or even some 2 hit KOs. With the large amount of space available in the deck, it has a lot of different ways you can play it. It's main issue it has is being a tad slow. The earlier the deck can do anything is turn 3, and by that point some decks have already taken 2 prizes off of you. But decks that are unable to get the leg up on you will be in for a serious thrashing.

Good Additions:
  • Keldeo EX and Float Stone
  • Kyurem PLF
  • Suicune PLB and Double Colorless Energy
  • Weakness Policy
  • Mega Turbo
  • Shrine of Memories

Last edited by a moderator:

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
I use Kyurem LTR and Kyurem PLF to help spread the damage which goes well with Primal Kyogre EX's Tidal Storm doing 30 to the opponent's EXs on the bench. After using a Tidal Storm, you could move the energy to Kyurem LTR to help power Glaciate up. These also help with Safeguard Pokemon.

I use Escape Rope instead of switch because the opponent has to switch their active (Mostly likely a 170/180 HP EX with their bench) so then you could bring another Primal Kyogre EX up to the active and use Tidal Storm to snipe 30 on the already hit EX from that active. (Most likely having only 30 HP left) Then you can do 150 damage to a new Pokemon.

Tool Retriever might be a good addition so Team Flare Tools don't block Spirit Links.

2 Prof letters seem like the min in my opinion because you need to have a lot of energy so Alpha Growth is consistently used to power up Primal Kyogre EX.

Tell me what you guys think. I have plenty more to say on this deck.

Vinub

Aspiring Trainer
I was thinking on something like that:

Pokémon: 10
  • 3 Primal Kyogre EX
  • 3 Kyogre EX
  • 1 Seismitoad EX
  • 2 Kyurem PLF
  • 1 Manaphy PC
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 38
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 1 Professor Birch
  • 2 Skyla
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Teammates
  • 2 VS Seeker
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 3 Kyogre Spirit Link
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Escape Rope
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Superior Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 1 Tool Retriever
  • 4 Silent Lab
Energy: 12
  • 12 Water Energy

destinymaster7

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all,
I've been working on a list, and it's very similar to other lists, but how does kyogre deal with the toad? dealing more damage is the obvious out, But if he locks us before spirit-linking, or head-ringers the kyogre, I feel it could be an issue. I considered suicune, but the toads best friend is garbodor, so suicune is probably irrelevant. This is all purely theoretic, but I'm testing the match-up extensively in about a week (when a friend of mine comes to town). I was just hoping to get other people's opinion on the match-up.

Thanks

Majoras

Aspiring Trainer
I have been playing a pure 4-4 Kyogre deck. Its super destroyer, most of the times you just need 1 pokemon the entire match. I've beaten yveltas, seismeitoads, lucarios, gengars, pyroars, manectrics. It has a hard time against donphan cause of the robo subs but donphan is a species in extinction, but might make a comeback cause of teammates. I bet it totally gets wrecked by VirGen, but maybe just maybe some weakness policys can make a valid effort.

All i know is that i was once lost, but now I've found kyogre, and is a total beast.

dopestsupreme

Aspiring Trainer
Mind sharing your deck list?
Majoras said:
I have been playing a pure 4-4 Kyogre deck. Its super destroyer, most of the times you just need 1 pokemon the entire match. I've beaten yveltas, seismeitoads, lucarios, gengars, pyroars, manectrics. It has a hard time against donphan cause of the robo subs but donphan is a species in extinction, but might make a comeback cause of teammates. I bet it totally gets wrecked by VirGen, but maybe just maybe some weakness policys can make a valid effort.

All i know is that i was once lost, but now I've found kyogre, and is a total beast.

Majoras

Aspiring Trainer
its a strong start, and if the opponent has a quick way to deal with it its going to struggle, but if they dont, thats it, i suggest not benching anything, since the effect of kyogre goes away if theres nothing in the bench, and u dont get rid of your energies, you could just litterally hit and hit and hit, and if they bench EXs, sometimes u can lysandre for 4 prizes in 1 turn.
since Mkyo needs 4 energies to attack, u dont need the spirit link for the first evolution, just do kyo-attach energie next turn- attach energie-Mkyo and then if you got the energie in hand, u could just fully power up, and heal whatever chip damage uve got with lady, its good. fast, but hammers slow him down.

http://imgur.com/82kus2c

dopestsupreme said:
Majoras said:

Vinub

Aspiring Trainer
Majoras said:
its a strong start, and if the opponent has a quick way to deal with it its going to struggle, but if they dont, thats it, i suggest not benching anything, since the effect of kyogre goes away if theres nothing in the bench, and u dont get rid of your energies, you could just litterally hit and hit and hit, and if they bench EXs, sometimes u can lysandre for 4 prizes in 1 turn.
since Mkyo needs 4 energies to attack, u dont need the spirit link for the first evolution, just do kyo-attach energie next turn- attach energie-Mkyo and then if you got the energie in hand, u could just fully power up, and heal whatever chip damage uve got with lady, its good. fast, but hammers slow him down.

dopestsupreme said:

I tried using your deck, but I had a lot of trouble. I made a few edits on my previous deck:
http://imgur.com/zAcUqQ9

dopestsupreme

Aspiring Trainer
Ive been playing a 3-3 line also but the biggest problem Ive had was to find 2 other pokemon to give Primal Kyogre an advantage. Ive tried Toad-Outrage Kyurem EX-Baby Kyurem with Outrage-Huntail Nothing has really worked yet besides Safeguard Suicune and yes I do play with 1 DCE. Unless Kyogre was meant to be played with a 4/4...?
Vinub said:
Majoras said:

I tried using your deck, but I had a lot of trouble. I made a few edits on my previous deck:
http://imgur.com/zAcUqQ9

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
I was discussing with someone the possible usefulness of Manaphy PLS. Manaphy might be a little unreliable at accelerating energy. But being able to get at least 2 energy from the discard after a Kyogre goes down is pretty strong. Then when manaphy goes down you grab and card that helps your set up. If you also happen to have access to Teammates that one turn, you now get to take any 3 cards from your deck.

