Night March Variants

NicoSpot

i like charizard
Advanced Member
RE: Night March

Imo, running Night March without Eeveelutions gives you a great matchup against EX-heavy decks, a poor matchup against non-EX decks, and autolosses to all Pyroar and Seismitoad decks. There are lots of creative decks running around right now that don't just focus on Yveltal or Genesect or any of the stars of the past format, and many of those decks use Seismitoad or Stage 1/2s as a focal point.

In terms of the Flareon discussion, you should already handle VirGen pretty easily. Aegislash makes metal a pretty tough matchup so an extra Flareon could help some (as long as you run plenty of basic energy), but I find Leafeon to be more important since otherwise you just fold to Seismitoad. Personally, I run 2 Leafeon and 1 Flareon. I could add another Flareon, but I'm tight on space and I'm not sure if it's worth the spot.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Elbow said:
I'm pretty sure Audino is a 1-of staple in this deck?

I've literally never seen an Audino in this deck....

I know that Josh Wittenkeller(Jwittz, popular for Prof-it and Nintendo-Fact-Of-The-Day) uses 1 Audino in his build of NightMarch/Flareon, just to get around Special Conditions and boost the damage on Flareon a tiny bit. I wouldn't call Audino a staple for this deck, but since you'll just have 1 of it in the deck, I'd say it's probably worth the space.

THIRTEEN

Aspiring Trainer

J-Wittz is no longer as good as he was, AND the fact that he uses it proves nothing, even pro-players make weird, sometimes even bad decisions on their decklists.

totodile_it_down

Rogue Life

I played Pooka and his Eeveelution-Night March deck at the Janesville Cities and he used Audino.

Is he as good as he used to be?

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer

Yeah Pooka and Jwittz are still profesional pokemon players they are still among the best players in the world.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head

totodile_it_down said:
I played Pooka and his Eeveelution-Night March deck at the Janesville Cities and he used Audino.

Is he as good as he used to be?
Just because one player uses a card it doesn't mean that that card is a good addition. Instead of trying to show that a good player plays Audino could you list some reasons why you think Audino is good in this deck?

Talkingcat

Aspiring Trainer

Just because one player uses a card it doesn't mean that that card is a good addition. Instead of trying to show that a good player plays Audino could you list some reasons why you think Audino is good in this deck?

I guess there could be two reasons. First, your Pokemon are so fragile, if you a few hit it's a KO. You can lose position in the prize trade and lose a Night March attacker you can't afford to. Second, after you have done the healing it goes into the discard, and so boosts Flareon's Vengeance attack.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head

Talkingcat said:

I guess there could be two reasons. First, your Pokemon are so fragile, if you a few hit it's a KO. You can lose position in the prize trade and lose a Night March attacker you can't afford to. Second, after you have done the healing it goes into the discard, and so boosts Flareon's Vengeance attack.

Your pokemon are so fragile that if they are attacked then they will be knocked out. Healing doesn't delay a knockout on them. You will heal with Audino then they will knock it out like they were going to.

The Night Marchers are so much more efficient than Flareon. This deck tends to focus more on Night Marchers rather than Flareon so I don't think that a card that only benefits Flareon is worth it. The Night Marchers are so much more efficient than Flareon.

Talkingcat

Aspiring Trainer

Camoclone said:
Your pokemon are so fragile that if they are attacked then they will be knocked out. Healing doesn't delay a knockout on them. You will heal with Audino then they will knock it out like they were going to.

Yeah, sorry, I don't know why I put that. Originally I was planning to say that it was the special condition, specifically waking up- that the Pokemon are just so fragile you don''t want to miss a turn because of a missed flip after a laser. I half composed the reply, started again and for some reason said this instead.

Agree that the synergy with Revenge is not that great though.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head

I wouldn't be insanely worried about status conditions anymore. It can be clutch in some situations but people don't really play laser right now.

SpiralingTides

Aspiring Trainer

Dowsing Machine allows an extra use of DCE. Is that relevant enough to use it over Computer Search? I'm leaning towards no on this, but I think it's a consideration at least.

bsguedes

You shall not pass!

