ORAS (XY 5) and What It Might Mean for the TCG

thood

Konohagakure Shinobi
So we've already received a couple of scans for upcoming cards in the ORAS set. I've noticed that for the first time since the debut of BW, Pokemon is beginning to shift back towards more powerful Stage 1 and 2's compared to powerful basics. Looking at scans like Swampert's:

Swampert - Water - HP140
Stage 2 - Evolves from Marshtomp

α Growth: When you attach an Energy card from your hand to this Pokemon (except with an attack, Ability, or Trainer card), you may attach 2 Energy cards.

Ability: Diving Search
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for any 1 card. Shuffle your deck, then place that card on top of your deck.

[C][C][C] Hydro Pump: 40+ damage. Does 30 more damage for each [W] Energy attached to Swampert.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

This is obviously a powerful card. It technically has two abilities, and it also has a usable attack. Now let's compare this with one of the basic's from the set:

Regirock - Fighting - HP110
Basic Pokemon

Ω Barrier: Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card (excluding Pokemon Tools and Stadium cards), prevent all effect of that card done to this Pokemon.

[F] Land Maker: Search your discard pile for up to 2 Stadium cards and put them into your hand.
[F][F][F][C] Stone Edge: 80+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 40 more damage.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: ?

For a Full Art (or whatever they are going to be called) this certainly isn't too great compared to previous basics like EXs or others like Reshiram/Zekrom. It does have Omega Barrier, but those attacks are lackluster, topped off with only 110 HP, rare for these kinds of cards.

Perhaps in the upcoming leaked scans, we can see if Pokemon will continue this trend. If so, I'd like to say that I really like the way Pokemon is deciding to go with the TCG. I feel relying on Stage 2's for damage output and core strategies brings more to the table.I'm wondering what you guys think about these new scans, and don't forget to mention how you think it may effect the TCG.

Thood

RE: ORAS (XY 5) and What It Might Mean for the TGC

Regirock is pretty bad, but the others (Swampert and Sceptile) I think have a lot of potential.

Swampert should be good with energy retrieval cards and professors letter. That should make it easier to get the two attachments off. The downside is that the attack requires more than 2 attachments to hit big numbers. It's attack is good, but I'm wondering if it's good enough to carry a deck to victory, even with all the perks it has.

Sceptile is actually more intriguing to me. It's ancient trait isn't as good, but it's attacks are just perfect with Virbank and silver bangle. And it does have similar acceleration if you pair it up with the other Sceptile (ability that lets you attach an extra energy and heal 30 damage). With a cheap attack to fall back on when you're low on energy, I think Sceptile could be pretty powerful.

I like the ancient traits of both cards, especially since they are immune to Garbodor, but at the end of the day, I think it's the attacks that make these guys work. Both have above average attacks that stage 2s have been lacking these days. In Black and White, Stage 2s seemed deliberately nerfed to make EXes more powerful, but it's nice to see some balance back in the game.

Yes, it seems like they are trying to incorporate Stage 2's more...
But then I'm reminded of this:
http://pokebeach.com/2014/11/primal-kyogre-ex-primal-groudon-ex-xy-promos-in-hoenn-collection-box
Primals, while very difficult to set up, are a pain to kill. Can't be lasered, lysandred, escape roped, etc. And double attaching?
It seems like they want a different type of game with these barriers and team flare cards.

Elbow said:
Yes, it seems like they are trying to incorporate Stage 2's more...
But then I'm reminded of this:
http://pokebeach.com/2014/11/primal-kyogre-ex-primal-groudon-ex-xy-promos-in-hoenn-collection-box
Primals, while very difficult to set up, are a pain to kill. Can't be lasered, lysandred, escape roped, etc. And double attaching?
It seems like they want a different type of game with these barriers and team flare cards.

It does seem like the Primals are certainly intended to be powerful cards, however as you also stated, they are also difficult to set up. Not only does the Primal evolution rule end your turn, but the attacks are also quite pricey - 4 energy each. P Kyogre can only hit for 150 and 30 to a benched Pokemon and then must move two of its energies (although its primal ability compensates), while Groudon can hit for 100 or 200 if you can discard a stadium. These attacks aren't horrible, but they aren't screaming OP either. I certainly get a vibe that the ORAS set is shifting towards a new Meta focused more around evolutions and strategy rather than slapping down high HP basics with OP attacks to quickly take 6 prizes.

Im actually planning on building a deck around Primal Kyogre EX. Since its normal EX Version is pretty bad IMO, the Primal is awesome! the acceleration as you stated, redicoulus and you can save two of those for a next Kyogre... im just curious about the other cards in the new set and may have synergy with Kyogre. i know everyone will hate me for this but... SPIRIT LINK!!! :'D

My biggest question is just how much of a difference these alpha and omega powers can make, and how many cards in the set will have them. What makes them interesting is that they are distinct from Abilities. What this means is that Pokemon like Garbodor and Wobuffet could potentially have less influence, as they can't shut these powers off. However, the only ones we have seen seem to affect only the Pokemon that have them rather than being support for others. This could likely be the trend, and they are not replacing Abiltieis altogether as Swampert clearly has both. Regardless, it adds an interesting dynamic to the game, provided that cards with them turn out to be competitively viable. Over the years we've seen too many cards that get hyped when first revealed, but end up falling prey to the metagame.

As long as there is no holon search engine for the new power cards I'm cool with them having it.

I'm excited for the new spirit link cards, and the new special energies. I hope the set list leaks soon, or is announced officially.

Wait so on the Alpha Growth thing that Swampert and Primal Kyogre EX have, are you able to attach two energy to a Pokemon with Alpha Barrier or one energy like normal with two more?

So it looks like the "Primal Traits" or whatever they're called, are going to be very common on Pokemon in the next set. I really like the way this set islooking so far, and I'm thinking this is going to be the first time I actually buy a booster box all for myself (I usually just split them with a friend cuz I'm cheap XD )

Dark Espeon said:
Hi LoneWolf,

Alpha Growth lets you attach two instead of one energy.

Ah, Ok. That makes it much more clear. Thanks. Good to see you again, Dark Espeon!

-LoneWolf2113

Do you think there's any possibility that these Ancient Traits may only be in use while the Pokemon is active. Otherwise it's simply another ability. Why create multiple abilities on a card?

totodile_it_down said:
Do you think there's any possibility that these Ancient Traits may only be in use while the Pokemon is active. Otherwise it's simply another ability. Why create multiple abilities on a card?

I think these traits will be valid even if the Pokémon is benched (like some abilities). I believe we will have Pokémon/Trainer cards with attacks/effects aimed to specific traits (like 'search your deck for a Pokémon with an Alpha Growth', for instance).

It would be nice to see an official ruling of Alpha Growth, since although it most likely is just letting you attach an extra energy some people will probably try to say it lets you attach an extra two, since the wording can be taken either way.

There's nothing that seems to indicate that Ancient Traits only active when a Pokemon is active. I'm also fairly certain that Alpha growth simply allows you to attach two energy cards to that Pokekon instead of one during your manual attachment. Interestingly it's not restricted to basic enerrgy, so you chould attack two special energy there too. The set will be out in a couple of days, so at that point we'll know a little more. As far as it's concerned internationally, it will be two months before the cards are out stateside, so that's plenty of time to get an official answer. I'm sure the pamphlets that come with theme decks, Elite Trainer boxes, etc. will have a word or two on Ancient Traits.

Back