If you can play down your entire hand, grab an Ace in the Hole to throw down the Primal Kyogre Ex that previously got discarded. Grab that Lysandre for the final 2 prizes.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Great idea Ivy_Profen.

I think I will use a 3/1 split with Manaphy PRC and Manaphy PLS

I love Manaphy PRC because it can help Primal Kyogre set up under Item Lock.

theJelly

Aspiring Trainer
I've been testing it with 3-3 Primal Kyogre, 2-2-2 Eelektross PCL,1 Suicune. Eelektross lets you move energy back to the active from anywhere with it's ability so you don't need to worry about having two more in hand every turn. It's not too bad, but is a bit clunky early game.

Hexogen

Merc W140
i play kyogre too and had success with it! In my opinion a must have is Keldeo EX if you dont play enough Escape ropes nor Switches. Escape Rope is nice cause its like a Lysandre + switch in one but sucks if your opponent brings a wall up.
My list contains a thin 2-1-2 Blastoise line along with 2 Candys just to be sure you get as many energies as you need. Also helpful against safeguarders. I know that it seems not necessary in P Kyogre but i often had the problem that i am alone with a kyogre EX with only 1 energy card attached to it.
but if you manage to get 1 p kyogre fully powered up and a second one waitingon the bench it is pretty much game, no Blastoise needed. Make sure to play enough letters, energy retrieval (the normal one for 2 energies) and maybe the dowsing mashine to make sure the energy is flowing.

totodile_it_down

Rogue Life
I've come up with a couple different ideas to match P-Kyogre with, both with very little testing.

Idea #1: 3-3 P-Kyogre with 4 Jynx. With Rough Seas and Pokemon Center Lady, this thing absolutely tanks. Energy Switches, regular Switches, Scramble Switch, and Energy Retrieval allow this thing to keep a fully loaded P-Kyogre ready to attack at all times. I've actually tested this one and it does pretty well. Grass attackers are obviously an issue, but a tech Spiritomb and a couple Weakness Policy can hopefully make the matchup not an auto-loss.

Idea #2: 3-3 P-Kyogre with a 2-2-2 Dusknoir line. I have not tested this at all, and it already sounds clunky, but the math is interesting. You drop 150 on the active and spread 30 to each of the benched EXs with P-Kyogre. On the next turn you manipulate the bench damage to KO the active EX, forcing them to bring in a new active Pokemon. From there you further manipulate the damage, Lysandre as necessary, and collect KO's at will. Again, it sounds clunky, but it would seem to have potential.

As someone mentioned above, I'm having trouble coming up with a good partner for this guy. Seismitoad EX doesn't seem like the answer because you're not going to want to run DCE, plus I don't know if I'd want to dedicate 2 of my energy to the Toad so he can only do 30 damage (these decks are unlikely to run too many Muscle Band and likely not LaserBank either). Kyurem PLF is interesting, as is Manaphy PLC, but I feel like this deck needs something that can sit out front and take a hit while it gets set up. Wailord? Probably not. Anyone else come up with anything brilliant?

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
I think Kyurem LTR is a good partner because Glaciate helps spread damage. I don't think this deck needs something to "wall" while Primal Kyogre is setting up because it only takes 3/4 turns. I use the manaphys in my deck so that's what I like to start with.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
In the deck that pooka posted he uses Victiny EX and suicune in the deck.

I think pairing it with Victiny EX is a smart move because of the grass weakness. A victory piece Victiny EX can OHKO almost all fire weak pokemon aside from mega''s for free. Suicune could be used as your wall but is also a solid non-ex attacker to get around safeguarders. Not sure if these are the best to pair with Primal kyogre but they are solid.

Bruno Miguel

Aspiring Trainer
I made a kyogre deck featuring Huntail, but I discart the idea 'cause I wasn't having the result I wanted.
Now, I use in my deck 3-3 p kyogre, 1 plasma kyurem, 1 LTR kyurem (each one has their on time do move, plasma kyurem is a good starter, and LTR kyurem is good as a finisher.) 1 Seismitoad EX which can be a little bit slow but some times can help a lot, specially against deck that needs lots of items like night march. and suicune safeguard to protect you when you set your primal kyogres

Ramonsoft

Aspiring Trainer
Nobody has tried to play Kyogre with Black Ballista? I think that is a powerfull combo.

When i get the Kyogre's im gonna replace the blastoise in the deck, i think 3-3 Primal Kyogre is good, with 2 Keldeos as secondary atackers, 2 ballistas and 2 suicunes as wall.

THIRTEEN

Aspiring Trainer
Black Ballist is betterly paired with Megaman, at least in my opinion, as the damage you deal with Turbo Bolt puts even megas in KO reach for Kyurem