SpiralingTides said:
Dowsing Machine allows an extra use of DCE. Is that relevant enough to use it over Computer Search? I'm leaning towards no on this, but I think it's a consideration at least.

I'm not following here: why/how would a Dowsing Machine allow an extra use of DCE?

SpiralingTides

Aspiring Trainer

Don't mind me. This happens every time I post something after I just wake up, I always tell myself not to, but I do anyways. I swear, I'm not actually an idiot.

While we're on the topic though, how does everyone handle the DCE shortage? Placing two regular energy on a pokemon while you're trading works and all, but we should be able to do better.

Cookie-Knight

Aspiring Trainer

How about playing just one Mew EX and a Life Dew. Get Mew ex out, when only one joltik is left, atach an basic energy and life dew and get 1-2 OHKO with it. That way, you can get up to 2 more attacks with your deck and dont risk that your opponent wins because he/she draw 2 prices for Mew.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

Cookie-Knight said:
How about playing just one Mew EX and a Life Dew. Get Mew ex out, when only one joltik is left, atach an basic energy and life dew and get 1-2 OHKO with it. That way, you can get up to 2 more attacks with your deck and dont risk that your opponent wins because he/she draw 2 prices for Mew.

The reason I'm not a huge fan of that is because I love the consistency Computer Search brings to this deck. This deck is one that needs to go off fast, and if it doesn't, it loses. Putting in Life Dew can really hinder your consistency at the worst times. Being able to search for any one card, while discarding Pokemon from your hand at the same time, can win you games more often than you think.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer

I think this deck is better now that repeat ball and teammates exist. I'd opt to play this with no EXes to force an opponent to take all 6 prizes one at a time.

tototavros

Aspiring Trainer

pokedan24 said:
I think this deck is better now that repeat ball and teammates exist. I'd opt to play this with no EXes to force an opponent to take all 6 prizes one at a time.

Which still leaves you with the problem of having to stream attackers which all rely on DCE, which can be quite difficult given that you can only have 4 DCE in your deck and you can only search them 1 time (Computer Search, twice with Dowsing Machine) guaranteed, and for the others, you need to rely on Teammates.

By playing Mew, you can go with only a basic attachment, and still be able stream attackers allowing you to keep up. Also, the high (relatively) hp of Mew (120 compared to 60 w/ Pumpkaboo and 30 w/ Joltik) allows Mew to survive hits that normally rip the other 2 apart (Toolless Assault Laser, Hammerhead+Boosts, Banded Emerald Slash...).

Cookie-Knight

Aspiring Trainer

Machamp The Champion said:
Cookie-Knight said:

The reason I'm not a huge fan of that is because I love the consistency Computer Search brings to this deck. This deck is one that needs to go off fast, and if it doesn't, it loses. Putting in Life Dew can really hinder your consistency at the worst times. Being able to search for any one card, while discarding Pokemon from your hand at the same time, can win you games more often than you think.

I dont really think CS is necessary. I play this deck without it and it "runs" trought the whole game. At the end of Each game I only have about 2-3 more Cards left in my Deck.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member

Night March could have a few things going for it once Primal Clash becomes playable. If P-Groudon and P-Kyogore become popular decks, Night March offers both a strategic counter in its playstyle and a hard counter in Leafeon. With both Kyogre and Groudon requiring lots of energy and being weak to Grass, Leafeon PLF will inflict serious damage, if not KO outright. Couple that with the fact that it can come out in one trun via Eevee FFI, and you have something pretty scary.

Repeat Ball will also be helpful, as will Teammates. Since the deck runs 4 copies of each Night Marcher, Repeat Bal is an easy way to get them out, or to simply put one in your hand than Juniper it away if you don't have a Battle Compressor at the ready. And with the high liklihood of your Pokemon being KOed, Teammates can be played relatively often, epsecially if you Compressor it early and VS Seeker at your convenience. Both of these will enhance Night Marche's already respectable speed.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer

^

Teammates is why I think a non EX deck could be so powerful. You get more opportunities to play it without giving up a third of your prizes. It's not always practical because there are so many strong exes, but it is advantageous.